PDA

View Full Version : Oct 8 Dickie V's Top 40

MDABE80
10-14-2012, 10:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/8477900/dick-vitale-preseason-top-40-2012-13

I missed this. If someone posted it already, remove it. Seems like he's lost a step when it comes to the leader for the Zags.

GoGU
10-14-2012, 10:28 PM
I have one word to describe this writeup: "lolz"

You'd think Dickie V. would know more about Gonzaga. After all, one of his biggest fans is one of our own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myaIom1bUDw

Oregonzagnut
10-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Is Dick Vitale a sound byte pre-recorded paid shill? He reminds me of the wind up cymbal monkey. Just wait long enough and he stops. Stockton may be a motivational leader and is certainly a legacy, but the true "leader" of our team is going to be Harris or Pangos or at the very least Few.

IMO, it shows Dickie just skims the headlines, then looks at the big market money makers, then picks based on popularity and the coaches he likes. He might try to find out who the starters are or at the very least who the statistical "leaders" are. David is neither at Gonzaga.

Every year I try to give Vitale the respect he deserves. Then I realize the public is forced to listen to his yelling and catchy rhymes instead of real informative analysis. I always feel patronized, as if I need to be convinced of something to buy. Nothing will ever make me like Duke or Kentucky. Respect, yes. Root for, No.

Like I said, I try to like Vitale, but then he opens his mouth.

bartruff1
10-15-2012, 03:34 AM
I do not like geen eggs and ham and I do not like Dicky V...nope...not a bit.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Dickie V has never paid much attention to "mid-major" teams, nor does he pay a lot of attention to teams in the western half of the country. He rarely puts much effort into these columns. He has created a character of the "crazy, old bald guy who loves college basketball," and gets paid to show up and play that character.

LongIslandZagFan
10-15-2012, 07:16 AM
I do not like geen eggs and ham and I do not like Dicky V...nope...not a bit.

Nice Suess-age there Bart.

sittingon50
10-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Dickie must have a hugh research team. Wow.

Ekrub
10-15-2012, 09:36 AM
I see saint Mary's beating half the teams on that list

SLOZag
10-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Dickie must have a hugh research team. Wow.

+1 !!!

HOOTER
10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Is Dick Vitale a sound byte pre-recorded paid shill? He reminds me of the wind up cymbal monkey. Just wait long enough and he stops. Stockton may be a motivational leader and is certainly a legacy, but the true "leader" of our team is going to be Harris or Pangos or at the very least Few.

IMO, it shows Dickie just skims the headlines, then looks at the big market money makers, then picks based on popularity and the coaches he likes. He might try to find out who the starters are or at the very least who the statistical "leaders" are. David is neither at Gonzaga.

Every year I try to give Vitale the respect he deserves. Then I realize the public is forced to listen to his yelling and catchy rhymes instead of real informative analysis. I always feel patronized, as if I need to be convinced of something to buy. Nothing will ever make me like Duke or Kentucky. Respect, yes. Root for, No.

Like I said, I try to like Vitale, but then he opens his mouth.

Well said.

Therunner
10-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Dickie V is becoming a joke -- no longer the face -- of NCAA hoops. Seems like a nice guy and I'm fine with his TV 'antics' on a Gameday and/or during the Tourney, yet he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a keyboard, writing articles, or providing analysis whatsoever. Those days are long gone and its giving a bad name to "talking heads" in general. How do they pay this man still?? Also, who edits this crap(and not just the Zags comment either)?

/rant over

25. Gonzaga

Analysis: Having a young man named Stockton as a leader (John Stockton's son, David) helps.

REALLY??

:confuse:

Bogozags
10-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Well the proof is in the pudding...hope you all were not too disappointed in his Top 40 preseason poll.

I for one believe he doesn't even rank them, ESPN has someone do it for him and we see that their efforts are questionable at best.

Just like the Coaches' polls, they don't have time to look at all those football/basketball games and actually "rank" all those teams! They most probablfy have some on in the SID Office rank and forward them on.

Anyone ranking UNC, Texas, Duke so high and UNLV and SDSU so low I think missed the boat.

It's all about PR and creating controversy IMO...

I don't remember who, but many have stated these polls have no validity.

jbslicer
10-15-2012, 03:16 PM
ESPN should Velcro his hands to his side when he talks.

GrizZAG
10-15-2012, 03:27 PM
I kind of like the idea that our loaded Zag team is under the radar a bit and not over-hyped much. Perhaps some of the teams will underestimate them come game time and get a surprise.
I agree with all saying DV is a NCAA Hoops drone that is way to enthralled with the east year after year. He is Howard Cosell of Hoops but out of touch.