PDA

View Full Version : NBC sports on Zags

RRZagFan
10-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Article they have after reading what CBS said

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/08/can-gonzaga-finally-live-up-to-being-gonzaga/

Oregonzagnut
10-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Article they have after reading what CBS said

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/08/can-gonzaga-finally-live-up-to-being-gonzaga/

picked the Bulldogs to make the Final Four this season, which would be THERE first in school history.

My word, what is the blogger internet world coming to. I love seeing our team's name in prime time print, but is NBC really going the way of teenage literary grammar?

This is the kind of stuff that brings our expectations and pressure too high, I have mixed feelings about all the praise. It is warranted for sure, since we won a game in the Dance last year, but still, this type of hype scares me.

Zagdawg
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Remain injury free, matchups and dance location-- and we can see what can of damage we can do.

jazzdelmar
10-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Painfully honest appraisal, save for ever having a mediocre OOC schedule.

LongIslandZagFan
10-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Bad grammar aside... Can't say I disagree with much of what is written.

Oregonzagnut
10-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Bad grammar aside... Can't say I disagree with much of what is written.

However don't say here on GUBoards: "We are underachieving and must have a final four to validate all we have done."

Gonzaga is in a bind that any team would be happy to be in. Yet it still is a bind. The fact is if you get an A- every year, that minus becomes just that, a minus. And not reaching what our team (on paper) is expected to reach become that elephant in the room for us fans. But for the 3rd party media, it is obvious. They expect more.

dnj116
10-09-2012, 09:11 AM
As much of a die-hard fan as I am (and we all are because we visit the boards day in and day out), I think the NBC article made some valid points. We've been the standard-bearer for the "mid-major" ranks for over a decade, but fall short of expectations every year despite pre-season hype and accolades that is bestowed upon us from the far reaches of the internet.

To be summed up, "its put up or shut up" time for these pundits who sing our praises every year. As dedicated fans, we will of course always support our team, but none can say that there is not some truth to the article. Here's to hoping this is the year that we live up to that hype!

Kiddwell
10-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Kiddwell takes issue with the following: "Then every year that team plays average against their non-conference schedule or plays a lackluster slate."

When lately have we played a lackluster slate in the OOC? Seems we always tackle pretty good programs (at least good on paper).

Also, how many individual teams over the last decade have been in the Final Four? It can't be that many, as there've been a lot of repeats (e.g. Michigan State, Butler, NC, Dook, etc.). Not that many individual teams, therefore, make it to that last weekend. Given that fact, the Zags' record since 1999 is a lot better than most schools from the so-called majors.

Over that time consequently we've got to be, on average, one of the top 25 programs. Final Four or no, Gonzaga is major. When Oregon State, WSU, UWKFC, Stanford, Cal, Okie State, etc., etc. start breaking through the Final Four barrier, then Gonzaga's rep can be called into question. (At the same time, Kiddwell would really like to see us finally make it to a Final Four -- :o)

Stepping off the soapbox...

:[

GoGU
10-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Kiddwell takes issue with the following: "Then every year that team plays average against their non-conference schedule or plays a lackluster slate."

When lately have we played a lackluster slate in the OOC? Seems we always tackle pretty good programs (at least good on paper).

Also, how many individual teams over the last decade have been in the Final Four? It can't be that many, as there've been a lot of repeats (e.g. Michigan State, Butler, NC, Dook, etc.). Not that many individual teams, therefore, make it to that last weekend. Given that fact, the Zags' record since 1999 is a lot better than most schools from the so-called majors.

Over that time consequently we've got to be, on average, one of the top 25 programs. Final Four or no, Gonzaga is major. When Oregon State, WSU, UWKFC, Stanford, Cal, Okie State, etc., etc. start breaking through the Final Four barrier, then Gonzaga's rep can be called into question. (At the same time, Kiddwell would really like to see us finally make it to a Final Four -- :o)

Stepping off the soapbox...

