PDA

View Full Version : A couple of tidbits

Angelo Roncalli
10-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Dan Dickau moved back to Spokane this week and will rejoin the television broadcast team.

WCC games on the Lakers new network? It might be a possibility, maybe even this season.

The most improved member of the team? IMHO, Guy Landry Edi, without a doubt.

nonzagzag
10-18-2012, 04:19 AM
exciting news - especially about GLE

Reborn
10-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Great news, and I'm not surprised. In the thread about the toughness of the Zags, not enough was said about Edi, imo.

jazzdelmar
10-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Do u mean Time Warner Cable Sports Net?

NotoriousZ
10-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Great news about Edi, I was hoping that would happen. Not that he wasn't good last year, but you could tell he just needed more time with the team. Rebound/steal, pass, pass, dunk feels a little better than rebound/steal, pass, pass, layup--especially when it's thrown down with some authority!

http://news.gonzaga.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/guy-landry-edi-vs-byu-3_3_12-rajah-cropped.jpg

Hoopaholic
10-18-2012, 06:18 AM
I know and trust you Angelo.....if you are even half right that puts this team in final four contention in my opinion as the three slot in my opinion is (was?) the teams glaring weakness and is the difference between a good team and an exceptional team.....Angelo I owe you a beer for this observation as you have really peeked my interest

cggonzaga
10-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Very exciting news about GLE. Hope it relays into the games! I've also heard from many people that Kelly is a completely different player.

ZagNut08
10-18-2012, 06:54 AM
If they end up on Time Warner I am really going to be in a pinch until DirecTV adds them. Although, if/when they do it will be easier to convince my wife to add another sports package for the Lakers if the Gonzaga games are included too.

sittingon50
10-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Hurt+suspended= a rough 1st year. I expected that he would be loaded for bear this year. Thanks for the update, Angelo.

hooter73
10-18-2012, 07:47 AM
I dont know who he'd be up against, but if GLE turns it on big time I can actually envision him being a 2nd round pick. Probably not, but its not completely impossible. Speed, athleticism, is a better shooter than what we saw last year, defense... and you wouldnt believe his size and build when standing next to him. If he plays with confidence, he IS our wing.

Ikancagin
10-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I think he is big and very athletic, and in last years WCC tourney he was paired up against Delevadova and did well. He was as physical as Dellevadova, but as the reigning Player of the year Dellevadova, got any calls by the ref. But he can handle him and if he doesn't do anything else, I would like to see him crush Dellevadova.

Johnnygu
10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Karnowski has a game like Gasol!!! Edi is most improved player!!! We'll be number one by December!!! We're final four bound!!!;) Hope springs eternal in October

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi,

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He probably worked hard all summer on his game and now is brimming with ZagSwag!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice!!! Thx for some inside scoop!!! :) Very very cool indeed!!!

Val :)

Section 116
10-18-2012, 03:02 PM
I had hoped Edi would have a breakout season much as JP Batista did in his senior year. The downside of JC players is you get but two years from them and typically the first year is a bit of learning curve. If Edi has improved like JP did it will be difficult to keep him on the bench!

UberZagFan
10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
DD back in the booth doing color? Ehhhhhh.

Bing
10-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Karnowski has a game like Gasol!!! Edi is most improved player!!! We'll be number one by December!!! We're final four bound!!!;) Hope springs eternal in October

If St. Joseph's could do it with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West, it's possible here with GU's lineup. St. Joe's was a miracle three, followed by a rimmed out three of their own from the Final Four.

cggonzaga
10-18-2012, 07:31 PM
If St. Joseph's could do it with Jameer Nelson and Delonte West, it's possible here with GU's lineup. St. Joe's was a miracle three, followed by a rimmed out three of their own from the Final Four

I get the comparison because of the small guards but this GU team is way deeper and has more balance than that St Joes team. That being said, Pangos and Bell aren't Nelson and West yet.

Bing
10-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I get the comparison because of the small guards but this GU team is way deeper and has more balance than that St Joes team. That being said, Pangos and Bell aren't Nelson and West yet.

I agree with you on depth but actually, the point was that a small Jesuit school from a smaller conference could enter March undefeated and ranked #1 in the nation. And thanks for your use of the word "yet". Jameer and Delonte weren't coming off their freshman seasons that year.

Johnnygu
10-19-2012, 09:21 AM
I agree with you on depth but actually, the point was that a small Jesuit school from a smaller conference could enter March undefeated and ranked #1 in the nation. And thanks for your use of the word "yet". Jameer and Delonte weren't coming off their freshman seasons that year.

West and Nelson are two productive athletic NBA guards that had several years in the NBA. Only guard in Gonzaga's history that fits into that category of course is John Stockton. I'm not saying it's not possible with Bell and Pangos but just putting things in perspective and how rare it would be to have two on one Gonzaga team when Gonzaga has only had one in its history. Of course, we won't know until their college careers are over.

rennis
10-19-2012, 09:26 AM
That being said, Pangos and Bell aren't Nelson and West yet.

Understatement. Nelson & West were probably among the 5 best tandems of that decade.

Oregonzagnut
11-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Understatement. Nelson & West were probably among the 5 best tandems of that decade.

Our one John Stockton makes up for 6-7 Jameer or Delonte type players. :p

Total career assists/steals COMBINED for Nelson and West :approx 4160/962.
Total career assists/steals for John Stockton: 15806/3265.

Yes, this isn't a fair or realistic comparison, but it is what it is.

I hope Pangos and Bell can get in the NBA for their own sake first. But if Gonzaga can produce players HALF as successful a player as John Stockton, 5 star/top 100 kids will choose us over most major/BCS schools.

Right now in the NBA Turiaf gets the most minutes in the NBA with about 13 minutes per game and under 2 points per game. Having some starters in the NBA could help our recruiting, but then again we are better than St Johns right now and if memory serves, dominated them. So there is no sure path to greatness, but there are a lot of possible small steps.

ZagsGoZags
11-15-2012, 12:02 AM
OregonZagnut said:

"Right now in the NBA Turiaf gets the most minutes in the NBA with about 13 minutes per game and under 2 points per game."

But, for the 11-12 NBA season Austin Daye averaged 14 min per game,
and 4.7 points per game

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3976/austin-daye

sullyzag66
11-15-2012, 11:18 AM
If they end up on Time Warner I am really going to be in a pinch until DirecTV adds them. Although, if/when they do it will be easier to convince my wife to add another sports package for the Lakers if the Gonzaga games are included too.
Deal apparently very close. (http://http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-directv--lakers-channel-20121115,0,334249.story)