PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Basketball Tipoff Luncheon

Angelo Roncalli
09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
The annual Seattle Chapter of the Alumni Association basketball tipoff luncheon has been tentatively set for Friday, September 28 at FX McRory's at 12:00 noon. The guest speaker will be MBB assistant coach Tommy Lloyd. Further details will follow on how to register.

Zag365
09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
The annual Seattle Chapter of the Alumni Association basketball tipoff luncheon has been tentatively set for Friday, September 28 at FX McRory's at 12:00 noon. The guest speaker will be MBB assistant coach Tommy Lloyd. Further details will follow on how to register.

Are you really allowed to say all this? I thought you were supposed to say, "A future event may (or may not) be held at an undisclosed location in an unnamed city at time when certain people may (or may not) gather to hear something about something. Please read this message, then delete."

TerpZag
09-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Angelo, thanks for the heads up. Tommy Lloyd should provide an interesting prospective.

GoZags
09-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Are you really allowed to say all this? I thought you were supposed to say, "A future event may (or may not) be held at an undisclosed location in an unnamed city at time when certain people may (or may not) gather to hear something about something. Please read this message, then delete."

You have two weeks notice to make it, and hear what's said. As does everyone else who has read the Pontiff's notice.

tyra
09-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Anyone know when or if there is a Tacoma event scheduled? I seem to get the notices intermittently.

ZagNut08
09-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Haha this was my first thought when I saw the title of the thread.

gamagin
09-16-2012, 09:20 AM

omerta

75Zag
09-17-2012, 04:46 AM
Strange how things work out (wink wink). I just discovered that I have a business meeting in Seattle on the morning of the 28th. If somebody can provide registration information for the Seattle event I would appreciate it.

Do I have to wear a suit or a tie?

Go Bulldogs! Elite 8 or Die!

sullyzag66
09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Strange how things work out (wink wink). I just discovered that I have a business meeting in Seattle on the morning of the 28th. If somebody can provide registration information for the Seattle event I would appreciate it.

Do I have to wear a suit or a tie?

A suit and tie to a business meeting?

zag67
09-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Sully, I hope not on the sport coat and tie. I have not warn those since I retired about 5 years ago.

TerpZag
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Seattle Alumni Chapter: Men's Basketball Tip-off Luncheon with Tommy Lloyd

Scheduled for: Friday, September 28, 2012 from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM at F.X. McRory's.

RSVP Deadline: September 27, 2012 Link (http://www.zagsonline.org/s/829/index.aspx?sid=829&gid=1&pgid=2744&cid=5229&ecid=5229&ciid=21277&crid=0)

229SintoZag
09-18-2012, 08:47 AM
looking forward to it. Had to miss last year's.

cjm720
09-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Dang, I have training that day...might have to go to the Tacoma dinner with Krause. These events are really great and timed well.

GoZags
09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
looking forward to it. Had to miss last year's.

Sorry I'll miss you, 229. I'll be in Chicago (walking Medinah -- it's the opening day of the '12 Ryder Cup matches).

Go Team USA.

229SintoZag
09-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry I'll miss you, 229. I'll be in Chicago (walking Medinah -- it's the opening day of the '12 Ryder Cup matches).

Go Team USA.

Good excuse to be absent, anyway. Please do send reports. Pontiff and I will hold down the fort at FX in your absence.

zag67
09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
I think that you need to be at the Luncheon. I will sacrifice and take the ticket off your hands and let you get the latest info at the luncheon. See how nice I am..........

UberZagFan
09-18-2012, 09:04 PM

This thread will self-destruct in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .

Zagineer
09-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Signed up, payed for, and scheduled on my Outlook calendar. I hope a crisis doesn't develop at work to mess things up.

jbslicer
09-19-2012, 07:58 AM
GoZags walking Medinah? I thought a big shot like you would be riding in a cart with MJ and puffing on a stogie.
Heckle Sergio for me.
USA! USA! USA!

sittingon50
09-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Cmon jb, Sergio is cool.

zagdad
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
cjm 720. I'm out of town as well. What are the details on Tacoma dinner with Coach Krause?

jbslicer
09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Sergio is a gamer in match play. Monty is the one to heckle but he isn't on the team. Monty is the ultimate gamer in the Ryder Cup. He's always found a way to get a point or two.

75Zag
09-19-2012, 04:22 PM
All signed up. Would it be ok if I am bringing Coach Romar as my "date".

Go Bulldogs! Elite 8 or die!

mtzaga
09-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Cmon jb, Sergio is cool.

Spitting into the cup and breaking the tee box microphone were both cool moves by Sergio.

