PDA

View Full Version : RIP Neil Armstrong

BobZag
08-25-2012, 02:14 PM
What he did in 1969 still is incredible in 2012. #AmericanHero

MDABE80
08-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes BZ. one of the rarest. An American hero. We cannot replace our legends. First steps on the moon.

MickMick
08-25-2012, 03:15 PM
I remember the moon landing well.

I was watching qualifiying for unlimited hydroplanes and listened to it on the radio. Went home and watched more of it on TV.

The entire world did.

Section 116
08-25-2012, 04:12 PM
In July 1969 I was in the U.S. Air Force stationed on Guam. We had no TV and no access to much live radio, at least not as lowly airmen. We, of course were aware the U.S. was on its way to the moon but it wasn't until three days after the landing that we had access to any media other than a short newscast on Armed Forces radio. The Stars and Stripes newspaper used to make its way to Guam from Japan three days after publish date and that was our first access to any type of comprehensive media coverage. Of all the billions of people across the globe who watched live those first footsteps on the moon, I, and many who were serving their country at the time, were not witnesses to that historic event. My how times have changed in these days of instant worldwide media coverage!

Oregonzagnut
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Yes BZ. one of the rarest. An American hero. We cannot replace our legends. First steps on the moon.

American Hero for sure. But a hero and legend to all of humanity for the rest of all time. He bridged the gap between star trek and the reality of being earthbound. He represents all that is American, all that is human, and all that means "One Giant Leap for Mankind!"

We were mere mammals before we landed on the moon, and after, we were space travelers who defined our species as stringer and smarter than all others ever

Neil Armstrong was the real life Maverick, Captain Kirk and John Wayne all rolled into one, yet he was as humble as Gandhi and Mother Theresa.

TheZagPhish
08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
http://f.cl.ly/items/2u263b1J0D240e3I3B1h/neil-armstrong.jpeg

RIP

JAGzag
08-26-2012, 05:31 AM
On Friday we had a lecture from James Lovell, commander of Apollo 13 and it was simply amazing. Those guys are cut from a different cloth; they don't make them like that anymore. Simply amazing to hear their strories.

gamagin
08-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Armstrong, in Spokane, not long after the moonwalk. Buzz Aldrin, too, in Olympia. Shook both their hands and got Armstrong's autograph. I still have it somewhere.

on both occasions, these two famous men (and others) were out on the hustings for continued funding for the various NASA programs.

Armstrong was, as portrayed, a very private, quiet and soft spoken guy who simply did it all, and then stepped back from the public spotlight and the stage, and back to normalcy, by choice. RIP.

kitzbuel
08-26-2012, 02:23 PM
I could not imagine climbing on top of 10 stories of explosives, strapped in a cage the size of my powder room with two other guys, and telling some one to light it.

Great big ones.

A lot of his comrades went before him, he represented them all well.

Oregonzagnut
08-26-2012, 08:03 PM
I could not imagine climbing on top of 10 stories of explosives, strapped in a cage the size of my powder room with two other guys, and telling some one to light it.

Great big ones.

The crazy thing is that even in this day and age of technology and back up and triple back up safety plans, these guys did the trip with vacuum tubes, a "hurry up and beat the Russian" attitude, and the knowledge that there is a high likelihood that it would be an unsuccessful one way ticket.

Getting there was the goal with plan A and plan B to do it. Getting home was a bonus and it was one lucky shot and one lucky shot only.

But Armstrong always admitted that he would not have been the first if Grisson, Chaffee and White had not perished in the Apollo 1 fire. I think he was truly a hero for so long to not take the limelight from so many others who came before him.

The Blue Whale has kahunas that weigh over 900kg. tiny

MDABE80
08-26-2012, 08:12 PM
You mean Nixon talked to them on a hardwire line!!???

Oregonzagnut
08-26-2012, 08:21 PM
You mean Nixon talked to them on a hardwire line!!???

His phone was only a few miles from the stage where they faked it.

Birddog
08-27-2012, 07:02 AM
I remember the moon landing well.

I was watching qualifiying for unlimited hydroplanes and listened to it on the radio. Went home and watched more of it on TV.

I was also there and watched in Pasco after the races were over. There were about 6 of us Zags at a friends house and we were all pretty inebriated from a day at the park on the Columbia watching the races. I believe that was also the same day that Miss Budweiser while trying to get to the lead took a dive in the 2nd turn in one of the heats. Great times at the Atomic Cup. The Moonwalk was on Sunday and we were transfixed like most of the TV watching world although I was seeing double.

Zag 77
08-27-2012, 08:49 AM
In a rare public appearance, in 2000, Armstrong cast himself in another light: I am, and ever will be, a white-sock, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer.

History would beg to disagree.

When he walked on the moon and I was 14, he was a very cool guy.

gozagswoohoo
08-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Great big ones.

I got claustrophobic and nervous just reading that.

SWZag
08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
I, unfortunately, wasn't alive yet to experience the moon landing. This is one of the major human accomplishments. I believe a hero is someone who is a true role model and an aspiration to others, while not expecting anything in return. Humility. Neil was one of those guys.

A True American icon for everyone, no matter your way in life.

SWZag

BobZag
08-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Great big ones.

Well said, kitz, and very true. Those big Saturn rockets were amazing in their day. David Bowie best described those little capsules as "tin cans." And try to imagine the technology back then. Transisters and gadgets not even close to what we find in any Radio Shack nowadays. As Spock said, they were working with bear skins and stone knives.

zagco
08-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Great UFO audio of Mr. Armstrong. Some of the best ever.

NotoriousZ
08-27-2012, 07:15 PM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krrfsbi9261qzr4e1o1_400.png

We landed on the Moon!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo)

One of my favorite movie quotes, I bet Neil got a kick out of that one.