PDA

View Full Version : Chris Sarbaugh

Angelo Roncalli
08-13-2012, 06:21 AM
It looks like Chris will be transferring, perhaps to a JC. That way he can play this coming season, open himself for recruiting, then have 3 years remaining. He loves the school, his teammates and coaches, but really wants to play, be a starter. Best of luck to a very solid, grounded young man.

hondo
08-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Met Chris a couple of times--really a very nice young man. Don't blame him a bit, all players want to play. Best of luck at your new school.

hooter73
08-13-2012, 07:44 AM
He is one of the most underrated "walk on" players that we could have ever seen. The kid can play and wants the opportunity to, cant blame him a bit.

MickMick
08-13-2012, 08:23 AM
He could play for earlier versions of GU. He could contribute every bit as much as a player like Bankhead did. I would put Chris at a Grant Gibbs level and I mean that as a compliment. Grant has been solid for Creighton. In other words, I think there is a place for Chris to be a solid contributer at the D1 level.

GU recruiting has jumped to a different tier. Some of those old beloved Zags would likely transfer from modern GU as well.

Wishing Sarbaugh the best of luck in his future endeavors.

JPtheBeasta
08-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Best of luck to Chris. There have been a lot of good reports and I was looking forward to seeing the guy that played so well in the state tournament. Our bench isn't particularly deep at the 1/2 spot this year, so I really thought he would see some minutes. If we get an injury to a key guy his presence will really be missed.

madness
08-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Seems like is he left Gonzaga he would still get ability to use the Jesuit "scholarship exchange" policy and go to a smaller program that needs quality players (SCU?). Would finding someong from SCU to come to GU be the only thing holding that up?

Either way, bummed about this information, but will follow Chris when he makes a decision.

gamagin
08-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Met Chris a couple of times--really a very nice young man. Don't blame him a bit, all players want to play. Best of luck at your new school.

I'll be following him.

Something tells me it will be GU's loss. He was one of those kids that was a natural born leader.

And I've not seen much real, steady, reliable, take-charge leadership on the floor, during the games, among the developing Zag teams, in recent seasons -- especially when it was needed.

I hope it emerges somewhere inside this elite corps of athletes, this year. And stays there through thick and thin.

229SintoZag
08-13-2012, 10:03 AM
This sucks. The steady deluge of news about players leaving our program is getting old. I really could not care less whether this was his decision or the staff's, whether it was amicable, etc. We are now at the point where more kids who start with us leave than finish. I cannot accept that this trend is a welcome development.

This is especially upsetting to me because of how close I was to his father. I really was hoping to see him contribute as a Zag on the floor.

Zag 77
08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Too darned bad. I think he could have contributed in many ways, not to mention leadership.

bartruff1
08-13-2012, 11:16 AM
This

I was excited to see him this season, but the reality is that we are a loaded program that can compete at a really high level in recruiting.

I wish him the best. The kids want to play and if they can't play here or they are not going to be satisfied to practice and sit , they need to make a decision best for their very short time as a college basketball player.

BoZarth
08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
This sucks. The steady deluge of news about players leaving our program is getting old. I really could not care less whether this was his decision or the staff's, whether it was amicable, etc. We are now at the point where more kids who start with us leave than finish. I cannot accept that this trend is a welcome development.

This is especially upsetting to me because of how close I was to his father. I really was hoping to see him contribute as a Zag on the floor.

I wish he would stick around too. I wouldn't slot a walk-on moving on as something to get upset about. On a personal side I understand.

We could go back in time to when going to the NCAA's wasn't the normal and kids like Chris played. I prefer the current climate. Too bad he didn't stick it out though.

Go Zags !!!!

jazzdelmar
08-13-2012, 11:48 AM
too bad, sounds like the quintessential program player and zags could use him. still, leaving for all the right reasons and best of luck to him.

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
still, leaving for all the right reasons and best of luck to him.

+1

hooter73
08-13-2012, 12:49 PM
guess we wont hear about homesickness:p

MDABE80
08-13-2012, 01:50 PM
He could play for earlier versions of GU. He could contribute every bit as much as a player like Bankhead did. I would put Chris at a Grant Gibbs level and I mean that as a compliment. Grant has been solid for Creighton. In other words, I think there is a place for Chris to be a solid contributer at the D1 level.

