PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach over-sold as WSU Football Savior?

Kiddwell
10-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Things looks pretty much the same for WSU football--lots of losses. Is it fair to think that Mike Leach was over-sold as the football program's savior? Particularly after that 4th quarter meltdown (on homecoming weekend, no less) to a really crummy Colorado team? :confused:

Kiddwell notes that WSU is playing a lot of sophomores, redshirt freshmen, and true freshmen. On the other hand, Kiddwell also notes that Leach recently lambasted several of the squad's seniors (while praising several others). The lambasting is in the context of those seniors sticking with the program (and going through all those practices) on a team with a record over the previous four seasons of something like 6 wins and a bazillion losses.

Clearly, Kiddwell is disappointed. Fair or unfair?

:[

gu03alum
10-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Things looks pretty much the same for WSU football--lots of losses. Is it fair to think that Mike Leach was over-sold as the football program's savior? Particularly after that 4th quarter meltdown (on homecoming weekend, no less) to a really crummy Colorado team? :confused:

Kiddwell notes that WSU is playing a lot of sophomores, redshirt freshmen, and true freshmen. On the other hand, Kiddwell also notes that Leach recently lambasted several of the squad's seniors (while praising several others). The lambasting is in the context of those seniors sticking with the program (and going through all those practices) on a team with a record over the previous four seasons of something like 6 wins and a bazillion losses.

Clearly, Kiddwell is disappointed. Fair or unfair?

:[

It's probably fair, but I think he deserves a few years to get his guys in the program.

IrishZagFan
10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
It's probably fair, but I think he deserves a few years to get his guys in the program.

I agree with gu03 that he should get the time that every other new coach gets. The Cougs are showing improvement in different areas, defense, special teams, etc.
The most hyped aspect of Leach was the offense. I think everybody thought that when the team laced it up, they would get 700 yards a game and 50 points without even trying. If the receivers could hang onto the ball, if the quarterback would hit the open receiver (and there are plenty) instead of throwing it into double and triple coverage, if the offensive line could run block or pass block without holding, etc. etc.

Give them another year or two, I believe we see a big difference......

Birddog
10-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Clearly the talent pool at Wazzu was pretty bad. Leach can coach, he did it at TT and he'll do it at WSU. I thought he would do better this year but I know nothing of the talent he inherited.

IrishZagFan
10-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Saturday's showing against Stanford seems to show improvement. Defense looks better, offense is making gains. Need to get over the so called "hump".......

mtzaga
10-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Former Griz DC Mike Breske knows defense.

From the S-R

Defense is also on our mind when it comes to Washington State. And for the opposite reason. Now no one will confuse the Cougar defense with the Hawks, not by sight and not by statistics. But this WSU defense is getting it done more often than not. And against teams with a lot more talent. When the season began, everyone looked at the players coming back and rightfully so expected the Cougar defense to struggle. And it did for a while. But new defensive coordinator Mike Breske and his staff have done a masterful job of overcoming a lack of team speed and size to limit the Pac-12's best recently. Saturday's Stanford game was one of the best examples of that. It was not just the numbers Stanford had one of its worst offense showings of the season but the tone as well. Other than a 70-yard touchdown the result of a blown coverage and a long second-half scoring drive helped considerably by a horrendous third-down pass interference call the Cardinal never seemed to threaten WSU. There were a lot of three-, four- or five-and-out possessions. Such results never seemed in the cards when the season began. And a big part of the credit goes to Breske. Not only does he and his staff get the Cougars to play hard they did that the past couple years as well but he has come up with imaginative ways to allow them to succeed. It's not just scheme, though that's part of it. It's not just substitution patterns, though that's part of it. It's a combination of both and a belief they will be successful. This Cougar defense believes in itself. That last couple years it hoped it could get off the field. This year, it believes. That's a huge difference.

Birddog
11-03-2012, 05:00 PM
So much for Wazzu's defense!

IrishZagFan
11-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Wow, what a difference a week makes. The Cougs have given up..... The star player quits, and is dismissed. What next on the Coug carousel?

cjm720
11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Sure it would suck to be a Coug fan ;) Pullman's a tough place to recruit.

Half way through the first season is not the time to give up, though.

He can coach and he's probably the funniest interview I've consistently heard. He's a keeper!

IrishZagFan
11-08-2012, 10:28 AM
On the positive side it is going to be a balmy 23 degrees at kickoff (7:30 pm) for UCLA. May be some left over snow from Thursday and Friday's Winter snow watch.

I wonder how UCLA will handle the cold?

Not going to be dressed like this I can assure you.

http://cdn.funcheap.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ucla-cheerleaders1.jpg

gu03alum
11-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Wilson left the team (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8618108/marquess-wilson-washington-state-cougars-leaves-team-alleges-abuse-coaching-staff)

Wilson also blasted first-year coach Mike Leach and his staff, accusing them of "abuse" while saying his suspension was "an attempt by the athletic department to cover up what is really happening in that locker room."

"This was going to be our year. My teammates and I were aspiring to be the winning team you deserve," Wilson issued in a statement to Cougar Nation, according to the Visalia (Calif.) Times-Delta. "Unfortunately for all, the new coaching staff has destroyed that endeavor.

"I believe coaches have a chance to mold players, to shape men, to create greatness. However, the new regime of coaches has preferred to belittle, intimidate and humiliate us. This approach has obviously not been successful, and has put a dark shadow on this program."

bartruff1
11-11-2012, 07:04 AM
They can compete in basketball and baseball....but football ?? I wonder if they are in over their head...If I was the AD I would take my coaching staff to Boise and ask some questions and listen very very carefully...yes, I understand that Pullman is not Boise but on the other hand, Washington is not Idaho ... Kellen was from Prosser for crying out loud...Prosser !!

gu03alum
11-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Leach must have beat his players extra hard this week.

kitzbuel
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
How big is the Apple Cup win for Leach?