PDA

View Full Version : Your level of excitement /anticipation is???

tyra
09-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I am excited for every season. But this year, I am looking forward to the season more than I have any season since '05-06. What about the rest of you?

Bogozags
09-02-2012, 05:03 PM
I am in a high state of readiness, waiting with baited breath, hoping all remain healthy, wishing we play at our highest potential in each game and watching the Zags play well into April. Anticipation can be maddening!

willandi
09-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I am probably X or Y. Very ready, very anticipitory. To be honest, in anticipation of the upcoming season, I have already started training. I have embarked on a strict regimen of drinking quality beer! (actually I never stopped, but I have stepped up the degree).:cheers::cheers:

bartruff1
09-02-2012, 05:17 PM
I treasure each season like it will be my last...

zag67
09-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Bart, I am with you. I have followed them since the mid 50s. Many downs and a few ups. THe last 12 years have been GREAT. Yes, some of them could have been better, but they have been fun. The team wins way more than they lose and even most of the losses have been close. I do not know how many I have left, but I am going to enjoy every one of them (and hope that there will be 20 more to come).

Oregonzagnut
09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
After the 2009-10 season. Each year has more and more promise, but the disappointing endings have it consequences on the level of emotion I put out before it starts. My excitement is highest when we beat a ranked team. Often we just got done playing like a well oiled machine and I think there can be nothing that can stop us.

so now, My emotions are more even keel. however, my expectations are different.

Each year I expect that we get to the quarterfinal round. but my expectations have been built WAY WAY up then whittled away ever since this:

"Loose Ball.... Its Good...Don't wanna foul.....And its OVER.....Gonzaga!! The slipper still fits..... They win it, 73-72!!!

Now I expect and hope, even pray for a final four, but int he end I am aware of the odds, the difficulty and the dynamics of putting together that kind of run. So I don't put as much emotion into it as I did.

Its kinda like my 15th marriage. Imma keep tryin"!!!!

rijman
09-02-2012, 05:59 PM
With college football started and pro football ready to start I am distracted right now, by once the Zags season gets close I get pretty excited. Just before the first game I'll watch my "Celebrating the Decade of Excellence" DVD to get me fired up. This should be another fun season and by fun I mean a season where the Zags DOMINATE!!!

McZag
09-02-2012, 06:05 PM
I treasure each season like it will be my last...

+1

Reborn
09-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I am really excited as I am every year. And yes I think this team COULD BE better than some before, but it has a lot of question marks still. I am always interested in seeing the new guys play, and I think we have a few really good new ones. Really looking forward to seeing KO back playing. This year we really do have some really good returning players, and it will be great to see their growth.

I am always most excited about our nonconference schedule and how that hs gotten better every year. We are really playing great teams now and even in K2...

And every year I look forward to conference play and disagree with anyone who thinks we have an EASY conference now...I love our games with St Mary's and USF, and now that BYU is in the West Coast conference I am so much more exicted...

am i MORE EXCITED..NO NOT REALLY. I AM ALWAYS EXCITED EVERY YEAR.

MDABE80
09-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Magical time of the year as we transition from those long Summer days. Now, we have football, baseball and soon basketball...5 weeks till practice and 8 till tipoff.
Lots going on.
We have some new faces on deck. KO, Karno , and our new face from Idaho (Kyle). KO should improve but it's been a long while.
It'll be a great 5 months. Looking forward to see our seasoned faces and the new ones too.

Lots of work to do but I have a hunch our season will be another good one.

Bogozags
09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
I am probably X or Y. Very ready, very anticipitory. To be honest, in anticipation of the upcoming season, I have already started training. I have embarked on a strict regimen of drinking quality beer! (actually I never stopped, but I have stepped up the degree).:cheers::cheers:

Wanting to learn from a "perceived master," what is the difference between quality and non-quality beer?

Can you drink more of one or the other?

When drinking, does time of day matter?

How about outside temperature? or indoor temperature, will either have a bearing?

Will a frosted nor non-frosted mug make a difference?

Does location of consumption (city, state, nation or continent) matter??

I was once considered a berry talented "drunk" but now I think people look at me more as an aged taster, so please share any and all knowledge you have on quality/non-quality beers and the art form known as beer drinking!