GU recruiting has jumped to a different tier. Some of those old beloved Zags would likely transfer from modern GU as well.

Wishing Sarbaugh the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Probabaly all true. Maybe Chris isn't exotic enough for this new generation of Zag teams. Rarely is someone a hero at home. He'll do well though. Liked him a lot. He just needs a chance. Best wishes to him.

zag buddy
08-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Some lucky team is going to get a very fine player. Good luck Chris--I love your game.

007Zag
08-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing him break the rotation at some point.

Still, best to him wherever he goes. Always a Zag.

007Zag
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
P.S. Bozarth, as many have pointed out, CS is not your typical walk-on. By all accounts, he should be a scholarship D-1 player, but the fact that his late father was a professor allowed him a non-athletic full-ride. From what I've heard, he led his team past GBJ in the state championship a couple years back. I'm bummed whenever anyone transfers out of the program, because I would like to think that GU (both the team and the university) can provide everyone with what they need, but I'm especially bummed when I think that that someone could have actually helped the team at some point. He was not destined to be a pine-rider because of his skill, just maybe because of the logjam in the backcourt.

Reborn
08-13-2012, 05:56 PM
If Chris wants to play in college then it is best that he leaves GU. He most certainly would see limited minutes over the next 3 years. Obviously he wants to play and not sit on the bench. Gonzaga is not the only place to play college basketball. Good luck to Chris. He's going to find a place to play basketball and be successful.

NotoriousZ
08-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Good luck young man, I'll be wishing you all the best.

duper
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Not trying to say he can't play D-1 but SPU a D-2 school would be a good choice. Had a good team last year and are adding Patrick Simmon from WSU and they still have Andy Poling. They also added Shawn Reid a 10 pt a game scorer from Montana State, throw Sarbaugh in that mix and I would think that would be a very formidable D-2 team.

zag67
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Wish Chris the best and hope he finds a team that he can enjoy. He has alot to offer (from watching at state) and feel he will do well on many teams. He has had a great year of practice against some very good players. Good luck and look forward to following you wherever you go.

Mr Vulture
08-14-2012, 10:17 AM
If he wants to play this year, I think he has to go to Division II or he could go JC as well. The JC level is below his skill level in my opinion. If he wants to play Division I ball, JC may be the route to go as he should be able to transfer back to a Division I school without losing a year of eligibility.

Either way, I hope it works out for him as I think he would have built a niche for himself with the Zags and can certainly help a team in the near future.

CDC84
08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
The kid is good enough to receive a full scholarship and see major playing time at a number of places at the D-1 level. I don't blame him whatsoever.

ZagZombie
08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Will be taking his talents to North Idaho College

KStyles
08-14-2012, 03:50 PM
"Sarbaugh has signed with NIC and he’s eligible immediately. He plans on playing one season with the Cardinals and then have three years of eligibility remaining."

Meehan's Blog Post: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/aug/14/sarbaugh-transfers-nic/

gamagin
08-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Wonder what the logic is here. Maybe playing close to home with the idea of trying to improve his game & appeal, then aiming & committing as high as possible.

Maybe even back to GU. All options would remain open this way , in any event.

KStyles
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Wonder what the logic is here. Maybe playing close to home with the idea of trying to improve his game & appeal, then aiming & committing as high as possible.

Maybe even back to GU. All options would remain open this way , in any event.

I'm sure the logic behind a JuCo was so that he could get an Associate Degree and then transfer to a D-I school and be eligible to play immediately. If he went to a 4-year school (D2, D3, etc.), he'd have to sit out again when transferring back to D-I, and he already lost one year of basketball and likely doesn't want to lose another. I'm sure Tommy's call to NIC made the decision as to which JuCo to play for that much easier, as it appears next year is just a stepping stone to the D-I goal a year from now, so why not take the easy choice close to home? Not that it will happen, but it would be very interesting if he came back to GU, I bet that hasn't happened very many times.

gamagin
08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm sure the logic behind a JuCo was so that he could get an Associate Degree and then transfer to a D-I school and be eligible to play immediately. If he went to a 4-year school (D2, D3, etc.), he'd have to sit out again when transferring back to D-I, and he already lost one year of basketball and likely doesn't want to lose another. I'm sure Tommy's call to NIC made the decision as to which JuCo to play for that much easier, as it appears next year is just a stepping stone to the D-I goal a year from now, so why not take the easy choice close to home? Not that it will happen, but it would be very interesting if he came back to GU, I bet that hasn't happened very many times.

thanks. I googled cooperation and agreements between GU and NIC in academics and there are plenty of such things out there.

