• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiddwell
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

If not the Zags, then who?

Was thinking about that 11-straight-years league championship run. We almost caught UCLA at 13. The Zags begin anew this upcoming season. If Coach Few stays put (and the quality recruits keep on coming), we might still surpass UCLA's 13-straight by, oh, 2025-'26.

Can't think of any other school, in any conference anywhere, that has a chance equivalent to ours. In fact, Kiddwell can't think of any school besides GU that has a chance at all.

:]

<Talkin' Division I only here>
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!
  • cggonzaga
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Nice thought and I hope it comes to fruition for the program. However I'd be a little surprised if Few coaches past the age of 60. Just seems like the kind of guy that doesnt dig the limelight that much and would rather be fly fishing and enjoying his family before the boys get too much older. Then again I could be wrong and he could be aiming for the wins record and coach to 80! I wonder how far Coach K will put it out of reach?

Comment

• krozman
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2008

If you do what you love........
      Krozman
      GU student 1996-2000
      Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
        Administrator
        • Apr 2009

I doubt we'll see another streak like that one in the WCC. The league has gotten a lot better top to bottom over the past few years. The addition of BYU, coupled with the St. Mary's emergence makes winning a league championship much harder. It is possible that BYU will leave and/or that St. Mary's will fall back into the pack with the rest of the league, particularly if Coach Bennett decides to leave. Unless that happens, I can't see another team dominating this league as thoroughly as Gonzaga did for the past thirteen years.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to start a new streak in 2012-2013.
        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• bullzag23
          Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2015
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
          Was thinking about that 11-straight-years league championship run. We almost caught UCLA at 13. The Zags begin anew this upcoming season. If Coach Few stays put (and the quality recruits keep on coming), we might still surpass UCLA's 13-straight by, oh, 2025-'26.

Can't think of any other school, in any conference anywhere, that has a chance equivalent to ours. In fact, Kiddwell can't think of any school besides GU that has a chance at all.

<Talkin' Division I only here>
          Kansas....
          A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
          Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
          Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Comment

• 75Zag
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by bullzag23 View Post
            Kansas....
            Kentucky?

Go Bulldogs!
            Do not go gentle into that good night,
            Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
            Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• awberke
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
              Kentucky?

Go Bulldogs!
              Kansas

Comment

• titopoet
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2008

Some context: Kansas is running at 8 straight. That is with striking range.
                ----
                Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• JAGzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

Read the caption and thought someone stole the cookie from the cookie jar ...

Comment

• Kiddwell
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by titopoet View Post
                    Some context: Kansas is running at 8 straight. That is with striking range.
                    Didn't realize that Kansas has eight in a row. Sure seems that the appeal of Texas would give them a fair chance to out-recruit, out-play the Jayhawks. The flip side is that the Longhorns were only 9-9 in conference last season.

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• MJGoGaels
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                      It is possible that ...St. Mary's will fall back into the pack with the rest of the league, particularly if Coach Bennett decides to leave. Unless that happens, I can't see another team dominating this league as thoroughly as Gonzaga did for the past thirteen years.

I hope I'm wrong.
                      When I was young I use to say things like that about GU... before and after Few arrived. Now, it's a only a theoretical possibility that GU would regress to .500 ball ever. Some day, hopefully, people will say that about the Gaels regardless of who is in charge of SMC basketball - the Gaels will be contenders because it's the Tradition.
                      On to Victory!

Comment

• NorCalCoug
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Jan 2011

Good luck with that.... I would never suggest that BYU will go on a conference championship tear in the WCC but I'd wager a bet with ANYBODY that BYU will win at least 1 WCC bball championship in the next 13 years.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by NorCalCoug View Post
                          Good luck with that.... I would never suggest that BYU will go on a conference championship tear in the WCC but I'd wager a bet with ANYBODY that BYU will win at least 1 WCC bball championship in the next 13 years.
                          I would say so, too, and would really expect you to win more than that. Fortunes can change so quickly, and there is a reason why the Zags' run was so rare.

That said, suck it :] Go Zags !

Comment

• bartruff1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

yup

Originally posted by bullzag23 View Post
                            Kansas....
                            ....they actually have a realistic shot at it...

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by NorCalCoug View Post
                              I would agree with that, assuming that y'all stick around that long. We're hoping that you guys settle in for many years of great competition.

I'll also wager a frosty beverage that you won't get your first WCC championship during the next two years.
                              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

Working...
                              X