PDA

View Full Version : The Education of a Big Man

Angelo Roncalli
10-04-2012, 02:22 PM
One of the things Tommy Lloyd mentioned last week was his vocabulary sessions with Karnowski.

Basketball vocabulary.

Tommy prepares a list of basketball terms/words every week for the big guy to study.

Screen and roll
Weak side help
Post up
Front
Etc.

The goal is for PK to improve his basketball language proficiency to make practice run smoother. PK is an avid learner, according to coach Lloyd.

Malastein
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
So should we expect him to more than replace Sacre on offense and rebounding, but to have a drop off defensively? Does he add more value than Sacre did?

GoZags
10-04-2012, 02:40 PM
So should we expect him to more than replace Sacre on offense and rebounding, but to have a drop off defensively? Does he add more value than Sacre did?

Are you asking about the "first year freshman" Karnowski (who has yet to attend an official practice) vs the "fifth year senior" Sacre?

It is my belief that after the first of the year Karnowski will add incredible value. Again, he is being looked at nationally as a "Top 5" type of recruit.

It is very, very difficult to rate the "who adds more value" question.... so I won't.

i.e Who added more value? Dickau? Santangelo? Frahm? Stepp? Pargo? Bell? Pangos? They've all added tremendous value to our Program. So did Rob Sacre. So will Karnowski.

Angelo Roncalli
10-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Expect?

I don't know what to expect. I haven't seen him play.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
One of the things Tommy Lloyd mentioned last week was his vocabulary sessions with Karnowski.

Basketball vocabulary.

Tommy prepares a list of basketball terms/words every week for the big guy to study.

Screen and roll
Weak side help
Post up
Front
Etc.

The goal is for PK to improve his basketball language proficiency to make practice run smoother. PK is an avid learner, according to coach Lloyd.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kv5--q8jzlI/T4HdqLetmLI/AAAAAAAAANw/jZ-6dhXLnyc/s640/Royale-with-Cheese-pulpfiction-thisisdiver.jpg

"Do you know what they call a pick and roll in France?"

"They don't call it a pick and roll?"

CDC84
10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
I think you also have to factor Kelly Olynyk in this. He wasn't on last year's team either. What you are doing, in essence, is replacing Sacre with two guys: Karnowski and Olynyk. One has zero D-1 experience but is obviously talented and a quick learner. The other guy has been in the program for three years and has significant D-1 playing experience. Both are 7 footers.

The question for me is whether these two guys, as a tandem, can make up for the loss of Sacre at both ends. I feel more optimistic knowing that this responsibility doesn't have to fall on one person's shoulders.

75Zag
10-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I did not follow the NBA when the "twin towers" were playing, but I am a bit skeptical as to whether GU can play KO and The Big Pole simultaneously without giving up a lot. And for my money, having Harris sit out while KO plays power forward gives me the willies, and I don't think anybody has suggested that The Big Pole can play power foward while KO plays center. And I have no idea what Dower is going to do.

Unless Few invents an entire new approach to playing college basketball (which I admit is a possibility), I can foresee that either KO or Dower or The Big Pole will play center, Harris will play power forward, Mr. XXX will play small foward, and our great guard tandem will handle the guard duties.

This has the potential to be a very strange year.

Go Bulldogs!

kitzbuel
10-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I did not follow the NBA when the "twin towers" were playing, but I am a bit skeptical as to whether GU can play KO and The Big Pole simultaneously without giving up a lot. And for my money, having Harris sit out while KO plays power forward gives me the willies, and I don't think anybody has suggested that The Big Pole can play power foward while KO plays center. And I have no idea what Dower is going to do.

Unless Few invents an entire new approach to playing college basketball (which I admit is a possibility), I can foresee that either KO or Dower or The Big Pole will play center, Harris will play power forward, Mr. XXX will play small foward, and our great guard tandem will handle the guard duties.

Go Bulldogs!
I am in favor of having 6 players on the floor whenever possible.

OZZY
10-04-2012, 05:32 PM
I would like to think that we could possibly see both "Towers" on the court at the same time this year. IMHO KO has the ability to play PF or even a short stint at SF, leaving EH to be on the floor at the same time with both of them. I would love to see some quick passing between them taking advantage of smaller front courts for easy baskets. It would also be interesting to see some smaller opposition guards try driving to the basket.........

DixieZag
10-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Go Bulldogs!

It will be interesting.

I have my doubts about putting any of the "big" 3 on the floor at the same time but the thought of two sure handed seven footers on the floor at the same time could sure present some match-up problems for any opponent.

And, if a team is struggling from the outside, I don't see any reason why we couldn't insert some extra size and really clog up the middle.

webspinnre
10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I am in favor of having 6 players on the floor whenever possible.

You, sir, are a genius! How come no one else has thought of this? :p

MDABE80
10-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I wonder who will jump center this year. Karno have a vertical???

LongIslandZagFan
10-04-2012, 08:52 PM
I wonder who will jump center this year. Karno have a vertical???

Does Karno NEEEEEED vertical?

Baseline
10-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Big guys over 7' aren't known for their endurance, so I expect Kelly and PK to go hard and share the time at center. Probable Dower more than PK at the start, but if he is close to being as good as stated he will garner more time a the season progresses, Dower will get some 5 time, but it will come from time from Harris. IMHO

You won't see it often, but the Kelly, PK and Dower could all be on the floor at the same time, depending on match-ups.

ZagaZags
10-05-2012, 01:35 AM
If Sam Dower gets less than 20 mpg, I could see him moving on for his senior year. Dower and Olynyk can transfer next season and not sit out a year. 80 minutes for 4 players, someone might get homesick.
Harris 29 mpg
Dower 20 mpg
Olynyk 17 mpg
Karnowski 14 mpg

titopoet
10-05-2012, 04:31 AM
I also know that GU uses its own language to communicate on the court. All teams do it to call sets and plays. PK is learning these as well.

