• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Graham Woodward from Minnesota

Now this 6' PG (2013) is a newcomer I'd feel great about getting, if he chooses GU. With a redshirt year or not, he'd do well behind the current PGs and emerge as a very nice replacement in a long legacy of Zag PGs.

He's #3--

Highlights of 6-foot point guard Graham Woodward. Woodward is in the class of 2013 and had an excellent summer leading MN Pump N Run. You can view his player...

Thanks to SSF for the heads up on Few & Staff going to visit this kid. I can see a little bit of Dickau, Raivio and Pangos in him.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Thanks Bob. I really enjoyed watching the videos. Wow!! (im only using two exclamation points here just to throw some of you off, hahaha). This kid is strong in every aspect of the game (although the videos do not show his defensive skills). He gets an A from me in his ball handling, passing, and shooting skills. He shows us the importance of ball handling in destroying double-teaming, and switching defenses. I think that the skill of ballhandling is too often forgotten (I think that that's where he reminds me of Raivio). His shot reminds me of Kevin Pangos'. Like Kevin, Woodward can score from just about any place on the court. And his runner in the lane reminds me of one of my favorite GU guards, Matt Santangilo. I love Woodwards runner. Kevin has it too, but (imo) it is not as accurate as Woodward's. From reviewing Kevin's first season at GU, I would think that Woodward is a better passer, but I believe that we will see the brilliance of Kevin's passing skills come out next season.

I think we all love KP. He certainly was a bright light last season, and will be again this upcoming season too. It would be great if Woodward could come into GU and take a redshirt season to learn the system Few uses, and then be a backup pointguard the last season of KP's career at GU. If Pangos leave to play professional ball then Woodward would be ready. I am excited by Woodward's video, and happy to see our coaching staff go after him hard right now.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Shorter D. Raivio-- i like what i am seeing.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

nice...and it would be even nicer if he could grow a couple of inches... =).

Comment

• cggonzaga
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

There is no way he is 6'0" but other than that his game is nice. Think BZ hit it on the head with the comparison even though I was thinking that was going to be way to favorable a comparison. Best adjective to describe him; fearless.

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Bundle of energy. Could all that energy sit for 2 years?
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• CanadianZagFan
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Jul 2008

looks like a real nice prospect, good jumper both from 3 and in the mid-range, he throws the lob as well as the drive and kick-out, has an array of floaters and runners as well as getting right to the rim. He does look a little thin right now, but he has time to get stronger.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Edina HS is just a few blocks from my work.

Thus, I'll be sure to check out Graham this Fall/Winter and provide first-hand account(s).

My Wife & I sincerely enjoy attending local HS games and frequently hit up Osseo football & basketball games ever since Sam Dower was in HS...we've become big fans of his alma mater, still talk to his parents, wear the school colors, which has been fun, esp. since neither of us are from MN.

Never seen him play. First thing that comes to mind is no way he's 6' tall, not yet(5'10", maybe?); secondly, he possesses a Pargo-esque cross-over move with terrific all-around instincts, handles, quickness, and fearless game on the floor. More Pangos in him than Raivio, imho, yet possibly a hair quicker with the ball than both. Nice looking jump shot, yet not as quick of release as the players he's compared with. His highlight reel plays nearly identical to Pangos when he was 15. He must get more elevation on that little floater in the lane or he'll be swatted every time and a couple more inches would be nice, at least a true 6' -- which he clearly is not, yet.

It'll be entertaining to keep an eye on him this season.
                Last edited by Baldwinzag; 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM.
                “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• hooter73
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2008

i saw his vid and write up on TSSF a few days back and my first thought was that if you put him on Stockton's shoulders you might have one full size player

I don't mind undersized guards as long as they play like they know their strengths and weaknesses. I know its different in High School but as stated above, there is no way his floater is a D1 applicable shot. He can score, but against similar sized competition. There's time for growth and improvement though and I think I like him more than some of the other recruits we've seem come and go.

But if we had Graham, Kendall Small might not look at GU as hard and I want Kendall Small.

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                    i saw his vid and write up on TSSF a few days back and my first thought was that if you put him on Stockton's shoulders you might have one full size player

I don't mind undersized guards as long as they play like they know their strengths and weaknesses. I know its different in High School but as stated above, there is no way his floater is a D1 applicable shot. He can score, but against similar sized competition. There's time for growth and improvement though and I think I like him more than some of the other recruits we've seem come and go.

But if we had Graham, Kendall Small might not look at GU as hard and I want Kendall Small.
                    Woodward is 2013, Small is 2015. If Woodward were to redshirt to 2014, I think Few could sell Small on a dynamic, albeit dwarfish, backcourt to take over for departing Pangos and Bell. No doubt there will be other guards in 2014/15 on the recruiting radar who may have a say in all this, too.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                      I think Few could sell Small on a dynamic, albeit dwarfish, backcourt to take over for departing Pangos and Bell.
                      We seem to be taking a page outta Coach Grier's playbook at USD i.e. sub-6' foot backcourts.
                      “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

It's wise to ask yourself...."do the guards on my team project to have the physical makeup as juniors and seniors to take on young guards from Syracuse, North Carolina and UCLA in the NCAA tournament?"

Comment

• HenneZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2012

New poster here...

I have been TSSF under a different name..anyways alot of great discussions on here..

I like Graham alot, his game to me replicates that of Pangos, his ability to change speeds, find the open guy and shoot the ball seems very mature, yeah he is small and that is always going to bring doubters, but his bball IQ seems elite. Pangos is a small guard to and he exceeded my expectations his freshman year, he is crafty, smart and knows how to create angles, I see alot of this in Woodward.

I would feel great bringing him in if we can also get Alberts, a 6'5 combo guard that we are high on for 2014.

As far as Kendall small in the 2015 class I dont know how much this will affect his possible decision to come to GU if we sign Woodward, also depends on if he RS...
                          America's Team!

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Baldwinzag View Post
                            We seem to be taking a page outta Coach Grier's playbook at USD i.e. sub-6' foot backcourts.
                            We'll never have a kid with as cool a name as Johnny Dee.

Add Alberts to go with Woodward and Small. Any kid who is good and has confidence in himself will want to be a part of a great backcourt. Pangos and Bell are examples. I don't see a problem.

Comment

• zag67
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

A bird in the hand

I quess that I would like to say, first suppose that we do not go after Woodward and then do not get Small. What will all of these fans then say about our recruiting. A bird in the hand is worth, ....... I think that the coaches could convince Small that he would work well with Woodward and they would make a super duo. I would like one or even both. I personally trust the coaches to find the best players, that want to come to GU.

Comment

Working...
                              X