PDA

View Full Version : OT. Nightmare Team

jazzdelmar
08-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Beating Nigeria by about 10,000 points was at best unsportsmanlike, at worst despicable. Bring back college kids and young pros. I hope Spain beats their arrogant butts.

bartruff1
08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
yup

zagfan24
08-03-2012, 11:25 AM
To be fair, I didn't watch the game. But from what I have heard, there was no showboating, no gloating, no antics. Just out of this world shooting from some of the world's best players. Playing your complete and very best game at a competition reserved for those at the highest level of sport shouldn't be looked down upon. In fact, I would find it far more patronizing and disrespectful to do otherwise. The shot clock dictates you shoot the ball -- Team USA did and it went in. What's arrogant about that?

jazzdelmar
08-03-2012, 11:31 AM
To be fair, I didn't watch the game. But from what I have heard, there was no showboating, no gloating, no antics. Just out of this world shooting from some of the world's best players. Playing your complete and very best game at a competition reserved for those at the highest level of sport shouldn't be looked down upon. In fact, I would find it far more patronizing and disrespectful to do otherwise. The shot clock dictates you shoot the ball -- Team USA did and it went in. What's arrogant about that?

I would never watch that group of smug, arrogant multimillionaires but I did see highlights and the jackasses were jumping around like imbeciles at the stunning accomplishments of teammates.

Gin N GUice
08-03-2012, 11:51 AM
This is the olympics, not middle school basketball. If you cant stop the team youre playing from beating you by 100 points you should just stay home!

MDABE80
08-03-2012, 11:56 AM
It's a bit much no doubt. I watched. ALmost bordered on "taunting" I though. I suppose the present team is trying to prove they're better than the "Dream Team". No matter, it makes the US look like jackases and bullies. Sad to see it.
Typical NBA glitz. I'm surprised they all don't have gold grills put on so they can preen for the international cameras. Coach K needs to have a talk with his young steeds.

JPtheBeasta
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Basketball in the Olympics is a weird dichotomy of the world-record personal achievement and sportsmanship. We wouldn't fault a Michael Phelps blowing the lid off of a record and utterly destroying his competition in the pool. I don't fault them for doing their best, but understand the showboating criticism. I have to think all of the comparisons to the Dream Team fueled this fire a bit.

zagfan24
08-03-2012, 12:00 PM
To each their own, I suppose.

Personally, I've cheered along as Gonzaga whooped up on inferior teams by 40+. I've watched Blake, Adam, and Steven rain daggers over lesser opponents; I've seen Erroll, Jeremy, and Ira throw down on guys with my vertical leap; I've witnessed Ronny, David, and Kelly jump around on the bench celebrating it and soaking it all in; and I've witnessed Coach Few leave the starters in for what was probably a bit of extra time (never mind the fact that team USA doesn't exactly have any Steven Gentry's).

Some of these aforementioned guys are now millionaires, many of them didn't exactly lack for confidence, and all of them played against and dominated opponents who didn't stand a chance. I never had a problem with any of that, and would feel hypocritical if I did now. That's just me, though.

Jakester425
08-03-2012, 12:05 PM
To each their own, I suppose.

Personally, I've cheered along as Gonzaga whooped up on inferior teams by 40+. I've watched Blake, Adam, and Steven rain daggers over lesser opponents; I've seen Erroll, Jeremy, and Ira throw down on guys with no my vertical leap; I've witnessed Ronny, David, and Kelly jump around on the bench celebrating it and soaking it all in; and I've witnessed Coach Few leave the starters in for what was probably a bit of extra time (never mind the fact that team USA doesn't exactly have any Steven Gentry's).

Some of these aforementioned guys are now millionaires, many of them didn't exactly lack for confidence, and all of them played against and dominated opponents who didn't stand a chance. I never had a problem with any of that, and would feel hypocritical if I did now. That's just me, though.

I agree.

What are your thoughts Herman Edwards?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

cggonzaga
08-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I also didn't see anything wrong with the game yesterday. Sounds like a bunch of old whiny fuddy duddies if you ask me and I'm no spring chicken myself. Also Abe, your comment on "gold grills" borders on a racist remark IMO.

zag944
08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Ive been to enough Gonzaga games where the Kennel Club is chanting "Where's your mens team?" or "Emporia State High School" to where I wont feel sorry for a team getting blown out in the Olympics.

This US team gets a lot of criticsm whenever they look slightly vunerable. Now they get it when they look unbeatable.

If you want a Nightmare Team, check out 1994. Shaq, Kemp, Grandmama, Coleman etc throwing down thunderous dunks all game long...and letting out primal yells or grabbing their crotches in celebration.

soccerdud
08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Also Abe, your comment on "gold grills" borders on a racist remark IMO.

you have a right to whatever interpretation, but i'm not seeing it. especially when the only grill i've seen referenced in the olympics was in lochte's mouth.

one of the big reasons people get offended so much nowadays is because they have their own preconceptions about certain things or terms, and automatically assign those preconceptions to anyone else who references them.

just something to keep in mind.

and for the record, i have never defended abe and only rarely ever agree with him :)

oh, and that being said-- i totally agree with your fuddy duddies remark. i just don't see a reason to bring race/racism into it. on either side.

