PDA

View Full Version : A Preview of the WCC-GU Loaded

Section 116
10-18-2012, 03:37 PM
From Yahoo Sports, a preview of the WCC:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/wcc-preview-loaded-gonzaga-team-seeks-regain-control-130023055--ncaab.html

DixieZag
10-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Interesting that most, if not all, the individual accolades are projected to be among other teams and yet they clearly favor GU to be the strongest team.

Which is right where I would want to be. I think their "team" value is based almost solely upon the startes (which slight mention of our bigs as back up) but nothing on the depth at wing - backcourt. It is likely that our depth is the difference this year. It would seem to me that at any point that a "star" is struggling we have the luxury of having many other options to find the hot hand.

Of course, I am not adding anything that this board doesn't already know. Additionally, it is hard to argue with their picks as individual stars - there is a lot of individual talent in the league right now.

Kiddwell
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
The article prompted a look at ESPN's WCC site. In particular, a look at our opponents' recruits. We've gleaned two 2-stars (PF, C) for 2013. SMC, in turn, has pulled in three 3-stars, a nice group that includes a 6-4 PG.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2608/saint-mary-gaels

BYU, meantime, has two 4-star and three 3-star players listed. That's impressive and includes the #7 C (6-9) and the #14 PG (6-2).

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/252/brigham-young-cougars

Our conference's major competitors are looking good for the future. We really need to bring in a great 2014 class.

:]

bostonzagfan
10-18-2012, 07:57 PM
absolutely, the 2014 class is gonna be critical. but we should be ok for the next three years at least with bell and pangos running things, draino at the 3. real good start there, just need to find some bigs if karno doesn't stick around.

Naph
10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Regarding Byu: at least one of those 4 stars (Emery) going straight on a 2 year mission as per this article (http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/blogs/phillip-morgan/byu/byu-recruit-nick-emery-announces-mission-plans/article_5fda977c-10a9-11e2-83c4-0019bb2963f4.html). I've also read that at least 1 of the 3 star recruits is planning on doing the same (Shaw). Good recruits, but how soon we will see them in WCC action is anyone's guess at this stage.

Nevtelen
10-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Dee as best shooter? Not saying he's not good, 'cause he is, but there are a LOT of great shooters in the conference to give him a run for his money. Bell had a much better % last year, though less volume. Pangos, with a better performance on the road, could match his production (depending on how much he dishes vs shoots and if he's mid-rage game develops). And that doesn't even mention Haws (tough to predict coming off his mission) or Carlino - too streaky, but could be great.

Also - Newcomer of the Year: not to begrudge LMU, but if the hype is anywhere close, you have to think it'll be Karnowski. I get that it's tough to annoint a non-U.S. player before he's played a minute, but... well, we'll see.

Best Defender: Davies? Really? the guy can block, sure, but he's a soft soft post defender (or was last season). As long as Holt's knee injury hasn't changed his game, this title is a 2 man race between him and GBJ. No one else should probably even be in the discussion, IMO.

Best backcourt: Can't really begrudge that choice, but I think GU-SMC are neck and neck in that category. Man are the SMC-GU games going to have some stellar, stellar guard play again this year (as long as Pangos learns to step up on the road).

BTW, if there are any BYU fans lurking, just wondering how hot the rivarlry with Utah really is at this point? The Utes have been absoutely epically bad the last couple seasons. I get the proximity, but... really? Is it still that big a game?

MDABE80
10-19-2012, 09:04 AM
ZagSs -St Maries games this year will be as skillful and hard fought as anything on Tobacco Road.

hooter73
10-19-2012, 10:06 AM
haha, they called Carlino a chucker :D

BYU
10-19-2012, 02:07 PM
BTW, if there are any BYU fans lurking, just wondering how hot the rivarlry with Utah really is at this point? The Utes have been absoutely epically bad the last couple seasons. I get the proximity, but... really? Is it still that big a game?

Nobody circles the Utah game on the calendar. Utah is terrible and their fans know it. Before the WCC move NM and UNLV were bigger basketball rivalries to BYU fans.

As far as the guards go, SMC has a great back court, but I was surprised by that. I expect the Zag back court to be discussed as one of the best in the nation by the end of the season.

Other things of note from BYU: Carlino is supposed to be improved and more focused on distributing the ball this year.

That new mission age change rule will really wreck havoc the next 2-3 years, but after that it should help. When a player comes back the 1st year they have "mission legs", so playing 4 years in a row should help some. Some kids never come back the same athletically though.

They say that since Haws got back 6 months ago, he will be ready to go. If that is true, it would be a exception to the rule.

It looks like it is going to be another fun year in the WCC. It would be great to see 3 bids start to become the norm this year.

fedwayzag
10-19-2012, 07:02 PM
BYU, if Carlino is improved and becoming more of a distributor you guys will be very tough. Good luck