PDA

View Full Version : Nike Tourney 2017

NanookZag
08-16-2012, 07:44 AM
I know where i will be in November 2017. Wow.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8274359/nike-schools-commit-16-team-mega-event-honor-phil-knight[/URL]

cjm720
08-16-2012, 08:38 AM
+1...awesome

OregonZag5
08-16-2012, 09:14 AM
What an event- ready to clear my calendar- I just hope GU plays Oregon- have waited for that for a long time- got my wish when we played and beat Notre Dame and now want to play Oregon and beat them( not a Oregon hater as I have track, basketball and football season tickets, just would give me great pleasure- especially where wife and two children have a total of 5 degrees from Oregon)-

jazzdelmar
08-16-2012, 09:18 AM
all about homage to the big $$$$$. but thats college sports today. i knw why, but portland sure does stick out like a morton's toe in a pair of nike frees.

zagfan24
08-16-2012, 09:47 AM
all about homage to the big $$$$$. but thats college sports today. i knw why, but portland sure does stick out like a morton's toe in a pair of nike frees.

Agree that this event could bring in big $$$ -- per the article, I'm glad the coaches and AD's are trying to work this in to a Jimmy V fundraiser. Raise some money for cancer research + GU in a high-end preseason tournament = good in my book.

Once and Future Zag
08-16-2012, 11:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8274359/nike-schools-commit-16-team-mega-event-honor-phil-knight

Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio State, Connecticut, Georgetown, Texas, Oklahoma, Stanford, Oregon, Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga and Portland.

Kiddwell
08-16-2012, 12:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8274359/nike-schools-commit-16-team-mega-event-honor-phil-knight

Michigan State, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio State, Connecticut, Georgetown, Texas, Oklahoma, Stanford, Oregon, Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga and Portland.

Texas instead of Kansas. Interesting. (Wrong shoes/uni's?)

:]

KStyles
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Texas instead of Kansas. Interesting. (Wrong shoes/uni's?)

:]

Yeah, I think Kansas is currently an Adidas school. Definitely could change in the next 5 years though.

Johnnygu
08-16-2012, 02:01 PM

Wow, a party with all the cool kids and we're invited!:D

tobizag
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
the article mentioned something about only 1 school per conference, but both gonzaga and portland are included in the list...

:confused:

harryzag
08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
the article mentioned something about only 1 school per conference, but both gonzaga and portland are included in the list...

:confused:

There are 2 schools representing each conference invited.

16 teams. Two 8 team tournaments.

MDABE80
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Looks like an early season Sweet 16 most years. Pilots of local interest Im sure.

Surely all are the big money schools though outside of the GU/PDX teams.

dawgfather11
08-16-2012, 05:02 PM
great idea, but it sickens me it's to honor knight and the travesty he has made of college football and sports in general. Curious if this will still go on if the NCAA burns down Oregon like most think later this year.

NotoriousZ
08-16-2012, 05:16 PM
The Pac-12 sends Oregon (naturally, Nike) and Stanford? One has to wonder if the UW (also a Nike school I believe) was asked to attend, and turned it down. Perhaps Romar found out the Zags were in and decided this wasn't a big enough event for his team--you know, the whole national exposier thing just wouldn't be there.

Or perhaps Stanford was just asked first. ;)

Zagdawg
08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Can you ROAD TRIP! I'm thinking that it may be a difficult time finding a hotel.

ZAGduck
08-16-2012, 08:35 PM
great idea, but it sickens me it's to honor knight and the travesty he has made of college football and sports in general. Curious if this will still go on if the NCAA burns down Oregon like most think later this year.

Most? source, please

ZAGduck
08-16-2012, 08:36 PM
The Pac-12 sends Oregon (naturally, Nike) and Stanford? One has to wonder if the UW (also a Nike school I believe) was asked to attend, and turned it down. Perhaps Romar found out the Zags were in and decided this wasn't a big enough event for his team--you know, the whole national exposier thing just wouldn't be there.

Phil Knight has degrees from both Stan and OR.

Blitzing-Zag
08-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Thats gonna be one heck on an event.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-16-2012, 09:22 PM

When they picked 2 PAC 12 teams they were obviously going to pick Oregon... and they had to pick a Cali school. Come on, 4 northwest teams? And UW isn't that good anyway it's not like they should have been automatically considered.

NotoriousZ
08-16-2012, 09:42 PM
When they picked 2 PAC 12 teams they were obviously going to pick Oregon... and they had to pick a Cali school. Come on, 4 northwest teams? And UW isn't that good anyway it's not like they should have been automatically considered.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn't pass on the chance to get yet another dig on Romar. :D

MDABE80
08-16-2012, 10:25 PM
It's a lot like an NCCA tournament in mini form. I'm sure the TV sets across the antion and the world will be watching this tournament. Further though, it'll set the tone for the BIG one at the end of the season. It'll be referred to for the rest of the sason. Big stuff. Teams, future rankings and stars will be figured out that one weekend.

dawgfather11
08-17-2012, 05:42 AM

Do you really think they would ask their most bitter rival to be in a tournament to honor their President and AD, Phil Knight who runs the school? Just curious...

dawgfather11
08-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Most? source, please

do you live in the cave? Try paying attention to any sports related news site out there unless your doing your head in the sand trick hoping nothing happens haha. Oregon's going down and going down hard.

