PDA

View Full Version : I was wrong

germzag
09-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Mark Few is a great coach. I hope he stays for 40 more years. I just want urgency. We have a real, real good team. I saw them scrimmage. Really good. Reminds me of the Turiaf, Morrison days. Bouldin in '10 was great but this team will be better. Making the tourney is a given with this team. But lets not settle . FF 2013!!

Worthington
09-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Oooh can we get a scrimmage report?!

bartruff1
09-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Please see thread " Seattle Basketball Tipoff Luncheon " Item # 2 Post # 31 By 75 and heed the warning about getting your head to far infront of your tip...

zag buddy
09-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Germzag are you feeling alright? Nice and refreshing and I'm with you. Go Zags

Oregonzagnut
09-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Settling is not our problem. Even though it is the problem every team has BUT ONE, every year. Urgency is closer to the real issue, whatever we define that as. But for me it is what I DEFINE as management of "killer instinct" and "No mercy".

Our staff, and our team is both the problem AND THE SOLUTION, because we are what we are. No other program has ever been where we are or where or staff and players have been with regard to such long term elite regular season success.

So when Mark Few learns what it takes to rise above that Sweet 16 game, we need to hope we have the team and chemistry that can handle the answer.

BUT SERIOUSLY GERMZAG:

What were your specific thoughts on the scrimmage. Player by player.

How was Kelly? How was Karno?

willandi
09-29-2012, 08:38 PM
And when did they scrimmage in the Solomon Islands?

Oregonzagnut
09-29-2012, 09:00 PM
And when did they scrimmage in the Solomon Islands?

Is this mystery "scrimmage" loosely considered to be the making of a certain trick shot video?

Zag 77
09-29-2012, 10:08 PM
From another thread mentioning asst Coach Lloyd's comments at Seattle Luncheon:

GU coaching staff is dedicated to winning the conference and some games in the NCAA. Those who "demand" Elite 8 or Final 4 type results are "getting their heads out too far over the tips of their skis" (his exact words).

MickMick
09-29-2012, 10:37 PM
The team is good enough to reach a final four. So are about 30 other teams.

You know the drill.

Seeding, peaking at the right time, matchups, travel, injuries, best shooter gone cold, etc.

With respect to "settling", I think using that term reveals quite a bit about a person that uses it.

Let me give my measuring stick.

Does the team get me out of my seat with excitement when watching them? Do they consistently play very well, but occasionally lose to another team that is playing equally well on a given night? The answer to both would be yes. I just don't see where "settling" comes in to the picture.

If the team had obvious, glaring holes, I could see being frustrated. This team doesn't, so no reason to be frustrated. Be happy that GU is fielding a very good team and let the chips fall where they may. They are good enough to go far, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

JPtheBeasta
09-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Gimme, gimme, gimme. I neeed! I neeeed!

MDABE80
09-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Germ's got some satire on his mind.

Birddog
09-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Germ's got some satire on his mind.

Maybe, but he's closer to Robert Swift than to Jonathan Swift.

HOOTER
09-30-2012, 12:10 PM
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/NarutoNandaime/what-about-bob.jpg

JPtheBeasta
09-30-2012, 02:53 PM
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/NarutoNandaime/what-about-bob.jpg

Perfect!

Vanzagger
09-30-2012, 04:22 PM
GU coaching staff is dedicated to winning the conference and some games in the NCAA. Those who "demand" Elite 8 or Final 4 type results are "getting their heads out too far over the tips of their skis" (his exact words).

Excuses and trying to talk down expectations.....I don't like that.

Russel Wilson had a chance to get me off the air today. Are the Hawks in last place?

bostonzagfan
09-30-2012, 04:58 PM
you know that brees is a whole inch taller than wilson?

Zagdawg
09-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Underpromise and overdeliver as some of us in the sales industry would say.......or if your in politics....what is going on now in both camps with the debates looming.

HOOTER
09-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Perfect!

I thought you might like that.

jim77
09-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Couldn't help but notice the slight aroma of Zags basketball in the air. I've been very busy working and buying/selling houses. I got that extra sense of urgency today to get the man-cave ready for the BB season....and the great weather didn't hurt either.

I'm just really looking forward to seeing the fellas play some ball....the only settling I'm thinking about is.....settling in the recliner watching the Zags.

I'm not worried about e8 or FF's......this team will be fun to watch!

Vanzagger
10-01-2012, 07:39 AM
you know that brees is a whole inch taller than wilson?

Brees and Wilson are real easy to root for. From all accounts they seem to be incredible men. I hope they meet up in the Conference Championship for years to come. They have a ways to go this year since both teams are in last place.

Brees has been in incredible situations his whole career. At Purdue he got to run an exciting "spread offense" before any Big 10 D-coordinators knew the term. San Diego, post Leif, was a young team stock pilling talent and playing with a chip on their shoulder because of the way the Manning family gave them the biggest Dis in professional sports history. Some people seem to think Norv Turner and Sean Payton are pretty good play callers. The latter who I was saying would be coaching Super Bowls before he ever got offered the Saints job. The Saints were loaded too.

Sports evolve. Don't bring a 5-10 qb into a now passing league and give him the keys to the car after 4 quarters of warm weather preseason ball. To me that's as bad as red shirting a proven junior talent with size who can help you win an extra game or more.

