PDA

View Full Version : OT - McLaughlin leaving UW

tobizag
08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
via Twitter:

UW Men's Basketball ‏@UW_MBB

Coach Romar: "Mark McLaughlin has decided to leave the University of Washington to pursue other opportunities...

BobZag
08-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Break out Ricky Nelson's "Traveling Man."

sittingon50
08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
the kid. Hasn't seen any PT since he got there!!

ZAGGED OUT
08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
the kid. Hasn't seen any PT since he got there!!

Maybe because he only transferred there this off season? Maybe?

cjm720
08-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Interesting to say the least.

Wonder if we're back in it?

BroncoZAG615
08-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Interesting to say the least.

Wonder if we're back in it?

Absolutely no way

Angelo Roncalli
08-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Absolutely no way

Word, +gigazillion

I was hoping this kid had changed his ways. Apparently not. The only person standing in the way of Mark McLaughlin having a successful collegiate basketball career has been Mark McLaughlin.

hooter73
08-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Just long enough to get a feel for the school, program/department and players...

what is this, his fourth or fifth school? ive lost count.

sittingon50
08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
We need an emoticon that shows something sailing over one's head. Mods?

ZAGGED OUT
08-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Emotion understood lol, now I see the hidden sarcasm. Apologies

gamagin
08-10-2012, 12:55 PM
We need an emoticon that shows something sailing over one's head. Mods?

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/pictures

sittingon50
08-10-2012, 01:17 PM
No apologies necessary, ZO. I usually don't insert *sarcasm* whereas many others do. 1/2 on me.

BobZag
08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Word, +gigazillion

I was hoping this kid had changed his ways. Apparently not. The only person standing in the way of Mark McLaughlin having a successful collegiate basketball career has been Mark McLaughlin.

His mother is a close 2nd.

Zagdawg
08-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Some of the talk around the UW campus was he wanted a better shot at making the dance rather than the NIT or some other unknown tourney-- so he is seriously considering transfering to a better program like Chicago State to improve his dancing opportunity.

:)

Zag365
08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
he roams around, around

McLaughlin, 22, had two years of eligibility and was expected to compete for a spot in the rotation if not a starter's role.

However, his UW career ends before it ever truly began.

"I just never would have envisioned this," TCC coach Carl Howell said. "I'm as shocked as everyone else."

Without McLaughlin, Washington has no incoming recruits. The Huskies signed transfers Perris Blackwell (University of San Francisco) and Gilles Dierickx (Florida International), but both will redshirt this season due to NCAA transfer rules..

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2018891000_mark_mclaughlin_2.html

Bogozags
08-10-2012, 08:55 PM
His mother is a close 2nd.

BZ please explain how the "mother" is involved. Is he a "Mama's boy" so to speak, where his mother makes his decisions?? If that is the case, why would we have even recruited him? No doubt, if his head was on straight, he could have solidified the SF spot on this team.

Nevtelen
08-10-2012, 10:23 PM
It'll be kinda interesting in a watching-a-car-wreck kinda way to see where he ends up. You can't think any high major (or even most mid-majors) will touch the kid with a ten-foot pole at this point. It'll take a desperate coach and program to take him at this stage.

Zagcity
08-11-2012, 01:45 AM
It'll take a desperate coach and program to take him at this stage.

I'm thinking the University of San Francisco and Rex Walters would make a good fit. ;)

Kiddwell
08-11-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm thinking the University of San Francisco and Rex Walters would make a good fit. ;)

Having him land in the West Coast Conference would be interesting. (On the positive side, here's hoping he learns a few "life lessons" through all this, matures, earns a college degree, etc.) :bishop_smiley:

:]

Nevtelen
08-11-2012, 10:40 AM

I get that that was a joke, but I wouldn't be stunned if it happened. I really think USF is the type of place he's going to end up - a mid-major that is looking at the bottom of their conference and is willing to take a big risk to attempt to get better results. Either that, or a low-major that is consistently bad or mediocre in their conference and is willing to risk a lot to get a player who is good enough to maybe be the piece that gets them to a conference championship.

gu03alum
08-11-2012, 11:30 AM
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/pictures

Thank you for this ^ Gamagin

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/homer/HomerSimpson36.gif

willandi
08-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Having him land in the West Coast Conference would be interesting. (On the positive side, here's hoping he learns a few "life lessons" through all this, matures, earns a college degree, etc.) :bishop_smiley:

:]

If another college takes him, he will not have learned any "life lessons". I hope that he ends up flipping burgers for a year and realizes what he threw away. At that point he might make a Euro or Asian type squad, and feel like he wants to play. Just going school to school doesn't teach him anything but that HE is calling the shots. He doesn't need a degree, he needs a spanking!

