CDC84
08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Jordan Mathews at #85.

tinfoilzag
08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
2 each committed to St. Marys and BYU.

ZagNative
08-28-2012, 03:07 PM
SSF is reporting (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/8/28/3275401/jordan-mathews-gonzaga-recruiting) Jordan Mathews is no longer considering Gonzaga.

CDC84
08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Similar to this time last year, we have seen a number of very talented prospects come and go from Gonzaga's radar. This current situation is eerily similar to Skylar Spencer's recruitment last year as many thought Gonzaga was a clear leader and all of the sudden, something drastic changed. We have heard rumblings that the staff was a bit concerned about the amount of immediate playing time they could offer talented prospects like Mathews but it seemed like a very logical fit.

I agree with the TSSF folks on this. It's rather obvious by now that GU's main interest lies in the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes. They are having a hard time making any real sales pitch to a talented kid like Mathews due to GU's perimeter depth. It'll be easier with the 2014/15 kids.

cggonzaga
08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
What a cop out! Tell me how 2014 is any better???

Pangos-Junior
Bell-Junior
Dranginis-Sophomore
Coleman-Junior
Dower-Senior
Olynk-Senior
Karno-Sophomore
Miekle/Reynolds-RS Freshmen or sophomores
Stockton-Senior

I just find it very hard to believe that all kids care about anymore is immediate playing time. Personally I would care about winning, making NCAA tournament appearances and playing on national television. How are those not HUGE selling points? Also, from the sounds of it Mr. Mathews could have played early on. This is college, the best players play!

cjm720
08-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Pangos-Junior
Bell-Junior
Dranginis-Sophomore
Coleman-Junior
Dower-Senior
Olynk-Senior
Karno-Sophomore
Stockton-Senior

I just find it very hard to believe that all kids care about anymore is immediate playing time. Personally I would care about winning, making NCAA tournament appearances and playing on national television. How are those not HUGE selling points? Also, from the sounds of it Mr. Mathews could have played early on. This is college, the best players play!

I think you're off by one year. e.g., in 2014, Bell and Pangos will be a senior.

soccerdud
08-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Pangos-Junior
Bell-Junior
Dranginis-Sophomore
Coleman-Junior
Dower-Senior
Olynk-Senior
Karno-Sophomore
Stockton-Senior

cgg, you're a year off with all those players. for the 2013 class, that's exactly what they are looking at.

for 2014, dower, olynyk, and stockton will be gone, and pangos, bell, and coleman will be seniors.

cggonzaga
08-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Yes I am off a year, I apologize. 2014 will still be terrible for early playing time at the guard position.

ZagNative
08-28-2012, 04:20 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sV5vm7xtFso/UD1fd8_u3-I/AAAAAAABVZw/qk8gIudWKBY/s610/Scholies.jpg

cggonzaga
08-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the chart ZN. Man, how critical does the 2014 class become now especially if Karno is as good as advertised and leaves early. We'd better be all over Pope and McLaughlin. Both will be incredibly hard to get (both in top 25 right now) but at least we'll be able to offer early playing time since that is apparently all that matters anymore.

cjm720
08-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes I am off a year, I apologize. 2014 will still be terrible for early playing time at the guard position.

Huge diff between one and two years to 17 year old kid.

cggonzaga
08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I beg to differ cjm. If a kid wants early playing time he wants it year one. He's not willing to wait a year.

2015 is looking scary if we don't have a great class next year.

Kiddwell
08-28-2012, 10:51 PM
How rich is the talent pool for next year? And the year following, for that matter? What are the experts saying about those classes?

:]

MDABE80
08-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Usually kids would LIKE a year with the seniors to learn. 2014-2015 is a good year to teach. When is the last time the cupboards were bare? Not in over a decade.
Look at it this way, likely both Kevin and Gary will be AA candiates by then. ...maybe after this year even. What frosh would even imagine he'd get tons of playing time with those two in full bloom? None with a brain.
Dranginis and a wing spot are less certain. We've got bigs but by 14 we will need a wing and a good big coming on board.
Easy folks. No reason to panic years in advance.

Another thought is that big time winning programs will attract the best kids. One and one? maybe not. We don't get those anyway. We'll be fine.

2wiceright
08-28-2012, 11:15 PM
What a difference a year can make. It's a very important year for this team to win the WCC outright, and even moreso that we really go far in March this year- and i'm not talking just the Sweet 16.

I really believe what will get more top recruits to sign is a run to the E8 or F4. This team needs to make a statement like never before to legitamize to the nation (and all potential big recruits) that the Zags are back in a big way on the national scene. What this 'little' school has done has been incredible. But I think a couple really deep runs (easier said than done) will speak volumes to high value recruits IMHO... instead of them often slipping through our fingers before their scheduled visits- i.e., Jordan Matthews of the recruiting world (top 100, 4 star guys).

cggonzaga
08-28-2012, 11:41 PM
I agree 2wice.

