PDA

View Full Version : Walk-ons

SWZag
07-27-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has information on this or not, or even if the coaching staff would have any information at this time. While looking at the scholarship chart, I was wondering if we new of any possibilities for a second non-scholarship player to join Sorenson. I guess I'm not 100% sure about how this process works.

Is this something that isn't known until the last minute?
Do these guys get recruited? Or is it soley based on luck of who tries out?
I believe GU has had some that have gone from non-scholarship to a scholarship player the next. How often does this happen?

SWZag

ZagNut08
07-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Some are "preffered walk ons" Jordan Mast new he would make the team and was "recruited" per say, but not offered a scholarship. He was more like a recruited non scholarship player more than a traditional walk on

Sorrenson went to open try outs, which are held every year. He had not had previous conversations with the coaching staff. He simply played his heart out and made the team.

BobZag
07-27-2007, 09:08 AM
There's no real formula but like ZN08 said, the staff will sometimes invite a kid to walk on, or have tryouts. I feel Mast was a significant loss. He was good. But so is Andrew. When I was in there, a curly-haired sharpshooter from Toledo, WA, was doing his best to make an impression as a potential walk on. A very good shooter, similar to that little guy at SCU who stood in the corner and shot open treys all game.

Zag509
07-27-2007, 09:41 AM
It was extreamly valuble to have a player as good as Mast not on scholarship, I think he could have had a true impact in games in the next few years...but it was just to good to be true. You cant blame him for his decicion.

Were you refering to Kempf (sp?) Bob? That little guy destroyed us.

hondo46
07-27-2007, 11:09 AM
That's pretty close to Billy Suter's old stomping grounds.

saintzag
07-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Where is Bill these days?

NJZag
07-27-2007, 02:27 PM
It was extreamly valuble to have a player as good as Mast not on scholarship, I think he could have had a true impact in games in the next few years...but it was just to good to be true. You cant blame him for his decicion.

Hey, he might be a "little guy" compared to Bryant and Higgins, but Kaempf (http://santaclarabroncos.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/kaempf_joey00.html) has 3" and 20 lbs. on Danny P. :p

And it only seemed like he was shooting 3's all game, because he was making a royal pain of himself in getting open and connecting. But in fact, he only played 13 minutes. It was just how quickly he put up the 3's, in the space of about 5 or 6 minutes, that made it seem like he was in there forever. Davey rotated him out as soon as the Zags "woke up" that the guy couldn't be ignored.

BobZag
07-27-2007, 02:28 PM

Yeah.

hondo46
07-27-2007, 03:50 PM
In Portland. I usually see him at the Zag- Pilot game. Good guy.

saintzag
07-27-2007, 05:15 PM
GREAT GUY. Tell Bill hi from the saint . Teammates at Gu for 3 years.

Oregon Zag
07-28-2007, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=Zag509;43558]It was extreamly valuble to have a player as good as Mast not on scholarship, I think he could have had a true impact in games in the next few years...but it was just to good to be true. You cant blame him for his decicion.

Where did Mast go?

MBZags
07-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Oregon_Zag - http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=2608

ZagNick
07-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Gonzaga has a rich tradition of walk ons....they are usually "invited" walk ons...some are promised scholarships the next season, when one becomes available.....The last 10 years have included starters, Scott Snider, Mark Spink, Colin Floyd and Kyle Bankhead + I might have missed one or two...they are probably less important now that Gonzaga is an elite mid major (oxymoron).

hondo46
07-28-2007, 05:53 PM
The contribution of the walk ons was a major factor in the rise of the Bulldogs. In that critical time that I believe got all of this unlikely success started walk ons were often the heart and soul of the Zag teams. By 1994 Matt Stanford, Geoff Goss and Scott Spink were starting seniors on our first
post season play team. All three of those guys had been walk ons who red-shirted their first year along with another solid contributor walk-on Marty Wall.
Goss was a first team all-conference pick that year. A couple of years earlier Jarrod Davis was 1st team all WCC twice , not sure but I believe Jarrod started out as a walk on. In 1995 the year the Zags finally made it to the NCAA tourney Scott Snider played a huge part getting us there. At this same time there were great team guys who my not have got a ton of minutes but were still a major part of the team. John Nemeth and Carl Crider come to mind. Later along came Mike Nilson, Mark Spink and Ryan Floyd and that group built on the budding tradition. So yes ZagNick, the walk on has played an enormous role in building what we see on the court today and they were all damn good guys.

ZagNick
07-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Hondo - Thanks for the additional info....was not aware of a couple of those....should have known you could add to my list....1964 was a good year!!!

hondo46
07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
1964 was a very good year and you good sir run an excellent plate.

ZagNick
07-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Thanks me boy.....There is a Guiness in this somewhere for you....Let me work on the logistics....Keep up the good work !!

azzagfan
07-29-2007, 07:13 AM
The contribution of the walk ons was a major factor in the rise of the Bulldogs. In that critical time that I believe got all of this unlikely success started walk ons were often the heart and soul of the Zag teams. By 1994 Matt Stanford, Geoff Goss and Scott Spink were starting seniors on our first
post season play team. All three of those guys had been walk ons who red-shirted their first year along with another solid contributor walk-on Marty Wall.
Goss was a first team all-conference pick that year. A couple of years earlier Jarrod Davis was 1st team all WCC twice , not sure but I believe Jarrod started out as a walk on. In 1995 the year the Zags finally made it to the NCAA tourney Scott Snider played a huge part getting us there. At this same time there were great team guys who my not have got a ton of minutes but were still a major part of the team. John Nemeth and Carl Crider come to mind. Later along came Mike Nilson, Mark Spink and Ryan Floyd and that group built on the budding tradition. So yes ZagNick, the walk on has played an enormous role in building what we see on the court today and they were all damn good guys.

I believe Jarrod Davis was a Juco transfer, and earlier it was mentioned that Colin Floyd was a starter for the Zags after walking on. Colin walked on but never started. The walk on who did start was his older brother Ryan Floyd. The Floyds from S-H are an example of what has made the Zags great and so beloved by the Eastern Washington community.

tyra
07-29-2007, 07:58 AM
How can we have a conversation about walk-ons and not throw some love to Andrew Sorenson? Lots of disucssion here about who is the "heart" or "soul" of this team but can anyone name a player who more represents the "fever"m of Zag basketball? Who is, unfailingly, the first player off the bench to greet another player or cheer them on? Whose unrelenting display of energy and enthusiasm is more contagious? Which player in practice never gives less than 100% And to top it off, who is a better ambassador because he is simply a rpofoundly decent young man? Answer? Andrew Sorenson!

Vanzagger
07-29-2007, 02:25 PM
rocks!