PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong case not closed yet

Zag 77
09-04-2012, 08:17 PM
It has not gotten a lot of coverage in the American media, but the issue of whether Lance Armstrong will lose his Tour de France titles may not be resolved for a long time.

Cycling's global governing body, the International Cycling Union (UCI), has challenged Usada's jurisdiction over doping in the sport, and has the option of appealing against the ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

It says it will not take any action or comment further until it has received evidence from Usada explaining why Armstrong must lose his titles. He won the Tour de France seven years in a row from 1999. He retired from cycling in 2005 but returned to the sport between 2009 and 2012.

Tour de France organisers said they would wait for the outcome of any stand-off between Usada and the UCI before taking action.

But Usada is aware of the need to counter Armstrong's claims it has gone beyond its jurisdiction with an investigation that is an "unconstitutional witch hunt", based on "corrupt inducements" to other riders.

The Colorado-based agency is not overly concerned with his attacks, but realises it must do more to convince a divided public it has compelling, and ultimately damning, evidence against one of the world's most famous sportsmen.

The bulk of that evidence is testimony from at least a dozen of his former team-mates and associates, but it is not, as has been reported, evidence gathered during the federal investigation into allegations of systematic doping at the US Postal Service cycling team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19433990

If USADA does not have forensic evidence (and it sounds like the federal authorities have not shared any of that from their closed investigation), then the case depends on testimony from guys who are more than a little impeachable as witnesses.

I am not personally convinced of Armstrong's guilt or innocence, but he frankly may have made the right legal move in his chess game against USADA. Forcing USADA in some tribunal to put their witnesses on the stand may be a smarter move than a closed USADA arbitration hearing would have been.

Ultimately he is trying his case in the court of public opinion, and at least according to this week's SI, polls seem to show that the American public does not believe the doping charges.

Zag 77
09-07-2012, 10:58 PM
USADA says he can't run in the Chicago Marathon with the Livestrong team running to raise cancer research money.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/8348822/lance-armstrong-not-allowed-run-chicago-marathon-report-says

What a bunch of jackasses. It is this sort of thing that make it look like USADA is in the wrong here. What is the point?

BobZag
09-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Felt like "piling on" by USADA. Let me try to get this straight: Lance is accused of doping in France at a French cycling event and a United States agency is going to all ends of the world on proving him guilty.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I'd say phooey on it, too. Time to move on in life.

webspinnre
09-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Look, I have no idea whether or not he doped, and the fact that there are witnesses makes me think there's at least the chance he did. Still, USADA has no jurisdiction whatsoever in regards to international cycling. If the UCI or Court of Arbitration want to strip him after having a trial or whatever it is they do, then fine.

BobZag
09-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Look, I have no idea whether or not he doped, and the fact that there are witnesses makes me think there's at least the chance he did. Still, USADA has no jurisdiction whatsoever in regards to international cycling. If the UCI or Court of Arbitration want to strip him after having a trial or whatever it is they do, then fine.

Why does the United States in general always try governing the world? I find this characteristic very odd and disturbing. I have no idea of Lance's guilt or innocence but for a US government agency to try to govern an age old event in France seems a bit much. All the taxpayer money spent on trying to get Lance for what he did or didn't do in 1999 to 2005 is just weird. It's a cycling event, not a murder spree.

asoc
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
How much money does the USADA actually get from the Government aka tax payer money?

BobZag
09-10-2012, 06:47 PM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/other-sports/usada-s-travis-tygart-plays-prosecutor-jury-and-judge-lance-armstrong-case

USADA is an independent, non-governmental and non-profit organization that derives the overwhelming majority of their funding from the federal government. USADA reported that 74% of its $13.3 million dollar budget in 2009 was courtesy of U.S. taxpayers. The federal grant is another expenditure in the U.S. war on drugs distributed by through the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP).

And that was 2009. It has ballooned significantly since then. Being "non-governmental" basically means no jury, no judge, no chance. Might as well be Judge Dredd.