Thank You and I shall await your "anticipated" response.

jazzdelmar
09-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Lots of kwestions -- KO, KD, Karno -- but my expectations are as high as theyve been since DD's senior year. Bell and Pangos (no kwestions with Kevin) worth the price of admission. Already laying groundwork with the missus for some long weekends in Spokane this winter. Incognito, of course :).

willandi
09-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Wanting to learn from a "perceived master," what is the difference between quality and non-quality beer?

Can you drink more of one or the other?

When drinking, does time of day matter?

How about outside temperature? or indoor temperature, will either have a bearing?

Will a frosted nor non-frosted mug make a difference?

Does location of consumption (city, state, nation or continent) matter??

I was once considered a berry talented "drunk" but now I think people look at me more as an aged taster, so please share any and all knowledge you have on quality/non-quality beers and the art form known as beer drinking!

Thank You and I shall await your "anticipated" response.

What a lot of questions about such a complicated subject. I shall try to address them in as concise a manner as possible, space allowing. {As an aside, I think GU should offer an upper class course on the subject, 12credits/ quarter-semester...perfect for the Athletic Dept., with a Major in Brewmeistering and/or a minor in Imbibing}
First, while not common, advertising desrves to listened to. Anhauser Busch has advertised that "Nothing Beats a Bud". I live by this. If the choice is nothing or Bud, nothing wins hands down. I apply this to all Anhauser Busch products.
As a second rule, generally anything in a can is out. (I know that Fat Tire and Fosters are available in cans, but its just a rule of thumb).
The third principle is quantity. If the wife, or the doctor has limited your consumption, the size of the bottle must increase. Bill Cody, when allowed only one drink of whiskey a day, had a 1 1/2 quart glass made specifically to follow doctors orders.
Now to the questions.
You can always drink more of one than the other, thats why I usually alternate between brew. I start with a decent Ale, progress to an IPA and finish with a Porter. It keeps it even.
Time of day does matter, thats why the discovery of the world being round and the addition of time zones has aided our cause. "It's always 5 o'clock somewhere! Words to live by!
If its hot outside, room temperature brew has a cooling effect, if you're cold inside, you probably have a chill and extra brew helps, preferably a Trappist Ale, to get some of the religious benefits.
If the mug is frosted, just by being outside, go in and warm up...one of the brews with Coriander and other spices is a good choice, otherwise a frosted mug just waters down the brew.
The only effect that location has on brew consumtion are local laws. i.e. You don't want to be drinking outside in a dry county in Texas, or in downtown Bahrain. Know your limits...nothing past the edge of the base in Islamic countries.
As to the drinking itself, if you are with friends and are concerned about drinking too much, consider quaffing your drink. That consists of boisterous singing, accompanied by the waving of the arms and general camraderie. When quaffing it is possible to spill up to 2/3rds of a glass/mug/schooner. Be careful here though, if your host has paid $25.00/bottle or more, probably quaffing only 1/4 glass/mug would be considered in good taste.
Well it's Labor Day, back to my rigorous training! Here's Mud in your eye!

mgadfly
09-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I was most excited before Morrison's junior season. I had the highest expectations for the 2009 team (which was not a failure in my eyes as they had a great season despite losing their true center to injury).

This team: My excitement is mediocre. My expectations are very high. I think we have a lot of the right pieces this year and if Few can keep everyone focused despite the obvious issues that will arise with playing time, it could be a great team.

Malastein
09-03-2012, 10:17 AM
I have relatively low expectations for this team at this point in time. I don't feel as though they'll be one of the better teams Gonzaga has put out there. Reminds me a little bit of the last Heytvelt team, in that it just feels like this team, may have some fatal flaws which limit the ceiling. I'd think they could go Sweet Sixteen, but it feels like the program really needs a Final Four. Although my opinion will change if I see that Olynyk and Karnowski legitimately replace Sacre's contributions, Landry shows that he has much greater promise than he showed last season(or if the transfer can shore up the wing position, Pangos and Bell show that they are still capable of making major improvement, and Harris can become the man full time.

I legitimately worry that Pangos and Bell will make only incremental improvement to their games, since they are already refined players. How much more can we expect from them? I'm highly curious to see what Dranginis can do, and I'd like to see him out there with a 3 guard attack, even if it may be a defensive nightmare without a guy like Sacre to provide post D.

