PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Coaches Poll - Gonzaga #22

ZagNative
10-17-2012, 08:17 AM
USA Today Coaches Poll (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/10/17/usa-today-sports-mens-basketball-poll/1638933/)

rennis
10-17-2012, 08:45 AM
perfect.

On the radar, but underrated.

Johnnygu
10-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Our schedule is by no means weak, but Baylor is only ranked opponent at this point.

Baldwinzag
10-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Our schedule is by no means weak, but Baylor is only ranked opponent at this point.

True, yet unranked teams such as West Virginia & Butler will be ranked Top-20 by season's end. Book it.

WVU could be a Top-10 type team when its all said & done (maybe even vie for a Big12 Championship).

Also, BYU & St Mary's could very easily be Top-25 by the turn of WCC play, both will be purdy darn good teams this season as well. Not to mention Okie St is supposed to be underrated & K-State could mimic their football team and surprise folks with their sneaky talented, albeit young roster.

Johnnygu
10-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Would be nice to play one consensus top 10 team, but I'm content that we have less travel, have some high profile home games, and are NOT having to wear ourselves out traveling all over the country as we have in past years.

thespywhozaggedme
10-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm honestly shocked at how low we're ranked. We are a legit top 10 team in every facet of the game and lack nothing. The good thing is, unlike cfb, mens hoops actually determined a champ via a playoff so preseason rankings aren't that relevant.

sittingon50
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
"Just win, baby."

gbnyba17
10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm honestly shocked at how low we're ranked. We are a legit top 10 team in every facet of the game and lack nothing. The good thing is, unlike cfb, mens hoops actually determined a champ via a playoff so preseason rankings aren't that relevant.

I'm not so sure about the "lack nothing part". While I agree that #22 is a bit underrated and our talent is arguably top 10; to say that we lack nothing is a little mislieading. A couple things we might lack that come to mind are: whether we have a legit scoring 3 and will our post defense and tenasity be up to par to play against the WVU's, Baylor's, and Big East type teams.

I am just as excited (if not more) as the next guy about this team and truly believe we have the pieces to make a huge run this year, however, there are likely still some shortcomings on this team just like every other team in America.

Johnnygu
10-17-2012, 01:06 PM
... however, there are likely still some shortcomings on this team just like every other team in America.

One being that we don't get top, TOP tier talent like the Kentuckys and North Carolinas yet.

However, I believe whoever is most hungry will win the national championship, it's all about how bad the zags want it.

hooter73
10-17-2012, 01:14 PM
We return 3 primary members and a bunch of solid contributing members, but if you step outside of our own little world and look at it from an outsiders perspective, there are still a lot of unknowns or unprovens. The ranking is in line with the schedule for now, but we saw in just the last two years how much preseason ranking goes all sideways by the end of the year as ranked or unranked opponents move along the board. It worked to our disadvantage last year, hopefully it will be the other way around this time.

Apply this line of thinking to the whole list and half the teams in the top 25 dont make sense to me.

Is it november yet?

BULLDOG#1
10-17-2012, 01:16 PM
bouldin
pargo
daye
heytvelt
downs
pendo
gray
sacre

THAT'S TOP 10 TALENT (though they didn't always play like it).

I'm not quite sure we measure up to it this year, though it's close. Let's see how much growth Pangos and Bell have done, how much KO has really improved, and how PK is before we call this team top 10 talent.

Malastein
10-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Bell, Olynyk, and Karnowski are all under the radar. As is Dranginis, which means these guys need to produce like we hope they can. If that, then the high end projections from this board could be true. If not, then this team will be a higher seeded tourney team. We lost a lot of defense with Sacre's graduation.

Therunner
10-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Indiana #1?

Really?

The same team that went 13-8 in their final 21 games & barely scrape by in their NCAA Tourney games?

Yes, they return 4/5 starters & have Cody Zeller up front, yet after watching them in person last season and how they played post-Kentucky upset at home, I have an inkling they are ranked way too high.

Top-to-bottom their roster is no more dynamic or talented than our very own.

The Kentucky game & last second victory must still in pollsters mind.

Respect me some Hoosier program, but possibly the most overrated #1 in the past decade. What have they done???

A more appropriate ranking based on a Sweet 16 appearance last season, returning majority of starters, not winning their conference, and winning 25 games should be more around the 10-15 range, imho.

Thoughts?

UKWildcatsFan
10-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Indiana #1?

Really?

The same team that went 13-8 in their final 21 games & barely scrape by in their NCAA Tourney games?

Yes, they return 4/5 starters & have Cody Zeller up front, yet after watching them in person last season and how they played post-Kentucky upset at home, I have an inkling they are ranked way too high.

Respect me some Hoosier program, but possibly the most overrated #1 in the past decade. What have they done???

A more appropriate ranking based on a Sweet 16 appearance last season, returning majority of starters, not winning their conference, and winning 25 games should be more around the 10-15 range, imho.

Thoughts?

The idea is that they have who many think is the best player in the country, who is a year older in Zeller and that they got a good recruiting class that is going to be effective as well.

I don't think they'll win the championship or live up to the #1 ranking, at least not in the regular season, when you get to the tourney anything could happen. So I agree with you for the most part.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
10-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Indiana #1?

Really?

Thoughts?

Hi!,

With Indiana the ball will be in the hands of a Freshman point named "Yogi". He is good and Freshman points can lead teams to championships on occasion. I don't think Indiana is a National Championship caliber defensive team. At least based on pure speculation which is the fun of it! Tom Crean? ummmm I don't think so in the big game! Choke city baby!! LOL :) Nice run with Marquette in 2002-03 but I just don't think he is that great of a coach.

We also have to tighten a few aspects of our game on the defensive end BUT our roster is even with Indiana and our point KP has a year of experience under his belt. I like us over Indiana in a close 1! :) :)

Val

MickMick
10-17-2012, 08:24 PM
GU may fly under the radar all season long. The one exception is if they trounce the OOC schedule. I personally believe they are quite capable of doing that, but they could just as easily slip a couple of times.

No problem either way.

This team has the goods. They have just enough experience to make noise early. The role players especially. In the recent past, the depth has always been relatively new or inexperienced. Transfers have been perpetual. Now, most of the key depth has been with the program for a little seasoning (actually contributing in games other than just mop up duty). Even the transfer from Memphis can help early.

Their upper limit, however, will only be achieved when the new center becomes a monster (and he will). If he fits quickly, GU could roll sooner, rather than later.

Oregonzagnut
10-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Tom Crean? ummmm I don't think so in the big game! Choke city baby!! LOL :) Nice run with Marquette in 2002-03 but I just don't think he is that great of a coach.

I think he got hired for his scowl. Or at least what the scowl implies. :cool: Win or lose, the scowl is usually the same. Confidence and focus overcomes all his emotion. The win over Kentucky where he showed almost no emotion except confidence and composure was epic and cemented him in Indiana history. Like he knew they would win. He was the only one in the areana who didn't even change his expression after the shot went in. Chilling.

Crean may not be a great coach, but he acts like a great coach. IMO, at the highest levels, that is half the battle. But going from 6-25 in 2008 to 27-9 in 2011-12 is pretty good. He is doing something right, but unless you are a BAD coach, Indiana U can recruit itself to a point. It is pure basketball history right along with UCLA and Kentucky.