Johnnygu
08-17-2012, 08:49 AM
do you live in the cave? Try paying attention to any sports related news site out there unless your doing your head in the sand trick hoping nothing happens haha. Oregon's going down and going down hard.

I guess I'm in a cave too...I've heard lots of speculation and rumors, but no reports that any sort of sanctions are imminent.

CDC84
08-17-2012, 09:08 AM
The word is that one eight team tournament would be held at the Rose Garden, and the other eight team tournament would be held at the adjacent Memorial Coliseum. I know a few years ago that they were thinking about tearing down Memorial Coliseum for a number of reasons. Would it still be standing in 2017? If they could make that arrangement it would be fantastic. Fans could attend games at both venues as they are within walking distance.

OregonZag5
08-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes times have changed - Washington is not longer on the top. I can remember when Oregon was treated like the much younger brother- when Oregon and Washington played in the past- Oregon did treat it as a big game but Washington ( althought one year over 10,000 of them came to Oregon) saw it as a not important game. I was raised on stories on how badly treated my parents were when they sat in the Tyee section- could go on and on. The point is Oregon has won- what 7 in a row- Phil Knight made in money in sports and there is nothing wrong with his spending it on sports. He has also given over 100,000,000 to Stanford, built the library at Jesuit, build a new law school and re did the library at Oregon. Yes, it must kill you the Oregon won three Pac Championships in a row, played in the National Championship and won the Rose Bowl. Now back to basketball- very much want Oregon to play GU- and I will proudly wear my GU clothes as I sit in my reserved season seat.

ZAGduck
08-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Believe me, I am pretty tuned in to what is going on down here. "Sports related news sites" have no idea what will happen - no one knows; speculation runs from death penalty to slap on the wrist. I understand UW fans' speculation and desire for harsh penalties (just look at the frenzy on Dawgman), but don't buy in to the hype. NO ONE knows.

Regardless, I seriously doubt that any football related penalties are going to affect the basketball team's tournament eligibility 5 years from now.

kitzbuel
08-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Apparently it is easier to organize a Nike Tournament than a Jesuit tournament.

dawgfather11
08-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Believe me, I am pretty tuned in to what is going on down here. "Sports related news sites" have no idea what will happen - no one knows; speculation runs from death penalty to slap on the wrist. I understand UW fans' speculation and desire for harsh penalties (just look at the frenzy on Dawgman), but don't buy in to the hype. NO ONE knows.

Regardless, I seriously doubt that any football related penalties are going to affect the basketball team's tournament eligibility 5 years from now.

Nike U's problem is that they are a repeat offender, remember you already got wacked for the forged signatures thing? they are going to be harsh. Not death penalty but much stronger than USC.

Also the infractions that have already been released cover more than just football, i don't know if it will end up involving bball as I don't recall them being mentioned so far but have heard track and baseball as well as football.

Anyways i'll move on from that and be ready to laugh at the cheaters when the hammer falls :D

MDABE80
08-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Downfall of UW's program is in progress. I do sincerely hope Romar's going to solve this. One and done is killing his program. He cannot keep his shelves stocked. I do suspect leaving UW out (at least for now) is some kind of political move though.

This is and will be an historic tourney if Nike continues to support it.
As it turns out, a premiere shoe company now has put together it's own adoration program by paying the Nike schools to support it. I wonder if this will be a yearly event.Just amazing in my view!
An incredibly smart business move. Knight must be a master. Not so much because of sneakers but business. This sets Nike up as THEE Icon.
Schools get richer, Nike does too. Networks have a incredibly rich spinoff. Advertisers support it...and in the end. the consumer pays for all this. Even the NCAA gets rich off it.
Something in it for everyone. Even us little guys who just watch.

Knight and his marketeers must be masterful. It's simple but brilliant.
Putting it in the future surely will pre-empt other tournaments as well. Smaller tournaments will continue. I have no doubt that setting up a Swt 16 tournament 1 month into the season will set the tone for larger things too.
There is the converse in all this too though. If it's so lucrative, will this gut other programs/tournaments and will the NCAA get in the way of other efforts?? Huge conflict of interest is possible.

Business wise though, this is a huge bold move by NCAA/Business/16 colleges which will sideswipe lots of competition.
Everyone will do well on this..... especially if you're on the inside of the game (which apparently we are).
Sorry fellas/gals...just some lazy Sunday morning thoughts....... but the implications of this on event are staggering. All you Business/marketing majors on the board should be study this. If you have an internship, I'd go get close to this learning experience.

23dpg
08-19-2012, 08:31 PM
This is NOT a sinister move by Knight to leave UW out of the tourney.

He ATTENDED Stanford!!!!
Of course they would be the second Pac12 invited.

