PDA

View Full Version : Who will have the most impact in 2012/2013?

OZZY
10-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Much has been said about if the Bulldogs will be better this year. Fan favourite and NBA player Rob Sacre is gone, and several other players are no longer with the team. We now are counting down the hours to "Kraziness in the Kennel", and a chance to see some new(and not so new) faces. Which rostered player, who didn't play with GU's team last year, do you think will have the most impact in the upcoming season?

Go Bulldogs, FF or bust!

bartruff1
10-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I will go with the Big Pole

75Zag
10-04-2012, 06:13 PM
By "impact" I assume you mean actual box score numbers and not touchy-feely stuff.

In my opinion Drew Barham has the potential to put up some decent numbers if he gets to play. His shooting percentages were pretty good at Memphis and at 6'6" he gives us some height which we need.

If The Big Pole turns out to be something of a project player (not in the negative sense of the term) and requires a lot of time to develop, I think Barham will contribute the most box score numbers of any newcomer. But I may be wrong as usual.

Go Bulldogs!

willandi
10-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I think that Special K will do a great job, when he can get Kelly out of the game. Too many times last season, I read how much KO ruled the paint at practice. I think he will have the nod to start at the 5, and will be the impact player, of those that did not play last year. On a technicality, Shrek DID play last year, just not for the Zags, but he is my 2nd choice!
Wow 2 bigs that have the chance to be impact player of the year!

MickMick
10-04-2012, 07:05 PM
from Poland, followed closely by Dranginis.

A toss up really.

Both will come up big for GU in the near and long term.

Therunner
10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
if/when Kelly shakes off the injury bug(kinda been banged up a few times over past 8 weeks), I'd have to go with him. Why?

Because EVERY.SINGLE coach, player, teammate, et al have went out of their way -- including Few -- to mention how much he's improved and will surprise on the court. Coach Lloyd even said he may have been the best player in practice for much of the 2nd half of last season...

Lest we forget he earned a starting spot at the beginning of his Soph season when Elias was experimenting at SF...

KO is the real deal.

roxdoc
10-04-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm with MickMick on this but would put Dranio a little ahead of Special-K since he is more of a known quantity from practice performance raves. He unquestionably will have a big impact on the team, The others we can surely be hopeful about with less informaiton but good reason.

NotoriousZ
10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Good poll, I've been wondering this myself. KO, Shrek, Draino--any one of these guys could have a breakout type season. It will be fun to watch.

Zag 77
10-04-2012, 08:44 PM
You must be Canadian, Ozzy:

Fan favourite and NBA player Rob Sacre

We spell it "favorite" in the States. Canadians use the extra "u" before the "or" in lots of words:

favour
neighbour
savour

LongIslandZagFan
10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
While I think PK will make a big impact... Kelly O... he is going to turn a ton of heads IMHO.

MickMick
10-04-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm with MickMick on this but would put Dranio a little ahead of Special-K since he is more of a known quantity from practice performance raves. He unquestionably will have a big impact on the team, The others we can surely be hopeful about with less informaiton but good reason.

My predicition:

I expect KO and Dranginis to show much early. I also expect a bit of early hand wringing by the GU boards on Karnowski. He will look "out of sync" at times and will not be a dominate player against the early big name OOC opponents. Folks will be openly questioning if he is a bust or at least not living up to the hype.

By mid season, Karnowski will become the focal point of the entire offense. GU boards will be divided on if it is a wise move. KO fans will be vocal.

By late season he will have stretches where his statistics typically top the score sheet and many folks here will by apologizing for their early season critiques.

By post season, we will be reading articles on how opponents will try to stop him. He will be descibed as the key to defeating GU.

OZZY
10-04-2012, 09:52 PM
You must be Canadian, Ozzy:

We spell it "favorite" in the States. Canadians use the extra "u" before the "or" in lots of words:

favour
neighbour
savour

Got two passports and both use the "Queen's English" spelling!

I've walked to school at -48 f degrees as a young'un and went to work here when the mercury has read 116 f degrees.......

2wiceright
10-04-2012, 10:45 PM
My predicition:

I expect KO and Dranginis to show much early. I also expect a bit of early hand wringing by the GU boards on Karnowski. He will look "out of sync" at times and will not be a dominate player against the early big name OOC opponents. Folks will be openly questioning if he is a bust or at least not living up to the hype.

By mid season, Karnowski will become the focal point of the entire offense. GU boards will be divided on if it is a wise move. KO fans will be vocal.

By late season he will have stretches where his statistics typically top the score sheet and many folks here will by apologizing for their early season critiques.

By post season, we will be reading articles on how opponents will try to stop him. He will be descibed as the key to defeating GU.

If I was a betting man, I would go with the exact layout as stated by MickMick... And I am also a big fan of Kelly O. This wouldn't be the 1st time (by a long shot) Mick's called it this early and is later proven right. ;)

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-05-2012, 08:45 AM
K.O. got my vote. I suspect that K.O. is going to be the best forward on the roster - better than Harris. I still think that the Big Pole is a year away from being a full-time starter.

Those two ought to form one of the Top-5 front-courts in the nation in 2013-2014.

cjm720
10-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I think KO, DRaino and Shrek will help help out immensely. KO got my vote though.

bigblahla
10-05-2012, 09:31 AM
It's up, looks good, down the drain.

I think the biggest surprise of the year will be the play of Dranginis. Haven't seen him since the last Kraziness but he looked fluid and covered lots of ground with what seemed to be little energy. He glides.

He can play 1-3 effectively and probably will. KO, KarNasty and KD heck of an addition to the returning team and then throw in Barham.

Gonna be a wild ride, can't wait.

Go!! Zags!!!

cjm720
10-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Does Barnham have one or two years with us?

ZagNative
10-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Does Barnham have one or two years with us?Two.

77Zag
10-05-2012, 10:00 AM
It's KO's time to shine -he is ready and well schooled on the system.
No more bow tie.
Best to Kelly to help the Zags move a bit closer to promise land

Go Zags!!

Reborn
10-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I like what Kelly Olynyk said about PK. I think Kelly should know.

Mantua
10-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Shrek, the lane filler

zag67
10-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I also have agree with mickmick. But I think ko will have a great total
Year and dranginis will surprise

Baseline
10-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Seven foot guys get tired. I think its greart we have two so we can keep them fresh. Two big guys like that should really tire the apposing 5's. It way pay of big at games end, especially of both big guys can run the floor, that's real pressure.

GrizZAG
10-06-2012, 07:06 AM
The only one of this group I have seen touch a ball is KO Version 1, so difficult to guess. If "Shrek" is able to play D and is a scoring machine underneath, I'm thinking this is going to be huge, but no info to go on yet. If the 3 has a ringer whoever that may be it could have dynamic impact also. Lots to look forward to seeing...can't wait!

Maybe we should take this poll again after we see a game or two eh?

gamagin
10-06-2012, 08:05 AM
how fast the newbies catch up to the speed of the D1 game.

Plus something seldom discussed on the GUB, the match ups and the individual athletes and efforts and spirit on the opponents teams and programs. It's not as though SMC, BYU et al are standing still while we plug in ever better talent.

It's a chess game. It's difficult to visualize from just one side & perspective all summer and through the fall without seeming a little silly.

That said, I like the possibilities, our players and the direction the program appears to be taking. I look forward to the season. My biggest wish is none of our athletes suffer a serious injury so we can see the team at full strength and performing at ever improving levels all year long.