PDA

View Full Version : If not the Zags, then who?

Kiddwell
08-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Was thinking about that 11-straight-years league championship run. We almost caught UCLA at 13. The Zags begin anew this upcoming season. If Coach Few stays put (and the quality recruits keep on coming), we might still surpass UCLA's 13-straight by, oh, 2025-'26.

Can't think of any other school, in any conference anywhere, that has a chance equivalent to ours. In fact, Kiddwell can't think of any school besides GU that has a chance at all.

:]

<Talkin' Division I only here>

cggonzaga
08-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Nice thought and I hope it comes to fruition for the program. However I'd be a little surprised if Few coaches past the age of 60. Just seems like the kind of guy that doesnt dig the limelight that much and would rather be fly fishing and enjoying his family before the boys get too much older. Then again I could be wrong and he could be aiming for the wins record and coach to 80! I wonder how far Coach K will put it out of reach?

krozman
08-06-2012, 01:15 AM
If you do what you love........

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-06-2012, 04:30 AM
I doubt we'll see another streak like that one in the WCC. The league has gotten a lot better top to bottom over the past few years. The addition of BYU, coupled with the St. Mary's emergence makes winning a league championship much harder. It is possible that BYU will leave and/or that St. Mary's will fall back into the pack with the rest of the league, particularly if Coach Bennett decides to leave. Unless that happens, I can't see another team dominating this league as thoroughly as Gonzaga did for the past thirteen years.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to start a new streak in 2012-2013.

bullzag23
08-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Was thinking about that 11-straight-years league championship run. We almost caught UCLA at 13. The Zags begin anew this upcoming season. If Coach Few stays put (and the quality recruits keep on coming), we might still surpass UCLA's 13-straight by, oh, 2025-'26.

Can't think of any other school, in any conference anywhere, that has a chance equivalent to ours. In fact, Kiddwell can't think of any school besides GU that has a chance at all.

<Talkin' Division I only here>

Kansas....

75Zag
08-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Kansas....

Kentucky?

Go Bulldogs!

awberke
08-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Kentucky?

Go Bulldogs!

Kansas

titopoet
08-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Some context: Kansas is running at 8 straight. That is with striking range.

JAGzag
08-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Read the caption and thought someone stole the cookie from the cookie jar ...

Kiddwell
08-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Some context: Kansas is running at 8 straight. That is with striking range.

Didn't realize that Kansas has eight in a row. Sure seems that the appeal of Texas would give them a fair chance to out-recruit, out-play the Jayhawks. The flip side is that the Longhorns were only 9-9 in conference last season.

MJGoGaels
08-07-2012, 02:50 PM
It is possible that ...St. Mary's will fall back into the pack with the rest of the league, particularly if Coach Bennett decides to leave. Unless that happens, I can't see another team dominating this league as thoroughly as Gonzaga did for the past thirteen years.

I hope I'm wrong.

When I was young I use to say things like that about GU... before and after Few arrived. Now, it's a only a theoretical possibility that GU would regress to .500 ball ever. Some day, hopefully, people will say that about the Gaels regardless of who is in charge of SMC basketball - the Gaels will be contenders because it's the Tradition.

NorCalCoug
08-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Good luck with that.... I would never suggest that BYU will go on a conference championship tear in the WCC but I'd wager a bet with ANYBODY that BYU will win at least 1 WCC bball championship in the next 13 years.

JPtheBeasta
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Good luck with that.... I would never suggest that BYU will go on a conference championship tear in the WCC but I'd wager a bet with ANYBODY that BYU will win at least 1 WCC bball championship in the next 13 years.

I would say so, too, and would really expect you to win more than that. Fortunes can change so quickly, and there is a reason why the Zags' run was so rare.

That said, suck it :] Go Zags !

bartruff1
08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Kansas........they actually have a realistic shot at it...

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM

I would agree with that, assuming that y'all stick around that long. We're hoping that you guys settle in for many years of great competition.

I'll also wager a frosty beverage that you won't get your first WCC championship during the next two years.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-08-2012, 01:52 PM
When I was young I use to say things like that about GU... before and after Few arrived. Now, it's a only a theoretical possibility that GU would regress to .500 ball ever. Some day, hopefully, people will say that about the Gaels regardless of who is in charge of SMC basketball - the Gaels will be contenders because it's the Tradition.

You are building a great program in Moraga. We'd love to see this rivalry continue at a high level for many years to come.

NorCalCoug
08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I would agree with that, assuming that y'all stick around that long. We're hoping that you guys settle in for many years of great competition.

I'll also wager a frosty beverage that you won't get your first WCC championship during the next two years.

You're probably right on the next 2 years. BYU is laying a very solid foundation for the future with recent recruiting. The frustrating thing is it takes that much longer to come to fruition with 2 year LDS missions. Sometimes, moreso with bball than fball IMO, athletes never really get back to their pre-mission level.

I see no reason to think that BYU is going anywhere anytime soon.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-08-2012, 02:56 PM
You're probably right on the next 2 years. BYU is laying a very solid foundation for the future with recent recruiting. The frustrating thing is it takes that much longer to come to fruition with 2 year LDS missions. Sometimes, moreso with bball than fball IMO, athletes never really get back to their pre-mission level.

I sure hope you guys do stick around. You are a great addition to our conference.

Robzagnut
08-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Santa Clara...

because Kerry Keating is such an awesome fella and a hell of a coach. He's going to turn that program around in 6 or 7 years. 10 wins here or 10 wins there last year and they would have been in the thick of it.

Kiddwell
08-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Santa Clara...

because Kerry Keating is such an awesome fella and a hell of a coach. He's going to turn that program around in 6 or 7 years. 10 wins here or 10 wins there last year and they would have been in the thick of it.

Wow, where did Kiddwell put his thinking cap? TOTALLY forgot about Coach Keating's juggernaut at SCU. :p

Still think if the Zags don't do it, no one (save, OK, Kansas) will. Gonzaga's new run begins in < three months.

Go Zags!

Vanzagger
08-08-2012, 07:28 PM

in football and you guys are gone. It would be cool if you could make it as an independent but the stability of a big conference may be too good to pass up.

I'm not a big fan of the way $$$ are changing the landscape so quickly. I know this will be ironic coming from me but bigger isn't always better.

Anyway I don't think it's a 2 team race by any means. BYU should be scary good.