Can Karnowski just get on campus so that we can start hearing about how incredible he is and how he is the most talented big to ever step foot on campus? Then I'd say this season is a 10... Right now I'm at a 6.

siliconzag
09-03-2012, 10:42 AM
I have relatively low expectations for this team at this point in time. I don't feel as though they'll be one of the better teams Gonzaga has put out there. Reminds me a little bit of the last Heytvelt team, in that it just feels like this team, may have some fatal flaws which limit the ceiling. I'd think they could go Sweet Sixteen, but it feels like the program really needs a Final Four. Although my opinion will change if I see that Olynyk and Karnowski legitimately replace Sacre's contributions, Landry shows that he has much greater promise than he showed last season(or if the transfer can shore up the wing position, Pangos and Bell show that they are still capable of making major improvement, and Harris can become the man full time.

I legitimately worry that Pangos and Bell will make only incremental improvement to their games, since they are already refined players. How much more can we expect from them? I'm highly curious to see what Dranginis can do, and I'd like to see him out there with a 3 guard attack, even if it may be a defensive nightmare without a guy like Sacre to provide post D.

Can Karnowski just get on campus so that we can start hearing about how incredible he is and how he is the most talented big to ever step foot on campus? Then I'd say this season is a 10... Right now I'm at a 6.

Nice post, captures many of my thoughts about Gonzaga. I think there is potential to be a top 20 team, beyond that, this team does not look elite to me. Kyle could well be a key. We need a Richie Frahm kind of shooter, that can knock them down from long range on the corners. We also need something I haven't really seen after Ronny Turiaff and Blake graduated, that being fire. Gonzaga has a tendency to play to the level of the competition, and when they need to reach into the back pocket, they find it empty. Lots of almosts last year: USF, St. Mary's in the final, Ohio State, Michigan State (no shame in those two). Defense a perrenial weakness, needs emphasis and skill sets. Offense needs diversity. Saw glimpses of that last year, but we tend to telegraph our game plans and search for "go-to" guys. It makes our offense predictable and leads to too many missed opportunities and turnovers. The best situation is a balanced attack so there is nobody on the court the defense can slack on.

I expect a top 20 finish. NCAA tournament. Conference Championship. That should make all but the most unrealistic Zag fans happy. Sometimes, I admit, that I have flirted with neorealism, but that is largely due to reading some of my fellow posters who specialize in whisky talk. Not sayin who, or who who, but you guys know who you are.

Sili

Reborn
09-03-2012, 10:53 AM
I think what makes me so excited Mal is that there are so many unanswered questions, even though we have so much returning. Unanswered questions = excitement for me. One thing that has NOT been mentioned is how David Stockton's going to do. I think DS had kind of a down year shooting last year and my bet is that he has put a lot of time in shooting. For some reason I feel we're going to see an improved dS, as we did his Freshman year. I think DS is a great backup point guard and can bring a lot to the court.

The other thing I think about is "Can Mike Hart find some offense?" He would help so much more if he could. Personally, I really like these two players that come off the bench. You can talk about "high level recruits" all you want but I will always have a place in my Zag heart for true blue Zags like Mike Hart and David Stockton.

Along the same lines I can hardly wait to see Dranginis play. Like Hart and Stockton, he's a throwback to the old time Zags who were so underrated. He's another player that I am really excited about, and I have a gut feeling about him that we'll see some amazing things from him.

And then there is Edi. He was a JC transfer and had to miss the first part of last season, and I don't think he ever really got "caught up." He too could be a huge surprise. I just think he is a lot better than we saw last year.

And there is Coleman who we have not seen yet, but he comes to GU with very good credentials. He could be very very good. There was some worry about the #3 position last season, but this year it is gone. We have an inproved Edi, Coleman and Hart. That is strength at the #3.

We have Dranginis backing up Bell, and we're going to see that that is nothing but strength. We have an improved Stockton and Kevin P at the point. That is excellence at the point of attack, and we may see Dranginis at the point some.

And my God, what a deep and talented frontcourt we have. I don't understand the concern about either Dower or Olynyk. These guys should be seniors, and they are experienced in the GU system, along with Harris (who's also a senior). Dower and Olynyk are going to have great seasons imo. I don't know much about the Polish kid, but if he's even close to the hype about him, we have nothing but added strenth inside.

My excitement is definitely at a 10. The biggest challenge for me is to try to keep my expectations in check, and just enjoy each game, one by one. WE have a great out of conference schedule, which will keep me excited, and our conference is always tough. I'll tell you one thing. I have a BIG smile on my face as i think about this upcoming season.

jazzdelmar
09-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Sil, dont u mean hyperrealism?

