PDA

View Full Version : Alberts: So far so good.

BobZag
10-11-2012, 09:03 AM
He's visiting now and he says via Twitter--

@bryan_a_alberts Day one was amazing at Gonzaga, can't wait for what they have in store for today!

:)

ZAGGED OUT
10-11-2012, 09:26 AM
This kid is good, hope to see him in a Zags uni. 6'5, handles, vision, and an outside shot is a solid combo. 2015 with Alberts and KD would be a very tall back court.

zagitup
10-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Can a 2014 like Alberts committ this early? I know, I know... I'm getting ahead of myself... just wondering.

gu03alum
10-11-2012, 09:36 AM
The next Matt Bouldin. I hope he signs.

Worthington
10-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Awesome! All signs point to the staff making this kid a priority for 2014.

ZagNative
10-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Slipper Still Fits post from August (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/8/7/3220467/2014-recruit-bryan-alberts-emerges-as-key-prospect-for-gonzaga).

And another one (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/8/27/3273148/2014-recruit-bryan-alberts-set-to-visit-gonzaga-in-october) ...

BroncoZAG615
10-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Can a 2014 like Alberts committ this early? I know, I know... I'm getting ahead of myself... just wondering.

He can verbal, but can't sign yet.

Alberts will also be visiting a few other schools in the Pac-NW this weekend, including UW, so I would be surprised if he verbaled but stranger things have happened!

HenneZag
10-11-2012, 11:52 AM
He is a guy I want the most out of any of the guards we are recruiting so far..
If we could land Woodward and Alberts I think that would be a great combo.

Great sign that he tweeted his visit is going amazing, also posted a picture of the Bulldog outside of the MAC on his twitter...

What I dont like...I remember reading some literature on him last month stating he likes big cities, and that he wants to be in a place where there is always something to do...I know he is visiting UW tomorrow and Saturday and USC is coming into town to play football @ century link. Definately a nice atmosphere for a potential recruit...

So lets hope he has a visit to remember, and that he really bonded well with the players. I like where our program is compared to UW currently, and having a rich history with guards coming through Gonzaga will hopefully be another selling point...we need to add a guard with his size in the 2014 class, Alberts would be a huge get for GU.

VaBeachZAG
10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
If he is visiting/considering schools like Stanford, Northwestern and Virginia (all great academic schools), he probably knows his way around a classroom as well as the basketball court. I always get very nervious when a smart kid is considering Stanford. If we can't snag a verbal out of him now, I hope he waits until the end of the upcoming season, a season in which the Zags will hopefully make a great tournament run. Trying to be as realistic as possible (i.e., laying off the Zags cool aid for a moment), the best way for the Zags to realistically have a great shot at kids of this caliber is to show up and wreak some real havoc in the tournament.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Crossing fingers. This would be a good one.

ZagNative
10-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Here's an excellent piece in Slipper Still Fits (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014-gonzaga-recruiting/2012/10/11/3490762/2014-recruiting-big-board-the-bryan-alberts-visit-edition) about Bryan's visit, along with information on a lot of other class of 2014 prospects.

BroncoZAG615
10-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Here's an excellent piece in Slipper Still Fits (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014-gonzaga-recruiting/2012/10/11/3490762/2014-recruiting-big-board-the-bryan-alberts-visit-edition) about Bryan's visit, along with information on a lot of other class of 2014 prospects.

Thanks, ZN. Very, very exciting and busy time for the staff. This week they were in Olympia to see Donaven Dorsey, a very talented wing, and then they came back to host Bryan Alberts. We caught up with Dorsey a few days ago and he had great things to say about the staff and their relationship.

Not to mention that next weekend Graham Woodward comes to town. Very exciting times, indeed. 2014 needs to be a beyond stellar class. Seven current scholarship guys will be around and it is very likely that number is six if Karnowski leaves early (not saying he will, just if). Out of that group...only Edwards and Meikle will be post players and, to be honest, Meikle is more of a small forward than a post. Staff has some work to do!