Since CS can go to GU anytime he wants to, I suppose he could take classes at either school and get credit at either school. It's a unique situation but it's there and in his case, it appears it could swing both ways.

thespywhozaggedme
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Will be taking his talents to North Idaho College

Interesting......me thinks that puts Boise State on the short list.

Angelo Roncalli
08-14-2012, 08:17 PM

He doesn't even have to get an AA degree; he was a qualifier (easily) coming out of high school. He wants to play this year and then play three years of D-1 ball.

Blitzing-Zag
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Bummer, best of luck to him at North Idaho.

Although he was a walk-on, seeing all these players transfer is starting to get to me.

KStyles
08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
He doesn't even have to get an AA degree; he was a qualifier (easily) coming out of high school. He wants to play this year and then play three years of D-1 ball.

Right, and in order to do that, he'll need to get his AA degree, otherwise he'll sit out his second first year of D-I ball, and be eligible to play for only the last two. Pretty sure you have to get your AA degree to transfer back to D-I without sitting out. Has nothing to do with high school academics.

KStyles
08-15-2012, 07:47 AM
The following bylaws apply to student-athletes who initially enrolled full time in a collegiate institution before August 1, 2012.

14.5.6 4-2-4 College Transfers. A student who transfers from a four-year college to a two-year college and
then to the certifying institution shall complete one academic year of residence at the certifying institution prior
to engaging in intercollegiate competition, unless: (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

(a) The student has completed an average of at least 12-semester or -quarter hours of transferable-degree credit,
with a cumulative minimum grade-point average of 2.000, acceptable toward any baccalaureate degree program
at the certifying institution for each term of full-time attendance at the two-year college following
transfer from the four-year college most recently attended; (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

(b) One calendar year has elapsed since the student’s departure from the previous four-year college (one year since
the date that the student-athlete takes formal action with the appropriate institutional authorities required for
all students to indicate that the student-athlete is leaving the previous four-year institution and no longer will
be attending classes); and (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

(c) The student has graduated from the two-year college (see Bylaws 14.5.4.5.1 and 14.5.4.5.3.2). (Revised:
1/10/90, 2/16/00, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

--

I suppose there's a waiver for just about everything when transferring in the NCAA, but generally speaking, he'll need a (AA) degree from NIC.

cjm720
08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Right, and in order to do that, he'll need to get his AA degree, otherwise he'll sit out his second first year of D-I ball, and be eligible to play for only the last two. Pretty sure you have to get your AA degree to transfer back to D-I without sitting out. Has nothing to do with high school academics.

Should be doable since he would have finished his second year of college.

KStyles
08-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Should be doable since he would have finished his second year of college.

Easily, as Angelo mentioned, he's a bright kid.

Zag 77
08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
When I was a kid growing up in Spokane, we used to call SCC "Advanced High School." I suppose JC and CC education is better now, but nobody should worry that NIC is going to be too hard for Chris. He was a good student at G-Prep and he should be able to sail through NIC standing on his head.

I only worry that academically NIC may not do much for him, but it is probably just going to be a year of pre-requisites anyway.

duper
08-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Part a) of the above post, to me says all he has to do is be a full time student 12 credits and earn at least a 2.0 gpa.

Part b) says must be away from former 4 year school for one full year.

If you want an example James Watson from WSU, reshirted at WSU, played as a RS freshmen for WSU, played JC ball, then played for Kansas State before an injury ended his season. Was let go the following year I believe for team rules violations. http://http://kstatesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/watson_james00.html

KStyles
08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Part a) of the above post, to me says all he has to do is be a full time student 12 credits and earn at least a 2.0 gpa.

Part b) says must be away from former 4 year school for one full year.

If you want an example James Watson from WSU, reshirted at WSU, played as a RS freshmen for WSU, played JC ball, then played for Kansas State before an injury ended his season. Was let go the following year I believe for team rules violations. http://http://kstatesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/watson_james00.html

And Part C says he must graduate (if he wants to avoid sitting out a year from competition).

