Mods: Feel free to move to Old Dogs

Thought this was interesting:

4 Zags ranked:

#245-Austin Daye
    #316-Ronny Turiaf
    #413-Jeremy Pargo
    #491-Robert Sacre

Some other WCC players mentioned including Diamon Simpson and Patty Mills

Didn't see Adam unless he is one of the Top 5 they haven't revealed yet :-)

Go Zags!

ZZ
  • B Wayne
    Kennel Club
    • Nov 2007

Makes you think

Gonzaga dooesn't have a player cracking the current top 200, and to think John Stockton is in the top 50 greatest NBA players of all time!

Yet I have heard debates prior to Morrison among our fan community about the greatest Zag player of all time, including an analyst whose last name rhymes with shyster, picking someone other than John Stockton.

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Good to see 4 Zags active in the NBA currently.

Between the other guys that have been invited to camps...there may be at least one more added before the season starts.

Comment

• webspinnre
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by B Wayne View Post
        Gonzaga dooesn't have a player cracking the current top 200, and to think John Stockton is in the top 50 greatest NBA players of all time!

Yet I have heard debates prior to Morrison among our fan community about the greatest Zag player of all time, including an analyst whose last name rhymes with shyster, picking someone other than John Stockton.
        There's a difference between greatest player as a Zag and greatest NBA player who attended Gonzaga.
        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• B Wayne
          Kennel Club
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
          There's a difference between greatest player as a Zag and greatest NBA player who attended Gonzaga.
          And John Stockton is both. But people in the Gonzaga community, even before Morrison, were arguing that Steppe, Turiaf, Dikau, Calvary or Santangelo were the greatest Zags ever. The myth is that Stockton wasn't as good as those I just named as a Zag, but just suddenly exploded in his skill set once he got in the NBA. Those that say this typically fall in 2 categories: 1) Those that never saw John Stockton play at Gonzaga (too young or didn't jump on the band wagon until the late 90s) and 2) Saw him play at Gonzaga, didn't recognize how good he really was at that time (trust me there were alot of these people).

This myth falls flat on its face in several ways. First, if he wasn't as skilled as those name above, why was he drafted 16th overall in the NBA draft, granted a steal at that, but still before any of the above named. Second, talk to someone who knows basketball ( a knowledgable local or NBA scout) and they will tell you how good he was. Third, this is not like some kid who suddenly grew to 7 feet, or a big kid who finally got coordinated. He was in the NBA who he was in college. Yes , he improved every year, but sorry, he was tough as nails while he played here. It's just a myth put out by those who missed out on his great career here to say he wasn't as good as some of those named above. Talk to someone who knows basketball and saw him play here. Not Greg Heister

Comment

• webspinnre
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Look, I'm not old enough to have seen him play at GU, and I wouldn't make the argument about any of the guys you just mentioned. However, I think that Ammo at least belongs in the discussion. We're talking about a guy who was a national player of the year and 3rd overall pick. I'm not saying he was a better collegiate player than Stockton, but if we're going to have the discussion, he needs to be included. Based on the little GU history I know, Burgess should probably be in the discussion as well. I'd have to think that the 3 of them should be the top 3, in some order.
            I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• SweetOnionZag
              Kennel Club Material
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by B Wayne View Post
              And John Stockton is both. But people in the Gonzaga community, even before Morrison, were arguing that Steppe, Turiaf, Dikau, Calvary or Santangelo were the greatest Zags ever. The myth is that Stockton wasn't as good as those I just named as a Zag, but just suddenly exploded in his skill set once he got in the NBA. Those that say this typically fall in 2 categories: 1) Those that never saw John Stockton play at Gonzaga (too young or didn't jump on the band wagon until the late 90s) and 2) Saw him play at Gonzaga, didn't recognize how good he really was at that time (trust me there were alot of these people).

This myth falls flat on its face in several ways. First, if he wasn't as skilled as those name above, why was he drafted 16th overall in the NBA draft, granted a steal at that, but still before any of the above named. Second, talk to someone who knows basketball ( a knowledgable local or NBA scout) and they will tell you how good he was. Third, this is not like some kid who suddenly grew to 7 feet, or a big kid who finally got coordinated. He was in the NBA who he was in college. Yes , he improved every year, but sorry, he was tough as nails while he played here. It's just a myth put out by those who missed out on his great career here to say he wasn't as good as some of those named above. Talk to someone who knows basketball and saw him play here. Not Greg Heister
              RIGHT ON BEEDUB!!!..........The bandwagon wasn't even going then.....

Comment

• willandi
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

Saw this some time ago, at least Rob's ranking, and thought that he played a lot better than many others in the summer league. I know that he is jacked to have gotten drafted by the Lakers, even though he was the last one chosen, and has gotten an invite to training camp. It still seems to dis-respect what he did JUST IN THE SUMMER LEAGUE! Not to mention how he played against a number of much higher draft picks (Sullinger comes to mind). It's my guess that the ones doing the ranking didn't really watch him play much, not because of an East Coast bias, but because they live 3 time zones to the east, and can't stay up that late! LOL
                Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Look, I'm not old enough to have seen him play at GU, and I wouldn't make the argument about any of the guys you just mentioned. However, I think that Ammo at least belongs in the discussion. We're talking about a guy who was a national player of the year and 3rd overall pick. I'm not saying he was a better collegiate player than Stockton, but if we're going to have the discussion, he needs to be included. Based on the little GU history I know, Burgess should probably be in the discussion as well. I'd have to think that the 3 of them should be the top 3, in some order.
                  True enough.

Comment

• SweetOnionZag
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Oct 2007

OK,OK............Morrison.............I said it....does that put him the discussion?

Comment

• B Wayne
                      Kennel Club
                      • Nov 2007

I was referring to discussions before Morrison . Morrison and Burgess belong on the short list of greatest Zags "as a Zag", along with Stockton. But many Gonzaga fans and Heister have named others mentioned in my previous post as the greatest Zag.

Comment

Working...
                      X