GoZags
09-20-2012, 06:57 AM
GoZags walking Medinah? I thought a big shot like you would be riding in a cart with MJ and puffing on a stogie.
Heckle Sergio for me.
USA! USA! USA!

Nope.

My buddy (who splits his time between the PGA Tour, the Champions Tour and the Web.com Tour) will be in North Carolina next week at the "Chiquita Classic".

I only get to ride around in a cart when he and I are at the same event.

USA! USA! USA!

TerpZag
09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Bump...

Still time to make arrangements to attend.

75Zag
09-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Never been to the Seattle lunch before. What is the drill? Arrive early for best seating? On the very, very unlikely chance I will want to consume alcohol at lunch, do I get a drink from the bar before I sit down? Will there be table service to order drinks? Can I put my bar tab on my company credit card (sounds like a tax deductible business event to me) or do I need to bring cash? Will people be auctioning interesting stuff off (like GU tickets) and if so, again do I need to bring cash or will a card suffice?

I feel like a 15 year old girl about to attend her first senior prom. And my mom even told me not to let the Alumni Association representatives get me into the back seat of their car, because I don't want to get the reputation of being "easy" to those fundraising hussies.

cjm720
09-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Get there a bit early, buy some drinks, and definitely a tax deduction. I'm going to try to make it.

75Zag
09-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks to the participants and organizers on the Seattle lunch. It was interesting to hear Coach Lloyd's perspective and to talk to some fellow Bulldog fans. I wish there was a way to get a similar event in Portland.

MDABE80
09-29-2012, 10:50 AM
What happened???

75Zag
09-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I am the worst stenographer in the world, especially after 4 tasty pints of some sort of local Seattle IPA, but:

1. Coach Lloyd said he didn't care whether his comments were repeated on the blogs because he was too smart to say anything he didn't want made public.

2. GU coaching staff is dedicated to winning the conference and some games in the NCAA. Those who "demand" Elite 8 or Final 4 type results are "getting their heads out too far over the tips of their skis" (his exact words).

3. Fans who get wrapped up in recruiting are wasting their time - there is a gross lack of accurate useful information and way too much false information on the blogs and net. Coach Lloyd encouraged fans to enjoy the players we have, and not get distracted by recruiting rumors, etc.

4. Coach Lloyd gave a bit of information about each player - mostly positive stuff but he also acknowledged certain players have limitations and discussed how the staff can address those limitations.

5. Coach Lloyd is leaving for Europe tomorrow to go find some more good players (and to relax).

There was some other stuff - one or two items I am intentionally omitting - but all things considered it was a very pleasant way to spend a lunch hour and a half in Seattle.

And the beer was good too.

Go Bulldogs!

Zag365
09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I guess that about 75 attendees (someone said this was second highest after inaugural luncheon featuring Mark Few seven or so years ago). Coach Lloyd had some introductory remarks about goals of program, recruiting, and overall support for program from admin to fans. He then did a short commentary on each player. Nothing specific about playing time, offense or defense issues/approaches. Took a half-dozen questions.

Since there are no notes/minutes/recordings, I will state my impressions (I don't want to say I'm quoting Coach Lloyd because there was a lot of info and I may have heard it differently than others or as he intended).

Here are my main impressions/take-aways:

1. First, no big surprises to anyone who follows the program year-round like GUB members.
2. He was all smiles and lighthearted. No disclaimers about need to temper expectations. Indicated that we are set to be a better offensive club than past couple of seasons. Good shooters. Believes we've got several guys (GBJ, Dower, etc.) who are going to have 20 pt. performances on certain nights and are encouraging them not to be too selfless when hot. Projected lots of confidence about this team. Probably due to so many known players returning to line-up.
3. GLE had injury issues last season (in addition to delays in transitioning in); he's healthy now. Dower is returning to form after month-long recovery from injury in July. No other health issues.
4. Karnowski is excited to be at GU and easily fits in. As advertised, has soft-hands, good passing skills, can run the court in transition, and should be ready to play minutes from the get go. Even suggested that he's so developed that he may only be around for a couple years.
5. KO, as we suspected, benefited from RS year and has worked on interior offense/defense. Continues to be a great passer. Excellent teammate.
6. No hint of any "issues" with any of the guys. Sounds like they are really tight and enthusiastic. Although Coach Lloyd didn't say this, I inferred from his player comments that this team is going to really pass the ball quickly and accurately, which should open the floor for shooters, which we seem to have a lot of on this team.
7. Really excited that E is back for senior year. Would have been drafted last year, maybe first round. Pointed out that E's stats (sometimes overlooked) for scoring and rebounding will have/put him in top 5 all-time at GU. Says E is really loyal to the program.
8. Don't mean to leave anyone out, but this is getting really long. Big, big confidence in Pangos at the point. Effusive about his work ethic and development. Ditto for Stockton. Ditto for Hart. Implied that newcomers Barham and RS Dranginis are equal to/greater than any shooting skill lost by MM departure, but are a step up in overall court presence, including defense.