:[

By "lackluster slate," they probably are referring to the WCC schedule. Except for the St. Mary's "insurgency" and the addition of BYU, the conference has been relatively weak in the last 10 years. While I am very pleased with the direction the conference is going in (expansion, better mid-level teams like LMU/USD/USF, better TV deals), the national perception of the conference is still very weak and that's possibly what the writer is alluding to here.

I agree that Gonzaga has to get to a Final Four to be considered relevant again. While as a fan, I would argue that 14-straight tourney appearances will always be relevant, the average sports fan only watches CBB in March, and "America's team" has been disappointing the last few years. I am very happy with where this program is at from the standpoint of a committed fan, but getting to a Final Four would do sooooooooo much for national perception, recruiting, and my love life (just kidding).

hooter73
10-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I think it is a little lack luster when we take WCC teams down to the wire and only win by single digits more often than not. Hazard of them knowing our style so well and all that but we need to not lack any luster in all our wins.

RRZagFan
10-09-2012, 10:28 AM
http://bit.ly/RNrogP

hooter73
10-09-2012, 11:27 AM
http://bit.ly/RNrogP

wow, a full and concise write up that takes into account all our players. Nice piece of work.

Gonzdb8
10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
By "lackluster slate," they probably are referring to the WCC schedule.

after reading the article a couple more times i think they were referring the OOC when referencing the lackluster slate and not the WCC. not sure where thats coming from. i guess a couple years our OOC opponents have not lived up to their initial ranking and so it ended up weaker than when we scheduled it, but that seems like it only happened a couple times over the last decade. that said i do agree with a lot of the article. sounds like a perfect time to kick in the door and take our place among the truly elite programs. go zags!

007Zag
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Agreed, Hooter. I was shocked that they didn't ignore KD and KO. That was the best summary of the Zags I've seen yet by someone not writing on this board.

ZagsGoZags
10-09-2012, 12:40 PM
David Harten, author of the article has it right, well, aside from grammar mistakes (not typos). He must have made half of the grammar mistakes possible that spell checkers would not catch.

It is the elephant in the room.
What is Fran Tarkenton known for? Always losing the super bowl. Most would say, Hey, getting to the superbowl three times is Great. And it is, compared to all the other NFL teams except one or two. Except he is famous for almost making it to the top. It's the same with us.

It is the same with recruiting. Some (well, maybe a few) top 50 players in the country would go to Nome Alaska to play in a Mid-Major program that made frequent trips to Elite 8 and Final Four. I think our recruiting is excellent considering we haven't made it to the Elite 8 again.

Same with team mojo. When you are stopped in the second round of the NCAA tournament as often as we have been recently, it enters the psyche of the players, coaches, fans and opponents. Because we occassionally knock off a Giant in the Out of Conference games, we are feared and respected and nobody takes us for granted, and that is saying a lot. But the Reputation has been exceeding the output. Something has to give eventually. Either we live up to the Rep, or the Rep will go down.

We'll be OK without a FF or Elite 8 this year. I'll still be obsessively loyal.

But Harten is right. WE NEED A FINAL FOUR. We almost enjoy the reputation of a team that got there a few times. Let's prove the Reputation is right, rather than letting the reputation decline over the next decade because we can never exceed the Sweet Sixteen.

Vanzagger
10-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I've seen a lot of honesty here today.

gamagin
10-09-2012, 05:14 PM
GU needs to make a final four in order to live up to the hype.

dictionary definition of hype: "to promote or publicize extravagantly."

The article states, not unlike several GUB posters: ". . . sooner or later, the Zags are going to need to make a Final Four if they want to live up to that national hype that they receive on a yearly basis. Not for respect, respect is already there. But to be Gonzaga. The same Gonzaga that every year gets itís lionís share of the hype itís expected to live up to."

No, it does not. The source of the "hype" has de facto never been a Final Four. Why then, should it be now ? Because this sports pundit has space to fill ?

The source of the hype is the same as it's always been: playing and winning one or more spectacular games, plus the consistent NCAA appearances, and the "story" of the small school out west that manages year after year to be a contender, to threaten even if it doesn't deliver.