I expect a top 20 finish. NCAA tournament. Conference Championship. That should make all but the most unrealistic Zag fans happy. Sometimes, I admit, that I have flirted with neorealism, but that is largely due to reading some of my fellow posters who specialize in whisky talk. Not sayin who, or who who, but you guys know who you are.

Sili

RRZagFan
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Coleman will have to sit out this year

MDABE80
09-03-2012, 11:46 AM
A pair of 15 ppg guards doesn't make me worried. Drang will get his. Likely on the 203 spot though. I'd expect to see all 3 (KP, GB and Drang) on the court at the same time if Edi or Hart fail. As far as bigs go, I just want to see all this KO imporvemnt and Karno has to come along quicly. Sam is Sam........
If we control the boards and play some good defense, we have enough offense to win 80%-90% (ie 3-5 losses) of our games.

SMC will be the troubled spot for this team. Overall, I don't see one huge dominant team in the entire NCAA at this point. Every team has some weaknesses.some more glaring than others. Given this, we should be going deeper this upcoming year unless we keep drawing top 3 teams.
Expect the 2nd half of the season to be much better than the 1st half.

VaBeachZAG
09-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Yes, Colman sits this year, but Barham is eligible to play.

BobZag
09-03-2012, 11:55 AM
What was the kwestion?

willandi
09-03-2012, 01:02 PM
what was the kwestion?

+1000

75Zag
09-03-2012, 03:21 PM
The best part of preseason for me is the level of my curiosity over what the upcoming season will be like. Some years have been pretty predictable. With Sacre's departure and the unknown growth potential of our 2 starting guards and the potential (or hype) of The Big Pole being an elite national one-and-done, this season is very unpredictable for me.

I just got back from a Labor Day picnic with a bunch of Kansas alumni. The BBQ was fantastic, but the Kansas faithful are pretty worried about their team this year, and particularly whether Jeff Withey can be as good as Cole Aldrich and whether Travis Releford and Elijah Johnson are good enough to deserve to play in the National Championship game. So I guess everyone has problems, not just GU fans.

Go Bulldogs!

Baseline
09-03-2012, 06:21 PM
If GU can beat SMC and BYU, then I think they will finish in the top 20. To me its not a given they can win the conference outright. We lost more than SMC by graduation in my opinion. Who stops Delly, that was Sacras job last year. It looks like BYU has gotten better.
We have the same team that lost the conference as last year, I hope a few of the unknowns step forward, but until that happens I'm just hoping we can win the conference.

BULLDOG#1
09-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I disagree with the statement that this won't be on of the stronger teams in recent history.

Two years ago, we had major flaws at PG and leadership that was missing with the departure of Bouldin. Last year, we had uncertainty at the 3 and a freshman backcourt.

This year, we have a core that's been together that's shown a ability and desire to play as a team. Plus:

- Big time scoring threats in Pangos, Bell, Harris and Dower (recent teams haven't had that number of truly gifted offensive players).

- We have a veteran frontcourt with great size... Harris, KO, Dower, Edi, Hart are all upperclassmen with a lot of experience. Can't remember a recent zag team with that much experience - though some have been more skilled.

- Possibly the best WCC incoming class with Drang and Karnowski... This should be a great team without their contributions, which makes anything they provide icing on the cake -- and there's good chance that one or both of them will be major contributors.

- Top to bottom, this team can shoot. Seriously, who in the top eight would you leave open all the way to the three line?

You can never tell until the season begins, but I am firmly on the optimistic side of expectations this year -- and more to the point of this thread -- more optimistic than other teams in recent memory.

Robzagnut
09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
1. GU loses in the tourney and I go into a depression for about a week and don't want to watch college basketball.

2. I get out of my funk and watch the rest of the tourney.

3. During the off season I keep up with the Zags on this forum. As the season get closer and I read about recruits, I start to get excited.

4. The hype is starting to build. The season approaches and I think this will be the best GU team since The Runner...

5. My excitement level is at its peak and I want a 28-3 season and a #3 seed.

6. GU loses it's first game and I start to see holes or weaknesses. This forum gets really chippy and the bandwagoners / short sighters call for Few's head.