Therunner
10-12-2012, 06:21 AM
a part of me wonders if the staff could be waiting a tad bit longer to entice recruits in hopes of a big year this season -- a breakout party with big stars and big games and big post-season wins.

if the Zags hold in the Top-15 this year and play well all season, we could catch the attention of some Top-100 guys, along the same lines following 2006 WITH Gray, Daye, Sacre, et al...

Dunno, but I sure would, since we have lightning in a bottle for this season with our current lineup.

still can't quite understand bringing Woodward in, but maybe a nice back-up option to Pangos & Co.

BroncoZAG615
10-12-2012, 06:51 AM
still can't quite understand bringing Woodward in, but maybe a nice back-up option to Pangos & Co.

I think folks are going to be surprised by Woodward in college, wherever he winds up. He's a gamer and I think the situation for him coming in is perfect. He can redshirt and then play a meaningful backup role as a redshirt freshman. Few proved last season that he was more than happy playing his two point guard options for extended minutes and I think Woodward is a sizable improvement from Stockton.

Hoping that we get a commit on visit from Woodward.

hooter73
10-12-2012, 07:31 AM
2014 does need to be another huge class along the lines of 2006 and 2011. We need to keep the talent level at the highest peak while knowing that there are a few "fill in" years that we need to get some solid 4 year guys in the program too.

Edwards and Meikle I hope will be solid fill in guys, but we need the 3 and 4 stars, plus an unknown or two (out side the US), to really keep us going. Are Woodward, Alberts and Dorsey the guys? Im still really gun shy from the Kong/Arop/Gibbs/Hyland/etc misfires.

sittingon50
10-12-2012, 07:50 AM
IMHO Gibbs doesn't belong in that group, Hooter. Injuries (plural).

Bogozags
10-12-2012, 08:07 AM
IMHO Gibbs doesn't belong in that group, Hooter. Injuries (plural).

+1

CDC84
10-12-2012, 08:25 AM
The staff can't really afford to wait on a big NCAA tournament run to entice 2014 recruits. New recruiting rules were put in place which allow juniors to start taking official visits on January 1:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2012/June/Basketball+recruiting+rule+change+effective+Friday

The upside of this is that the kids would be able to officially visit during conference play. A packed house at K2 is a great recruiting tool.

hooter73
10-12-2012, 10:07 AM
well maybe insert Vilarino instead of Gibbs but you get my gist...

Interesting on the new timeline. Yes a packed Kennel is something that will leave an impression on a new recruit, much more so than the high school gyms of our WCC brethren :D:rolleyes:

Vanzagger
10-12-2012, 10:15 AM
The pac 12 is ramping. UNLV, SDSU, and BYU are ramping up. We need to take advantage of a talented experienced team and have some urgency this year.

Screw this round of 32 BS. Let our best 8 play, kick a$$, and then go get paid. Then it is easy to reload. Coach K had to adjust to the one and dones. Mark Few can get over it too.

For some reason a lot of posters here want to deny it but Gonzaga is a BIG TIME BASKETBALL SCHOOL.(first time I've ever gone all caps....sorry) Act like it!

No excuses.

Vanzagger
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the update BZ. I'm glad Bryan got to enjoy beautiful weather on a more beautiful campus.

Here's to hoping he is a future Zag.

Zagdog71
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
+1

The pac 12 is ramping. UNLV, SDSU, and BYU are ramping up. We need to take advantage of a talented experienced team and have some urgency this year.

Screw this round of 32 BS. Let our best 8 play, kick a$$, and then go get paid. Then it is easy to reload. Coach K had to adjust to the one and dones. Mark Few can get over it too.

For some reason a lot of posters here want to deny it but Gonzaga is a BIG TIME BASKETBALL SCHOOL.(first time I've ever gone all caps....sorry) Act like it!

No excuses.

ZagaZags
10-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Lists West Virginia as high interest on Scout.com.