Sean Payton got hosed. Bounty?

JPtheBeasta
10-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Brees and Wilson are real easy to root for. From all accounts they seem to be incredible men. I hope they meet up in the Conference Championship for years to come. They have a ways to go this year since both teams are in last place.

Brees has been in incredible situations his whole career. At Purdue he got to run an exciting "spread offense" before any Big 10 D-coordinators knew the term. San Diego, post Leif, was a young team stock pilling talent and playing with a chip on their shoulder because of the way the Manning family gave them the biggest Dis in professional sports history. Some people seem to think Norv Turner and Sean Payton are pretty good play callers. The latter who I was saying would be coaching Super Bowls before he ever got offered the Saints job. The Saints were loaded too.

Sports evolve. Don't bring a 5-10 qb into a now passing league and give him the keys to the car after 4 quarters of warm weather preseason ball. To me that's as bad as red shirting a proven junior talent with size who can help you win an extra game or more.

You do know this is a Gonzaga men's basketball message board, right? The frequent critiques of the heights of various NFL quarterbacks is irrelevant to the stated purpose of this site. I like football, but there are other places here to talk football, and just about anything else. I know things go tangential a lot around here, but attempts to stay on topic, or at least in the same universe of GU basketball, is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited to add: I just re-read this and apologize if it comes across abrasive or rude. I still would like to see less football talk. However, this represents only one person's opinion, obviously, and I don't want to be speaking out of turn. I didn't want to delete the post though, in case this is an issue with other posters around here as well.

MDABE80
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
With 2 weeks until they legally lace em up, there has GOT to be more about the team.
Who's got the "goods"...???

bartruff1
10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Van knows rude..

75Zag
10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Never mind.

Go Bulldogs!

bostonzagfan
10-01-2012, 06:21 PM

why is height the only thing that matters to you? if gary bell was a 6'5" or 6'6" SG, he would be at Kentucky right now. we can either have a player like gary bell who is slightly undersized to be a sg in college basketball, or we can have a 6'5" guy with worse skills. obviously taller is better if all else is equal, but it isn't. the 6'5" guy with gbell skills doesn't go to gonzaga in the current hoops landscape.

willandi
10-01-2012, 07:20 PM
why is height the only thing that matters to you? if gary bell was a 6'5" or 6'6" SG, he would be at Kentucky right now. we can either have a player like gary bell who is slightly undersized to be a sg in college basketball, or we can have a 6'5" guy with worse skills. obviously taller is better if all else is equal, but it isn't. the 6'5" guy with gbell skills doesn't go to gonzaga in the current hoops landscape.

Because we might get stuck with another 6' PG that goes on to set the NBA record for assists. Who would want that?

(SATIRE)

GoZags
10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Or stuck with another 6' PG that goes on to set the alltime NBA record for steals. Who would want that?

Because we might get stuck with another 6' PG that goes on to set the NBA record for assists. Who would want that?

Oregonzagnut
10-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Or stuck with another 6' PG that goes on to set the alltime NBA record for steals. Who would want that?

Wouldn't want a CAREER average double double either!

MDABE80
10-01-2012, 09:42 PM
No we sure wouldn't want any of those things in tiny 6 ft guard.........no matter what they say:)

Oregonzagnut
10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
No we sure wouldn't want any of those things in tiny 6 ft guard.........no matter when they say:)

And above all, NO NO NO absolutely no Hall Of Famers!

But to give Vanzagger a little credit, Stockton was taller than 6'. He was 6'1".

GoZags
10-02-2012, 04:03 AM
And above all, NO NO NO absolutely no Hall Of Famers!

But to give Vanzagger a little credit, Stockton was taller than 6'. He was 6'1".

Program height.

sonuvazag
10-02-2012, 04:53 AM
John Stockton was listed as 6'0" in college and even that was probably a program height.

LongIslandZagFan
10-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Program height.

Without a doubt program height. Met JS my soph year at GU in 86... I'm 6'0"... He was most assuredly NOT taller than me. We were Definitly eye to eye height wise.

Oregonzagnut
10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Without a doubt program height. Met JS my soph year at GU in 86... I'm 6'0"... He was most assuredly NOT taller than me. We were Definitly eye to eye height wise.

He was definitely taller than me but I can't find any stat sheet that has him listed a 6' even. Even his rookie card and kelloggs college card have him listed as 6'1".

There must be a taboo about being 6' or under.

Sorry Vanzagger, I tried.

Dickau is listed as 6'1" too. Is he really 6'? Can we argue that "We wouldn't want any Dan Dickaus to be at Gonzaga either."

sonuvazag
10-02-2012, 12:21 PM
He was definitely taller than me but I can't find any stat sheet that has him listed a 6' even. Even his rookie card and kelloggs college card have him listed as 6'1".

There must be a taboo about being 6' or under.

Sorry Vanzagger, I tried.

Dickau is listed as 6'1" too. Is he really 6'? Can we argue that "We wouldn't want any Dan Dickaus to be at Gonzaga either."
I just happen to remember John Stockton "growing" an inch between college and NBA. Suddenly he was 6'1" after being listed as 6'0" in college.