I'm not sure I follow your point. There are semicolons between parts a), b) and c), indicating a list. He doesn't get to pick & choose which of the terms he meets, unless he wants to sit out another year of competition.

duper
08-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I believe it is not all of the above it is either or. It happens all the time. One year at JC is not uncommon.

Another more high profile example would be Mark Mclaughlin who was going to play at UW this year after a JC year. I don't know for sure but from what has been posted about this young man I doubt he got his AA.

HillBillyZag
08-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Zag77, I'm not being thin skinned, but as one who attended a Community College for two years before transferring to a four year school, your comment could be misconstrued as a put down to the many bright, hardworking, and successful people who, by choice or circumstance have utilized one of the truly successful educational opportunities offered to our Citizens. I imagine many on this board have friends and/or family attending SCC or SFCC.I guess what I'm saying is ?, don't make it sound so elitest.

KStyles
08-15-2012, 10:25 AM
I believe it is not all of the above it is either or. It happens all the time. One year at JC is not uncommon.

Another more high profile example would be Mark Mclaughlin who was going to play at UW this year after a JC year. I don't know for sure but from what has been posted about this young man I doubt he got his AA.

Mark McLaughlin (http://twitter.com/Markiemac1) graduated from Tacoma Community College on June 16th, 2012 (http://www.tacomacc.edu/abouttcc/newsandevents/graduation/) (I'm sure if you watch the video, you can even see him walk across the stage).

http://i.imgur.com/75PTF.png

What about Cam Newton, who attended Florida for 2 years, attended Blinn College (Tx.) for a year, and then attended and player right away at Auburn?

Newton graduated from Blinn in the fall and will begin spring semester classes at Auburn.

http://www.blinn.edu/news/2010/Jan/Cam_commits_Auburn.html

One year at JC isn't uncommon at all. Returning to D-I and playing right away without meeting all three of those requirements (including having graduated from the JuCo) is extremely uncommon.

hooter73
08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
When I was a kid growing up in Spokane, we used to call SCC "Advanced High School." I suppose JC and CC education is better now, but nobody should worry that NIC is going to be too hard for Chris. He was a good student at G-Prep and he should be able to sail through NIC standing on his head.

I only worry that academically NIC may not do much for him, but it is probably just going to be a year of pre-requisites anyway.

I partied at North Idaho a few times. I love that place, hard core rednecks in the welding program know how to have a good time. My buddy couldnt hack it there and he was a decent student, its no pushover. Coming from a former D1 school college adviser standpoint, and now working in a trade industry, for your common students Community and Junior Colleges and trade schools should be the primary option for high school graduates, then they can look to four year degrees for further education if it then is of a benefit.

Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs is a great proponent of closing the skills gap and he did a lecture on it for the Ed Sessions down in Boise earlier this year...if fact, to keep us total off topic, here is a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxzNojo-y4Y

duper
08-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Mark McLaughlin (http://twitter.com/Markiemac1) graduated from Tacoma Community College on June 16th, 2012 (http://www.tacomacc.edu/abouttcc/newsandevents/graduation/) (I'm sure if you watch the video, you can even see him walk across the stage).

http://i.imgur.com/75PTF.png

What about Cam Newton, who attended Florida for 2 years, attended Blinn College (Tx.) for a year, and then attended and player right away at Auburn?

http://www.blinn.edu/news/2010/Jan/Cam_commits_Auburn.html

One year at JC isn't uncommon at all. Returning to D-I and playing right away without meeting all three of those requirements (including having graduated from the JuCo) is extremely uncommon.
I was completely 100% WRONG. I was trying to prove you wrong and found on page 23 of the NCAA transfer rules that I was wrong!!! Sorry to have wasted your time.

SteelZag
08-15-2012, 08:47 PM
All I know about the difference in schools is remembering back 30 plus years. I completed 2 years at Gonzaga and transferred to EWU. I had sophmore plus credits that all transferred. The thing that really blew me away was some credits from a required stats class as a freshman. The credits I got from GU in stats fulfilled my requirement for an upper level (Quanitative Analysis) course, that was required for my major. The thing that stands out for me is that I had to take a pre-requisite course (finite math) for a course in which they had already given me credit. I did receive a very good grade in that class and do posess a degree in Econ so I guess I can't complain.

DixieZag
08-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Can someone explain to me why they believe that GU would be Chris' number one choice if he blows up this year at NIC.

