PDA

View Full Version : Adam Morrison article from

Radbooks
10-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Vince Grippi on his Spokesman blog (which is daily reading for me!) had a link to an article about Adam in The Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/10/adam_morrisons_ongoing_journey_could_land_him_a_sp .html). He talks a lot about the last few years and what brought him back for this last attempt at making the NBA and why he chose Portland out of the 3 offers he had, etc.

Six years after a Portland radio station orchestrated a "Draft the Stache" campaign to try to help lure Morrison to the Blazers, the one-time college cult hero and former NBA lottery pick finally has donned the Blazers' trademark pinwheel logo. But the question remains: Will he wear it beyond the exhibition season?

"I hope so," Morrison said. "(Blazers management) told me to come here and be myself, try to get baskets and battle on defense. And that's what I've been doing. I know everybody is going to nit pick about my ability and my past, but I'm just here to play as best as I can and see what happens."

The 6-foot-8 small forward arrived into Portland without a guaranteed roster spot, willing to fight and scrap and do enough in October to earn a second basketball life. By all accounts, Morrison has performed well over the first two weeks of camp. Coach Terry Stotts has praised his work ethic, shooting ability and defensive effort. Teammates have credited him for providing a positive veteran presence to one of the NBA's youngest locker rooms.

"I think I was kind of going through the motions," Morrison said of his nondescript ending with the Wizards. "I didn't play well, I didn't really want to play well and ..."

He paused to gather his thoughts, when someone said: "Your heart wasn't in it?"

"Yeah, that pretty much sums it up," he answered.

And that's where Morrison's basketball tale could have ended. He loved life away from the limelight, relished being a stay-at-home dad to his two children. He bought an ATV with a snowplow and roamed his property daily, plowing powder and wandering his land. He spent Christmas with his family. He soaked up the solitude.

And besides catching the occasional Gonzaga game on television, Morrison didn't so much as watch basketball, let alone pick one up.

"People think I was all depressed, but I was like, 'This is awesome,'" he said. "I got to spend time with my family, have Christmas at home, relax. I was able to exhale. It gave me a lot of perspective on things. I think it was good for me."

He remained content for about a year, until he wandered down to the McCarthey Athletic Center to watch the Gonzaga players work out. One visit become two and two became three. Before Morrison knew it, his competitive juices were flowing, his mind contemplated a return to the court and he got the itch to play again. He remained content for about a year, until he wandered down to the McCarthey Athletic Center to watch the Gonzaga players work out. One visit become two and two became three. Before Morrison knew it, his competitive juices were flowing, his mind contemplated a return to the court and he got the itch to play again.

Lots more at the link... I thought it was a well done article!