PDA

View Full Version : The "Your Impressions at Kraziness" Thread

BobZag
10-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Give us all your impressions and experiences at Kraziness in the Kennel. What'd you think of certain players? Who stood out? Who didn't? Give us the lowdown on these Zags, and of course, the time you had today in K2.

Thanks.

hooter73
10-20-2012, 09:37 AM
televised?

Gonzdb8
10-20-2012, 09:40 AM
if you get to campus early and are looking for something to do before its time to head into K2 stop by Jundt 110 to watch the GU Debate Team engage in a mock Presidential Debate followed by a town hall style Q&A with the audience! we'll have you out in plenty of time to go check out the kraziness!

Hoopaholic
10-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Especially for us who have to live vicariously thu those who can attend....hate it when work interrupts my fun

MDABE80
10-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Nothing on GU TV either. Would have been nice.

Baseline
10-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Is there an internet radio station that anyone is aware that will carry it.

GoGU
10-20-2012, 01:07 PM
1510 KGA has it. Live stream on their website. I know they're doing some kind of preview show from on site, but they might be doing play-by-play as well. Tom Hudson and Matt Santangelo are the hosts. 3:30-5pm

GoZAGsMang
10-20-2012, 01:08 PM
http://www.1510kga.com/

GoZAGsMang!!!

Therunner
10-20-2012, 02:27 PM
1510 KGA has it. Live stream on their website. I know they're doing some kind of preview show from on site, but they might be doing play-by-play as well. Tom Hudson and Matt Santangelo are the hosts. 3:30-5pm

Thanks for the tip, yet looked up & down the KGA site, including every GU link, website, stream, radio feed, etc, yet no where to be found...several past interviews re: K-in-K to be had, but nothing about today's event or feed or even audio at the moment...

A link or suggestion would be more than helpful or appreciated?

3zagda
10-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I have been to that KGA 1510 lives stream site via two different websites and on three different internet device( laptop, iPad, desktop) but no sound comes out. Anyone getting it to work?

GoZAGsMang
10-20-2012, 02:31 PM
GoZAGsMang!!!

madzag
10-20-2012, 02:33 PM
A link or suggestion would be more than helpful or appreciated?

Top right corner, click the "Listen Live" icon and it works, I'm listening now

This might work as a direct link to the stream:
http://player.streamtheworld.com/liveplayer.php?callsign=KGAAMAAC

ZagNative
10-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks, madzag! That last link is working great for me!

3zagda
10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Ok,
Now that it's after 3:30, the broadcast is coming in. Yay!

MDABE80
10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Well we always have Live radio. Working while listening

zagamatic
10-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Being back in the Kennel makes me feel like everything is right with the world once again!

ZagNative
10-20-2012, 02:55 PM
From twitter, shot of the KC:

https://o.twimg.com/1/proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBhMaHR0cDovL2Rpc3RpbGxlcnlpbWFnZT guaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS85ZDRkYThhODFiMDYxMWUyYWRhMzIy MDAwYTFmYmNkYl83LmpwZxQCFgASAA&s=MAsKD88dZbAsCvMNh3c1oitSW3xacanrBxvLQADKm2M

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm

Overflow crowd at the MAC for Kraziness in the Kennel. Event starts in about 7 minutes Listening to Zombie Nation playing on the radio now from the MAC.

Blitzing-Zag
10-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Wheres Kelly O?

RRZagFan
10-20-2012, 03:03 PM
No KO for introductions

gbnyba17
10-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Im nervous about no kelly in intros... hopefully he just got in trouble...

gbnyba17
10-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Meehan reporting its "unresolved issues with student life"

Blitzing-Zag
10-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Meehan reporting its "unresolved issues with student life"

Wonder what that means......

gbnyba17
10-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Probably something along the lines of getting caught drinking a beer in his dorm room...

RockandRollJames
10-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Gerard Coleman is a boss.