All that I see is that Chris wants to work on his game by PLAYING. Sure, he could get offers from all over if his play warrants, but if his game is good enough to PLAY for 3 years at GU - I would EXPECT him to come right back, and since he doesn't need an athletic scholly, even that issue doesn't come into play???????????????????????

KStyles
08-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Can someone explain to me why they believe that GU would be Chris' number one choice if he blows up this year at NIC.

All that I see is that Chris wants to work on his game by PLAYING. Sure, he could get offers from all over if his play warrants, but if his game is good enough to PLAY for 3 years at GU - I would EXPECT him to come right back, and since he doesn't need an athletic scholly, even that issue doesn't come into play???????????????????????

I don't believe anyone ever said they thought GU would be his number one choice after this year at JuCo. I'd fully expect him to entertain all offers (nobody has any idea what those offers will be at this point) and go to the school where he feels he'll play and be able to contribute the most to the team. It was mentioned that GU could possibly be that school, but I really doubt we'll see him return. Next spring is a long way off, we'll just have to wait and see.

Just_An_Old_Zag
08-17-2012, 04:42 PM
i thought he would carry on the hair tradition...

this is a serious loss

good luck and may your journey bring you success and happiness:cheers:

GUnawinit
08-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Great points by all!

Length and scoring has proven it's worth time and time again....

IF GU truly wants to win it all...Chris's spot opens that for a player which brings those attributes!

Good luck young man!

bballbeachbum
08-18-2012, 08:01 AM
definitely a kid I was looking forward to following and rooting for in a Zag uni, having heard so much great stuff about him and his family's connection/impact with Gonzaga and your community, his high school career exploits, etc.

but none of this surprises anymore does it? kind of numbed to it...a different ball game today for better or worse

of course best of luck to the young man and hope to get to catch some of his career with my own eyes

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-18-2012, 09:39 AM

I suspect that he would stay and play at Gonzaga, if there was playing time available. I'm not sure that there ever will be. He could be a viable backup player for this upcoming season, but he'd be competing against David Stockton and Kyle Dranginis for minutes as a backup guard and against Mike Hart and Drew Barnham for minutes as a backup wing. He'd probably be the 11th or 12th player on the roster in terms of minutes played. That is not to say that he couldn't contribute, but he might not play in every game and would probably play limited minutes in those games he does play.

By transferring, he can play as a starter for NIJC and try to earn a scholarship to another Division I school where he might have a bigger role. I don't fault him for that. His worst case scenario would seem to be that he could play a season or two as a starter at NJIC. If he fails to earn a decent scholarship offer from another school, there doesn't seem to be anything that would prevent him from transferring right back to Gonzaga for the last two to three years of his eligibility. I suspect that Coach Few and co. would welcome him back with open arms.

Baldwinzag
08-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Wish him the best; tremendous kid and teammate.

Above all else, perplexed at the decision of passing up a *FREE* 4 yr education at Gonzaga University ~~ $140,000+ of tuition expenses, covered, plus the elite athletic experience of being a Zag.

Unless he was transferring to an Ivy League of some sort, just don't quite understand the long-term behind it, yet sometimes immediate PT is everything to a 19 yr old...

gamagin
08-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Wish him the best; tremendous kid and teammate.

Above all else, perplexed at the decision of passing up a *FREE* 4 yr education at Gonzaga University ~~ $140,000+ of tuition expenses, covered, plus the elite athletic experience of being a Zag.

Unless he was transferring to an Ivy League of some sort, just don't quite understand the long-term behind it, yet sometimes immediate PT is everything to a 19 yr old...

I don't know the rules of GU's schollie program for children of employees, but, imo, CS could return to GU and get his doctorate, or, perhaps, attend law school, or anything else at any time and and enjoy this benefit. Depends on the limits, if there are any.

Given his background, I can see him returning to GU someday after basketball and doing just that, perhaps one day even teaching there, like his very popular dad did.

That said, the value remains. Don't know if it has an expiration date.

The scholarship to play somewhere else would also be paid for by the school making the offer. Just to make this even more complex, GU has reciprocal deals all over the country, and that might be a factor, too, as to where CS might wind up, academically.

The world outside sports is also his oyster, I believe.

KStyles
08-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Seems reasonable for a 19 year-old kid to pass up the 'elite zag athletic experience' in favor of a non-zag athletic experience if the latter offers 25-30 minutes of PT per game, in addition to likely the same '*FREE*' education at whatever school he ends up transferring to after this year.

