PDA

View Full Version : Postseason Baseball

gu03alum
10-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Ichiro!

From Jeff Sullivan (http://www.lookoutlanding.com/)

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1517757/clip0229.gif.opt.gif

sittingon50
10-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Judgement call, but I think he's out of the base line.

gu03alum
10-09-2012, 05:56 AM

Ha ha, mavbe so.

I predict that the bay area will be done playing baseball after tonight.

webspinnre
10-09-2012, 07:34 AM

I'm fairly certain that he isn't. The rule isn't the actual base line, but a direct line between where you start from and the next base. I don't have a visual on where he started, but runners on third are often a foot or more into foul territory. Same sort of thing happens when you have a guy rounding first heading to second - his "base line" is actually from where he rounds, not the direct line between first and second.

KStyles
10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Taking the rule (MLB 7.08 (a)) at face value, it sure looks like he should've been out (and in my time as an umpire, I've called runners out in that type of situation, and also would've if yesterday's situation took place in front of me). However, this rule just seems to be another rule which is traditionally not taken exactly at face value (think strike zones before the whole QuesTec movement) at the MLB level, as this isn't the first time I haven't seen it called exactly at the rulebook outlines in a pro game. Just another one of those things that I think makes baseball such a great game.

Anyway, my interpretation of the MLB rule, as written:

Any runner is out when --
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runnerís baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely; or (2) after touching first base, he leaves the baseline, obviously abandoning his effort to touch the next base;

It looked to me like Ichiro was running along the edge of the 3rd baseline grass when Wieters' tag attempt occured. He then avoided the tag and ended up at the back of the catchers box, which is more than 3 feet (catcher's box extends 8 feet from the back tip of the plate) from Ichiro's 'established baseline' (which would've been the line straight from the edge of the 3rd base basepath grass, where the tag attempt occured, to home plate).

gu03alum
10-10-2012, 06:04 AM
I predict that the bay area will be done playing baseball after tonight.

I was very wrong on this prediction as both bay area teams stay alive. Nats play early today (1 ET) which as I've said in another thread will really mess up my commute tonight. Oh well, I hope they win. Go Nats!

RenoZag
10-11-2012, 03:47 AM
The comeback kids in Oakland pulled off another come-from behind win last night.
I thought they were toast when they left Detroit down 2 -0. . .

(Cue video of John Belushi saying " BUT. . .NOOOOOOOO. . ." )

Will be root, root, rooting for the Athletics to pull off a third straight win tonight.

gu03alum
10-11-2012, 06:58 AM
The comeback kids in Oakland pulled off another come-from behind win last night.
I thought they were toast when they left Detroit down 2 -0. . .

(Cue video of John Belushi saying " BUT. . .NOOOOOOOO. . ." )

Will be root, root, rooting for the Athletics to pull off a third straight win tonight.

How awesome is it that both Bay area teams might come back from 2-0 deficits?

CDC84
10-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Is it against the MLB rules to throw off your helmet in the field of play while running the bases? I see players do this occasionally while running the bases after a walk off home run. Just like last night. This strikes me as being illegal because the game doesn't officially end until the player touches every base. Of course there are all sorts of rules in the MLB rule book that are not properly or strictly enforced during the game, so nothing surprises me.

The A's have their work cut out against Verlander tonight, but it's their second time seeing him, and I felt they had the right approach when they faced them in game one. They just didn't get the timely hits. I mean, great pitchers control that sort of thing, but they took the right approach in trying to get his pitch count up. They really need to get on him early tonight before he gets into a groove.

webspinnre
10-11-2012, 07:47 AM
What a great night of baseball last night. Really enjoyable.

gu03alum
10-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Werth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Nats!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-11-2012, 03:13 PM
What a great night of baseball last night. Really enjoyable.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1180258.1349934446!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/coco-crisp.jpg

a13coach
10-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry GU03 but it might just be 2 years in a row for the cardiac Cards!

sittingon50
10-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Nats=Coug East.

gozagswoohoo
10-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Sorry GU03 but it might just be 2 years in a row for the cardiac Cards!

Wooooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!

WOW. JUST WOW @ that comeback.

kitzbuel
10-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Wooooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!

WOW. JUST WOW @ that comeback.

I am still sick to my stomach.

I hate baseball.....

gozagswoohoo
10-13-2012, 04:15 AM
I am still sick to my stomach.

I hate baseball.....

Yeah, sorry....I bet that was a tough one to swallow...

I pretty much wrote the cards off after 3 innings myself...

gu03alum
10-13-2012, 04:53 AM
I think the worst part is we're going to hear how it was all because of the decision to sit Strasburg.

I had an opportunity to go to the game last night and didn't. I'm glad because seeing something like that in person is way more awful than watching on tv.

gu03alum
10-13-2012, 06:57 AM
A little late, but I found this today and it made me laugh.

Jayson Werth Riding things (http://jwerthridingthings.tumblr.com/)

One of many hilarious Werth photos:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbsq5ga9701rik4pio1_500.jpg

KStyles
10-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I think the worst part is we're going to hear how it was all because of the decision to sit Strasburg.

Agreed.

We'll be hearing about that decision for a long time.

webspinnre
10-14-2012, 08:06 AM
More great baseball yesterday, and while I've never been a Jeter fan, he's a future hall of famer - what a terrible injury, and tough way to end a season.