PDA

View Full Version : Mariners 2012-2013 Offseason

gu03alum
10-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Dave Cameron does a great job at USSMariner. Each year he comes out with an offseason plan for the Mariners and this year is no different. He has a very good plan in my opinion as it allows young players to succeed and also has fallback plans if they don't.

Dave's 2013 Offseason Plan (http://www.ussmariner.com/2012/10/09/daves-2013-off-season-plan/)

Personally, I would love to the see the M's make a run at Josh Hamilton, but I always want the biggest name free agent every year. I really like his idea of trying to get Swisher. I think Swisher would hit really well in Safeco and would give some legitimacy to the lineup. I'm not sold on his pitching suggestions, but assuming the young guys in the minors improve I guess it won't be too hard to make room for them in the rotation.

gu03alum
10-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Fangraphs Scout Mike Newman wrote up a post about Nick Franklin.

LINK (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/nick-franklin-the-seattle-streak/)

It appears from what I have read that Franklin will not be a shortstop. I wonder how this will play out with Seager, Ackley, and Franklin. I think all of them belong at second base. I would love to see the M's go after a bigger bat at third base and move Seager to second. I guess that would move Ackley to the outfield or first base. I'm not sure where Franklin will play. My guess is they are going to have to trade one of those three guys eventually.

webspinnre
10-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Ackley doesn't have the bat for 1B, and based on this year, might not have the bat for the OF. Going to be tricky. Ideally I'd love to see Franklin moved in some sort of deal for a corner IF or OF.

gu03alum
10-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Ackley doesn't have the bat for 1B, and based on this year, might not have the bat for the OF. Going to be tricky. Ideally I'd love to see Franklin moved in some sort of deal for a corner IF or OF.

You are probably right. Ackley will be a better hitter, but he'll probably never hit more than 20 home runs in a season. I don't really see him as the long-term answer at second. I don't really see Seager as the long-term solution to third either.

sittingon50
10-13-2012, 04:13 PM
not the "prototypical" bat (power) perhaps. Think Mark Grace.

They need a take no prisoners personality (Kirk Gibson type) in the clubhouse. Who's the leader of this kiddy corps?

gu03alum
11-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Mariners are front runner for Josh Hamilton (http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2012/11/8/3619788/seattle-mariners-josh-hamilton-rumors)

The Seattle #Mariners and the Baltimore #Orioles are expected to be the finalists for Josh Hamiltons' services,several GMs predict. #Rangers
Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 8, 2012

Mariners one of five teams interested in Nick Swisher (http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2012/11/8/3620674/nick-swisher-seattle-mariners-rumors)

Source: 5 teams have serious interest in Nick Swisher, including Rangers & Mariners. Swisher plans to reject the Yankees' qualifying offer.
Mark Feinsand (@BloggingBombers) November 9, 2012

I hope they get both of these guys. It would make the offense legit right away and take pressure off the young guys.

gu03alum
11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
According to Fangraphs the Mariners have the

#1 Catching prospect - Mike Zunino (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/newmans-own-best-catchers-of-2012/)

Admittedly, my only in person look was as a designated hitter in the Southern League playoffs. However, I came away so impressed with his bat speed and loft-generating swing that I’m comfortable assigning Zunino top billing based heavily on offensive potential. If Zunino is 85% the defensive catcher he’s reported to be, then it’s a slam dunk. Many doubted Zunino as the third best talent in the 2012 draft, but he has exceeded expectations to the point where he may push for the starting job in Seattle out of spring training.

#2 First Baseman prospect - Stefen Romero (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/newmans-own-best-first-baseman-of-2012/)

As indicated in the position introduction, compiling a full list of first base prospects worth mentioning requires a bit of finagling. The first of these positional movers is Mariners Stefan Romero. Across two levels in 2012, Romero combined for a .352/.391/.599 triple slash line while proving his hot first half was much more than California League magic. Against Chattanooga in the Southern League playoffs, I came away impressed with his bat speed and natural strength. A physical, but certainly not graceful player, Romero is unlikely to stick at second base long term, so why not first? If he can play second base, third base or left field in a pinch, even better. At some point, Romero is likely to force the Mariners hand.