End of story.:argh:

willandi
08-19-2012, 08:59 PM
This is NOT a sinister move by Knight to leave UW out of the tourney.

He ATTENDED Stanford!!!!
Of course they would be the second Pac12 invited.

End of story.:argh:

Of course it's a sinister move! Name one other Hoops team from a BCS conference, that won it's regular season title, that got left out of the NCAA tournament!...not even a play-in game!

MDABE80
08-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't think it's sinister. I do this it has political tones though. In the ESPN article it does say he's a Stanford grad. I suppose he's entitled to chose anyone. Romar's got his work cut out for him. Seriously 2 first rounders and a good supporting cast and he bows out so early in the NIT?

Oregonzagnut
08-19-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't think it's sinister. I do this it has political tones though. In the ESPN article it does say he's a Stanford grad. I suppose he's entitled to chose anyone. Romar's got his work cut out for him. Seriously 2 first rounders and a good supporting cast and he bows out so early in the NIT?

I agree with MDABE80.

Based on winning % over the last 5 years Portland has no place in the tourney compared to each and every other team. I don't have a single thing against Portland and obviously they were chosen due to being in Oregon, but the Oregon Ducks are clearly Nike's flagship University so they used it to do whatever they wanted and they chose Portland over UW.

And that is a clear slap in the face and Romar deserves it. Romar doesn't even care to play for Washington pride so why does he deserve to play for any elite Nike tournament!

I'm glad UW was left out. Maybe Romar will stop claiming that money and recruiting are the most important and start to play games for the reasons games were meant to play for. Winning! But beating your in state rivals are even more important.

KStyles
08-19-2012, 11:58 PM
I agree with MDABE80.

Based on winning % over the last 5 years Portland has no place in the tourney compared to each and every other team. I don't have a single thing against Portland and obviously they were chosen due to being in Oregon, but the Oregon Ducks are clearly Nike's flagship University so they used it to do whatever they wanted and they chose Portland over UW.

While UP may not be in the same echelon as other teams in the tourney, Portland certainly wasn't chosen over UW. Take away Portland, and UW still would not have a spot.

The organizers chose Stanford and Oregon over UW. There is a limit of one team per conference in each of the 8 team brackets (to maintain status as an exempt tourney for scheduling purposes). After choosing Oregon for one bracket and Stanford for the other, they couldn't add WSU, ASU, Ariz, Cal, USC, UCLA, Colorado, OSU, Utah or UW to a bracket without losing (at least half of) the event's status as an exempt tournament.

Oregonzagnut
08-20-2012, 11:09 AM
While UP may not be in the same echelon as other teams in the tourney, Portland certainly wasn't chosen over UW. Take away Portland, and UW still would not have a spot.

The organizers chose Stanford and Oregon over UW. There is a limit of one team per conference in each of the 8 team brackets (to maintain status as an exempt tourney for scheduling purposes). After choosing Oregon for one bracket and Stanford for the other, they couldn't add WSU, ASU, Ariz, Cal, USC, UCLA, Colorado, OSU, Utah or UW to a bracket without losing (at least half of) the event's status as an exempt tournament.

Int he Nike Tournament, IMO, Oregon was the first school chosen. Portland the last. That is all I am saying and it is IMO only.

I agree UW was never going to be in, and I stick by the reasons I said above.

PilotNut
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Exactly. 2 teams per conference--1 in each 8-team bracket. UW didnt get included because UO (obvious choice) and Stanford (Knight's alma mater, and recipient of well over $100 million in Knight donations) were chosen from the Pac-12. Period.

...or maybe Romar didnt want to take the chance of having to play GU .... (sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

Oregonzagnut
08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Exactly. 2 teams per conference--1 in each 8-team bracket. UW didnt get included because UO (obvious choice) and Stanford (Knight's alma mater, and recipient of well over $100 million in Knight donations) were chosen from the Pac-12. Period.

...or maybe Romar didnt want to take the chance of having to play GU .... (sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

I stand corrected by both Styles and Pilot-nut regarding the requirements. An Oregon connection and local ticket sales for Portland is a no brainer to be chosen over St Marys or BYU.

But maybe I am looking for anti-UW angst when it may not be there....
Nah, its there. Maybe Romar is refusing to play us because Woodward won't play us? Maybe their AD is the real issue?

TheGonzagaFactor
08-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Instead of Portland they should go with UNLV, SDSU, or Long Beach St. A good west coast mid major that isn't in the WCC.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Of course it's a sinister move! Name one other Hoops team from a BCS conference, that won it's regular season title, that got left out of the NCAA tournament!...not even a play-in game!

Only BCS conference to go 1-29 against the BCS top 50! That conference and UW's team last year were horrible. Good individual talent, but piss poor coaching and results.

Oregonzagnut
08-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Actually, I am glad Portland is getting the shot. If they had to choose 2 teams from the WCC I am glad they chose the 2 pacific NW teams. That shows some great regional support from a 20 billion$ company that has always celebrated its pacific NW roots.

I am glad they chose the Pilots over the Vikings.