PDA

View Full Version : summer scrimmage report (brock and more)

cair3
07-26-2007, 10:18 AM
went down to the mac with a friend last night to watch the team and brock play.
notes of interest:
the first game austin daye and micah went up against eachother; austin scored 8 points micah 0 and austin's team won, he continued to outscore him 18 to 6 for the rest of the night. micah may be of a greater value to the team right at this point but austin has more potential and talent. I see austin playing 3 or 4 years for gu then going to the nba when his body matures, hes just so naturally gifted and comfortable... he played some point as well.

the intensity overall was not that high and the basketball being played was not that great.

ira brown is always making some sort of play... incredible athlete

larry G is our best perimeter defender, gets lots of steals as well and had some real nice layups but overall he is not that good on the offensive end... it looks like he has no confidence in his shot and forced some things that led to bad shots or turnovers... its just too bad cuz his defense is outstanding. i hope he gets PT.

foster, sacre and josh were mediocore. josh hit some threes, foster and sacre both are a big presence in the paint (back the basket type of guys) but didnt do a whole lot. josh had some real nice passes. josh also played pretty soft when he had post up opportunities and called two weak fouls on micah when he could have just overpowered him.

steven gray was cracking, poping, and whipping the net with his outside shot, good complement to daye as a player.

kuso, theo, bouldin, pargo were all MIA

brock played... he is athletic enough to play D1 ball right now, offensively his game is not polished but he moves well without the ball, hit a three pointer, attacked the hoop but didnt finish his runners, got some nice tough rebounds, and passes nicely... i think he is a very good prospect for a HS junior, i can also see why he would make a great QB prospect. he is about 6'9 lean but strong. As far as position goes... he could play a 4 in a motion offense where he comes off screens gets to go inside and pop out. or a three in a traditional offense. i can see why some compare him to morrison in how he runs around off screens on the outside then slices inside and tries to finish with runners and some power moves where he draws contact, but his scoring ability is not nearly at the same level. maybe think of the style in which pendo plays the 4 but he has the actual hieght to play the position. i just think he would not be best utilized by trying to make him be a back to the basket only type of guy.

pendo and sorenson played solid D and didnt do anything wrong but im not sure they ever scored either. on one play pendo was going up for one of his usual husstle offensive rebounds and daye just flew in from behind grabbed the ball, above pendo's outstretched hands, with his rediculously long wingspan and tip dunked it. pendo went down the floor laughing as if to say, "s*%$ if i were that athletic... id give my left *&^ to do that."- i felt the same way

based off what ive seen this summer ( i dont think i will go see them play again) this is my prediction for PT this year:
starters (beginning of season)
pargo
bouldin
micah
pendo/kuso (depending on opponent and foul trouble)
josh
with gray, ira "shark" b, austin daye all seeing some quality minutes off the bench with (kuso/pendo) and josh all being spelled by a combination of minutes from sacre, foster, and theo coming in to play some back up minutes. foster has improved enough to the point that sacre could red shirt and the team would not be that much worse off. (i guess it depends if he wants 5 minutes a game or not) LG could get minutes if were playing a great scoring guard or if gu wants to press for a while (he is kinda like a defensive wild card) (i could even see him playing 25 plus minutes against tennessee (lofton) and hardly playing at all the rest of the games).

as the season goes forward I see this starting lineup:
pargo
bouldin
daye
micah/kuso
hytvelt
with micah or kuso starting depending on the other teams post players with
gray, pendo, and ira shark brown all getting serious minutes especially ira (who would absolutely destroy the vocal cords of most zag fans after gettting his third put back and one dunk of the game while dangling over some poor WCC guards back) ira=kennel pandemonium
i see bouldin and pargo's minutes decreasing in WCC play then picking up around tourny time. this will be good to save their legs.
fews substitution policy should be focused on resting pargo and bouldin, but if someone is not playing hard yank them cuz there is someone just as valuable on the bench. this may not be the best zag team ever but there is no way it is not the deepest. even sorenson could make a contribution, if he was on Portland or Santa clara hed be the white little guy that was 3/7 from three and making us check our game guides. gonzaga wont be the best team in the nation but there is not a team out there that we could not beat atleast 4 out of 10 times we played um. (those 4 games would be the 4 times josh played great instead of solid or mediocre)

strikezag
07-26-2007, 10:32 AM
outstanding report and a well thought out analysis. Nice work.

lothar98zag
07-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the report!

BobZag
07-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Cair3. Good honest report. When I watched them, Downs equaled Daye but Daye is just so long. And Sacre looked better than Foster, so I was thinking it might be Foster who redshirts.

Good to hear Pendo is finally playing. He took months off with that injury.

I hope to see the guys once more before summer school ends.

Again, thanks.

FuManShoes
07-26-2007, 10:38 AM
I appreciate that you pulled no punches -- the good, the bad, the ugly and the "he actually called that a foul in a pick-up game?!"

DenDiegoZag
07-26-2007, 10:50 AM
went down to the mac with a friend last night to watch the team and brock play.
notes of interest:

larry G is our best perimeter defender, gets lots of steals as well and had some real nice layups but overall he is not that good on the offensive end... it looks like he has no confidence in his shot and forced some things that led to bad shots or turnovers... its just too bad cuz his defense is outstanding. i hope he gets PT.

What position was he playing 2 or 3? Just curious...

former1dog
07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks once again, Cair3.

Always fun to read your posts.

lawzag
07-26-2007, 11:06 AM
thank for the report Cair3, reading it I almost felt like I was there watching them play. Your well-thoughtout analysis led to what appear to be good & reasonable predictions regarding playing time.

appreciate you taking the time to share with the rest of us :)

zagmantis2001
07-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I was there as well. I agree with the assessment: they all looked tired and the play was a bit sloppy. I would add that Ira is going to be a great leader both on and off the floor. Gray's shot is really, really smooth. Daye has a very odd release, but can shoot lights out. Josh seemed to spend a lot of time on the perimeter. Based on the hour I watched, Foster is a lot more confident than last year and has put on weight. Sacre? Wasn't impressed, but he looked pretty worn out. They showed a really cool video of last year with a nice segment on Raivio and Mallon.

MBZags
07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I think Micah and Austin are pretty equal talent-wise, but Austin definitely has the length and potential to be a better player.

wazZag
07-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks Cair, terrific report as always. Keep em comin!

tyra
07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
You ought get paid for analysis that clear and insightful. Thanks so very much!

ZagNative
07-26-2007, 04:14 PM
You ought get paid for analysis that clear and insightful. Thanks so very much!

Ditto. That's a fun and super-helpful read.

BobZag
07-26-2007, 04:29 PM
I know Brock has been playing multiple games per day since last Friday at the local tourney and then straight into camp. When the body tires the play gets sloppier and less impressive.

JLGutrocks
07-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks cair3. Nice to hear an update.

JL

cair3
07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
welcome,
lg was playing on the wing call it a 2 or three whatever you want, it was not that structured being that it was just a pick up game.
what really seperates daye from micah in my eyes is his ability to handle the rock and he just has so many different moves.
micah has a better outside shot and is more college ready, looks older, knows the GU system better, will make a more meaningful impact at this stage.

DenDiegoZag
07-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the extra clarification! GO ZAGS!