BroncoZAG615
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
I wish the USA team would consist of 7 Mike Hart's and 6 David Pendergraft's. They would win with grace and dignity and would maintain a reasonable margin so as to not hurt the other team's feelings. If Mark Few and Jerry Krause had been coaching, both sides could have enjoyed orange slices at halftime as well.

zag944
08-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I watched Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings win a set 21-8 in beach volleyball the other night. They even had the gall to look happy about big plays they made and the final result.

Theyve been beating everyone so badly for so long and frankly they are bullies that we should all be sickened by.

GoZAGsMang
08-03-2012, 12:25 PM
yes it was ot, the rest I dont agree with

GoZAGsMang and GoTeamUSAMang

harryzag
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM

+83

sittingon50
08-03-2012, 01:04 PM
1. Run the shot clock down as much as possible
2. Don't shoot 3's
3. Act like you've been there before

Law Zag In Training
08-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Coach K essentially emptied his bench at the start of the second half. The problem is when your 3rd string center is the #1 pick in the NBA draft and the NCAA player of the year, the drop off isn't the same as subbing in Colin Floyd for Adam Morrison. I personally dislike Carmelo quite a bit, but he's a great (selfish) player and even he is a backup this year. USA also played 2-3 zone for most of the half and Nigeria still turned it over all the time.

I do think that team USA could have used up the full shot clock more often in the 4th quarter, but when even the worst jump shooters on team USA are hitting every three pointer they take... what do you want them to do? Stand there and just dribble on the spot until the shot clock expires? They were just standing outside the three point line and hucking it up after 18 seconds. It just so happened that an absurd amount of their shots still went in.

ZagFanInNC
08-03-2012, 01:58 PM
I also didn't see anything wrong with the game yesterday. Sounds like a bunch of old whiny fuddy duddies if you ask me and I'm no spring chicken myself. Also Abe, your comment on "gold grills" borders on a racist remark IMO.

+1

They aren't supposed to have fun in the Olympics? Sorry that they were getting excited for their backups when they were having success.

jazzdelmar
08-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Gee, it's so good to be back. Though it's still silly season clearly, opinions are as rampant as ever.

MDABE80
08-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I like Gold Grills:)

GoZAGsMang
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
its kinda like not watching GU beat Carroll College last yr, and then saying Few ran up the score

GoZAGsMANG

ridgebackzag
08-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Beating Nigeria by about 10,000 points was at best unsportsmanlike, at worst despicable. Bring back college kids and young pros. I hope Spain beats their arrogant butts.

Did you want the starters to sit so another All-Star could take their place? Someone had to play the game and this isn't high school where you can just sit at mid-court without a shot clock (unless that rule has changed).

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Sometimes I think today's NBA players get a bad rap when compared to former players, particularly the Dream Team. Remember when Barkley dropped that elbow on the guy from Angola? Or when Jordan insisted on having an American flag thrown over his jacket so it would block the Reebok logo? If anyone on the 2012 team pulled either one of those moves, they'd be forever written off as a bad person. I'm not saying I like today's NBA player (because I don't), but sometimes I think the criticism is overblown when comparing them to players in the Jordan era.

GUZag08
08-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I wish we had won by 100.

This is the olympics babe. The stakes are too high. You need to be on top of your game at all times to make sure you dont slip up. One loss and its bronze, and everyone knows what a disaster that is (2004).

Btw you didn't even watch the game

JPtheBeasta
08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Gee, it's so good to be back. Though it's still silly season clearly, opinions are as rampant as ever.

Welcome back :] You're absence has been conspicuous. I think this is one of the first controversial topics in awhile and your are seeing the culmination of a fair amount of boredom around here (although the Sacre draft and NBA summer league have been good GU story lines with a lot of good vibes). To be fair though, your post did start things off with a bang with some emotionally charged words.

hockeyzag
08-03-2012, 02:46 PM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/364/5/4/grumpy_old_man_by_rufusedge-d4kqg3h.gif

Jazz was so excited when he woke up this morning and read about the Team USA beatdown. Finally something basketball related to complain about on the GU Boards!!!

jazzdelmar
08-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Wish I was that flexible, Hock-man :)

bballbeachbum
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
disagree jazz :)

Nigeria allowed dribble pentration yet was sagging their D! They also sent 4-5 to the glass every offensive possession all game...just crazy. It's how they have played the entire tournamnet however, if you've watched the games I do not know, but that's their style. to their coach's credit, he didn't change their approach, but perhaps he might have tried something different? as usual, their international opponent dared Team USA to take open 3s...they just made a ton of them this time. Hope it's not fool's gold going forward.

Team USA did not half-step, did not show boat, emptied the bench...Melo played only 14 minutes to score his 37 points! And he did not force a shot. It was simplly perhaps the greatest team shooting performance I've ever seen...ever.

