PDA

View Full Version : A Cure for Kool-aid Poisoning

SLOZag
10-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Here's a well written, sober assessment of the team we all love coming from GU's own online GU Bulletin. Let the teeth gnashing begin!

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_7a900eca-18b1-11e2-8bb0-001a4bcf6878.html

Birddog
10-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Who's idea was that to put black print on a dark blue background. It's unreadable.

ZagNative
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Who's idea was that to put black print on a dark blue background. It's unreadable.Are you teasing? Mine started out black on blue but quickly turned to regular black on white.

mee755
10-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Who's idea was that to put black print on a dark blue background. It's unreadable.

You didn't give it enough time to load. Sometimes, good things happen after 30 seconds. Just because you were done doesn't mean she (err....it) was. ;)

GrizZAG
10-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Can't disagree to much with what this says. When we have a team that can not stand losing to ANY team, we can hang our hats. We know the loss to UCLA was our best shot and very sad. Who and what will this team be? We faithful remain hopeful and have reason for optimism IMO.

sittingon50
10-17-2012, 06:39 PM
that St. Mary's "won't give GU much of a fight this year."

Birddog
10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
You didn't give it enough time to load. Sometimes, good things happen after 30 seconds. Just because you were done doesn't mean she (err....it) was.

I guess I'm too impatient. It took 20 seconds to load in a 2nd attempt. This is 2012, I'm not used to waiting 20 seconds. I need instant gratification with my typing machine.

Reborn
10-17-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm not discouraged by this post at all. I am so used to this sort of writing, it's been here on the boards for as long as I've been here, and that has been from the beginning. Gonzaga can't do this, and it can't do that.

However, this year does feel different. I don't remember this forum being as positive as it is this Fall, and I don't recall that the hope has been this high. I like that alot. There are alot more people drinking the "cool-aid" this year than I've seen in awhile. And just because we haven't done it before, even when we had some very good teams, certainly does not mean we can not do it this year. Where would we be in life if people dispaired just because something had not been done before. Thank God for those human beings who defy logic and or reason, who believe in their dreams and have the faith that they can come true. And finally, it is only when there are twelve people who believe in that dream all at the same time, and have the talent to make it come true, that it in fact does come true. I think the last time we had that kind of chemistry was the '99 team. And the chemistry of this group of 12 guys has been compared to that 12. Go Zags!!!

Oregonzagnut
10-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Even our own writers and insiders have a similar feeling:

Although GU has become a household name due to early success as a mid-major, the Zags have not lived up to heightened expectations in recent years

At GUBoards we argue about how unjust and shallow people are who say that we need or want to live up to the expectations or hype. We all want a final four. Getting to the Final Four is a program defining plateau, even more than the #1 ranking or a #1 seed. It defines a season. It indicates and even validates a teams continued improvement. It will help show we haven't peaked as a program. That is important, IMO, but it doesn't erase or minimize our achievements. Nothing can do that.

hondo
10-17-2012, 09:41 PM
[
that St. Mary's "won't give GU much of a fight this year."

Wow! If Bennett needed any help to get his team ready for the Zags--he got some here.

Zagdawg
10-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Nothing like providing them some bulletin board material.

Merry Xmas.

zag944
10-18-2012, 07:29 AM
We generally hover somewhere between a 10 ranking and just out of the rankings. We generally make the round of 16 or 32 in the tournament. I dont see that as overhype. I actually see it at just the right level.

Obviously the pundits who put us in the final four dont think we should be ranked within the top 4 of the polls. More likely they think we are a 4-6 seed that could break out and go on a run.

hondo
10-18-2012, 07:45 AM
To contend that the defending league and tournament champion who will return most of their team including the league MVP will not give GU much of a fight is way beyond silly.

CDC84
10-18-2012, 08:30 AM
SMC's WCC finishes since 2003/04:

2011/12 = first place
2010/11 = first place tie
2009/10 = second place
2008/09 = second place
2007/08 = second place
2006/07 = third place
2005/06 = second place
2004/05 = second place
2003/04 = second place

SMC is likely to put up a fight because they pretty much have every season that Bennett has been there. There is a pattern of consistency.

That being said, it remains to be seen how their team handles its new status as defending conference champ. When SMC won the league title last season at USF, the team behaved as if they had won the national championship. Almost all of the program's attention and resources were devoted to overtaking Gonzaga. Now that they have accomplished that goal, it remains to be seen how they will respond. If I were a Gael fan, I would be a little bit worried about the team experiencing a let down season. As a Gonzaga fan, I am not counting on one.

VaBeachZAG
10-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Actually, I am in total agreement with the last sentence:

"Just donít expect anything spectacular in March until the Zags can prove themselves during the regular season against one of their bigger nonconference opponents."

This team has got to perform very well with exceptional consistency throughout the entire season in order to have any chance at a high seed in the tournament. I feel there have been any number of times the Zags could have advanced into the second weekend if they were better positioned in the brackets. Only once have we received anything higher than a 4 seed. Although that one time didn't work out too good, I would still love to see what we could do with a better bracket position.

primal23
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Nothing in the article I disagree with, except what sittingon50 stated about SMC not giving a fight, I think we will be lucky to split w/ them.

cjm720
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I can't disagree with the point of the article. There were some laughable thoughts (SMC, Paul v. Marc Gasol, and others).

3zagda
10-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Slight correction to the article linked. They stated PK has been compared to Pao Gasol. I have seen a few articles comparing him to Marc Gasol, but none mentioning Pao.

rennis
10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
The only thing I disagree with is this comment regarding last year's squad:

"The team, which had high hopes after the additions of both Pangos and Gary Bell Jr., was considered by many to be a disappointment."

you've got to be kidding me. Last year was a breath of fresh air to me. They far exceeded my expectations. If you had told me on 10/15/2011 we would be starting two freshmen in the backcourt and would get to the round of 32 (after thrashing WV in the first round) I would have laughed at you.

Last year was a great year. We just need the selection committee to understand how difficult our conference is, and reward us accordingly, so we don't get seeded against teams like the Buckeyes in the 2nd round.

:fingergun: