PDA

View Full Version : Jim Calhoun to retire??

KStyles
09-12-2012, 02:39 PM
One of the most legendary coaches in college basketball history is set to retire, according to a report by Connecticut's NBC 30. The station broke the news Wednesday night that 70-year-old Jim Calhoun is leaving his post with UConn. Calhoun injured his hip while riding a bike in early August and recently has publicly put his commitment to continue coaching into question.

Calhoun did not return multiple calls made by CBSSports.com Wednesday, but we've learned an announcement could come as early as Thursday.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20166742/report-jim-calhoun-to-retire-

CDC84
09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8371331/connecticut-huskies-jim-calhoun-announce-retirement-sources-say

Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun is expected to announce his retirement at a news conference Thursday, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Calhoun, who coached the Huskies to three national titles, will be replaced by assistant coach Kevin Ollie, the sources said.

Terms of Calhoun's exit and Ollie's agreement were not finalized Wednesday.

A source close to Calhoun told ESPN.com that the Hall of Fame coach has had a lot of time to think about his retirement over the past month. Calhoun fractured his hip in early August after falling off his bicycle.

Calhoun, 70, has two years remaining on his contract. UConn recently was ruled ineligible for the NCAA Tournament due to poor APR scores.

A cancer survivor, Calhoun previously had stated that he wanted Ollie to be his successor.

Calhoun told ESPN.com this past summer that whenever he retired, he would mimic Dean Smith's plan of waiting right until the start of the season. Smith ended his tenure at North Carolina Tar Heels prior to the 1996-97 season, when UNC named longtime assistant Bill Guthridge as his successor.

UberZagFan
09-12-2012, 03:41 PM
It looks that way. With the recent health issues and the inability to play in the tourney this year, timing was right.

75Zag
09-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Coach C is not my style and I don't really want to endorse his approach to coaching BB, but he has been very successful in coaching some kids who could easily fallen between the cracks of society and he made them into NBA players or at least into decent human beings.

I hope he survives his cancer, and I hope he has a great retirement. I also hope that GU beats UConn 50 times in a row.

Go Bulldogs!

RenoZag
09-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Always thought Calhoun & U Conn were on the razor's edge between "getting away with it" and "caught with their pants down."

Rather like Calipari & ( insert current team name ).

rijman
09-12-2012, 06:59 PM
It's a great time to retire. I'm not saying Calhoun is bailing out, he's a tough guy and if he was in better health he probably would've hung in there and turned things around.

mee755
09-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I like Coach Cal. I'll miss his presence on the court.

katman50
09-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I will miss Coach Calhoun as well. Have always liked the guy. Oh dear, remember the Battle In Seattle when Jeremy threw the ball away. It was a tough loss. Of all the Eastern coaches, Calhoun and Gary Williams are my favorites.

sittingon50
09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
To me, he's as greasy as any of them. Goodbye.

cggonzaga
09-12-2012, 09:04 PM
To me, he's as greasy as any of them

Agreed but he can coach. Unlike Calipari he didn't need the best players to win.

CDC84
09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
TSN article on Calhoun:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-09-12/working-man-ball-coach-jim-calhoun-was-a-model-of-consistent-excellence

One of the great myths about UConn is that their rosters have been littered with McDonalds AA caliber talent. As this article points out, most of Calhoun's greatest players weren't like that coming in.

There haven't been too many coaches at any level of the game who were better at teaching the game to big men than Calhoun. Especially on the defensive end. It seems like UConn has been leading the nation in blocked shots per game since the beginning of time.

Vanzagger
09-13-2012, 10:17 AM
On now. He believed they were special. Not looking to make lame excuses before a single game was played. Really spread the credit well.

Oregonzagnut
09-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Never loved or hated him. But I leaned towards dislike because he beat us a couple times. Ok I hated him that year and stole our Final Four from us, but I think he has done more good than harm to the game.

Greasy? Probably. But he washes his hands well and makes sure people around him do to.

CaliforniaZaggin'
09-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Never loved or hated him. But I leaned towards dislike because he beat us a couple times. Ok I hated him that year and stole our Final Four from us, but I think he has done more good than harm to the game.

Greasy? Probably. But he washes his hands well and makes sure people around him do to.

Well said. :agreed:

MDABE80
09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
He's the face of UConn. It's the loss of an instution. He's brought them everything. I do think though, his health dictates another path for him. Sometimes God just taps you on the shoulder and say "it's time to go young fella..I have other plans for you".
I always thought he's a great on ball coach. Just superior results. Likely he didn't pay enough attention to the academics Boy did he produce though~!

Oregonzagnut
09-13-2012, 07:41 PM
SOmetimes God just taps you on the shoulder and say "it's time to go young fella..I have other plans for you".

I wish God would have pointed Richard Hamilton and A.J Price into other plans!

FlatheadZag
09-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Seemed like a "sore loser" after we beat them in Boston Garden. Wouldn't even shake Fews hand after the game, if I remember correctly.

Oregonzagnut
09-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Seemed like a "sore loser" after we beat them in Boston Garden. Wouldn't even shake Fews hand after the game, if I remember correctly.

Too big and too busy after a loss to go through the motions of respect and sportsmanship.