• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spudzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Other recruiting notes

Lewis Jackson said he has not communicated with the Gonzaga staff since the Zags took another point guard commit last week and therefore could not tell us if he the school will continue to pursue him. Jackson says the Gonzaga option had some extra appeal because he has some family out in the Seattle area.

• BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Few watching Demetri Goodson. Lewis Jackson not hearing from Gonzaga.

2 + 2 =
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Nevtelen
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

It just seems odd to me that Few would still be watching Goodson at this point. We have Gibbs, who is pretty clearly a PG not an SG for 2008. We're (seemingly) really invested in trying to get good guards in the loaded 2009 class. Why would the staff still be interested in guys like Goodson and (perhaps) Jackson? I don't get it. It seems like having more guards in the 2008 class would jeopardize our chances with 2009 targets. OTOH, nothing wrong with looking at the menu and keeping up with potential recruits, whether or not you intend to order.

Comment

• JLGutrocks
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Any news on Dashan Harris? This kid would be a coup d'etat if it ever materialized. Just wondering. He's at the top of my (not that I have any influence) list.

Thanks guys,

JL
        “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Comment

• spudzag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Harris would be a major coup. His recruitment would most likely impact Clark's decision so Few may have decided to not pursue Harris given his position with Clarke. Just my guess. Harris or Clarke will impact the thinking of the potential 09 guards, but I don't think Few will hold back getting the best players when he can get them.

Pursuing Goodson seems a bit odd unless Few knows there will be another scholarship spot opening up with an early departure. Not that they are the end all, but looking at scouting reports Goodson wouldn't seem to be at a level that would deter any 09 guys, an would likely struggle for playing time in the long run.

That said, Few has demonstrated time and again he has a plan and I have full confidence in him. Fun to watch and speculate.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Re: Goodson. If Pargo bolts to the NBA, we'll have Bouldin and Gibbs to play PG. A lightning quick PG who defends like crazy would fit nicely. My guess is, if we don't get Clarke, we'll try hard for Goodson. If we get Clarke, likely no Goodson. Again, that's just my read on things.

Meanwhile--

[Jared] Cunningham, a 6-foot-3, 170-pound point guard from San Leandro High School, didn't have the game he is capable of having but there is a lot to like with the class of 2009 prospect. His class doesn't have a lot of depth at the point and his size is a major plus. Cunningham is a smooth operator and good with the ball in his hands. His perimeter game was off in the morning defeat.

Cunningham is being recruited from all levels. He said he has heard from Arizona State, Arizona, Gonzaga, Portland, California and UC Santa Barbara.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

"New Mexico, Gonzaga, Arizona State, Memphis, Kentucky and Kansas are the schools Rotnei would like to visit in the fall," he [Rotnei's father]added. "He's already been to Kansas and Kentucky, so he would like to visit some other schools before making his decision. The plan right now is to either visit Kansas or Kentucky for Late Night, but we haven't made a decision about that."

Comment

• pbriz
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Apr 2007

looks like it may be...

one guard for the '09 class seeing as most on this board believe that 2 guards will be signed for the '08 class. I say the staff has a good chance with Rudd, Cunningham, and Gaddy in the mix. I think the staff is doing the right thing though for pushign for Gaddy. Rudd and Cunningham may end up being too difficult to pull from California especially with Rudd already showing interest for USC....

Few plus 2 assistants watching Gaddy tho..... now that is HIGH priority

Morgan has always been a fav of mine since his recruitment started so I would be completely satisfied with Brock (PF), Morgan (PF/C), and Gaddy (PG)
                It's F4 or bust.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

Re: Goodson. If Pargo bolts to the NBA, we'll have Bouldin and Gibbs to play PG. A lightning quick PG who defends like crazy would fit nicely. My guess is, if we don't get Clarke, we'll try hard for Goodson. If we get Clarke, likely no Goodson. Again, that's just my read on things.
                  Hadn't really thought about this before. Assuming Pargo leaves after this year (which I feel is a good possiblity) we'll have no one left to guard a "quick" guard in 08 (assuming we don't get Goodson or someone similar). Those 08 and 09 teams really will have no quickness on them whatsoever. Gaddy or whoever would be freshman and probably wouldn't get a ton of time. Maybe we're starting to see why Few is looking more closely at some of the quicker guards in this class.

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Goodson is very similar to Pargo. A bit smaller but bulky, strong, quick and the same type of tough attitude. Goodson was a sought-after DB in football.

Comment

• EL MUSTACIO
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2007

But hes picked basketball as his sport?
                      Master: Tell me, what's better than beating a Tar Heel?

Apprentice: Oh, that's an easy one teach. Beating a Husky

Comment

• BobZag
                        Dark Lord of the Zag
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by EL MUSTACIO View Post
                        But hes picked basketball as his sport?
                        Yes. Like Tinsley, however, he stopped playing football last year. His love is basketball. He could've been a Big-12 DB if his heart was in football instead. His brother plays for A&M.

Comment

• BBskorer
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                          Yes. Like Tinsley, however, he stopped playing football last year. His love is basketball. He could've been a Big-12 DB if his heart was in football instead. His brother plays for A&M.
                          Wow, that Goodson?! I had to look it up, but Mike is his name. I remember watching a couple of A&M's games last season. Absolute stallion of a running back.
                          ..here..comes..the..BOOM!!!

Comment

• spudzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                            Few watching Demetri Goodson. Lewis Jackson not hearing from Gonzaga.

2 + 2 =
                            This article seems to confirm the direction;

Stay up to date with all the Minnesota Golden Gophers sports news, recruiting, transfers, and more at 247Sports.com

Beleive that Scout is still free.

Comment

• BobZag
                              Dark Lord of the Zag
                              • Jan 2007

Demetri is extremely under-rated. I just watched video clips of him (basketball and football) and he is a stud. Very quick, penetrates real well, kicks it out or finishes, plays defense. He's quite physical, too, which might stem from his football days. In short, he reminds me so much of Pargo. I'm not sure why he hasn't gotten as much ink as, say, Dashan Harris, but he looks every bit as good. He broke his pinky finger a while back and that kept him out of the limelight.

I'll predict Demetri Goodson will be playing in a Zags uni in K2 in 2008-09. Write it down.

Gibbs = Santangelo/Stepp
                              Goodson = Q/Pargo

Comment

Working...
                              X