#1 Second Baseman prospect - Nick Franklin (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/newmans-own-best-second-basemen-of-2012/)

At 21, Franklin combines the defensive skills and offensive performance to profile as the highest floor prospect on this list by a wide margin. Young for Double-A and Triple-A competition, Franklin’s PCL numbers translate to .314/.395/.547 against age-appropriate competition. He’s not an impact talent, but one scout compared him to Adam Kennedy whose career stands at 14 years and counting.

#13 Third Baseman prospect - Francisco Martinez (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/newmans-own-best-third-baseman-of-2012/)

Once considered a top-5 prospect in the Detroit Tigers organization, Martinez struggled to a .227/.315/.295 triple slash line in Double-A. At 21, he was admittedly young for the level of competition, but I saw a fringe prospect with an iffy set of tools. On the field, it was abundantly clear Nick Franklin, Brad Miller, Mike Zunino and Stefen Romero were considerably better prospects than Martinez.

#4 Shortstop prospect - Brad Miller (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/newmans-own-best-shortstops-of-2012/)

Does Miller have a ceiling as high as the fifth and sixth prospects on this list? No, but a .334/.410/.512 line including excellent production at the Double-A level has me believing he’s the shortstop of the future in Seattle. In person, Miller’s range was much better than I was expecting and he showed the ability to make plays deep in the 5/6 hole. This, along with excellent bat control leaves him with a high floor. For me, he has the makings of a three win shortstop with room for a bit more if things break right.

They have not done pitchers yet, but I'm sure the Mariners will have a few guys on that list too.

sittingon50
12-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Morales for Vargas.

Maybe they could also pick up Pablo Sandoval & lure David Wells out of retirement, put a keg at 3rd base & have the best slow pitch softball team in the Northwest!!

A #2 Pitcher for an offensive lineman. They need to clean out that franchise from the President all the way down to the GM. I'm convinced their strategy for putting together this team involves a dart board & a blindfold. But then again, I think it was Yogi Berra that said "you can never have too many firstbasemen or outfielders, until you do."

webspinnre
12-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Vargas isn't a #2, just because he was our #2. He's a 3/4 at best. A nice pitcher, but nothing special. Basically swapped an averageish SP for an averagish 1B. It helps the offense, which is nice, but we still need another OF, and now at least one pitcher (2 might be better).

sittingon50
12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
I understand what you're saying web, but disagree. Vargas IS a # 2 on the Mariner's, the team we're analyzing. At the moment, 3 becomes 2, 4 becomes 3,etc. I understand that pitching is currently the strength of the organization & where you're best able to trade from. But bringing in an out of shape guy to occupy positions (1b, DH) where there is already a glut just doesn't make sense to me.

Now, if there are deals to follow, this could all change. But Jack Z.'s moves just continue to seem pretty random to me.

webspinnre
12-20-2012, 05:57 PM
The thing about our glut is that they aren't good. Morales is a pretty clear upgrade over them. Still, if we don't get a solid SP to replace Vargas, this is just a lateral move rather than an upgrade. And of course, still need that OF.

sittingon50
12-22-2012, 05:45 PM
I suppose Raul Ibanez is the OF you had in mind?

I actually don't mind this as much as the last one, believe it or not. They needed a veteran clubhouse guy (preferably on the cheap). Although I respect Bay, I think Raul fills that role better. Quiet & workmanlike.