I left feeling that everything discussed on this Board about 2012-13 looking really good and that national press hasn't caught on is true. Can't say I know enough about our opponents yet to predict W/Ls but if this team gels early and we don't have any freak injuries or the like, I think we're not just looking at retaking the WCC crown but a high seed in the tourney.

ZagNative
09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Excellent report, 365! Thanks so much!

I'm excited!

MDABE80
09-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Good JOB 365. Very well done. We're on the court in 2 weeks...although I suspect those kids are already at it in earnest.
I was over on campus and talke to some of the kids. They are really jacked! me too.

JPtheBeasta
09-29-2012, 12:52 PM

I missed the above the first time I read this thread. Good stuff. Too funny.

Thanks to those that reported on the meeting and helping this Zags ball information junky get his fix. I can't wait for the season to start. I am really anticipating seeing Dranginis play- from what little I have seen of him in highschool and everything I read from Tommy, Pangos, and posters here make me think he will have a big impact this year. It's great to see how well Karnowski is fitting in (from Twitter and such) and how high the staff is on him. If he does end up a 2-and-done he will end up being a coup for the staff, and all the folks dissing on recruiting should turn it down a notch or two, IMO. If Tommy's comments on recruiting and fan expectations were part of his presentation and not a result of Q&A, it makes me believe he must read the boards- I also think he must chuckle at some of the angst around here.

75Zag
09-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Others who were there, feel free to correct me if I misunderstood, but I heard Coach Lloyd say that he does read the boards, that he occassionally discusses the contents of some posts with Angello R, and he thanked Angello for working to delete or correct some of the more outrageously wrong posts here, particularly where a false post might harm GU's team or players or recruiting efforts.

Go Bulldogs!

JPtheBeasta
09-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Others who were there, feel free to correct me if I misunderstood, but I heard Coach Lloyd say that he does read the boards, that he occassionally discusses the contents of some posts with Angello R, and he thanked Angello for working to delete or correct some of the more outrageously wrong posts here, particularly where a false post might harm GU's team or players or recruiting efforts.
Go Bulldogs!

Although some would call it censorship around here, things we say aren't said in a vacuum and I don't mind at all when the craziness and the crazies get expunged, especially considering (as far as I understand it) those that use the board are viewed by the NCAA to be affiliates in a booster-like sense of the program. There is an obligation to police the board in this case, and I appreciate all the work the mods do around here.

Zag365
09-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Go Bulldogs!

I heard the same message. He brought it up himself and also mentioned the desire fans have for a FF. I took it that he was trying to show that he is his well-aware that a number of Board participants have repeatedly expressed lots of interest, anxiety, impatience, and opinions about these subjects. He essentially said, "don't worry we want the same things as you guys. We're all on the same page." But, he reminded everyone that college basketball is an extremely competitive business at the level Gonzaga is playing at, that little things here and there that can't be controlled decide tournament games (he mentioned two shots that rimmed out at the end of the Ohio State game) , and that success is measured by winning the conference and putting the players/team in the best position to advance as far as they can in the tourney.

It sounded to me like he looks at this Board and other sites from time-to-time, thinks that they are full of misinformation and speculation about actual recruiting situations, and, as 75 says, appreciates that the GUB mods are willing to correct/take down misinformation that is harmful especially since other schools have message boards that are intentionally hostile and adversarial to the programs at their schools.

gamagin
09-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Excellent report, 365! Thanks so much! I'm excited!

thanks 365 !!

MDABE80
09-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Every board has crazy people. Angelo, BZ and the other do us a great service. I'd like to salute them on this issue. I'm surprised more folks aren't sent to the showers or more messages aren't deleted.

Zagdawg
09-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Good to see some of the attendees with the Elite 8 or death auto signature got a fresh dose of perspective ;)

VaBeachZAG
09-30-2012, 05:32 AM
365's post above about Lloyd stating that E is really loyal to the program immediately made me think of Ronny Turiaf. Of course almost all players (past and present) are also loyal, but these two went way above and beyond in demonstrating their loyalty by staying with the team when they could have jumped ship early for big, big bucks. I am really hoping for a huge year for E and for great things to follow in the years after GU.

