PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: "How Karnowski Can Help Gonzaga"

Kiddwell
10-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Would an ESPN Insider go to the link below, scroll down, and report back here what this ESPN article says about the Big Pole & GU, please?

Thanks.

:]

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2250/gonzaga-bulldogs

zag buddy
10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
I haven't read the article but I believe that big K will cut down the turnovers with his soft hands, Will be a rebounding machine, and will pass better than we have seen any center since Batista do.

KStyles
10-11-2012, 07:51 PM
The insider post (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors/_/date/20121003#8573) basically says if Harris shows his skills and has a great year, and Dower continues to play solid, Karnowski & Olynyk will help give GU a great frontcourt to go with the "young backcourt already regarded as one of the best in the nation".

The post pretty much plays off of of Andy Katz's (non-Insider link) thoughts on Karnowski (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/64737/3-point-shot-gonzagas-burly-addition), which they link to as a source.

ZagNative
10-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Here it is. Nothing too interesting ...
As if senior Elias Harris and juniors Sam Dower and Kelly Olynyk weren't enough, Gonzaga's frontline is expected to be even bigger -- and better -- this year thanks in part to the addition of 7-foot-1 Polish center Przemek Karnowski.

The big man chose the WCC school over the Pac-12's Cal Golden Bears, and gives Gonzaga coach Mark Few another big man to turn to.

According to our own Andy Katz, Few is impressed with Karnowski's hands and his passing, typically skills that translate quickly when one makes the jump to the college level.

We have to believe that if Harris has a big senior season like he's capable of and Dower continues to blossom, Karnowski and Olynyk could help give the Zags a stellar frontcourt to go with a young backcourt already regarded as one of the best in the nation.

- Joe Kaiser

Kiddwell
10-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks, ZN. It is pretty amazing how deep and rich the Zags are this year in upfront talent. Holy cow, we have two 7-footers, neither of which is a stiff. Throw in the very athletic Sam Dower at center too, and it's kind of amazing.

Can't wait for tip-off.

ridgebackzag
10-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I feel like a lot of the ESPN Insider rumors get recycled. I've seen the same write-up about a month ago.

KStyles
10-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I feel like a lot of the ESPN Insider rumors get recycled. I've seen the same write-up about a month ago.

Yeah, they definitely have better stuff during the season and recruiting periods, but they must have a quota to fill year-round, because there's a lot of stuff on the NCAAB page now that isn't really a rumor or breaking news.

Oregonzagnut
10-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Thanks, ZN. It is pretty amazing how deep and rich the Zags are this year in upfront talent. Holy cow, we have two 7-footers, neither of which is a stiff. Throw in the very athletic Sam Dower at center too, and it's kind of amazing.

Can't wait for tip-off.

I can't wait either, but who will tip off?

Zagcity
10-12-2012, 06:17 AM

The big KO- IMHHO

Therunner
10-12-2012, 06:25 AM

No question -- Sammy D.

He woulda last year as well, if he started. To this day, I only witnessed Sacre win two tips; one in an exhibition game and the other, I believe, was Longwood towards the end of the year. I'm not kidding. Sure, our boys collected a few mis-timed tips following the jump or wrested a few away, but actually having Sacre hit it first and in the right direction -- twice.

Dower doesn't feature a big time vertical or hops, yet blessed with nice timing, length, and hands.

If Sam starts, hands down it'll be Dower Power.

dnj116
10-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Need to play Harris at the 3 to get the bigs some minutes.... Or has that been said before? (sarcasm)

rijman
10-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Need to play Harris at the 3 to get the bigs some minutes.... Or has that been said before? (sarcasm)
I'm pretty sure you're the first to mention it, great idea. But seriously, I'm very interested to see how Few plays his bigs. I'm also interested to see which big is going to step up this season, hopefully at least 2 will.

MickMick
10-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Inherently:

Big men get tired quicker.
They collect fouls more often.

The frontcourt will see plenty of rotation because of it.

How many times have you watched a game (not just GU) where foul trouble for the big men was a concern late? How many times have the big men had to "hold back" defensively just to stay in the game?

Rob Sacre was an anomoly with respect to fouls. Big men just don't stay out of foul trouble like he did. It has conditioned us in to thinking that such conditions will remain the same. They won't.

Harris, Dower, KO, and Karnowski will log plenty of minutes and they can be aggressive while doing it.

cjm720
10-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Mick nailed it. Our bigs can and need to be aggressive. No need not to with our depth.