PDA

View Full Version : Top 10

cjm720
10-17-2012, 10:39 AM
We'll be in the top 10 by mid December and remain there all year.

We're that good.

That's it.

dnj116
10-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Bold and spicy, just the way I like it. I think high expectations are good, especially when this team is capable of achieving your predicition. However, can't say I agree. I think its much more plausible that we get as high as maybe top 10 (provided we win the games we should), but end the season somewhere around where we are now.

Of course, I'd love to revisit this thread in February to see if you're right...

Oregonzagnut
10-17-2012, 12:16 PM
We'll be in the top 10 by mid December and remain there all year.

We're that good.

That's it.

I 100% agree. Of course we will have to stay healthy and uninjured. Also we will need to be undefeated at least until the Baylor game so we need to win the Old Spice Classic. If we are still undefeated after the Baylor game, we will be a Top 10 team to be feared in the WCC.

BULLDOG#1
10-17-2012, 12:22 PM
like the optimism, but ... even if the zags were undefeated mid-december, there's really only an outside chance they'd be in the top 10.

they'd be 10-0 with wins over WV, illinois, clemson, and a few others. Not sure that's enough for top ten, they'd probably need to be 10-0 and have some teams above them tumble.

unlikely to happen, especially since they'll be favored in every game they play.

Oregonzagnut
10-17-2012, 01:48 PM
they'd be 10-0 with wins over WV, illinois, clemson, and a few others. Not sure that's enough for top ten, they'd probably need to be 10-0 and have some teams above them tumble.

unlikely to happen, especially since they'll be favored in every game they play.

If the stars align just right we can be Top 10 before the Baylor game. But even more so, Top 10 is do-able come New Years Eve, after we beat Baylor and OK St. 14-0! Knock on wood! Hail Mary Full of Grace.... :bishop_smiley: etc etc...

When you state "being favored" in every game, IMO we have played up or down to the competition because of pre-game expectations. Also when always favored, opponents play with a chip on their shoulder. I personally don't want our staff to ease up to avoid risk of negative media attention for accusations of running up the score. :mecry:

I say run up the score like LMU did in 1988-1990. No guilt. All class and sportsmanship. Dominate!

cjm720
10-17-2012, 02:15 PM
like the optimism, but ... even if the zags were undefeated mid-december, there's really only an outside chance they'd be in the top 10.

Winning the Old Spice with authority would get us there alone IMO. I'm optimistic!

3zagda
10-17-2012, 02:35 PM
From all this Kool-Aid! But I am hooked on it!
Gonna have to agree with Orzag, we have to stay healthy. More specifically to make that kind of run, we need Harris, Pangos and Bell to stay healthy. Although I think Harris is our best player, I think a Pangos injury would be the hardest to replace. We have enough depth everywhere else to hardly miss a step if someone gets injured.

Reborn
10-17-2012, 03:28 PM
I need to sign in on this one because I'm with this group who feels the Zags can be in the top ten by the first of the year; and it's NOT drinking cool-aid that makes me say that. The Zags are good enough this year to merit that ranking. I think most of us feel that way, so Im just going to say it here in public.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
10-17-2012, 03:40 PM
I need to sign in on this one because I'm with this group who feels the Zags can be in the top ten by the first of the year; and it's NOT drinking cool-aid that makes me say that. The Zags are good enough this year to merit that ranking. I think most of us feel that way, so Im just going to say it here in public.

Go Zags!!!

Mr Vulture
10-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I am very optimistic about this team but I don't see us starting 10-0 as we develop rotations and play our OOC schedule. I just want this team to grow throughout the season, win the regular season league title, take the league tournament, and secure a Top 4 seed in the NCAA's. My guess is that we lose roughly 3-4 games out of conference and 1-2 games in conference. With that performance and our schedule, I think we accomplish all the above stated goals.

NotoriousZ
10-17-2012, 04:10 PM
:agreed:

It's possible that we could enter WCC play undefeated. Could you imagine Gonzaga ranked #1 at some point this year? Not that it means as much to me as getting 3 seed or better, but it would be awesome.

Normally I'd feel uneasy about saying crap like this, but I think the guys on this team won't buy into the hype, and they'll work their butts off to get it done on the court.

Birddog
10-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Could you imagine Gonzaga ranked #1 at some point this year?
That would only matter to me if it was in the final poll. Any other poll and I wouldn't particularly like it.

jpwils
10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Would like to go deep in Big Dance but also prefer winning both WCC outright AND conference tourney for a 3-4 seed.

Wouldn't mind losing 1 out of conference and 2 in conference as long as we hold on to win it all in conference and WCC tourney.

Want to see us beat either SMC or BYU on the ROAd !!!

mee755
10-17-2012, 06:20 PM
I think most of us would prefer going deep. Especially when dancing.

Sometimes, though, the reality is that all you're going to get is a nice shallow experience & you gotta learn to enjoy it. Sometimes it can be very exhilarating. Just live in the moment & appreciate what comes.

Oregonzagnut
10-17-2012, 08:41 PM
That would only matter to me if it was in the final poll. Any other poll and I wouldn't particularly like it.

Anytime. There is nothing wrong with someone saying they want Gonzaga to be ranked #1. It speaks for itself and it is what it is. No qualifications need to be made.

Birddog said: That would only matter to me if it was in the final poll. Any other poll and I wouldn't particularly like it.

Imagine what our team would have accomplished to earn the #1 ranking in Dec or Jan. We would be undefeated. And you "wouldn't particularly like it?" Why?

If a team got to the #1 rank at any point, ESPECIALLY in the middle of the season, it implies nothing but good things about the team and the program as a whole to have thousands of peers and pros vote for you. Sure it is not as good as a S16, E8, F4 or a NC. But it is a cool pinnacle even if it is only at one point in time.

Do you think being ranked number one would jinx us? Or it means we must have peaked at the wrong time?

jim77
10-18-2012, 12:35 AM
we had our season ended by last years #3 ranked team...OSU. We have lost BIG ROB....but gained PK and KO....GLE is healthier.....you could make a case that we "might" be better than last year. I think we are. It wouldn't surprise me to see the zags first loss happen in the tourney....a 1 loss season..then again we will probably lose 3 or 4 by the end.....which will still be excellent. I just don't see any team on the schedule that I think should be favored over the Zags.....we are gonna be a load.

Ikancagin
10-18-2012, 08:22 AM
We are clearly going undefeated this year. Yeah!!!!

jbslicer
10-18-2012, 08:38 AM
The Wazzu game will be a tough one. The Zags rolled over two years ago and got poleaxed. Brock Motum is pretty good.