PDA

View Full Version : National Championship Odds

Section 116
10-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Zags at 60-1

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20573551/vegas-sports-book-releases-national-championship-odds

zagapotomus
10-16-2012, 03:37 PM
I'll take it!

bartruff1
10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
I'll take it! Don't bet it !!!

zagzilla
10-16-2012, 04:40 PM
By those odds we would play the 2012-13 season 60 times and win it all once. I'll be dead 60 years from now and want to see us raise a banner before I go.

ZZ

GrizZAG
10-16-2012, 04:56 PM
And...St. Mary's is...???
Tops of WCC and right there with Texas. Not bad company. Field@15-1 ??

Oregonzagnut
10-16-2012, 07:05 PM
....the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

But to post on topic, our odds will be better as we win. If your gonna bet, bet now. IMO, we will only rise in the ranks and the odds will follow. I don't think we will ever drop below 60:1 this year. So if you do bet on Gonzaga, get locked in now I would think.

But I will never bet on my Zags. Is that what you meant Bartruff1?

bartruff1
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
By those odds we would play the 2012-13 season 60 times and win it all once. I'll be dead 60 years from now and want to see us raise a banner before I go.

ZZ I have been retired for quite a while, but I think that means the odds would be 60 to 1 for each of the 60 times...even after the 59th time ...there must be engineers and math majors in here that don't use Pickett slide rules !!! In any case...not very likely...better to raise a glass.

Oregonzagnut
10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I have been retired for quite a while, but I think that means the odds would be 60 to 1 for each of the 60 times...even after the 59th time ...there must be engineers and math majors in here that don't use Pickett slide rules !!! In any case...not very likely...better to raise a glass.

If you take a 60 sided dice and roll once, you have a 1 in 60 chance. Our team is a 60 sided dice.

All in, LETS ROLL!!!

But TBH, I think it means if you bet 1 dollar now you will win 60 bucks. That is all the bookies care about explaining to the masses.

Gonzdb8
10-16-2012, 09:20 PM
good write up on us on the sidebar link other than the following:

"Harris is a senior who hasn't lived up to expectations since he arrived from Germany"

i disagree. his freshman year he shattered the expectations people had of him coming in. his sophomore year was clearly his "down" year but a lot of that can be attributed to injury (and maybe the loss of bouldin). as for his junior year, perhaps i'm in the minority on this one but where i'm from 13 and 8 on 50% shooting and less than 2 TO per game is a pretty solid line.

KStyles
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
good write up on us on the sidebar link other than the following:

"Harris is a senior who hasn't lived up to expectations since he arrived from Germany"

i disagree. his freshman year he shattered the expectations people had of him coming in. his sophomore year was clearly his "down" year but a lot of that can be attributed to injury (and maybe the loss of bouldin). as for his junior year, perhaps i'm in the minority on this one but where i'm from 13 and 8 on 50% shooting and less than 2 TO per game is a pretty solid line.

I'm guessing the author was taking about the expectation quite a few writers/talent evaluators had when he showed up at GU that he'd be a two and done and drafted in the lottery after his sophomore year.

Like you said though, he's had solid production at GU for the past few years (and hopefully one more), and as a GU fan, it seems pretty tough to complain about that.

MickMick
10-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Harris is a great, and I mean great, enforcer under the rim. I look for him to be a force this year.
Even with GU's depth of big men, he may log the most minutes on the team. If I were forced to bet on it, Harris would be my choice.

The preseason articles on GU would be dominated with talk of Harris if two things had happened differently:

1) Zags go on to win the game against St. Marys where he tied the game up on a last second shot, sending it to overtime.

2) He cans those three high percentage shots down the stretch against Ohio State and GU goes on to win that game. In my opinion, they win that game if he does.

This is the difference between these national writers heaping pre season praise on him as opposed to writing that he has not lived up to "their" expectations. A small margin that he (and the team) can easily overcome this year.

Too bad he wasted a summer trying to learn to be a small forward. I think this is what set him back his sophomore season and not the rather short lived injury that folks commonly refer to (although it contributed). Then again, it wasn't a complete waste if he developed a few more skills that he might not have otherwise learned. In the long run, he is more complete.

No question that he is an very good poward forward on the offensive end as well as a great rebounder on both ends. He is also very solid in transition and has a fine perimeter shot. Now he will be a team leader and I expect he will carry the extra responsibility well.

jake
10-17-2012, 08:12 AM
If you take a 60 sided dice and roll once, you have a 1 in 60 chance. Our team is a 60 sided dice.

All in, LETS ROLL!!!

But TBH, I think it means if you bet 1 dollar now you will win 60 bucks. That is all the bookies care about explaining to the masses.

Because there is no "other side" to a futures bet, the odds for a lot of teams often/typically don't reflect the true odds of winning.