ZagSports
08-12-2012, 02:56 PM
The kid did not choose to leave... he made a poor decision and got in trouble for that. We will leave it at that.

It was one of those situations where the coach gave him the option to walk with his head high, or be kicked off the team.

That is all that needs to be said about this, stop bashing the kid, the thread should end here

willandi
08-12-2012, 04:13 PM
The kid did not choose to leave... he made a poor decision and got in trouble for that. We will leave it at that.

It was one of those situations where the coach gave him the option to walk with his head high, or be kicked off the team.

That is all that needs to be said about this, stop bashing the kid, the thread should end here

You might be right about the coach, but this isn't the first bad decision by this kid. What do you suggest be done to help him start making right decisions? Just not talking about it isn't a solution, or the answer. If this was the first such decision it would be different.

MDABE80
08-12-2012, 04:58 PM
We tend to criticize this kid and moreso when it's UW. I suspect there are some serious abnormalites within him. I don't think it helps to demean him. SO he's leaving again and again and again and.........

He's not having a stable time in his life. Something is seriously wrong. Not much left to say on this. Is there? I feel sorry for the boy. Upbringing iffy....and multiple problems and not just in basketball. Pray for him but to continue criticizing is kind of unbecoming. Just my O.

hondo
08-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Nicely said Abe.
thank you.

Bogozags
08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
We tend to criticize this kid and moreso when it's UW. I suspect there are some serious abnormalites within him. I don't think it helps to demean him. SO he's leaving again and again and again and.........

He's not having a stable time in his life. Something is seriously wrong. Not much left to say on this. Is there? I feel sorry for the boy. Upbringing iffy....and multiple problems and not just in basketball. Pray for him but to continue criticizing is kind of unbecoming. Just my O.

There go I but for the grace of God...

willandi
08-12-2012, 08:23 PM
When I was 17 and a senior in high school, I made some bad decisions that cost me scholarship offers from a few schools in golf. I ended up having to join the Navy to avoid being drafted. It was 1966, and I was 17. It took several years to come to terms with my culpability in the matter, and to finally become happy with who I became.
This young man has an obvious talent in Basketball. My intentions are not to demean him, but to hope that he discovers a path to become happy with his future self. Part of that is accepting where he is at and progressing. It sounds as if he has not yet come to that realization.
He is fortunate that he probably can play overseas, if no domestic school will take a chance on him. The question is, 'Does that help him become a person that will become somebody that he is happy with'? If his focus is entirely on basketball, and he doesn't make the NBA, he could end up as a bitter person, and if he doesn't accept his part in the process, he could blame everyone else.
He doesn't NEED a college degree. He needs to discover which way to go in life. He has made, and continues to make bad choices. I am not demeaning him or piling on, just observing the facts. I hope he discovers a path that enables him to become somebody that he is able to live with. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate.

Bogozags
08-13-2012, 12:37 PM
When I was 17 and a senior in high school, I made some bad decisions that cost me scholarship offers from a few schools in golf. I ended up having to join the Navy to avoid being drafted. It was 1966, and I was 17. It took several years to come to terms with my culpability in the matter, and to finally become happy with who I became.
This young man has an obvious talent in Basketball. My intentions are not to demean him, but to hope that he discovers a path to become happy with his future self. Part of that is accepting where he is at and progressing. It sounds as if he has not yet come to that realization.
He is fortunate that he probably can play overseas, if no domestic school will take a chance on him. The question is, 'Does that help him become a person that will become somebody that he is happy with'? If his focus is entirely on basketball, and he doesn't make the NBA, he could end up as a bitter person, and if he doesn't accept his part in the process, he could blame everyone else.
He doesn't NEED a college degree. He needs to discover which way to go in life. He has made, and continues to make bad choices. I am not demeaning him or piling on, just observing the facts. I hope he discovers a path that enables him to become somebody that he is able to live with. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate.

Very well said...sometimes, some of us just take many more years to grow up than others. I always wished I had been a "normal" kid growing up in the 60's and envied those that had focus, good role models and solidly based friends.