That commands respect. That manages to get everyone's attention because sometimes the so-called hype turns into reality. Because it's happened before and the team that annually makes the NCAA poses a threat. And comes to win.

Lately, i.e., the past few seasons, we have not produced any "classic" games like those that put us on the map, and that still play in the ESPN classic series all over the world.

THEY, imo, are why GU is in the hearts and minds of an impatient, sleepy, world, while others have come and gone. Even some teams, like Butler, who went much further than we have but has fallen off the radar and the hype we still enjoy. It may not even be fair. I don't think it is, fwiw.

But this karma is still definitely there, sans a FF, in our case.

The sports writer could correctly point those angles out, imo. He might even point out that the Zags, thanks to a much stronger WCC Few supported, are now faced with larger challenges and hungrier league opponents at home and appear to be less of a sure thing even there of late. That is true.

Some very good teams devote their entire season to beating the Zags, to take their place in the league and at the dance. Until it actually happened, SMC did little else except target GU. It finally worked. Others have taken note.

So skipping over all this, I believe the reality is it's become more of a chore for GU to both win the WCC and make the dance, not easier. Ignoring all that and suggesting it is a FF that will keep the hype going is akin to all the other pre season crap written by people with more (print) space or (air) time on their hands than they have knowledge or precious time to really research all the possibilities.

Yet, like GU, they carry on, doing the best they can with the tools that have been provided them: lamenting the hype they perpetuate, set up a false premise and then knocking it down. It's relatively easy and very, very safe. There is no penalty. These guys aren't managing money. The coaches get fired for failing to live up to the hype. For the most part, the sports pundits, like weathermen, are seldom punished for being wrong. So they play it safe and seldom stray from the hype, whatever it is.

And year after year, as long as Gonzaga doesn't fall flat and drop off the WCC map, any writer or reporter worth his salt, HAS to consider this little team that could, and has, made it way far up the NCAA basketball ladder year after year despite the sheer odds against it.

FF or no FF.

Long live hype.

bigblahla
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM

The article states, not unlike several GUB posters: ". . . sooner or later, the Zags are going to need to make a Final Four if they want to live up to that national hype that they receive on a yearly basis. Not for respect, respect is already there. But to be Gonzaga. The same Gonzaga that every year gets itís lionís share of the hype itís expected to live up to."

No, it does not. The source of the "hype" has de facto never been a Final Four. Why then, should it be now ? Because this sports pundit has space to fill ?

The source of the hype is the same as it's always been: playing and winning one or more spectacular games, plus the consistent NCAA appearances, and the "story" of the small school out west that manages year after year to be a contender, to threaten even if it doesn't deliver.

That commands respect. That manages to get everyone's attention because sometimes the so-called hype turns into reality. Because it's happened before and the team that annually makes the NCAA poses a threat. And comes to win.

Lately, i.e., the past few seasons, we have not produced any "classic" games like those that put us on the map, and that still play in the ESPN classic series all over the world.

THEY, imo, are why GU is in the hearts and minds of an impatient, sleepy, world, while others have come and gone. Even some teams, like Butler, who went much further than we have but has fallen off the radar and the hype we still enjoy. It may not even be fair. I don't think it is, fwiw.

But this karma is still definitely there, sans a FF, in our case.

The sports writer could correctly point those angles out, imo. He might even point out that the Zags, thanks to a much stronger WCC Few supported, are now faced with larger challenges and hungrier league opponents at home and appear to be less of a sure thing even there of late. That is true.

Some very good teams devote their entire season to beating the Zags, to take their place in the league and at the dance. Until it actually happened, SMC did little else except target GU. It finally worked. Others have taken note.

So skipping over all this, I believe the reality is it's become more of a chore for GU to both win the WCC and make the dance, not easier. Ignoring all that and suggesting it is a FF that will keep the hype going is akin to all the other pre season crap written by people with more (print) space or (air) time on their hands than they have knowledge or precious time to really research all the possibilities.

