PDA

View Full Version : Jim Meehan's article

ID ZAGFAN
10-21-2012, 07:45 AM
October 21, 2012 in Sports
Zags not out of their depth

Gonzaga’s season opener is nearly three weeks away but the Bulldogs’ considerable depth is already being put to the test.

The public had their first opportunity to see the men’s basketball team Saturday during GU’s annual Kraziness in the Kennel. The Bulldogs held a 3-point shooting contest, won by Gary Bell Jr.’s 13-of-15 effort in the finals, and then played a 15-minute scrimmage in front of an overflow crowd at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

“We’re still kind of beat up and banged up and we had to play a couple guys out of position, but that’s kind of how we’ve looked all fall,” coach Mark Few said. “Guys shared the ball very well and ran the floor. It gives us a start to work with.”

“I think we need to establish some more toughness and a little nastiness and see how we’re going to be around the basket,” Few said. “Offensively, I’m pretty pleased, transition-wise we’re good and I think our core defense has been decent, thought it’s hard to say when you’re playing against a bunch of guys that can shoot like we have this year.”

More at the link:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/oct/21/zags-not-out-of-their-depth/

ZaGranny

3zagda
10-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the link.
"we had to play a couple guys out of position, but that’s kind of how we’ve looked all fall,” coach Mark Few said.
Who played out of position besides Guy playing forward?

ZagNative
10-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Here's Jim's Day-After post (http://www.spokesman.com/zags/blogs/sportslink/2012/oct/21/day-after-kraziness/). Lots of interesting stuff.

—On the court – keeping in mind that it was just a 15-minute scrimmage with a couple of key pieces missing (Elias Harris, sidelined with groin injury) – the Zags may have found a long-term answer at ‘3’. The only problem is Gerard Coleman, under NCAA transfer rules, has to sit out this season. The wiry, long-armed 6-4 Coleman was a force offensively, ran the floor and finished, and showed an ability to slash to the basket that has been absent in GU’s program the last few years.

“He’s a baller,” coach Mark Few said. “He can really pass. Right now his perimeter shot isn’t his strength, but it doesn’t affect how good he is on the offensive end. And he’s a heck of a finisher.”
—Kevin Pangos and David Stockton have added several pounds of muscle, which should help both guards deal with the physical demands inherent to their position (think back-court traps, absorbing contact on drives into traffic and especially at the defensive end).

—Pangos lost in the semifinals of the 3-point contest, then came up on the short end of the Red-Blue scrimmage, despite scoring 11 points on 3-of-5 3-point shooting.

“I was a loser today,” a grinning Pangos said. “I’m going to hear about it tonight.”

Beyond his 3-pointers, the move that caught my attention was when Pangos pump-faked defender Stockton into the air, took one dribble inside the 3-point arc and buried a 17-foot jumper before the defense could provide help.

It was an example of what Pangos talked about prior to GU’s first practice, that he’s worked on expanding his offensive options, i.e. driving to the hole, creating his own shot.
“He [Karnowski] has a tremendous feel, tremendous hands,” Few said. “You maybe didn’t see it tonight, but he really has nice touch on his shot. He’s just getting into the groove of how physical it is here and so much has been thrown at him. It reminds me of when ‘E’ (Elias) first got here. Everyone wants to correct everything and the language barrier … every once in a while we just have to leave him alone. But his feel for the game is exceptional.”

Few said Karnowski has passed so well during practice that he’s had to remind the center to “be a little more aggressive offensively.”
—Speaking of reminders, after watching Gary Bell Jr. make 13 of 15 in the finals of the 3-point contest, Few noticed early in the scrimmage that Bell had attempted just one shot.

“The thing with Gary is to get him to keep hunting shots,” Few said. “I mentioned it to ‘Stocks’ at the first or second timeout that Gary had taken just one shot and he just won the 3-point contest, ‘Let’s get this guy a 3.’ And David came down right away made a good penetration move and found him.”

Vanzagger
10-21-2012, 05:55 PM
shouldn't need to

It's not up to a walk on to get a future (should be) nba guy going. What is going on here?

It's a scrimmage but is this news worthy?

ZagNative
10-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Good God! Will somebody please cage this vanzagger guy and dump him by the side of the road near Ritzville?

Oregonzagnut
10-21-2012, 06:05 PM
to who?

It's not up to a walk on to get a future (should be) nba guy going. What is going on here?

It's a scrimmage but is this news worthy?

Why do you think Stockton is such a token waste of team space? Do you think Few would have asked Bakamus do such a thing? Obviously you question Bell, Few AND Stockton in one post.

It was just a simple way Mark Few chose to show how everyone on the team helps each other do their best and snap out of mental blocks or bad habits.