PDA

View Full Version : 3 PT Optimism

Zagdawg
10-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Last year as a team we made 37.9% of our 3 PT attempts.

We lost 4 team members that shot 11% of the overall 3 pt attempts of the team-- they averaged 0.0%, 10.5%, 20% and 31.6% from the behind the arc.

I am optimistic that we will see the teams overall 3 pt shooting percentage go up-- but how much?

We have some big men that can kick out to our open shooters.

We have some more experience with our guards.

Your thoughts?

CDC84
10-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Zags also add another good long range shooter in Dranginis.

DADoZAG
10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
It will be a lot like charity shooting last year. At least at first, percentage might drop until legs catch up with each player's expectations of their game.

But yeah, the ZAGS will have five guys on the floor most of the time that must be respected out to the three.

Go ZAGS!

jpwils
10-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Nothing against the guys who left... but I like Draino and Parham better as producers.

3zagda
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Seriously! Bell and Pangos should be our primary options for the 3. I see lots of hype here for Dranginis on the boards, but he will have to prove himself on the court in D1 BBal. For 3s, Dont forget newcomer Drew Barham, he appears to be a sharp shooter as well. & Sam and Elias have shown they can drain the 3 consistently. So can PK, KO and GLE. If PK or KO are a threat down low, the kick out should be open all the time. Have we ever been this good from beyond the arc?
Yet having watched Few's Zags for 10 years now, I expect a "pound it down inside" whenever possible. Maybe Few will follow that formula, maybe he will change that approach this year. It seems he has never had a team that shoots the 3 like this one. Also, he has never had Bigs with the potential of this team.
Am I just drinking the Cool-aid or is this potentially the best team since '05-06?

Vanzagger
10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
it's going to be sweetsh.

GonzaGAW
10-09-2012, 06:01 PM
a post last month asked for your wild prediction for the up coming year.
mine was gonzaga leads nation in 3 point shooting percentage.

37.9 was good enough for 33rd place. not sure what was #1 off hand, but i know creighton's 42.4 was 3rd best.

so if we just drop out the low percentage shooters that zagdawg mentioned, that would bump our team percentage up around 5 points.

there is no doubt we have the shooters, the question is the team going to be smart and take the open shot, the easy transition shot, make the extra pass to the ungarded player (barham, dranginis). will hart and edi show discipline in knowing that shot is not their strength.

the team does not have to take 15 to 20 3's a game, in fact i think over 15 is too many. they need to be smart and take 15 or less a game and if they make 40% or better of those that is going to open up the inside like nobody's business.

i guess my wild prediction isn't really all that wild, it is a goal that is quite attainable.

Virginia Zags Fan
10-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Just like the NFL - does the run set up the pass or does the pass open up the run?

Same as college BB. Does the three set up the post game or vice versa? One thing I do know is that there is no threat where one does not exist. Meaning that if you have a team that can drain threes, it demands respect up top. Same in the post. If you have legitimate post players that must be doubled, someone is open.

A balanced attack is always best when you can do it.

JPtheBeasta
10-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Just like the NFL - does the run set up the pass or does the pass open up the run?

Same as college BB. Does the three set up the post game or vice versa? One thing I do know is that there is no threat where one does not exist. Meaning that if you have a team that can drain threes, it demands respect up top. Same in the post. If you have legitimate post players that must be doubled, someone is open.

A balanced attack is always best when you can do it.

One of the reasons I am excited for GU ball this year :]

zag944
10-10-2012, 08:37 AM
some thoughts...

I think its pretty cool that Harris, Dower, and Kelly all shot the 3 over 40% in their previous seasons of play. Maybe the sample size isnt huge, but its significant enough where these guys need to be considered a threat if they get an open look. Makes us really versitile.

Of the wing/backcourt players, Bell shot 48% which is a really high bar, but I think everyone else can improve quite a bit. Pangos shot really well too, but I think he'll do better if our offense improves the way a think it will, because defense attention will taper off him. Last year we didnt really have a guy that could drain the three from the wing position (Carter, GLE, and Hart all struggled). I think Draino will improve us in this area both through his shooting, and that GLE and Hart will need to be able to knock it down much more effeicently if they want to see the minutes they did last year.

Vanzagger
10-10-2012, 09:43 AM
take it. Hart and Edi need to be confident enough to pull the trigger yesterday.

Can't stick a Zagger 3 then stay the hell off my court.

hooter73
10-10-2012, 10:33 AM
my prediction is all our points only come from behind the Arc or in the paint. Nothing mid range will ever be needed:p

FieldHouseFishHouse
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Zags also add another good long range shooter in Dranginis.

They also get KO back, who shot 44.4% his sophomore year in about one attempt per game.

Maybe the team's overall percentage will go up. I think it's more likely than not.

I DEFINITELY think this team will get more of it's points from behind the arc. Unlike last year (with Sacre at the 5, and Hart quite timid on offense), all five guys will be threats to dial up the 3. That should spread the floor a bit and hopefully lead to higher percentage shots all around.

Reborn
10-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I really like this thread. If you know me, you know I like the 3 pt shot. It's the deadliest shot in basketball, and in many ways, Gonzaga got it's fame because we had very good 3 pt shooters for many years. We also had a point guard who could find them.

I have complete confidence in Dranginis. I have a great feeling about him, and I'm not the only one. Pangos was a poor 3 pt shooter on the road, and I think that will change "some" this year. I think Edi's 3 pt shooting will improve because I just feel his whole game is going to improve. David Stockton did not have as a good a 3 pt shooting year that he had the year before. I think his % will go back up this next year.

Sam Dower has NOT been a good passer from the post. This concerns me. And his inability to go to his right has really caught up to him. I am really looking to see him play. The pundunts have high expectations for him, but I feel that if his game has not improved that we will see others in the post. We need someone down low who can both score AND pass. Ask Robert!