View Full Version : Interesting Article by Meehan

BobZag
10-15-2012, 06:47 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/oct/15/gus-pangos-learns-best/

A good read.

DixieZag
10-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Good post Bob.

Several items of interest. Few mentioning playing Elias at the 3. There is a great topic that has not gotten enough attention from the board! I do like that it is probably indicative that Few is willing to mix and match for different situations. We can certainly go big, very big and stuff everything in the middle with E playing the 3. We can also go traditional and rotate fresh big men through at a good clip to always have someone fresh and not in foul trouble. What a luxury!

Also, Few mentioning that Gary will assume some leadership. I think we all take for granted that Kevin is a born leader and will rightfully play that role - along with the senior beast Elias.

But I really think that Gary is well suited for leadership. He is incredibly bright, hard working and unselfish. He can be an example for anybody dragging or depressed. He never takes time off defensively. I think that we might well have a "lockdown" defender for a hot shooting guard - another luxury. Add to that the fact that Gary can suddenly put 10 points up in 5 minutes and he is someone that it is very hard not to be excited about. I love everything about him and love that he is flying a little under the radar.

OZZY
10-15-2012, 09:12 PM
And here we go again!

E! at the 3 for 3!

I know it would be extremely unlikely, but magine if we put out a lineup of;

PG: 6'5" Dranginis
SG: 6'6" Barham
SF: 6'8" Elias
PF: 7'0" Kelly
C: 7'2" Shrek

Try matching up with that!

:)

scott257
10-16-2012, 05:42 AM
I have heard repeatedly that when you put in a line-up that big, you give up too much quickness and your defense will suffer. I understand that position, but I also wonder if that trade-off on quickness on the defensive end of the court doesn't equate to increased scoring on the offensive end of the court that puts pressure on the smaller opponent when they try to defend the larger line-up probably putting them in foul trouble.

Is this line of thinking off-base? At what point is the trade-off either acceptable or unacceptable?

hooter73
10-16-2012, 07:23 AM
from his own words: "and making sure not to mess with rhythm" !!!

that quote needs to be held up in front of Few's face every 10 minutes in every game.

and yes, going big gives up way too much. Even if its just one guy. Its about match ups, not about how much taller we are. When a heady guard can pick a pocket or take a charge, I don't care how tall he is... if used correctly.

Oregonzagnut
10-16-2012, 09:30 AM

that quote needs to be held up in front of Few's face every 10 minutes in every game.

Yes!!! I am so glad that someone else sees this. This is the ONLY problem I have with Few. He too often fixes things when they aren't broken. I know I am guilty of :horse:... but, IMO,

We need to put the pedal to the medal for 40 minutes and practice dominance in order to make sure another UCLA doesn't happen. No team should win if they are down by 17 in the second half. But our second halves historically seem to allow the opponent back in. I'm convinced Few thinks it looks bad to win by too much, so he eases up.

We need to have stronger second halves as a program from top to bottom. Our depth on the bench will allow for that this year, more than any other year!

BobZag
10-16-2012, 09:34 AM

lol, true true. Hit nail on the head.

DADoZAG
10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
It’s great to hear Coach talk about rhythm. It’s great to hear Coach talk about possibilities, about options. He’s worked hard to get this team where the weakest link isn’t that weak, where the greatest strength is yet to be imagined.

Some of us older folks have had the opportunity to watch our children grow and develop. We teach, hopefully they learn.

But there comes a point at which a good parent let’s their children fail. They allow them to explore enough so as to learn which way to go when the parent can’t be there. Which paths are to be avoided, which paths are to be exploited. Experience, especially failure, is the best teacher.

”…all these guys can play.” Mark Few

‘Hope he let’s them…

Go ZAGS!

Zagcity
10-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Anybody seen Mark Few dance it might explain a lot? ;)

sittingon50
10-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I heard he taught Victor Cruz the Salsa, but have not confirmed.