Reborn
09-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the good reporting guys. And both reports were different which I liked. I'm a very proud member of this board, and have been for along time. I like it just the way it is. I appreciate the prudence and wisdom of the Administrators and Moderators, and I appreciate how they have allowed this board to show the true diversity of our fan base, and yet they do the hard work of trying to maintain the positive light shining out to the outside world. I do believe that this board represents GU pretty well. Thanks to ALL who participate here, in the many different ways that we do.

I think we're all ready for the season to begin. I know I am. I'm ready for that wonderful journey from November to March, and all the ups and downs that we encounter along the way. Like every season, this will also be a special season, and I can hardly wait to see all the things that will make it special: all the great plays that will be made by special players that we all love. Each season is like a special photo album.

I thought the report on Guy-Landry was special. I have always felt that we will see a different player this year. I also liked what was said about Elias. He's going to be really, really good this year I think. I'm looking forward to his leadership.

NotoriousZ
09-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Excellent report, 365! Thanks so much!

I'm excited!

+1! Pass, pass, pass, dunk! Pass, pass, pass, THREEEEEEE!!!

Skilled players with a work ethic.

Reborn
09-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Did I hear, "better passing?" Music to my ears.
Did I hear, something about an improved Kevin Pangos. Wow!
Did I hear that PK can run the floor. I almost fainted until I saw those pictures of him on another thread.
Did I hear a warning to us to not expect PK to be around for more than two years. OMG, and that he's ready to contribute right now. I'm excited.
Did I hear Loyd say that Harris could have went in the first round last year. I know Elias is going to be great this year.
Did I hear "better outside shooting?" Music to my ears.
Did I get the impression that Guy-Landry is going to be better this year. Wow!!!

This team sounds better than last years. Any maybe they're more than just a little bit better. What really gets me excited from reading these reports is how excited the players are about this upcoming season. Go Zags!!!

Zag365
09-30-2012, 06:20 PM
75 (or anyone else who was there) correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Coach Lloyd said that "the players" had voted to put names on the back of the jerseys this year. He said it with rolling eyes and the tone of parent explaining that his kid decided to get a body-piercing.

zag67
09-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Reborn, (and others correct me if I am wrong), he did say that PK may be gone after 2 years, but not to expect him to hit the floor running during the first few games this year. He has so much to learn about "terms" for the offense and defense, that he even sits down and they write them all down so that he can practice them. Therefore, I am not sure that we will see the "true" PK until later in the year. Yes, I think we will see great "minutes" but we will also see some that we say "yuk". He has alot to learn from language to playing a new system.

mobetta
09-30-2012, 07:46 PM
I asked Tommy if PK will stay four years. Tommy said that he'd be shocked if PK left after one and that he thought it would be two or more. He didn't warn that PK might leave after two.

Here are few more tidbits that I remember:

Gary Bell has gotten suggestions that he needs to be a point guard to make it at the next level, but Gary may not want to make those kind of changes to his game, he likes his role from last year. Kevin Pangos on the other hand wants to be a point guard and is just a completely natural leader.

Elias could have been a second round pick last year, but has high loyalty to the Zag program and if he has the year we all hope for, he could go in the first round next year. What they want from Elias is what they got during the later part of last year. They are hoping that he can give that level of effort all year this year.

Kelly made tremendous improvements in his body, his play and his understanding of the game during his redshirt year. It was a very good decision.

PK is a very big man and he has very high level of basketball skill and IQ. Tommy did discuss the language issues, but I didn't get the impression they will be issues very long, just an interesting thing that had to be taken care of. PK understands the importance of communication and is all over removing that issue.

Guy Landry Edi is going to be much improved over last year when he had both an injury and a suspension. He credited his shooting, his athleticism and his knowledge of the Zag system.

Sam has a knack for shooting in which the ball just goes in, even if it has to bounce around the rim three times before it does. Tommy laughingly took credit for teaching that to Sam.

David Stockton just knows how to the right thing and they expect him to continue to do so.

Mike Hart has the last name he has for a reason.

Gerard Coleman brings an ability to slither between defenders that the Zags just do not have. He needs to work on his shooting.

Barham doesn't need to work on his shooting. (Of course, not really, everyone needs to work on their shooting.)

Tommy is a class act!

zag67
10-01-2012, 05:39 AM
Mobetta, Great post.

Tommy also said that he is looking forward to the practice game against Texas so that they can see how they stand up to really god competition. Even though we do not hear much about this scrimmage, I think that it is great for both programs.

Also I am glad that I do not have Tommy's travel schedule for the next week or so. All over Europe and only spending one or two days per place.

