PDA

View Full Version : US Lost to Uruguay at the Pan-Am Games

Radbooks
07-25-2007, 07:47 PM
They lost by a score of 72-81. To Uruguay? How do we lose to them? Derrick Low didn't play a single minute so MAYBE that accounts for it... I don't know if he is injured or sick or what. Kyle Weaver played over 20 minutes and had 4 points and 2 rebounds.

I know we haven't won the gold at the Pan-Am games since 1983, but it still amazes me the teams we lose to.

jbslicer
07-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Just like Argentina?

azzagfan
07-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Coach Wrights' Villanova player Scottie Reynolds lit it up with 9 turnovers and 1 for 9 on 3s in the opener.

azzagfan
07-25-2007, 08:50 PM
The team was 3 for 21 on 3s in the game. I'll bet Coach Wright wishes he would have kept Chris Lofton.

Nevtelen
07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Somehow, I'm not as nervous about Matt's play in the U19 games now. Comparing how good I know some of those players are with how they did...

VinnyZag
07-25-2007, 10:48 PM
They've got at least one NBA guy on that team ... Esteban Batista, often mistaken for JP Batista (by me at least) in NBA box scores. I get the impression that many of the other countries at the Pan Ams are fielding older teams with domestic and European pros, as opposed to our college kids.

jbslicer
07-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Why can't the US dominate international play?

CDC84
07-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Part of the problem with the Pan Am team is how it is selected. They have a panel of people who make the first cut as opposed to the head coach and his assistants who will actually be coaching the kids in international competition. The panel, after they make their cuts, disappears into thin air. I have no doubt that there are several players that were cut, including Chris Lofton, that Wright didn't agree with. If this Pan Am team continues to struggle, I expect there to be a lot of criticism of the panel and a push to abolish it.

Think about it.....Wainwright had to practically recruit kids to play on the U-19 team because so many people opted out, but he was able to hand select his team and pick the guys that he felt would best fit into his concept of how the thing should work. The U-19 team won every game until their legs gave out in the title game after playing 9 games in 12 days. Now you can only imagine the type of team Wright could have selected if he made all the cuts.....the Pan Am team had a much larger pool of players to select from.

I am beginning to believe that what is important for Team USA is to select their teams not based on talent alone, but based on who the head coach and his assistants feel comfortable working with. Otherwise you're just throwing balls on to the court, and that's not going to work against international teams whose players have a lot more experience playing with each other.

SteeleMan
07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
It's not an excuse or anything, but it appears that the USA Pan AM team is somewhat young compared to the other teams. Look at Uruguay's squad (http://www.rio2007.org.br/WWW/ENG/BIO/TEAM/9595153.html)compared to the US's (http://www.rio2007.org.br/WWW/ENG/BIO/TEAM/9595731.html) (DOB's).

There's a difference in the level of experience, etc.

kdoggy
07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
the best team basketball is not played in the US and they simply don't have the talent to overcome it, not for U20 or the highest level.

It starts in the youth leagues, the summer slam and jam tournaments, tellling kids how great they are by putting them on "Select travel teams" where they spend more time in airports than balling. It ain't just basketball. It also goes for soccer and baseball.

I give uruguay their due props, those guys probably have mad game, but losing to Uruguay should not happen.

Radbooks
07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Ouch, another loss. I wonder if something is wrong with Low because he played like a minute. Ellington (isn't he from N. Carolina didn't play and Dorsey from Memphis played about a minute)

I agree with you Kdoggy, that we don't play as much fundamental basketball here as they do in some places. But, I think the bigger problem is that these guys have had two weeks to try out and come together as a team. It's not much time to learn to play together.

I sure hope the Sr. team does better in the Tournament of the Americas so that we actually make it to the next Olympics. ;)

jazzdelmar
07-26-2007, 05:29 PM
what is redick doing on the team? and battier? yea, i knw why, but then why isn't eric meek and cherokee parks....