Baldwinzag
10-20-2012, 04:09 PM
well, I can tell you this with certainty -- one of our best & explosive [offensive] players won't be available this season (Gerard Coleman).

wow, that kid can get to the rim at will. we don't necessarily have that right now, as he's a talented penetrator/smooth in the lane/swift/uncanny nose for the rim.

Zag@LMU
10-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Gerard Coleman. One word. Wow.

Ekrub
10-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I brought my daughter and I had to watch her more than the game, but Dowers post moves were sick, Coleman was athletic and good, and Karnowski is a nimble big fella. Not the most comprehensive report, but that's all I got. Oh, and my daughter was quite intrigued with the game in between playing with "my little ponies" so that was cool

MDABE80
10-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Big time player he is. We usually don't see athletes like him. Smooth as silk, good springs.........all he needs to do is practice shooting like Kevin does. Kevin's got himself up to shooting 5-600 balls/daily now. Incredible discipline.

Coleman though......is (from what I can tell from others) is pretty special.

Zag@LMU
10-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Karnowski looks solid also. Soft hands on that dish from Pangos. Looks like he needs some work on D though, not that Dower is easy to guard by any means.

RRZagFan
10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Coleman is going to be awesome with KP and GBJ next year.i can see why those 13's are going elsewhere ,don't want to sit.Dower ,so good to see that smooth stroke again.Bell seems to be more aggressive shooting, Kyle could have pulled trigger a few more times.Karnowski , seemed a little nervous out there.
I just hope KO gets things resolved and these guys don't beat themselves up in practice to bad

bigblahla
10-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Sam was good, aggressive on both ends of the floor. As previously mentioned Coleman is a player and a backcourt of Pangos, Bell and Coleman could be scary good. watched Coleman guard GBJ he did a very good job. Edi looks to be in great shape.

Karnowski will struggle getting to the tempo of D1 but he sure looked good. His left handed hook is unstoppable it's just a matter of making them. Barham more than makes up for the loss of MM.

GBJ shot lights out in the 3 pt contest.

We are going to be very good but better with KO let's all hope his unresolved student life issues get sorted out.

Pangos was Pangos and I believe he was high scorer although he did not get credit on the scoreboard for his last three.

Let's get this party started.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagmantis2001
10-20-2012, 04:42 PM
They looked pretty good. Good time except for the "fan" that lifted my buddy's kindle at the arena. We waited in line for hours, he left it on his seat for a few minutes in the Kennel and some jackhole stole it at the end of the event.

GonzaGAW
10-20-2012, 04:51 PM
as you may have heard, olynyk was not on the court. i heard no skuttlebut as to why?

harris' injury cannot be severe, he was on the court and went thru warm up drills, but did not play.

started off with 3 point contest. barham knocked out pangos, by dropping his first 6 shots. bell bettered dranginis. bell was on fire and dropped 13 of 15 shots in the final round against barham.

best player on the blue team i think was dower, still smooth on offense, but i was impressed in how well he defended karnowski, he denied a couple of entry passes and was not pushed around. he also sent a pangos runner into the stands. gary bell looked good, made a couple of 3's and seemed in control, playing with purpose.

best player on the red team in my opinion and others around me was coleman. he is skinny! more so than carter! but he has a motor! always moving, looking to create for himself or his teamate. his high energy got himself out of defensive positions at times. but when he steps onto the court you are going to know it.

pangos said recently that he has been working on making his own shot, relying less on spot up jumpers. it was good to see he sank two long shots off the dribble. one was a great crossover move, bounce back between the legs to place himself behind the line, swoosh!

new guys...karnowski ran the floor well, but i expected more. like i said i thought dower was able to move him more than vice versa. i'm not saying he did not have a rebound but i do not recall one. positive note, he had a nice left hand hook that nobody can defend, and i though on defense he was well positioned.

dranginis, has good size and seems confident to take his shot even when 2 feet behind the arc.

we must has yet another walk on, brain bhaskar, 6-2 guard, listed as a junior. i dont think he got any playing time. could be strickly a practice guy?