Go ZAGS.

DixieZag
10-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Mobetta, Great post.

Tommy also said that he is looking forward to the practice game against Texas so that they can see how they stand up to really god competition. Even though we do not hear much about this scrimmage, I think that it is great for both programs.

Also I am glad that I do not have Tommy's travel schedule for the next week or so. All over Europe and only spending one or two days per place.

Go ZAGS.

I hope and trust that Loyd has been well "taken care of" by the University - his recruiting contribution over the last 5 years has been a critical aspect of the overall talent level and his contacts/skills would not be easily replaced.

Thanks for all who have risked their lives and shared such "highly classified" information. The enthusiasm for the up coming season rings through.

hooter73
10-01-2012, 08:38 AM
someone remind me, did we do the scrimmage with Texas last year? For some reason Im thinking we didnt. That is such a huge opportunity for the guys individually and as a team considering our out of conference schedule and how we jump into major games right away.

BoZarth
10-01-2012, 08:45 AM
First of all, I enjoyed the lunch and recommend it to all who can attend.

One of the biggest takeaways is regarding recruiting. This needs to be shared to all who read this board.

Tommy indicated we should'nt get all wrapped up in what we read here. We have no idea. No idea what is going on with recruiting. For example, he'll go watch prospects and a kid will then say GU has offered and Tommy never spoke to him.

What I took away is to trust the staff. They are working as hard as we would want and expect and doing everything they can to put the best possible team on the court. It's a competitve landscape.

We are damn lucky my friends.

Go Zags!!!!

TacomaZAG
10-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Didn't see the earlier question answered in this thread.

The Tacoma dinner with Coach Krause is November 1st, at 6:00 PM, at the Tacoma Yacht Club (same venue as last year).

Sounds like the Seattle luncheon with Tommy was great. Coach Krause always does a great job as well, getting us fans on the west side jacked up about the guys and the unpcoming season.

Go ZAGS

Angelo Roncalli
10-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks to all who attended.

Our goal is greatly expand next year's event. We hope to have a turnout of over 500.

"if my father was a lying, cheating coward, and his father was a lying, cheating coward, and his father was a lying cheating coward....that would make me....a husky."

CDC84
10-01-2012, 11:01 AM
For example, he'll go watch prospects and a kid will then say GU has offered and Tommy never spoke to him.

This has happened on many occasions. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of the kids who have claimed a Gonzaga offer in the past 10 years actually never received one. This includes kids who have visited GU.

KStyles
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
someone remind me, did we do the scrimmage with Texas last year?

Yep.

75Zag
10-01-2012, 01:25 PM
If any of the gurus know who "the deal" could help arrange a coach's lunch in Portland next fall, I would be happy to help as a local organizer and maybe my employer would throw in a few sponsorship dollars. No need to further pollute the thread, but if you have ideas, please PM me.

Go Bulldogs!

Also, since I am thowing myself out there as easy pickings for Alumni Association folks, can anybody help me reconnect with the Portland Alumni group? I did my bits helping fix up local catholic school playgrounds and other fun stuff, etc. as a volunteer with the Portand group, but for some reason the local group appears to have dropped me from their mailing list. Perhaps they (reasonably) determined that my preferred combination of tequilla and Saturday morning grade school repairs were not a good mix, but assuming that is not the case, thanks to anyone who can help me reconnect.

Thanks

Worthington
10-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Gary Bell has gotten suggestions that he needs to be a point guard to make it at the next level, but Gary may not want to make those kind of changes to his game, he likes his role from last year.

I find this interesting. Gary at the 2 is definitely best for the good of the team, but I would agree that for the next level he's going to have to show he can play some point. Glad he's going with the flow though.

Oregonzagnut
10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I find this interesting. Gary at the 2 is definitely best for the good of the team, but I would agree that for the next level he's going to have to show he can play some point. Glad he's going with the flow though.

I agree, but IMO, this years team needs to focus on defining the starting rotation and bench rotation, ASAP. Also IMO, it is important to focus on winning each game rather than focussing on experimentation to make our guys more versatile. If Bell is going to get PG minutes, then that should be simultaneously done with Pangos getting SG minutes. That way, we get maximum familiarity and chemistry with our back court and not risk inefficiency and TO's.

For me, I see our biggest problem was losing momentum by fixing things that weren't borken, especially when we were up by over 10 pts with 12 minutes left to play. We always seem to lose momentum and teams seemed to get back in it when Few tried to change up. I hope Few learns to keep the fire going and don't fix things when we are ahead by 10. He needs to feel like it is OK to win by 20.