PDA

View Full Version : No sleeper this year

zag buddy
10-02-2012, 03:34 PM
I have not heard one pundit saying the Zags are not good this year. Here is another decent article.

http://basketball.themarsreel.com/college/is-this-the-year-gonzaga-gets-over-the-final-four-hump/

sittingon50
10-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks, buddy!

zagamatic
10-02-2012, 06:08 PM
This article won't pull up on my phone which is currently my only internet, can anyone post the article here? Please and thank you

team6
10-02-2012, 06:29 PM
SEP 28, 2012
IS THIS THE YEAR GONZAGA GETS OVER THE FINAL FOUR HUMP?

Maybe five years ago this wasn’t a fair question. Five years ago Gonzaga was the lone Mid Major threat to the BCS conferences in college basketball. At the time only George Mason had broken through to the NCAA’s grandest stage during the decade. With such minuscule success from their fellow mid majors, it was completely acceptable for the Bulldogs to consistently pose a threat to the National Title picture. Sweet Sixteen appearances and occasional second round exits were acceptable for a program that was viewed as being at a major disadvantage compared to those programs in the BCS conferences.

But that was five years ago, it was 2007. Then the Memphis Tigers finished as national title runner ups in 2008. The Butler Bulldogs replicated Memphis’s accomplishments in 2010, and again in 2011. They were even joined by the VCU Rams in the 2011 Final Four, making it the first time two Mid Majors met in the Final Four since 1979. As you can see times have changed for the Mid Major programs. Great news for Gonzaga’s fellow Mid Major programs, but terrible news for Gonzaga. Why you ask? Well, considering Gonzaga has easily been the most consistent Mid Major program since 1999, shouldn’t they have atleast appeared in one Final Four by now? Consider the immense amount of talent that has come and gone through the University. Adam Morrison, Austin Daye, Ronny Turiaf, Dan Dickau, and Robert Sacre are all players that have gone on to play in the NBA from Gonzaga. Maybe it’s not fair to demand such things from Mark Few, but in reality we live in a world were fans want immediate results and right now Gonzaga is just not doing that. On the other hand Few may be looking at a roster capable of accomplishing something the program has been looking for since 1999, and join the likes of Butler, Memphis, and VCU in the Final Four.

Sure, center Robert Sacre has moved on to the NBA but the Zags have a roster that in similar fashion to their past teams, is loaded with talent. It starts with Sacre’s potential replacement at center, seven-foot Polish center Przemek Karnowski. Haven’t heard of the Polish big man? Don’t worry, by the end of the season all of college basketball will know of Gonzaga’s biggest commitment since Elias Harris. The hype surrounding Karnowski from the talking heads in college basketball is almost too much. Fran Fraschilla, ESPN’s international recruiting expert, deemed Karnowski as a “huge get” for Mark Few and went as far as to compare him to Marc Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies. Jonathon Givony of DraftExpress called Karnowski a “McDonald’s All-American type recruit” and more ready to contribute than fellow international recruit Steven Adams, who will attend the university of Pittsburgh. In case you were wondering Adams was ranked as the fifth best player in the 2012 recruiting class by Rivals. Obviously a huge get and possible major upgrade for Gonzaga heading into this season.

Having an extremely talented center is wonderful but the backcourt is where Gonzaga will earn their keep this season. And the talent spanning the backcourt is outstanding. Possibly good enough to be considered one of the better backcourts in college basketball heading into the season. Their duo of sophomores Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. should wreak havoc on the rest of college basketball, each building off impressive freshman campaigns. While the two make a mean combo, other than being outstanding three-point shooters (Pangos shot 40.1% and Bell Jr. shot 47.7% last year) their games couldn’t be more contrasting. Pangos lacks in the athleticism category, but makes up for it by excelling at the things that can be measured by how athletic you are. In those terms, Pangos is a great floor general, someone who excels at getting the team into their sets and executing on offense. He knows his strengths and weaknesses, ultimately not doing any harm to the team by making very little mistakes. Pangos’ comrade, Gary Bell Jr. from a talent standpoint is a polar opposite. Bell Jr. was the seventy-fifth ranked recruit in Rivals top 100 for the 2011 recruiting class. Already a prolific three-point shooter, Bell Jr. also was known for his ability to create off the dribble during his freshman season. While Bell Jr. has immense talent at his disposal he is still learning how to use his offensive skill set, and it certainly showed last season. Despite averaging 10.4 points per game last year Bell Jr. was a rollercoaster for Mark Few. Gonzaga was forced to see Bell Jr. score below ten points seventeen times last season. Sure the good games for Bell Jr. were extremely solid, but you would like to see a little more consistency from such a talented player.