Zags11
10-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Had a enjoyable time at k2. Bell was unreal in the 3pt competition. Bell and pangos played very well. Stockton played controlled hoops. Coleman was awesome, he got it to the rim with ease. Dower was too athletic for karnowski in my books. Karnowski has a nice left handed hook, but seemed a little slow.

This team has me excited for hoops. Cheers.

Oregonzagnut
10-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Anyone keep a stat sheet? Or was it simply too exciting to jot notes like that?

zagamatic
10-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Pangos- solid
BELL- a little more aggressive
Dower-showed he wants a starting spot
GLE-bigger, too small of a sample for a judgment
Coleman - can't wait til he's eligible
Dranginis- definitely shows promise
Hart- pretty much the same
Stockton - pretty much the same
Karno-obviously still adjusting, don't judge him til midseason at least
Elias - didn't appear to be too dinged up.
FEW-definitely purposely pointed out team chemistry and I see why. He's got an almost endless choice of lineups he can put out there and not lose much if anything.
Other than KO BEING ABSENT, I'm very optimistic

zagitup
10-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Some photos....

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/DSCF3782.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/IMAG0451.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/IMAG0448.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/IMAG0446.jpg

ZagNative
10-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks, Zagitup! Love the pics!

bartruff1
10-20-2012, 07:03 PM
I was expecting to hear that the Big Pole was the ANSWER ???

Now, I am reading the he is slow ?

That it will be mid season ?

Needs to improve defense ?

Sam was able to handle him ...

Has a hook shot that might go in ?

Maybe, I was expecting too much..now if you tell me, he will be "ok"... Really ?

I was reading he was going to be a two and done...a 4 star....he could run the floor.... I was expecting something like WOW... no ?

zagitup
10-20-2012, 07:07 PM
A couple of more...

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/IMAG0445.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/steveupt/IMAG0462.jpg

Like others have said, Coleman, Dower, Pangos and Bell were the stand-outs. The best pass of the day went to Dranginis, who threaded a no-look bullet to Coleman under the basket early in the scrimmage.

Two other observations: 1) I won't be surprised if GBJ improves on his fantastic 2011-12 3-point shooting percentage. The guy was 13-15 (!!!) in the 3-point contest final and 2-2 in the scrimmage outside the arc. 2) No rap on Coleman, but did anybody else notice how skinny his legs are? Man, they are twigs...find the weight room big guy.

CDC84
10-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Karnowski has a ways to go with conditioning. This was a known issue, and it should surprise no one. He can only go 4-5 minutes at a time before he gets gassed. He is simply not used to playing in an offensive system like Gonzaga's which places so much emphasis on transition.

I remind people about this every year....this is an exhibition game of the worst kind, and most of what you think the team and players look like will be completely different come the first game of the season. Elias Harris his first year totally stunk during Kraziness in the Kennel, but looked like a lottery pick on the road a couple of weeks later at Michigan State.

Baldwinzag
10-20-2012, 07:12 PM
The best pass of the day went to Draginis, who threaded a no-look bullet to Coleman under the basket early in the scrimmage.

Kyle continues to prove why the Coaches and Co. feel Dranginis is 'the most gifted and instinctual' passer on the team. They've been saying it since he arrived. Log jam at his position with experienced players, but he'll find a role sooner than later.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
In warmups, little David Stockton bounced the ball in the air from the wing, went up and caught the ball in the air and jammed it in the hoop with a one-handed slam dunk. Irrelevant to our making the Final Four this year, but it happened. I saw it and I'm impressed. :000tens:

sittingon50
10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah, the program shrunk GC an inch to 6'3" from what we were led to believe & listed at 173. His fluidity (& sideburns) reminded me of PMAC.

Karno lost the opening tip to Dower (for those keeping score). I watched him for the greatest % of the time. With no E or KO playing he & Dower had to go the whole way. I felt he ran the floor pretty well. Saw him pass Sam going from one end to the other (after made baskets) twice. Very light on his feet. It will be about matchups, but I think he will abuse some people. It's always hard to tell in a scrimmage because your "opponents" know everything you're doing & cheat that way.

