PDA

View Full Version : Speculation about Neutral/Neutral game vs. Big 12 opponent

CDC84
07-25-2007, 08:15 AM
As BZ indicated yesterday, Gonzaga is going to be taking on a "yet to be determined" Big 12 opponent this season. The game will be a part of a neutral/neutral series, with GU going on the road for this season's game. The opponent is not Oklahoma State.

Based on what various teams in the Big 12 have done in recent years for neutral court games, this is my best guess as to what might go down:

Possibility #1 - All College Classic in Oklahoma City versus Oklahoma Sooners. However, I have a feeling that the participants may have already been determined for this event.

Possibility #2 - vs. Texas/Texas A&M in Houston. Texas played LSU in Houston last season.

Possibility #3 - vs. Mizzou/Kansas State/Kansas in Kansas City. KC has just opened the brand new Sprint Center, which has replaced the old Kemper Arena. I know Kansas usually plays 1 or 2 opponents in KC per season. You would think that the folks who run the new arena would want to get some quality college basketball games in it this year.

Possibility #4 - vs. Colorado in Denver. Colorado and Colorado State sometimes play a double header in Denver. In fact, St. Mary's played Colorado in this event a few years back. This game would allow Matt Bouldin to play in front of a "hometown" audience.

I would be surprised if the opponent were Baylor. I don't know if a Gonzaga/Baylor game is going to be a big enough draw for Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. I don't see GU taking on Mizzou in St. Louis as Mizzou usually only plays 1 game per year in St. Louis, and that's Illinois. I don't see the opponent being Texas Tech because they're in the Great Alaska Shootout.

I am not aware of any place where you could stage a neutral game against either of the Iowa schools. I guess Des Moines. I don't see this as being the game.

thickman1
07-25-2007, 08:46 AM
GU vs KU in Kansas City would be Dy-no-mite!

DavyZag
07-25-2007, 08:59 AM
I was just going to say the same thing! That would be totally awesome.

Would the return game be at the Spokane Arena? Or in Seattle? Or in the same place as the first game?

BobZag
07-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Spokane Arena.

BBskorer
07-25-2007, 09:11 AM
According to this (http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/071107aas.html), KU's '07/'08 non-conf sched is completed (we ain't in it, although EWU is).

And this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/article.aspx?articleID=070713_2_B2_Broth47445) says the Sooners, as of a couple weeks ago, don't yet have an opponent for the All-College (ORU vs OSU in the other half).

I for one was hoping for an extended series with one of the OK schools, if for no other reason than to add an extra carrot for a certain '08 recruit. Oh well.

EL MUSTACIO
07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Hopefully that same 08 recruit will already be playing for us before the said OK game...

Gonzdb8
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I would love to see to us play a neutral/neutral against KU. As much as i dislike the jayhawks they would be a marquee opponent and matchup against one of the all time great college programs. I also have a lot of respect for their fans and Phognet is definitely one of my favorite non-GU boards. Knowledgable fans who generally shoot straight and give (somewhat) unbiased opinions. but i guess if their non conf is complete it likely won't happen.

pbriz
07-25-2007, 01:18 PM
A reliable source told me last year we would be playing KU, possibly even at home but it was never finalized. I will keep my ears open but this was six months ago I heard this and nothing has been mentioned since so chances are probably slim

CDC84
07-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I would love to see to us play a neutral/neutral against KU. As much as i dislike the jayhawks they would be a marquee opponent and matchup against one of the all time great college programs. I also have a lot of respect for their fans and Phognet is definitely one of my favorite non-GU boards. Knowledgable fans who generally shoot straight and give (somewhat) unbiased opinions. but i guess if their non conf is complete it likely won't happen.

Unfortunately, I lost a lot of respect for many of their posters when Micah Downs transferred from there. I expected negative commentary, but nothing like some of the stuff that I read from people who frankly had zero clue as to what was going on.

jbslicer
07-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Looks like the Ronald McDonald House Charity game is bringing some big time opponents. SRO in the Spokane Arena.