View Full Version : Espn on zags schedule

RRZagFan
10-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Some more comments about schedule.

http://is.gd/RHFhwZ

RRZagFan
10-09-2012, 09:19 AM
2. Gonzaga Bulldogs
Mark Few was an early adopter of RPI-savvy scheduling, and this season the Bulldogs will play another one of those non-Division I opponents (Lewis-Clark State College) that are invisible to the NCAA's preferred metric. But in terms of games that will actually count on Selection Sunday, the Zags have really loaded up their plate. West Virginia will visit Spokane on Nov. 12 before Gonzaga jets off to spend Thanksgiving at the Old Spice Classic in Florida. A game against Clemson is assured, and ones against Davidson and Oklahoma are likely.

December will open with a visit to Pullman, Wash., for a true road game against Washington State. Illinois comes to Spokane that same week, then the Zags will meet up with Kansas State in Seattle. The taste of the Big 12 wraps up with games against Baylor (in Spokane) and Oklahoma State (in Stillwater). There's no single Kentucky or Kansas on that list, perhaps, but it's possible the Gonzaga "team sheet" that the NCAA's committee looks at in March could feature no fewer than nine top-100 opponents from the Zags' nonconference schedule alone.

gu03alum
10-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Some more comments about schedule.

http://is.gd/RHFhwZ

That link didn't work for me.

I found this Insider Blog (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8481623/five-march-madness-contenders-tough-nonconference-schedules-2012-13-ncb) that talks about it.

dnj116
10-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks, RRZagFan!!

zagzilla
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Up to 9 top 100 opponents + 2-5 games against WCC Top 100's assuming SMC, BYU and/or anybody else would be very solid assuming we win our fair share (which is all of them :-) )

If we were 10-3 or so against Top 100 and either a WCC crown or toutney championship should look pretty good to a selection committee.

We also need to avoid the dreaded "bad loss" in conference. Not sure why we were in such a hurry to schedule RPI killer, Pacific OOC when we are going to get them 2X a year going forward, though.

ZZ

75Zag
10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Up to 9 top 100 opponents . . .

I will take two victories over top 10 opponents against 9 games against top 100 opponents. I think the NCAA Committee might agree with me.

I think it is time to step up and schedule Kansas, UNC, Kentucky or Duke as regular season opponents, even if we have to travel to their stadium with no promise of a return visit.

Play the best, forget the rest.

Go Bulldogs!

UKWildcatsFan
10-09-2012, 05:55 PM
When I first looked at the schedule I didn't think too much of it, because it didn't look there would be a lot of ranked teams in there...but when you step back and look at the RPI side of things, nine out-of-conference top 100 RPI games is pretty dang tough.

NotoriousZ
10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I will take two victories over top 10 opponents against 9 games against top 100 opponents. I think the NCAA Committee might agree with me.

I think it is time to step up and schedule Kansas, UNC, Kentucky or Duke as regular season opponents, even if we have to travel to their stadium with no promise of a return visit.

Go Bulldogs!

That's a big step up. As long as we're getting our current level of scheduling, I don't think we need to go there. We just need to win two or three more games to get a better seed.

Not that I wouldn't love the challenge of going into one of those places, but we can realistically schedule those teams in a Madison Square Garden type of venue or get them in a Thanksgiving week tourney.

CDC84
10-10-2012, 09:08 AM
The problem with the non-league sked, again, is that there isn't a single universal preseason top 25 team on it. Lots of good teams, no great teams. The GU schedulers got stuck with a situation where they had to finish too many series contracts. It's a shame because this team could really use a game or two against a Duke or Louisville type team. Even in defeat, the experience of playing those teams would serve them well later down the line in the NCAA tournament.

The Zags are going to have to win a ton of games and have no bad losses to get a top 3 seed, or pray that some of the teams on the sked end up being way better than expected.

LongIslandZagFan
10-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Go Bulldogs!

Coach K wouldn't schedule the Zags... Except in a big money making venue like MSG.

sittingon50
10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/65085/nonconference-schedule-analysis-wcc-2

ZagNative
10-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks, SittingOn50. Interesting stuff.

Baldwinzag
10-10-2012, 01:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/65085/nonconference-schedule-analysis-wcc-2

For the life of me, I can't figure out how BYU's non-conf schedule is rated a 9 outta 10 on the 'toughness' scale. While their OOC is no slouch, we play all their so-called "toughest" opponents as well, in addition to the Old Spice Classic, BIS, & others...can someone please help with the reasoning? What am I missing or not seeing here? I'd say more like a 7ish.

Is it the Baylor game, perhaps?