PDA

View Full Version : Micah to the Celtics for training camp

ZagNative
09-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Per SSF (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/9/20/3364532/micah-downs-to-attend-celtics-training-camp?login=1348172054), Micah's signed with the Celtics for training camp. Good Luck, Micah

zag buddy
09-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Way to go Micah. Make the most of it. He was allways one of my favorite players and I have been disappointed that I have not seen him around here during summers.

sittingon50
09-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Good Luck, MD.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Awesome. Boston's a three-hour drive from my house. I would love to catch one of his games.

ZAGGED OUT
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Always been one of my favorite Zags, the dunk-offs between him and Pargo were always epic.

Oregonzagnut
09-20-2012, 01:10 PM
faster, stronger and better.

Micah seems to have filled out in the last few years. Still lanky but he has more shoulders and it wouldn't surprise me if he makes the Celtic Roster.

Go Ammo, Sacre, Micah, Pargo, Turiaf, Daye and Gray!!

How awesome to have 7 guys in the NBA this season!

MDABE80
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
THIS is a great piece of news. He's got the physical talent. Let's hope they like his game. He really didn't have an opportunity to show much in the summer league. Celts always find the gems. Hope Micah sticks:)

Mr Vulture
09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
I think these guys have put themselves in good positions to make the teams they were invited to. I don't have great insight into the NBA really but I think that Ammo, Turiaf, Pargo, Daye, and Sacre are all highly likely to be in the NBA this year. I also wouldn't be shocked if Downs can carve out a spot on the Celtics roster. Steven Gray has an NBA game IMO but it will depend on the depth of the team he signed with. Anyone know who he signed with?

BroncoZAG615
09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
I think these guys have put themselves in good positions to make the teams they were invited to. I don't have great insight into the NBA really but I think that Ammo, Turiaf, Pargo, Daye, and Sacre are all highly likely to be in the NBA this year. I also wouldn't be shocked if Downs can carve out a spot on the Celtics roster. Steven Gray has an NBA game IMO but it will depend on the depth of the team he signed with. Anyone know who he signed with?

Gray is with the Wizards at this time. Truth be told, it is a long, long shot for Micah and Steven to make a roster. Jeremy, Rob, and Adam have some work to do but the rosters they are on set up well for them to make their respective teams.

JPtheBeasta
09-20-2012, 02:21 PM
A highlight dunk or two from his recent "Euroleague adventures"...

http://euroleagueadventures.com/is-micah-downs-the-best-dunker-in-spain/

JPtheBeasta
09-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Gray is with the Wizards at this time. Truth be told, it is a long, long shot for Micah and Steven to make a roster. Jeremy, Rob, and Adam have some work to do but the rosters they are on set up well for them to make their respective teams.

I always though Adam would be a good guy to spell Paul Pierce off of the bench for the Celtics- both play the 3, are good one-on-one scorers, can score in bunches, have/had awesome staches, and haven't been accused of being the greatest defensive players (although Pierce has gotten some notice for D since Garnett got there)

Johnnygu
09-20-2012, 03:33 PM
faster, stronger and better.

Micah seems to have filled out in the last few years. Still lanky but he has more shoulders and it wouldn't surprise me if he makes the Celtic Roster.

Go Ammo, Sacre, Micah, Pargo, (heytvelt), Daye and Gray/(bouldin)!!How awesome to have 7 guys in the NBA this season!

Hard to believe we didn't make a deeper run with this starting five:doh:

Anybody else puzzled by that extremely talented roster?

CaliforniaZaggin'
09-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Micah's game sounds like one of an NBA player. Tall. Lanky. Athletic. High flyer. Sweet stroke from 3. If Gerald Green can find a way to play 6+ seasons in the NBA, then it stands to reason that Micah could find a spot on a roster for at least 1 season.

BroncoZAG615
09-20-2012, 03:57 PM

Not puzzled at all. They would have gone much deeper except they played one of the most stacked teams in recent memory. That year Carolina had:

Hansbrough
Danny Green
Ty Lawson
Deon Thompson
Wayne Ellington
Ed Davis

It was an incredible, incredible team.

bigblahla
09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Not puzzled at all. They would have gone much deeper except they played one of the most stacked teams in recent memory. That year Carolina had:

Hansbrough
Danny Green
Ty Lawson
Deon Thompson
Wayne Ellington
Ed Davis

It was an incredible, incredible team.

Have to agree. I think most here believe had we not run up against UNC in the sweet 16 the team would have gone deeper.

Good Luck to Micah hope he sticks.

Go!! Zags!!!

CaliforniaZaggin'
09-20-2012, 04:43 PM
How'd the 2008-09 Zags ever lose to Portland State in K2??

SteelZag
09-20-2012, 04:45 PM
That, and Heytvelt, Daye and Downs all played out of position way too much.

gu03alum
09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Celtics blog picked up the story celticblog twitter (https://twitter.com/celticsblog/status/248972118946091008)

Johnnygu
09-20-2012, 10:35 PM
That, and Heytvelt, Daye and Downs all played out of position way too much.