Sam was the MVP, particularly early.

sittingon50
10-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Will attest to what SDGZ saw.

BTW, KC rockin' Gangnam Style before Zombie Nation. Gonna' be a fun year (particularly if they can fill their section).

bigparb
10-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Who's going to post video of the scrimmage this year? Cant make it there so always looking forward to the videos......seems like someone had em up by this time last year.....go zags!!

MTZag03
10-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Dower and GB really impressed me tonight. Dower could get around Karnowski even when boxed out during freethrows. He looks good this year.

That said, I think Karnowski will be pretty good. The guards had a lot of difficulty feeding him. The few decent feeds he had, he converted. I don't remember the line, but he had 6 or 8 points I think. I can only recall 2 missed shots. More impressive was when he set a pick for Drainginis I believe. It looked like the seas parted. There was so much room to drive. I'd love to run that against St. Mary's.

MDABE80
10-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Karno is taller than 7 ft.
Hard to believe Kevin and Gary are just sophomores. Such poise.

We will have a very very good team. E 8 caliber if they grow. Key, as it was last year, is the wing.. Edi is much improved. Kyle Dranginis is much improved when when I saw him last year. Kyle will slide over between 2 and 3 (as needed). Kelly will be back soon...I hope Sam will continue his progress. Looks like he's figured it out. He STILL uses his left hand too much but...if that's "it" for him, that's "It". I'd bind his left hand in practice and force him to get familiar with his L brain ( Rt hand....and all that goes with being a righty).
We have a good strong squad.

Zerogame
10-20-2012, 09:42 PM
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a522/zerogame2012/Spokane-20121020-00021_zps23c54373.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a522/zerogame2012/Spokane-20121020-00013_zps816d0a27.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a522/zerogame2012/Spokane-20121020-00016_zps14345123.jpg

Zerogame
10-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Coaches Daniels and Krause spent time with P-Rex well before the game. He has a soft touch and left-handed like Sam.
A year of maturity is evident with the rest of the team. No showboating, just a workman like approach was my take-away. Plenty of skill, now comes the heart.

MDABE80
10-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks Zero......adds to the picture of our team. They aren't THAT bad.

Zagdawg
10-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Anyone else notice the kids behind the Zag bench (regular home bench).

It looked like the big from Montana and another red headed young man--both sporting Zag gear and looking like they were enjoying the show.

They had pretty big smiles on their faces when the student section started rocking it zagngam stye and zombie nation.

Robzagnut
10-21-2012, 08:03 AM
My 4th or 5th year. Been going since they started in the Mac. Full crowd. Even the top corners were full with lots of people watching from the main concourse.

Sam Dower IS A STAR! Wow! No matter where he shoots on the floor it just feels like its going to go in. Cooler than the other side of the pillow. He also played excellent defense. Whoever was the writer who predicted Dower was going to have a big year looked right on the money.

My favorite moment - five guys piled on the floor in the middle of the key for a loose ball... during a scrimmage.

My second favorite moment - Red down by 2 with under 60 seconds, Draino pulls up for a 3 three feet behind the arc, drains it, red up by 1. Blue calls timeout.

Least favorite - two or threes entry passes to Karno that Dower batted away or stole. Need to feed the post better and get the big hogs the ball down low.

zagamatic
10-21-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw Edwards walking out after my mom and I got our autographs. I can't imagine there are too many guys that look like that even at that event. The guy looked like an oak tree.

bigblahla
10-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Box score per GU men's site.

http://www.gozags.com/pdf8/957790.pdf

Go!! Zags!!!

3zagda
10-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Box score says Elias played 3 min!

Angelo Roncalli
10-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Anyone else notice the kids behind the Zag bench (regular home bench).

It looked like the big from Montana and another red headed young man--both sporting Zag gear and looking like they were enjoying the show.