Yet, like GU, they carry on, doing the best they can with the tools that have been provided them: lamenting the hype they perpetuate, set up a false premise and then knocking it down. It's relatively easy and very, very safe. There is no penalty. These guys aren't managing money. The coaches get fired for failing to live up to the hype. For the most part, the sports pundits, like weathermen, are seldom punished for being wrong. So they play it safe and seldom stray from the hype, whatever it is.

And year after year, as long as Gonzaga doesn't fall flat and drop off the WCC map, any writer or reporter worth his salt, HAS to consider this little team that could, and has, made it way far up the NCAA basketball ladder year after year despite the sheer odds against it.

FF or no FF.

Long live hype.

Like it gam!

Go!! Zags!!!

MickMick
10-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm not hung up on the final four. Too many variables.

I could give a crap if people get their pantys in a bunch over hype.

By my eyes, this just may be the best GU team ever. If they bow out in the first weekend (ie. Missouri 2012), I would still believe it.

Rangerzag
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
If the Zags, as "mid majors," are continually returning to the NCAA tournament, playing, on average, further into the dance than our average seed would predict, and still not "living up to the hype" when will the collective sports media turn the logic of the worn out argument around and start demanding some of the pathetically under-performing, talent blessed under-achieving teams turn in their "major" identification cards? Instead of spending so much print space on how to classify Zags, why not spend that space pointing who should be minors instead of majors? No I won't spend any time holding my breath while I wait.

Shanachie
10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
A team not living up to the hype means there is a problem with the hyper, not the hypee.

Gonzaga is a victim of its own success. It is a kind of success that is different from what any other team has had. (Note that I didn't say that what Gonzaga has enjoyed is better than what some others have enjoyed, or that Gonzaga has been more successful; it's just different.)

People get tired of the "hype" surrounding Gonzaga precisely because Gonzaga has been good every year since '99. Mid-majors Butler, George Mason, VCU etc. have all advanced farther than Gonzaga in the tournament, but all of them have missed the tourney multiple times in that span as well. Same with "majors" like Ohio State, Stanford, UCLA, Illinois, and countless others.

Would I rather have the record of Butler for the last 14 years? Would you rather date Scarlett Johannson or Agelina Jolie? My answer is, who cares? If you're lucky enough to find yourself with one of them, you'd better not sit around wishing it was the other one.

It's not as if there is a tradeoff to be made. Unlike some others around here, I don't believe that good is the enemy of great. I think that consistently being a good team means a higher chance of someday breaking through.

Gonzaga has nothing to apologize for.

zagzilla
10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Tough to say we have underachieved in the dance when in the last 14 years, we have lost to a lower seeded team just 4 times. We have 9 upset wins vs higher seeds to offset those 4 and the other 18 games we have played to our seed.

Not bad. Getting to a FF is pretty tough when your average seed in those 14 seasons has been an 8. 7 of those years we lost out to either the #1 or #2 seed. 3 times to eventual Nat'l Champ-(UConn, MSU, NC).

Been a long time since we had a path through the bracket like 99 when started in Seattle vs. a scandal ridden Gopher team. Takes a little luck to get the matchups and we are about due again.

Go Zags,

ZZ

jim77
10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
The article is crap.

A team has been in how many tourneys in a row....and won how many conference championships in the last 13 years? Would I trade VCU's last 13 years or Butlers last 13 years for GU"s ? NOPE....I like the feeling that comes with knowing you have a chance to win every time you step on the court....year in and year out. GU's success as been incredible....and a lack of a final 4 appearance changes none of that.....GO ZAGS!

Zagtana
10-10-2012, 09:42 AM
The article is crap.

A team has been in how many tourneys in a row....and won how many conference championships in the last 13 years? Would I trade VCU's last 13 years or Butlers last 13 years for GU"s ? NOPE....I like the feeling that comes with knowing you have a chance to win every time you step on the court....year in and year out. GU's success as been incredible....and a lack of a final 4 appearance changes none of that.....GO ZAGS!

+100. Right On.:clap::cheers:

Vanzagger
10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
still a lot of honesty. A couple things. I scratch my head when I hear the small school excuse. #2 let's get a better seed.

