• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiddwell
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GU: The Sporting News Weighs In

TSN picks us at No. 21. They like our height inside, worry about our height outside on D, so figure we may have to rely on a zone defense. Among other stuff. For instance, Sam Dower is "a beast."

Question: Kevin Pangos isn't a "pure point guard?"

:]

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!
  • Zagcity
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Mar 2010

Nice, but the writer seems to be writing from afar- toughness (did he see the Ohio St. game?), the Pangos comment and then the fear factor (the Zags no longer need to worry about their streak). I would say the league better start worrying.

Comment

• SteelCityZag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Aug 2007

I'd ask West Virginia about our toughness.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Yeah... Kinda weird overview of the Zags. Pangos not a true PG?
        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Ebay
          Kennel Club Material
          • Jan 2010

Not sure I believe that GBJ weighs 220 now. More than Guy listed at 218? Pargo weighed 220.

The weight category always messes with me. It seems like it is rarely updated from year to year. For instance, Kyle mentioned he weighed more like 205 in a recent interview, yet the GU roster listed him at his original 180ish.
          In an ideal world, I would have all 10 fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I don't know how many times last season I observed Pangos breaking away from the initial set and demanding the ball back after he observed a weakness in the defense he could exploit. Few allowed him that level of freedom as a freshman....to run stuff that wasn't called from the bench.

You can't do that at this level unless you're a true point guard.

One thing that I think this article points out correctly is that Pangos defends with zeal. It doesn't mean he was all that great defensively last year, but he at least defended with zeal. I would like to find out how much weight he put on during the offseason. That's his main issue on the defensive end right now. He has to get stronger defending the ball. But the effort is there.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
              One thing that I think this article points out correctly is that Pangos defends with zeal. It doesn't mean he was all that great defensively last year, but he at least defended with zeal. I would like to find out how much weight he put on during the offseason. That's his main issue on the defensive end right now. He has to get stronger defending the ball. But the effort is there.
              I was fairly vocal with my concerns about Pangos' defense going into last year. I had seen him in that televised all-star game and got worried, especially considering what we lost when Meech left. I thought Pangos did a good job; he didn't do anything that wow'ed me, but held his own very well, IMO.

I can see how someone can look at our lineup and see our lack of height as a potential achille's heel. Delly, for example, will look to exploit that, and I expect Few will cross match with Hart/Landry again. A good point about gaining strength was made above, as I think if Bell/Pangos got stronger in the off-season they can still hold their own against taller players like Delly, however, by keeping them off balance and controlling where they go on the floor a bit.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I can see how someone can look at our lineup and see our lack of height as a potential achille's heel. Delly, for example, will look to exploit that, and I expect Few will cross match with Hart/Landry again. A good point about gaining strength was made above, as I think if Bell/Pangos got stronger in the off-season they can still hold their own against taller players like Delly, however, by keeping them off balance and controlling where they go on the floor a bit.
                Kyle Dranginis as well. He is going to be an important player in the rotation. There isn't a player quite like him on the roster. He has the height you're talking about, but also offensive and playmaking skills.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                  Kyle Dranginis as well. He is going to be an important player in the rotation. There isn't a player quite like him on the roster. He has the height you're talking about, but also offensive and playmaking skills.
                  +1

Comment

Working...
                  X