7. GU loses another. GU isn't supposed to lose this many. Will they get a Top3 seed? All I want is a top 3 seed, so they won't face a #1 for a while.

8. GU beats some good teams and does great in the WCC, I'm getting excited again.

9. A loss to THAT team from the WCC? What?!? That's a disaster. There goes the seeding.

10. Freakin St. Marys. I hate that team.

11. Please don't put us in the same bracket with X or Y.... Damn, we got Y.

12. Hey, GU has a shot here, if only they do this and that...

Rinse and repeat.

ZagsGoZags
09-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Cautiously hopeful

There is far too much disappointment in my nervous system from having inflated expectations since the UCLA playoff game (which I still think involved a change of officiating standards for the last 5 minutes - they wouldn't call a hacking foul for any infractions)

happily astounded for Elite 8
happily amazed for Sweet 16
would predict 2nd round if money was on the table
one and done would disappoint but keep the streak alive

Reasons?
IF KO or Sam was going to be an elite level college player, I think we would have seen the evidence by now

The big unknown is if Drang or Karnage explode. I don't expect any of this to happen, and do not expect we will win both the Conference Championship AND the Tournament, but do expect we will one of those.

This year and next will be a dogfight that anyone could win in the WCC between the top three, and maybe another team or two will be upsetting the top three from time to time.

This year I keep my sights low, and let more success than that surprise me

cjm720
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
10 out of 10; the season can't get here soon enough.

Can't wait to see the pillars of our team - Harris, Bell and Pangos - and how Olynyk, Karnivore and Draganis work their way into the line-up (along with Edi, Dower, and others).

UberZagFan
09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Uber's jacked.

zagitarious
09-05-2012, 11:55 AM
1. GU loses in the tourney and I go into a depression for about a week and don't want to watch college basketball.

2. I get out of my funk and watch the rest of the tourney.

3. During the off season I keep up with the Zags on this forum. As the season get closer and I read about recruits, I start to get excited.

4. The hype is starting to build. The season approaches and I think this will be the best GU team since The Runner...

5. My excitement level is at its peak and I want a 28-3 season and a #3 seed.

6. GU loses it's first game and I start to see holes or weaknesses. This forum gets really chippy and the bandwagoners / short sighters call for Few's head.

7. GU loses another. GU isn't supposed to lose this many. Will they get a Top3 seed? All I want is a top 3 seed, so they won't face a #1 for a while.

8. GU beats some good teams and does great in the WCC, I'm getting excited again.

9. A loss to THAT team from the WCC? What?!? That's a disaster. There goes the seeding.

10. Freakin St. Marys. I hate that team.

11. Please don't put us in the same bracket with X or Y.... Damn, we got Y.

12. Hey, GU has a shot here, if only they do this and that...

Rinse and repeat.

Spot on.

mgadfly
03-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Fond memories of September.

RenoZag
03-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Robzagnut nailed it. . .clever, funny, accurate. . .

Reborn
03-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for reposting this thread. It was fun to read again. I have dfinitely been more excited then any before. Also more nervous at times. Most enjoyable season ever. The Zags have had only two losses so far, and those losses helped the Zags become the great team they are. In a year that most all of the Elite teams in the country had a tough time winning on the road, our Zags played great on the road, and their ability to win in some very tough environments, I think has made them the #1 team in the polls, which they should be given on Monday.

I never believed this team would be as great as they are. I doubt if any of us really did. I mean who really thought we'd be #1 in the country? Say what YOU want, if the Zags are #1 on Monday they deserve it. They have stood tall and did not break at the end of the season when everyone else in the top 6 or 7 lost.

I never believe that Kelly Olynyk would be the player he is. A huge surprise. He's the reason that we are where we are. And Elias has improved so much as a complete player. I probably never felt that we could have the best frontcourt in the country.

I felt very positive about this team, but my expectations at the beginning of the year were lower than the outcomes of what this team has done. At the beginning of the year I predicted they would lose 3 game up to this point of the season. I felt they would lose two non conference games and would lose at BYU. The BYU victory for me was great. Its probably what put is over the top into the #1 position in the polls.

But the season is not over, and truly THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!

Go Zags!!!

UberZagFan
03-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Uber's jacked.

Uber is more jacked than he expected.

ZagNative
03-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Robzagnut nailed it. . .clever, funny, accurate. . .Funny...prescient ... describes the journey so accurately.

Happy the season to date has gone as well as it has!