I'm sure I can find you a school with 20000 plus where you got a half empty venue with most fans sitting on their hands.

Several guys in NBA camps and fans happy with 8 seeds doesn't add up to me.

Oregonzagnut
10-10-2012, 10:54 AM

FF or no FF.

Long live hype.

I agree with most of what you say except that the other GUB posters are not wrong. If that is your implication. We agree that its primarily the media that say we have not lived up to the hype. Yet I have a preference to how I want my season to end. I want a final four to "live up to the hype" as gravy to the masses. I don't need it. But I want the cherry on top! Like you I believe the Zags have no more hype anymore. Its reality. All we have are possible outcomes that are well within our grasp. The hype is now the same for many teams in the pre-season.

Is it hype to think that the Zags can make it to a Final Four? No way!! Just because the media calls it that doesn't make it extravagant publicity. In our case it is real publicity.

For me as a Zag, we are not hype.

Who WANTS to be the Dan Marinos's or the Buffalo Bills or the Chicago Cubs of the sports world. EVERYONE DOES. But there still is a real fact of not accomplishing the big prize, yet it NEVER invalidates the attempt. Every true Buffalo Bill fan will tell you that the failures in the Super Bowl were worth the "disappointment". And trust me, not one true Bills fan was happy they lost AGAIN!!

Why do you want to be the NCAA version of the Bills, Gamagin? I want us to strive for a N.C. and match the hype that is forced upon us! Its forced because we have succeeded to consistently, we deserve being put in this position to be the "almosts"

So my point is that, there is no more hype in the sense that it is unjustified. A final four is very possible. Now for Northwestern U. that might be another story.

I am and always will be proud and I will always know Gonzaga is unique and broke new frontier or all mid-majors. that can not be taken away, but we still have new frontiers to conquer. And since everything is relative, I will have some small sense of relative disappointment if we never get to another Elite 8.

Ever had an A- and wished you just would have gotten that last 20 points to get the A? Come on!!! Get real! Its OK to want AND EXPECT a final four. We are all still going to be disappointed after our last loss of every season no matter what game it is. All but one team ends in some small disappointment. I am used to it. It is sports entertainment. But it is a big part of my life.

Oregonzagnut
10-10-2012, 10:57 AM
The article is crap.

Yep. But so is losing that last game. I hate it every year. But it NEVER wipes away my happiness and pride.

We differ.

gamagin
10-10-2012, 12:06 PM
is there a simple, straightforward, question in your ramble ? I got cross eyed reading your post. tnx

MDABE80
10-10-2012, 01:53 PM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/09/top-25-countdown-no-17-gonzaga-bulldogs/

Zags at 19.

Oregonzagnut
10-10-2012, 07:47 PM
is there a simple, straightforward, question in your ramble ? I got cross eyed reading your post. tnx

I want a final four. I have that right. I expect improvement. That is also my right. So how much can we improve? Wanting or expecting more improvement does not diminish ANYTHING we have miraculously accomplished! Anyone who tries to say it does is wrong.

It merely adds to it.

You definitely found a veiled yet still insulting way to say that you did not read it and then even demand that I say it again for you.

Nice.

Zagdawg
10-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Why stop at a final 4.... lets hang a national title banner.

If you want to dream...might as well dream big.

gamagin
10-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I want a final four. I have that right. I expect improvement. That is also my right. So how much can we improve? Wanting or expecting more improvement does not diminish ANYTHING we have miraculously accomplished! Anyone who tries to say it does is wrong.

It merely adds to it.

You definitely found a veiled yet still insulting way to say that you did not read it and then even demand that I say it again for you.

Nice.

a second time:

is there a simple, straightforward, question in your (first and/or) second ramble somewhere ? you reposted my post with yours.

You drew me in, or are trying to. I'm asking what for ? What are you asking of me ? Why didn't you just say what you think is important in a separate post and leave my post out ? I'm not your foil.

Your rights have nothing to do with my post. Your post has nothing to do with mine. capiche ?