This is more along the lines of my thoughts, 2009 is fascinating to me. There will never be a Gonzaga team as talented AND dysfunctional at the same time. North Carolina had their usual burger boys, but most loyal Gonzaga fans (and some nervous UNC fans I recall) truly believed we had similar talent that year. Sometimes I have my rose colored glasses on for the Zags, but three years removed, I still think we had the talent. We should have performed better during the season and earned a better seed. The wierd losses during the season like Portland St, a mediocre utah team, and being blown out by Memphis on Gameday we're all foreshadowing moments. In the end, our performance throughout that season as a team reflected the inconsistent performance of our key players of that team-Heytvelt, Pargo, Downs.

North Carolina being talented is no excuse for that game not being a game...it will always be head scratcher for me in many ways, but I guess fitting because of our team chemistry that year.

Oregonzagnut
09-21-2012, 01:02 AM

Yes but we lost to UNC that year. A buzz-saw. UNC like os many other teams to knock us out end up going to the final game.

This is our year. We need that top 3 seed this time.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-21-2012, 05:07 AM
The 2009 group had enough raw talent to be a Top-5 team, but never seemed to have the kind of great chemistry that some of the best Zags teams have had. That team would not have surprised me if they had reached the Final Four but they would not have surprised me if they had fallen in the first round of the tournament.

Johnnygu
09-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Yes but we lost to UNC that year. A buzz-saw. UNC like os many other teams to knock us out end up going to the final game.

This is our year. We need that top 3 seed this time.

I agree. Start by getting a 1 or 2 seed, then see how far we go.

JPtheBeasta
09-21-2012, 08:40 AM
This is more along the lines of my thoughts, 2009 is fascinating to me. There will never be a Gonzaga team as talented AND dysfunctional at the same time.

That is always a concern, because there can be a correlation there. In those coach surveys that were posted here a month or so a go, one of the coaches said he would rather have less success with a guy like Ohio State's PG Craft than to have a high recruit take him to a National Championship because of all of the headaches these guys can cause (I'm guessing because of the entightlement). It is another area to commend Few for- he has had some great players with strong personalities but still had a lot of chemistry throughout the years

Vanzagger
09-21-2012, 11:17 AM
one might consider our revolving door at pg to be a liability. Few has picked a few young points to lead the team and then after a year or two of starting, gone or on the bench.

It would be refreshing this year if he picks a starting 5 and a few ringers for subs and sticks with it.

Of course that would give us less things to debate here....but I'll take that.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Any updates on Micah Downs? I've been following the Boston press for the last week and seen absolutely nothing about him. I am concerned that the Celtics signed Darko Milicic to fill out the front court depth. I'm not sure if Micah would be competing with Milicic for a roster spot.

http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/09/21/celtics-bring-former-lottery-pick-darko-milicic/tN9OlQwRx3XoO6B6jS8uYO/story.html

U Zig, I Zag
09-25-2012, 07:14 AM
How'd the 2008-09 Zags ever lose to Portland State in K2??

I was at that game with a raging fever. The whole thing seemed surreal and confusing. When I woke the next day I went online and it really happened. I was so out of it I thought that I dreamed it. Wish I had.

Ezag
09-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Any updates on Micah Downs? I've been following the Boston press for the last week and seen absolutely nothing about him. I am concerned that the Celtics signed Darko Milicic to fill out the front court depth. I'm not sure if Micah would be competing with Milicic for a roster spot.

http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/09/21/celtics-bring-former-lottery-pick-darko-milicic/tN9OlQwRx3XoO6B6jS8uYO/story.html

How darko is still in the league is mind-boggling!

Oregonzagnut
09-25-2012, 11:35 AM
How darko is still in the league is mind-boggling!

Ammo gets a major season ending injury on a cheap shot hit and is considered bust, but guys like Milicic although considered a bust too, are still given chances to score 3 pts a game. Downs would be far more productive IMO. but then again, I am not there.

Solid defensive skills seem to be the defining factor on NBA success or not.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-28-2012, 05:16 AM
There is no mention of Micah Downs in this article about the start of Celtics training camp. The article mentions a lot of new faces, but his is not one of them.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?&articleid=1061163626&format=&page=1&listingType=celt#articleFull

He's also not showing up among the fifteen players on the team roster as listed on the organization's website.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/roster/2012

Anybody know if he is still affiliated with the team?

bigblahla
10-01-2012, 08:26 AM
There is no mention of Micah Downs in this article about the start of Celtics training camp. The article mentions a lot of new faces, but his is not one of them.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?&articleid=1061163626&format=&page=1&listingType=celt#articleFull

He's also not showing up among the fifteen players on the team roster as listed on the organization's website.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/roster/2012

Anybody know if he is still affiliated with the team?

As of 9/28 Micah signed to a non-guaranteed contract.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/9/28/3423510/celtics-officially-sign-darko-milicic-micah-downs-and-rob-kurz

Go!! Zags!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-01-2012, 10:29 AM
As of 9/28 Micah signed to a non-guaranteed contract.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/9/28/3423510/celtics-officially-sign-darko-milicic-micah-downs-and-rob-kurz

Go!! Zags!!!

Interesting blurb about Downs potentially playing for the Maine Red Claws. That is Boston's D-League affiliate.

ID ZAGFAN
10-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Micah had 2 rebounds, 1 block, 0 points in 4:27. Anounncers complimented his hustle and getting his hands on the ball.

ZaGranny