PDA

View Full Version : PSA's

Colbyspapa
10-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi guys, been lurking since last season but am back on board. Needed a cool down period:-)

I coach youth football and have coached a kid for the past 4 years who is a special basketball talent. His mom asked me yesterday if I could find out who she should contact at GU to start to watch her son. He's 5'11" point guard. He is a freshman this year and plays for a top level Seattle AAU squad which the family travels 1.5 hrs each way to practice 3 times a week. We expect him to start on the Varsity squad at our high school this year in Wesco AAA. If anyone knows how to get some info to the coaching staff, please PM me.

Thank you.

cjm720
10-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I suspect if he's good, he will get noticed, and coaches will find out. Got a name?

MDABE80
10-18-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't know for sure but I'd call GU athletics dept and ask for one of the coaches. Ray Giacoletti is always around. Easy to talk to and a very good guy. Good luck!

75Zag
10-18-2012, 03:35 PM
I am pretty sure that one-on-one advice by alumni and fan organizations given to prospects about recruiting and team contact information violates NCAA rules.

Best to leave recruiting to the HS coaches and their contacts or to the various other folks that do that sort of thing.

Go Bulldogs!

Colbyspapa
10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
HS coaches don't handle any recruiting. It is left to the parents and AAU coaches to market the players. So they use their contacts.

This parent reached out to me asking if I can provide a contact to send a tape. He received letters last year by UW, Cal, UoP, Portland and a bunch of smaller schools. Played for FOH AAU. Mom wants him to go to Gonzaga. Kid says he loves the school. Like I said, I'm a family friend who coached him for several years at football. He has no interest in football anymore as basketball is dominating his world. Just want to pass him on. I will call GU athletics and ask them. Hoped someone on this board would know an email or phone number I can just pass on to the mom. They have a highlight real I'm hoping to get to post on here. It is so much fun to watch him play. He plays at a higher speed than everyone else on the court.

Hoopaholic
10-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I nice short dvd/cd demonstrating the strengths of the young man, to include athleticism (if he does other sports this can help demonstrate that aspect) along with a nice, short introductory letter to any of the assistant coaches. Ensure you include your bio information (height, weight, vertical, HS stats, AAU stats) and point of contact and schedule for the AAU/HS team.

Most will assign this to be reviewed if they are "unaware" or dont recongize the name.......

ZagLawGrad
10-19-2012, 06:42 PM
If he's that good, he'll get discovered soon enough. Parents can be an issue pushing too hard. Maybe here, maybe not.