Oregonzagnut
10-10-2012, 11:51 PM
you reposted my post with yours.

You drew me in, or are trying to. I'm asking what for ? What are you asking of me ? Why didn't you just say what you think is important in a separate post and leave my post out ? I'm not your foil.

Forget it Gamagin, I apologize, I was not trying to draw you into anything and I quoted you. I did not repost your post. ?? Its called a quote.

Suffice it to say I disagreed with your post and if you cared why, you would have read it and you'd see there was no question for you to answer. I just disagreed. We disagree on almost everything so why bother.

gamagin
10-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Forget it Gamagin, I apologize, I was not trying to draw you into anything and I quoted you. I did not repost your post. ?? Its called a quote.

Suffice it to say I disagreed with your post and if you cared why, you would have read it and you'd see there was no question for you to answer. I just disagreed. We disagree on almost everything so why bother.

please don't cling to the illusion I did not read your post. My problem is I did read it. It begs for a good editor. Simple clarity. I tried.

re disagreeing "on almost everything," I'll never know until you, imo, decide to work a little harder, try to make a little more sense, taking a little more care, before pushing the "send" button on a post or a response to a post.

If your apology is offered sincerely, I accept.

ZAGGED OUT
10-11-2012, 09:38 AM
re disagreeing "on almost everything," I'll never know until you, imo, decide to work a little harder, try to make a little more sense, taking a little more care, before pushing the "send" button on a post or a response to a post.

For someone who is ragging on another persons writing skills....HOLY RUN-ON!

Oregonzagnut
10-11-2012, 09:20 PM
If your apology is offered sincerely, I accept.

Yes it was.

I tend to key in on demeaning attitudes that "elite VIP" GUB members use towards us "lessers" who don't share the same opinions. If the tone of a post implies an opinion I hold is wrong or worse yet "un-Zag-like", I respond. Since I am usually insulted directly here, I reply even when I am indirectly insulted. However, I don't think you deliberately meant to say anyone was "un-zag-like" if they feel "The Zags need to get to a final four to live up to the hype or the expectations."

I probably shouldn't take it as an insult that my opinions are labelled as a "ramble" because they are often long, but I apologize for taking it personally.

MickMick
10-11-2012, 11:17 PM
People have a right to want a final four?

I guess so.

That is the nice thing about living in America. You have a right to want stuff.

I want a final four as well. I promise I won't throw a fit if they don't get there.

I just want to soak in every minute of a very special team. They will all give it their best shot. That includes the coaching staff.

Instead of fast forwarding to the finish, I'm going to savor every game. How it ends up is how it ends up. If they don't get past the first weekend, I'm not going to stew about it through the off season.

I'm happy that this team is good enough to take the whole ball of wax. No guarantee they will get there, but they are good enough. That puts them miles ahead of about 300+ other teams out there.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
People have a right to want a final four?

I guess so.

That is the nice thing about living in America. You have a right to want stuff.

I want a final four as well. I promise I won't throw a fit if they don't get there.

I just want to soak in every minute of a very special team. They will all give it their best shot. That includes the coaching staff.

Instead of fast forwarding to the finish, I'm going to savor every game. How it ends up is how it ends up. If they don't get past the first weekend, I'm not going to stew about it through the off season.

I'm happy that this team is good enough to take the whole ball of wax. No guarantee they will get there, but they are good enough. That puts them miles ahead of about 300+ other teams out there.

I have pretty much followed college basketball religiously since I was little. My heart independent from any reasoning tells me the Zags can win it all this year. I have never had this feeling about a Zags team. With some breaks I think we are cutting the nets down. We should believe that this year and play with "Zag Swag"! I think Elias is going to be amazing in his Senior year. He is a true vet and I expect some great things from him this year. A National Championship/Final 4 as a team may very well find Elias in the first round of the NBA draft.

There are other very very good teams out there this year but the Zags can hang with them all. Lets hope that our guys stretch good, eat right and get proper rest to stay injury free. If we do those things and stay focused we will be meeting in Atlanta!

Val