Ultimately no matter how good the pieces are for Mark Few, he is well aware Gonzaga will go as far as senior Elias Harris will take them. Back when Harris had signed his letter of intent to play for Gonzaga he was deemed Mark Few’s most crucial commitment during his tenure. High expectations to place a young man from Germany, and while there have been flashes of brilliance from Harris it is quite a bit surprising to see him still in a Zags uniform and not one of an NBA team. With three years under his belt there would be no better time to break out than his senior year. It’s not as if the numbers he put up his junior year were bad either, 13.1 points and 8.5 rebounds are pretty solid numbers for any player in college. For a player that can beat you inside and out, off the dribble and catch and shoot, they somehow did manage to disappoint. Perhaps all the first round rumblings after his breakout freshman campaign doomed Harris to unachievable expectations. Or maybe Harris was just saving his best for last. Either way Mark Few will be betting on a big season from Harris, whether you want to gamble on a player of Harris’s caliber is a whole other conversation.

With preseason polls yet to be released you can expect the Gonzaga Bulldogs to start the season in the top 25 for the ninth time since 2002. Nine times Gonzaga has been deemed to have a top 25 caliber roster and no Final Fours to show for it. With the likes of VCU and Butler crashing the recent Final Four parties, it’s only a matter of time before Gonzaga does the same. What better time to do so than now.

zagamatic
10-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks TEAM6

team6
10-02-2012, 08:20 PM
No problem buddy, I know I can't stand when articles wont come on my phone.

willandi
10-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I've never had an article come on my phone...but it's a very old phone.

team6
10-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah I used to have an iphone but I never really used it except for talking so i went back with some simple phone... so really I can't get an article on my phone anymore either.

BobZag
10-03-2012, 09:15 AM
We should be good, better than last year as frosh become sophs and the additions via redshirts and newcomers. Some of the coaches have never been more excited about a team and upcoming season.

But the proof is in the pudding, we really won't know how this team is until they start playing games. We'll see.

JPtheBeasta
10-03-2012, 10:18 AM
We should be good, better than last year as frosh become sophs and the additions via redshirts and newcomers. Some of the coaches have never been more excited about a team and upcoming season.

But the proof is in the pudding, we really won't know how this team is until they start playing games. We'll see.

That's good news vis a vis the coaches. It reminds me a bit of the quiet excitement the coaches had before Adam's last year. (I hope this year ends better.) I feel like we have all of the pieces for the first time in a while. As mentioned before, perhaps the biggest question mark is depth at the guard spot, but I think Draino and co. are up to the task.

Reborn
10-03-2012, 04:23 PM
What really caught my attention was when he compared PK with the 5th highest recruit in 2012 and actually said PK was better. He also said he would have been a McDonald's All American if he had been in the UsA. These are outstanding statements. I've compared what I think his impact on the Zags will be this season to what Kevin's was last year. This articles confirms that.

Yes, caustious Bob is right, we need to wait until the play a few games to see "how good" they are. But dang it. I don't want to wait. I'm saying it now. These Zags are going to be really exciting and do very good things....Let's Go Zags.

Zagcity
10-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, caustious Bob is right, we need to wait until the play a few games to see "how good" they are. But dang it. I don't want to wait. I'm saying it now. These Zags are going to be really exciting and do very good things....Let's Go Zags.

Yes, so exciting that we have bought the WCC tourney tickets for the first time ever (won't get til Febuary though), airfare, car rental and such already-pretty jazzed :D