They had pretty big smiles on their faces when the student section started rocking it zagngam stye and zombie nation.

Edwards and Meikle

BobZag
10-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Standing room only, it looks like. 3-4 deep behind the seats on concourse level.

Oregonzagnut
10-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Box score says Elias played 3 min!

Yes, I noticed that. Was he in for the Tip Off, then pulled? Was he in for token plays then called out immediately after?

Or is it just a convenient white lie to give him official record in the event for his senior year?

RockandRollJames
10-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Yes, I noticed that. Was he in for the Tip Off, then pulled? Was he in for token plays then called out immediately after?

Or is it just a convenient white lie to give him official record in the event for his senior year?

He didn't play.

CDC84
10-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Another note about Karno....according to Few, he just started practicing a few days before Kraziness. And he has that injured hand.

NotoriousZ
10-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Coaches Daniels and Krause spent time with P-Rex well before the game. He has a soft touch and left-handed like Sam.
A year of maturity is evident with the rest of the team. No showboating, just a workman like approach was my take-away. Plenty of skill, now comes the heart.

Wish I could've been there, but my work ran late. :enraged:

Did you get me an autograph ball, Zero? I think this one will be worth a little bit extra.

Reborn
10-22-2012, 05:51 AM
I was NOT there, but have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to everyone. I am so happy to hear the good news about Dower. This is what I was hoping to hear. The basketball analysts have been saying it all summer. It was music to my ears to hear that his defense was good.

I had no doubts about Coleman, and was glad to see how excited fans are about him. I have to wait a whole year to see him play....darn it.

Robzagnut
10-22-2012, 07:32 AM
The main impression I got from KitK was that this team isn't going to have any problems scoring. They can light it up. An excellent combination of inside and outside. Dranginis gives them another viable option to score outside and Karnowski will be good inside. This was with EH and KO not on the court.

One play that stuck out was when Karno was ahead of the field after a turnover, but was covered with three guys back on D. Pangos brought the ball up and faked like he was going to pull up for a shot. This opened up Karno for a split second and Pangos hit him for an easy layup.

Karno also shoots very quickly at the rim. So, those frustrated by Sacre getting some of his shots blocked last year shouldn't have a problem with the Pole Ax.

DixieZag
10-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Really appreciate all the feedback from those that were able to make it so I echo Reborn on this.

Some really perceptive people on this site, the basketball knowledge comes through.

Sounds like Sam just continues to get better, his shooting is unreal - the ball just keeps going in!

I agree with those that note that it will take a couple of months before Karno gets used to having to run the floor, work hard on defense and move through the offensive sets. Really appreciate the pictures b/c all that I can say is that Karno is HUGE. It is really difficult to stand out like the tall 7th grader who is a head taller than his classmate - - but that is what Karno looks like and he certainly is no bean pole either. He will just be a beast to handle and I can see him drawing many fouls so I like that coach Daniels was pictured working on his FT.

Lastly, I made the BOLD prediction that Gary will lead this team in scoring. He has all the tools and he has a backcourt mate that must also be guarded so it is almost impossible to double team Gary. Given that, I just see Gary going through periods when he is literally unstoppable. He is also a born leader, maybe not as vocal as Pangos (yet) but very much leading by example, works his tail off on both ends.

Thanks again for all the great recaps.

hooter73
10-22-2012, 08:21 AM
The no KO is my biggest complaint because we STILL dont know how the 4 and 5 positions are going to flesh out between Dower, KO and Karn. Although I think we are getting the feeling that Karn will not be our immediate starter, which isnt a huge revelation in itself. Wish KD would have shown us a little more but he will at the very least be a solid backup at the 2 and some 3 I'm thinking.

Reborn
10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
I was glad to read what Mark Few said in an interview, that PK will be better than what fans saw in Kraziness. I believe that also. And Few reminded us fans that Elias didn't score a single basket in his first Kraiziness.

It sounds like the practices have really been rough, and I'm glad to hear about that.