“I loved Gonzaga, loved the people there, but I only have five years to play four years of basketball and I want to take advantage of it the best I can,” Sarbaugh said.

JPtheBeasta
08-20-2012, 12:26 AM
The scholarship to play somewhere else would also be paid for by the school making the offer. Just to make this even more complex, GU has reciprocal deals all over the country, and that might be a factor, too, as to where CS might wind up, academically.

The world outside sports is also his oyster, I believe.

What is a "reciprocal deal?" I apologize if I missed the subtext, but any help clarifying the above would be great. Is it that an employee can attend certain other partner schools for free?

Zag Pedro
08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Here is some information that may be helpful. Gonzaga employees have a benefit for waiving Gonzaga tuition. It can cover the employee, the employee's spouse and the employee's dependents. Currently, the employee can attend any degree program but law (unlimited # of degrees) , the spouse any degree program but law (limited to one degree), and dependent waiver is for undergraduate courses only. The spouse and dependent waiver are phased in over a five year period so that it is a 100% tuition waiver only after approximately five years of full-time employment.

Gonzaga also offers two different tuition exchange programs. These are for dependents only and the dependent must be eligible for GU's program. The older of the programs is the exchange with the other Jesuit schools. The newer program expands the number of available schools to over 500. Both of these programs have additional criteria and do operate at some level on a "you should be taking in as many as you are sending out" basis. And it goes without saying that some schools are practically impossible to exchange with.

Chris's specific situation is unique as that his waiver for tuition at Gonzaga comes from the (sad) fact that his father died while a member of the University's ranked faculty. I am not sure of the exact policy at the time of Tim's passing but I would guess that Chris had a 100% waiver of his tuition at GU. Note though that it is tuition only; room, board, books and fees would not be covered by this waiver. Last year those could have amounted to six or seven thousand dollars. Furthermore, as a walk-on he would have to pay some athletic-related expenses such as the cost of his required physical as well as team meals that would otherwise be assigned to his scholarship meal plan. Not a lot but a ways from a full-ride.

Oregonzagnut
08-20-2012, 12:26 PM
the saying "I can't blame him"

The "I can't blame him" has always stuck me as a way to put the "blame" elsewhere. But he is the one who makes the decision, not anyone else. So, what if I blame him? It is his choice, it is in his best interest, and it isn't anyone else's fault. Blame is such a negative word and it implies Few or other players were to blame.

This post was tongue in cheek. But I noticed many people were not blaming him. Just sayin'.

I'd love to see Sarbaugh go to a Div1 school and succeed like Gibbs did. Gibb's injury set him back in the PT at Gonzaga so I blame the injury on Gibb's departure. Timing, luck and the fact that once a team commits to choosing a path when there is a fork in the road, there often is no looking back. Hindsight is always 20/20 and IMO, it would not surprise me if Sarbaugh will have more opportunities as a Gonzaga transfer than he did right out of high school.

LongIslandZagFan
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
His father was a friend of mine. I wish Chris nothing but the best and hope he plays D1 ball.

gamagin
08-20-2012, 02:25 PM
What is a "reciprocal deal?" I apologize if I missed the subtext, but any help clarifying the above would be great. Is it that an employee can attend certain other partner schools for free?

I don't know what CS' specifics are, but yes, reciprocal means another school (in my experience, usually Jesuit) agrees to accept & will honor a Gonzaga student's scholarship. In turn, a student from that other school could attend Gonzaga on the same kind of tradeoff from his/her school.

Whether this is for a year, a semester or just how long these deals run, I do not know. All I know is they exist.

I think GU in Florence has a variation on this: Santa Clara sends a student to Florence, the student pays tuition (or uses his/her scholarship credit) and gets academic credit vis a vis Santa Clara, PLUS pays the extra cost of attending Florence to GU.

Gonzaga students (scholarship or otherwise) are combining their course works to take classes at SIRTI (across the river from the GU campus) even though the classes themselves may be given by teachers who are employees of Washington State University, Eastern, Whitworth (and maybe even the U of W).

It goes on.

I don't know about employees deals, which you refer to in your post. this has to do with the children of employees who qualify.

JPtheBeasta
08-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for both of those informative posts. I was not aware of that before.