PDA

View Full Version : Should Few go with three scoring guards in the starting line-up?

matty1090
10-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Last night I was watching a replay of last year's game at St. Mary's, and
as most of us do before the season starts, I started thinking of possible starting line-ups. One question that came to mind is whether Few will choose to have Mike Hart in the starting line-up again, or will he go with more of a scoring threat? Kyle Dranginis's stats in high school are pretty impressive, 75 points in 3 games in the state tournament, 54 points in one regular season game, averaged 24 points his senior year. I'd much rather see a three guard approach where each can produce on offense. The alternative clogs up the lanes, making it more difficult to get the ball to our bigs as well as making scoring that much more difficult for Bell and Pangos (please see any of my posts from previous years regarding this topic and Meech, loved the guy but, well, you know the story). Please dont take this as me bashing Mike Hart. I think he's a great leader, with obvious tenacity and hussle. Kinda reminds me of Mike Nielson back in the glory days, a smart and aggressive player who doesnt turn the ball over. Im not in any way saying Hart is not a valuable asset to the team, I just dont think he's a starter. I'd much rather bring him off the bench to spark the team, if I recall correctly that seemed to be more of his role his Freshman year. Anyway, I hope this doesnt turn into a "bench Mike Hart" thread, just thought I'd start some friendly discussion because I'm curious to hear other opinions on this.

bartruff1
10-19-2012, 04:53 AM
no

Reborn
10-19-2012, 05:52 AM
No. Few always seems to use a 3 guard offense at times, but he has not used it as a starting lineup.

Oregonzagnut
10-19-2012, 06:35 AM
To start the game we need to dominate no matter the match-ups or the opponent. We have the size and the horsepower so we can to worry about inserting speedier line-ups with more stamina later in the game if we need it.

Our starters seem to be set in stone outside of the center position. Hart is not one of them, but he fills the "defensive stopper" role and since he is a senior, he may get extra bench minutes early in the season to see if he can produce on both ends.

Hart will get at least 1 start this season, I can promise you that.

willandi
10-19-2012, 07:10 AM
I think we should use a 4 guard lineup, with EH and KO being the 3rd and 4th guards!:cheers:

bartruff1
10-19-2012, 07:14 AM
I think we should use a 4 guard lineup, with EH and KO being the 3rd and 4th guards!:cheers:

I am sure we will see that duing some game, and maybe even he will start 3 guards if the matchups are right.... I realize some don't agree and I am no coach, but I think he is one of the best game coaches EVER....

Vanzagger
10-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Length and D. Who cares about the rest.

zag944
10-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Length and D. Who cares about the rest.

The Seahawks for one

Vanzagger
10-19-2012, 07:45 AM
a scoring pg, Mike Hart, and 3 of our super skilled bigs and you still got something.

MDABE80
10-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Alot of it depends on which 3. I can see Pangos, Bell, Harris (sounds like he's REALLY improved) out front if they shoot like Bell does.

No matter, balance is key. Elias at the 3 still is interesting. Perhaps not his natural spot but he's worked hard to be a 3-4. Sounds like he'll be spending some time there.even to start.
Few's offense doesn't really behave like a "paint by numbers" offense.
Lots of spots are interchangeable............as are the personnel.

cjm720
10-19-2012, 09:23 AM
The spot will go to Guy, Kyle, or Elias. Love Hart's hustle, but coach wants scorers is my guess. Guy will likely get the start.

Ekrub
10-19-2012, 09:44 AM
the seahawks for one

lol!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Having GLE and GBJ on the court gives us very tough perimeter defenders. This team doesn't lack offensive fire power, so I'd rather see a line-up that is strong defensively rather than trying to get more perimeter scorers on the floor.

harryzag
10-19-2012, 10:35 AM
next year

zag944
10-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Except for garbage time, there is no excuse to play 4 on 5 on either side of the floor with this roster.

This isnt to say Hart shouldnt play. If he does though, he better be knocking down open shots the way that people in the know on this board say he can (and does at practices apperently). I think this is achieveable. He is obviously a hard worker.

I also dont buy Hart as a significantly better defender than Edi, as some posts around this board have seemed to imply. One guy is better at locking down his man, while the other makes better gambles/hustle plays but overall I think its about a wash between those two.

jim77
10-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Most times NO. Then again, it depends on game situations. I'd be likely to play 3 BIGS before 3 guards. You play to your strengths....we should be playing big ball.....besides, its not like Sam..KO..E..or PK can't bomb a 3. Most times it'll be KP, Bell....and any other 3 guys....nice problem to have:)

gbnyba17
10-19-2012, 11:04 AM
The Seahawks for one

This is perfect, and couldnt be more true!

hooter73
10-19-2012, 11:27 AM
I want to see Harris as a two guard!

:fingergun:

jpwils
10-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Sometimes we will need EH to slide into the 3.

Other times we might need Draino to drain some shots.

Other times GLE makes sense due to his ability to get to the rim and defend.

Its not who starts - its who gets thwe job done given the matchup and task at hand.

Many games are " tale of two halves "- somebody gets hot on our team or theirs for awhile and we need to make adjustments on he fly.

I have never seen a player of Mike Hart's ability to get a steal. set a pick, defend their hot scorer( Dellavedova), or get a key rebound , etc.
There will always be a time when Mike Hart is needed.

But this year, we have more options at 2 and 3 than in years past.

Bogozags
10-22-2012, 11:04 AM
The key to stopping SMC is keeping the ball out of Delly's hands and when he has it to defend their pick&roll, which we have had difficulty doing the three times we played last year. No matter what you may think of SMC, they are a good team and Bennett does well with what he has.

IMO either GUY or Hart will be guarding Delly...don't know if KD can defend as we have not yet seen him. I would not recommend putting GBJ on him either as he will have to defend one of the other guards. Guy did a decent job last year BUT if memory serves got into foul trouble. Delly is very smart and skilled too.

Also think we need to pick him up at half-court and deny him the ball as much as possible.

I think this game is decided in the half-court and believe SMC will attempt to slow down the game. Our 3pt defense must be at the top of its game the three times we play them this season...

MDABE80
10-22-2012, 11:39 AM
no

We agree for the very first time.:explode:

gamagin
10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
different day S.O.S.

bartruff1
10-22-2012, 01:26 PM
We agree for the very first time.:explode: Well, you ran me out of the Crosby, if you run me out of here, all I will have is the Foo...