Still; OF/DH. Too many of them.

gu03alum
01-16-2013, 05:03 PM
I am so disappointed in the Mariners whole offseason and this trade for Morse is the straw that breaks the camel's back. They have done nothing to improve the team. They have not signed free agents and they just gave their best hitter to the hated Oakland A's. It's like Jack Z said, "Hey Oakland, you can have our high on base percentage left handed hitting catcher with some pop who is also cheap for the next three years and all you have to do is give us back an injury prone player who plays terrible defense and only does one thing well in return." I don't get it. I have defended Jack Z for a long time now and I just can't do it anymore. I have always respected his process and felt that he had some bad breaks. This is an indefensible trade made out of desperation. I love the Mariners and have stood by them all these awful years, but between this offseason and their attempt at blocking the Sonics return I am sick of them.

webspinnre
01-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Depressing. They traded one player who wasn't a problem to get another player who plays a position they already have basically covered. Looks like we'll be treated to a starting LF of Morse/Ibanez, which will be absolutely terrible.

Saxon_zag
01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
horrible horrible horrible desperation trade. So now we are going to get some REAL exciting catcher to take jaso's spot (shoppach or torrealba or something? idk) and we have mike morse again. Power is great but he can't do much else, and this is who we want to stick in our corner outfield spots? Mike Morse, Raul Ibanez and Jason Bay. 3 players we really didn't need, they aren't going to make us better and we just lost Jaso who was probably the very best OBP guy we have in the org. AND a CATCHER.

gu03alum
02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Happy Felix Day!!!!!!

7 more years!!!!

webspinnre
02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Slightly more than I was hoping for, but we can worry about that 5 years from now. One of the few bright spots of a mostly depressing off-season.:cheers:

webspinnre
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Reportedly also signed Joe Saunders to a one year deal. Not a sexy move, but fills a void created from trading Vargas. Best day of the offseason.

gu03alum
02-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Reportedly also signed Joe Saunders to a one year deal. Not a sexy move, but fills a void created from trading Vargas. Best day of the offseason.

For sure, I was very worried about the rotation next year. The young studs aren't ready and it looked like we were going to have to see Noesi and Beaven next year. I don't think Beaven will survive in the new Safeco Field and Noesi has some mental makeup issues it seems. I feel good about Iwakuma and Ramirez, but after Felix and those 2 it would have been pretty scary.

I am cautiously optimistic about the team even though the offseason did not seem to go all that great. I think Morales has a lot of upside. He was a great player before he broke his foot and now he's playing for a contract. I have no confidence in Morse. The rest of the team should have improved numbers with Safeco Park becoming more neutral. I think the M's had one of the top OPS on the road last year. Seager for example had 15 home runs on the road and only 5 at home. With Safeco changing it's dimensions I think a safe prediction might be for 25 home runs next year. He also had .835 OPS on the road, but only a .632 OPS at home. It will be interesting to see how much these guys "improve" this year with the new dimensions.

Run prevention will be a big problem for the team this year. Felix will be Felix no matter where he pitches. Iwakuma is probably league average. Saunders and Ramirez are both slightly below league average, and whoever the 5th starter is will be well below league average. The defense has also gotten worse this year if you have Raul Ibanez, Mike Morse, and Kendrys Morales spending any time in the field. I like the bullpen, but most prediction sites don't seem to like the bullpen beyond Willhelmson.

We may be back to the old days in the Kingdome where we lose games 9-8 off a Mike Schooler game ending 3 run home run.

bartruff1
02-08-2013, 05:28 AM
But he settled for $25,000,000 a year...

ZagsBaby
02-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Hold the phone. King Felix fails his physical?

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if his arm becomes an issue in the near future. M's have been running him out there for 200+ innings since he was 20 years young. Scary

Eroop22
02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
We may be back to the old days in the Kingdome where we lose games 9-8 off a Mike Schooler game ending 3 run home run.

Wow I so hope this is not the case. Mike Schooler is one of my all time least favorite Mariners. I remember my Dad saying we might as well shut the tv off every time he came into the game.

IrishZagFan
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Hold the phone. King Felix fails his physical?

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if his arm becomes an issue in the near future. M's have been running him out there for 200+ innings since he was 20 years young. Scary

It's okay, he's good! Now official! Long live the King!

felix-hernandez-seattle-mariners-officially-agree-new-contract (http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/story/_/id/8940931/felix-hernandez-seattle-mariners-officially-agree-new-contract)