PDA

View Full Version : “'Big P' Karnowski turns down Duke, Kansas, Ohio State for loyal, persistent Gonzaga"

ZagNative
08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice piece from Heinnews (http://www.heinnews.com/basketball/college-basketball/big-p-karnowski-turns-down-duke-kansas-ohio-state-for-loyal-persistent-gonzaga/).
Gonzaga fans better freshen up on their Polish pronunciation as they look forward to the 2012-13 season, when Poland 7-footer Przemyslaw Karnowski arrives in Spokane for his freshman season.

Karnowski is pretty easy but then there is his first name. The 18-year-old Bydgoszcz native tried to pronounce it to heinnews recently and we had to ask some Polish colleagues for the phonetics on it. And this is what they came up with: Pshe-mi-swaaav.

The next question for the big man was easy. “What will the guys at Gonzaga call you?” Karnowski’s answer: “They all call me Big P.”

Yeah that works.

Well, thanks to the commitment and dedication of the Gonzaga coaching staff – especially assistant coach Tommy Lloyd – Zags fans will even get the chance to offer up their best pronunciation attempts.

Karnowski toured the U.S. in April and visited or spoke to California, Duke, Kansas and Ohio State among others. But Big P’s message to those schools was clear: “They asked me if I wanted to come. I told them: ‘You wrote me two weeks ago, and I’ve been in touch with the coaches at Gonzaga for two years.’ It was the main reason.”

Lloyd has been a master in overseas recruiting, bringing in Frenchmen Ronny Turiaf and Mathis Keita and Germans Elias Harris and Mathis Mönninghoff.
When asked what he wants to accomplish with Gonzaga, Big P said: “I know my opponents will be stronger. But I just want to play the best I can. The main goal is to help my team to get better and help my teammates to get better. The main goal for me is to lose weight.”

He repeated his commitment to work on his body, adding: “I have to lose weight and be quicker, faster and stronger. But I think that the United States and Gonzaga are the best option for me to get better.”
Joining Karnowski, his Polish teammate Mateusz Ponitka, Beal and McAdoo in the U17 Worlds All-Tournament Team was Kevin Pangos from the bronze medal-winning Canada team.

Pangos and Karnowski then hooked up again at the 2011 Nike Hoop Summit and kind of built up a friendship, which eventually didn’t hurt in Gonzaga’s recruiting of the center to the Northwest.

“I was in touch with Kevin. He told me everything that’s good and not good. And I think he will be my roommate. It should work,” said Karnowski.

“I met all the players when I was there (for his campus visit). It was such a nice group to practice with but also off the court to be friends.”

titopoet
08-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Boy, is it going to hep with his development playing and practicing with Marcin Gortat for a month. He should be a leg up after this experience. Thanks for posting ZagNative

Bogozags
08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice piece from Heinnews (http://www.heinnews.com/basketball/college-basketball/big-p-karnowski-turns-down-duke-kansas-ohio-state-for-loyal-persistent-gonzaga/).

ZN this is a GREAT find! THANK YOU.

This brings some really good insight of this young man. Another in the super line of Zags.

Big P will sure be easier that actually pronouncing his first name. It will be something to hear when he starts his first game!

hooter73
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Too bad Elho and Heister cant reunite to slaughter the pronunciation.

Zag365
08-14-2012, 03:24 PM
still partial to that suggested nickname from someone on this Board. "Big P" -- sounds like, well, you know . . . .

kclubfounder
08-14-2012, 04:15 PM
still partial to that suggested nickname from someone on this Board. "Big P" -- sounds like, well, you know . . . .

:D

pbriz
08-14-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm starting to think Kevin Pangos may be a head coach at Gonzaga some day. Such a team player helping with the recruitment! I love that kid.

77Zag
08-15-2012, 07:28 AM

Not sure....too many hours at Jack and Dan's, then a dash to the rear of the building?

kylasdad
08-15-2012, 07:37 AM
How would u like a7 footer as your roommate?

Corky
08-15-2012, 10:10 AM
How would u like a7 footer as your roommate?

Would he continue to eat at Taco Bell? That could make things a bit unpleasant.

zaglife
08-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Great piece.... What got my attention is the loyalty. Gives me hope that he will stick around and not follow in the footsteps of Mo and Daye. Would be in his best interest (and GU's) to stay, to expand his game and prepare himself for a lengthy career in the NBA. So looking forward to watching our boys this year.

MDABE80
08-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I have a hunch this kid will work out. His agility is quite good for a 7 footer. Soft touch. Runs like an athlete not like watching an aircraft carrier. Good passer and, if I read him right, he's touch underneath. Now, all we have to do is convince him he's a star in the making if he uses his "bigness" to his advantage.