Abe, I believe 2014 is especially critical now because I don't want to have to play 7 or 8 freshmen in 2015. We'll need at least 4 high level recruits (top 200 kids) in 2014 to still be competitive in 2015. I know we're not done yet for 2013 but the misses are starting to build up. Whether its kids wanting early playing time or poor recruiting, I don't know. Not to mention how many kids have left the program. As great as the next 3 years could be, and I believe they'll be the best we've seen, I am a little worried about 2015 and beyond. Like 2wice said we need big time runs in the NCAAs the next few years.

CDC84
08-29-2012, 08:13 AM
How rich is the talent pool for next year? And the year following, for that matter? What are the experts saying about those classes?

Very, very rich in west coast talent. The state of California has 10 to 15 top 100 players alone in the 2014 class.

Many references on the internet of Gonzaga being the only folks in the gym scouting 2015 guys, including Kendall Small, the future high major PG from Huntington Beach who has grown up a Gonzaga fan.

There's a reason why the staff cares so much about these classes, and it's not just because they need to fill roster spots. The state of California hasn't seen this much talent in quite some time.

Gonzaga could really use a big NCAA tournament run this March. It would really help recruiting. Especially with a guy like Malik Pope.

Vanzagger
08-29-2012, 10:54 AM
What a difference a year can make. It's a very important year for this team to win the WCC outright, and even moreso that we really go far in March this year- and i'm not talking just the Sweet 16.

I really believe what will get more top recruits to sign is a run to the E8 or F4. This team needs to make a statement like never before to legitamize to the nation (and all potential big recruits) that the Zags are back in a big way on the national scene. What this 'little' school has done has been incredible. But I think a couple really deep runs (easier said than done) will speak volumes to high value recruits IMHO... instead of them often slipping through our fingers before their scheduled visits- i.e., Jordan Matthews of the recruiting world (top 100, 4 star guys).

and now the part that has me widely on ignore...I think Few's loyalty to the Kiddy line up will put us right back where we were last year or worse. He's not a big thinker or risk taker. He know's what keeps GU Boards happy.

and this is the part where someone should step up and say the 3 6fts playing together are going to prove you wrong. Only if you really believe that.

sittingon50
08-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Keep GU Boards happy.

Who knew?

Kiddwell
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Very, very rich in west coast talent. The state of California has 10 to 15 top 100 players alone in the 2014 class.

Many references on the internet of Gonzaga being the only folks in the gym scouting 2015 guys, including Kendall Small, the future high major PG from Huntington Beach who has grown up a Gonzaga fan.

There's a reason why the staff cares so much about these classes, and it's not just because they need to fill roster spots. The state of California hasn't seen this much talent in quite some time.

Gonzaga could really use a big NCAA tournament run this March. It would really help recruiting. Especially with a guy like Malik Pope.

Thanks, CDC--

Kind of thought the Zag coaches might be backing off some of this year's crop because their betters are available in the ensuing classes.

:]

cjm720
08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
So take Pangos out because he's short. Okay, you are brilliant.

and now the part that has me widely on ignore...I think Few's loyalty to the Kiddy line up will put us right back where we were last year or worse. He's not a big thinker or risk taker. He know's what keeps GU Boards happy.

and this is the part where someone should step up and say the 3 6fts playing together are going to prove you wrong. Only if you really believe that.

NotoriousZ
08-29-2012, 05:30 PM

This is good news. And since a big tournament run this March is more likely than not if you ask me, this is very good news. Thanks CDC.

NotoriousZ
08-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Wrong again vz, I wasn't aware we had three 6fts playing together. And I would put you on ignore, but I do occasionally enjoy scanning through your nonsense for a laugh or two.

bigblahla
08-29-2012, 06:21 PM

If what you're saying is in the future, when possible, recruit more size at PG & SG then I would agree with you.

The prevailing wind here says we are a mid-major school in a double digit conference and therefore not that glamorous to top recruits. However several posts on the board today shared some good news, we're loaded, there's no PT available and we don't need anybody for a couple of years so..... not to worry. :rolleyes:

Go!! Zags!!!

MickMick
08-29-2012, 09:05 PM
You would think that folks wouldn't get so shook up over recruiting.

GU reloads.

There will be transfers to and from GU.

There will be highly regarded kids that will or will not come here.

There will be diamonds in the rough and players that don't pan out.

Groundhog day over and over again. The groundhog almost always plays big games in March.

WallaWallaZag
08-30-2012, 01:01 PM

...there shouldn't be a need for the 3 smurfs lineup this year if either edi steps up his game and plays well consistently or if dranginis is ready and what he's hyped up to be. only need one out of the two and if both happen stockton's playing time likely goes up in smoke. never would have had to use the smurf lineup in the first place last year if carter had played up to expectations.

edited to add: forgot about option 3...if hart unleashes the shooter that some claim he is capable of being...then also no need for small ball.