PDA

View Full Version : Lunardi's 2013 Bracketology, updated August 13

KStyles
08-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Lunardi's second edition of Bracketology (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/year/2013) for the upcoming season is out. The first edition was released on April 16th, in the week following Kentucky's championship game victory. Obviously it doesn't mean much considering practices, much less games, have yet to start, but is still interesting nonetheless.

He has GU (with the WCC autobid) as a 5 seed in Salt Lake City vs. Harvard. BYU as a 12 seed in a play-in game vs. Cal, winner playing in Salt Lake City vs. Creighton. St. Mary's as a 9 seed in San Jose vs. San Diego State.

The top four teams on his S-curve (and the 4 #1 seeds): Louisville, Indiana, UCLA & Kentucky

His accompanying blog post (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/ncbexperts/id/8264603/summer-movement-first-2013-march-madness-bracket-ncb) gives some insight to his bracket & seeding movements.

Upon further review, here are some teams I like a good bit more now than at the end of last season: Michigan Wolverines, Gonzaga Bulldogs, Pittsburgh Panthers, Iowa State Cyclones and Florida State Seminoles.

willandi
08-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Lunardi's second edition of Bracketology (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/year/2013) for the upcoming season is out. The first edition was released on April 16th, in the week following Kentucky's championship game victory. Obviously it doesn't mean much considering practices, much less games, have yet to start, but is still interesting nonetheless.

He has GU (with the WCC autobid) as a 5 seed in Salt Lake City vs. Harvard. BYU as a 12 seed in a play-in game vs. Cal, winner playing in Salt Lake City vs. Creighton. St. Mary's as a 9 seed in San Jose vs. San Diego State.

The top four teams on his S-curve (and the 4 #1 seeds): Louisville, Indiana, UCLA & Kentucky

His accompanying blog post (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/ncbexperts/id/8264603/summer-movement-first-2013-march-madness-bracket-ncb) gives some insight to his bracket & seeding movements.

Don't really understand the UCLA thing. With neither player having played in college, I'd take Special K over Shabazz, based on international experience. To have the Bruins go from last year to the third number 1 seed, without having played a game or practiced, is borderline delusional, but that's just my opinion. I would like the Zags to move up a line or two, to avoid the Louiseville's, but would love to open a can of whoop-ass on just another Ohio State University.

Malastein
08-13-2012, 04:36 PM
This just feels too early to really speculate on. 5 seed is cool to have, but there's plenty of years where that would feel like a slap in the face.

JPtheBeasta
08-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Don't really understand the UCLA thing. With neither player having played in college, I'd take Special K over Shabazz, based on international experience. To have the Bruins go from last year to the third number 1 seed, without having played a game or practiced, is borderline delusional, but that's just my opinion. I would like the Zags to move up a line or two, to avoid the Louiseville's, but would love to open a can of whoop-ass on just another Ohio State University.

I liked "Just Another Ohio St University" :) Never heard that before...

Reborn
08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't like this pick at all, and I hope the Zags do much better this year than a five seed. So far, from what Ive been reading here, most pundits aren't even aware that Olynyk is playing next year. I think the Zags are still flying under the radar at this point and thats actually good.

I am hoping we are having a good enough year next year to land in the West bracket, and preferably a #3 seed. This is a much better route to the Elite 8 and beyond than a 4, 5 seed.

sittingon50
08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
From not even making the Tourney to a #1 seed? Does Jabbar have eligibility left?

NotoriousZ
08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
This just feels too early to really speculate on. 5 seed is cool to have, but there's plenty of years where that would feel like a slap in the face.

The 5 feels like a slap in the face this year. Of course it's way too early to make a bracket that's of any worth, but this is not one of Joe's better attempts IMO.

MickMick
08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I know I commonly drink the Kool Aid this time of year.

Not always though. For example, not the year prior to Harris blowing up as a freshman. I was chalk full of preseason criticism.

This year? I'm cooking it in a spoon and injecting it.

I'm not going to try to predict the crap shoot known as the NCAA tournament. Too many variables and too many things have to fall in place.

I will say that this is the best Zag team since the one that lost to UCLA in a heartbreaker. Possibly better.

I'm not calling them a top 20 team. I'm calling them a top 10 team and I believe I'm being conservative. Regardless, a 4 seed is probably their ceiling due to politics unless they completely blow the OCC and WCC out of the water. A Murray State, last undefeated team, type of season. This isn't your father's WCC and the overall schedule isn't a cakewalk. The odds are against them doing better than a 4.

But......I have not been this high on a Zag team since the days of Morrison, Dickau, or Stepp.

Why?

Because I think there are players on this team that are, or will be that good. I don't see any teams past the top 10 that have anything on GU.

Malastein
08-13-2012, 10:17 PM
The 5 feels like a slap in the face this year. Of course it's way too early to make a bracket that's of any worth, but this is not one of Joe's better attempts IMO.

Most certainly not! Colorado returns it's 3 best players while adding a group of talented freshmen who should more than replace the graduated seniors. I'd be shocked if they weren't a top 25 team by midpoint this season. Then again, my two favorite teams are Gonzaga and Colorado so I'm definitely biased.

I'm hopeful Gonzaga takes a giant step forward, but that's all dependent upon Karnowski and Olynyk being major contributors. I never bought into Olynyk's hype, but I haven't seen him play since he redshirted. Perhaps both will be All-WCC caliber players. If that's the case and Dranginis is a cross of Stepp and Bouldin, then they really could be top 10.

ZagFanInNC
08-14-2012, 01:51 AM
I liked "Just Another Ohio St University" :) Never heard that before...

Me either, and i'm gonna steal it!

ZagFanInNC
08-14-2012, 01:56 AM
I will say that this is the best Zag team since the one that lost to UCLA in a heartbreaker. Possibly better.

This is exactly what I think about this year's team.

And for the record I think that was the best GU team ever to this point.

IMO, because of this teams skill level in the front and back courts they will go deeper than any Zags team has gone.

So ready for the season to start!

willandi
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I liked "Just Another Ohio St University" Never heard that before...

Me either, and i'm gonna steal it!

Thanks! That was actually one I came up with. I was watching the NFL and in the intro's the alumni from there started with an emphatic "THE" OSU. I turned to the wife (she grew up in Ohio but not as a fan of theirs) and said "There's no 'T' in OSU they're just another...and She liked it and I've used it since. Please feel free to steal it. I'll copyright it and get the damages later! LOL

BUT, We are THE Gonzaga University Bulldogs!!!

BobZag
08-14-2012, 11:46 AM
3 and 6 seeds are my favorites. 4 and 5 seeds are okay. Steer clear of the 8 and 9 seeds, also known as the "death seeds."