Thomas_Sutpen
10-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Dower and Olynyk can transfer next season and not sit out a year

That statement is true only if they graduate from GU and transfer to another school that offers a graduate program not offered at GU. Otherwise,

any transfer from any collegiate institution to a Division I school must spend one academic year in residence before he or she is eligible for competition

The horse's mouth: http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2012/01/transfer-101/

Zagdawg
10-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Harris graduates and then there are 3 -- with the 7 footer from Montana getting used to college life will see little court time early-- Dower, Olynyk, Big K.-- 3 big man rotation is a good thing.

Hoopaholic
10-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Normally I would shudder at the thought of several 7 footers on the court at the same time...HOWEVER the current skills, abilities, and makeup with our current 3 7 footers makes me think you will see it ....

Karn or Dower can hold the middle down both offensively and defensively, KO can provide for a difficult matchup at the 4 slot on the offensive end as he can handle the rock fairly well, spot up and shoot so he has to be honored on the perimeter and MOST IMPORTANTLY pass well (especially the high post slot) which will enhance the low block hi-low option which then HAS to free up weak side for someone like Harris or Landry as their man will have to slip off to help on the low block duck in issues creating a very nice weakside option from the high post...if the 1 or 2 man slides off we have deadly shooters who can slide over to the open area and hit the jumper....DEADLY combinations if you ask me

On defense this would be a very long team being able to cover alot of the floor which bodes well for reduction in the three shooting options for opponents

I am excited to see KO and his improvements as he will provide for many different twists and options that I can think of NO OTHER NCAA team that will have these types of options .......

DADoZAG
10-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Highlighting added

Normally I would shudder at the thought of several 7 footers on the court at the same time...HOWEVER the current skills, abilities, and makeup with our current 3 7 footers makes me think you will see it ....

Karn or Dower can hold the middle down both offensively and defensively, KO can provide for a difficult matchup at the 4 slot on the offensive end as he can handle the rock fairly well, spot up and shoot so he has to be honored on the perimeter and MOST IMPORTANTLY pass well (especially the high post slot) which will enhance the low block hi-low option which then HAS to free up weak side for someone like Harris or Landry as their man will have to slip off to help on the low block duck in issues creating a very nice weakside option from the high post...if the 1 or 2 man slides off we have deadly shooters who can slide over to the open area and hit the jumper....DEADLY combinations if you ask me

On defense this would be a very long team being able to cover alot of the floor which bodes well for reduction in the three shooting options for opponents

I am excited to see KO and his improvements as he will provide for many different twists and options that I can think of NO OTHER NCAA team that will have these types of options .......

Great to have your analysis back from summer vacation, Hoopaholic, but must correct you on the three current seven footers. There's only two with Dower at 6í9 (although his length makes him play taller).

Also, Iíve been critical of Dowerís defensive footwork, but your keen eye must have noticed something Iíve overlooked. Iíll be sure to watch that a bit closer.

Iím right there with yaí on the passing options the front court should create and am looking forward to a front court player leading in the assist column on at least a few game stats.

The GUB needs to be a bunch of gra$$hoppers with Karn, imho. He'll be a star, I think, but it won't be by league play and he may not be there by tourney time. If he blooms as quickly as some think, heíll be a one and done and Iíll have to really see something at Kraziness to believe itís possible. That said, Iíll be glad to print and eat this post if the big guy proves me wrong.

Few mentioned a few years back about strengthening a teamís weakest link. I'd say he's been pretty darn successful as the supporting cast for this team looks to be phenomenal (as others have posted lately). Flexibility is a cool thing.

Go ZAGS!

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-05-2012, 08:11 AM
I can see using the twin towers together, primarily because K.O. is really a tall forward, not a true center. He can handle the ball in the open floor, shoots well from outside, and passes very well for a forward. If he was only 6'7", he would still be a viable Division I forward. He doesn't need to be chained to the low block to contribute. He played on the floor with Sacre for brief stretches in 2010 and looked perfectly comfortable in that role.

Once Harris moves on, I think K.O. will start at the 4 spot and either Dower and or Karnowski will be the starting center. While Harris is there, K.O. will play some center just to give him minutes, but I think he will have his best season when he finally gets to start at his natural position.

Vanzagger
10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
we got to get these skilled big guys out on the floor together and let them play through some stuff.

Will it always be pretty? H@ll no. I think of John Calipari letting some of his huge point guards work things out. Did he panic when they hit their first dry spell?

Dum down the play book and let these kids play. We got the size and talent. No excuses.

Drop step and dunk are the only three words he needs to know. He can figure the rest out on the fly.

Hoopaholic
10-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Dado.......I was measuring dower when he was in tip toes:roll::roll:

I think dower struggled defensively when he was asked to guard a power or ward but did fine straight up on big guy. Hoping he worked on anticipation and lateral foot speed over the summer so he can play more at the forward slot

And yes summer is over meaningful discussions about our beloved zags are heating up. And hoop season is upon us.....thank goodness so now I have a viable reason to leave my desk in a timely fashion everyday

BobZag
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Can't be as hard as The Education of Little Tree.

NotoriousZ
10-05-2012, 04:32 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kv5--q8jzlI/T4HdqLetmLI/AAAAAAAAANw/jZ-6dhXLnyc/s640/Royale-with-Cheese-pulpfiction-thisisdiver.jpg

No man, they got the metric system. They don't know what the *%#$ a pick and roll is.

Oregonzagnut
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM

They call it a "Pick and Royale."

kitzbuel
10-06-2012, 06:43 AM
They call it a "Pick and Royale."

+1