It all means nothing going forward, but the attack on the Team being smug and arrogant just seems off base. If they had show boated or slowed up or press D'd the whole game or played the starters too long...it would have pissed me off. They did not do any of that...and still scored what they scored

pretty amazing really. rooting against what this Team USA has become and represents under Colangelo and Coach K in the Red, White and Blue is sad. Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury and others...I was with you. This team...I am with them

jazzdelmar
08-03-2012, 02:58 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/08/canzano_the_dream_team_doesnt.html

Just to stoke the embers, here's our least favorite scribes point of view.

coolhandzag
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Good or bad is this behavioral choice pattern is a surprise?

AzZag
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Some of you guys are a joke, especially the OP. This thread is worthless. I was there, in person. I am here at the Olympics and I have never had more country pride in my life. Trust me when I say the Nigerians were just glad to be in the Olympics. We sat in their fan section and not one was upset of how Team USA handled themselves They were cheering every Carmelo "3". Yesterday's game was a thing of beauty. What did you want them to do, run four corners all game? Ike Diago was talking so much crap in the first quarter when he scored 8 straight it got annoying.

Be proud you are an American. I am not ashamed to walk around London with my USA shirt on.

FYI, ran into Josh Heytfelt in the Wash DC airport en route. Got a great pic with him and had a nice convo. Said he was getting things in order to play in Turkey. Super nice guy....

jazzdelmar
08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
I just think the model is broken. How can any true fan relish such a whipping? Sterns idea to go back to collegians and younger pros has great merit. Would you enjoy an American League all star team beating Chad by 20 run? Plu I'm just not a big nba fan.

kitzbuel
08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Maybe they should play badminton.

GUZag08
08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I just think the model is broken. How can any true fan relish such a whipping? Sterns idea to go back to collegians and younger pros has great merit. Would you enjoy an American League all star team beating Chad by 20 run? Plu I'm just not a big nba fan.

If we lost the Olympics with a bunch of college players, I would be so pissed.

zag944
08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Probably shoudve just left Phelps home too. He is too good after all.

TheGonzagaFactor
08-03-2012, 03:36 PM

I'm a true fan and I loved it. The whole point is to get other countries involved. It's going to take a while, but when you have a Tunisian player asking Kobe for an autograph after Kobe kicked his ass it's hard to say Team USA doesn't help increase worldwide interest in the game.

This game was ridiculous. We weren't rubbing their faces in it, we just didn't miss any shots. I kept hearing people saying "oh they're running up the score" ... what were they supposed to do? Just throw the ball out of bounds every time to keep it respectable, in turn insulting Nigeria even worse?

If you go with collegiate or younger players, we might beat them by even MORE. Imagine how awful Nigeria's U-18 team is. Ughhh.

Going to younger players would kill the Olympic basketball tournament and international basketball would be on life support.

This is the only time we get to see our BEST come together for our entertainment. I think it all points to you not being a big NBA fan, because it's almost comical that people can find something to complain about after we drained 29 three pointers in 40 minutes.

NanookZag
08-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Are we going to ban all professionals? IF we are going to say no professional NBA players, then every nation has to go with amateurs. Same rule across the board. Roger Federer can't play for Switzerland. No professional soccer player can play for Spain. No professional ping pong player can play for Indonesia. No professional handball player can play for Korea.

Some teams don't deserve to be in the Olympics. Take the best teams period regardless of region and let them play. Don't restrict the number of teams to a region or the number of participants can have in a gymnastics all around.

NEC26
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
What a load of horse pucky. The Chinese get kicked out for not competing at their highest level and some here have a problem with the basketball team putting their best effort out there????
Some people are so worried about how we appear to other countries but maybe we ought to consider the fact that that Nigerian team wanted team USA's best shot rather than being patronizing or treating them like middle schoolers.
I do not like NBA basketball at all but the idea that they were somehow out of line is just ridiculous and shows how incredibly dumbed down and politically correct so many want to be these days. What a joke. :explode:

VinnyZag
08-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Stern wants the Olympics to be a U-23 tournament so that the NBA can create a "Basketball World Cup" and keep all the profits for itself. It has merits, if you own an NBA team and don't like that the IOC is making all this money off the Olympic basketball tournament.

MDABE80
08-03-2012, 06:47 PM

How so?

Zagsker
08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Nigeria basketball vs USA basketball= Adam Morrison vs dribble penetration

They just can't stop it!!!!!

Saxon_zag
08-04-2012, 12:23 AM

This opinion is at best very stupid and at worst despicably ignorant. YOu must not have watched the game? There is something called a shot clock, sorry the shots were going in. It would have been unsportsmanlike in my eyes to intentionally shoot air balls or just hand possession back to Nigeria to not hurt any feelings like you are apparently hoping for.

Saxon_zag
08-04-2012, 12:25 AM
It's a bit much no doubt. I watched. ALmost bordered on "taunting" I though. I suppose the present team is trying to prove they're better than the "Dream Team". No matter, it makes the US look like jackases and bullies. Sad to see it.
Typical NBA glitz. I'm surprised they all don't have gold grills put on so they can preen for the international cameras. Coach K needs to have a talk with his young steeds.

Oh god.... ROFLMAO

surely you meant all of them EXCEPT Kevin Love. I mean that guy just wouldn't do that, ya know?

Saxon_zag
08-04-2012, 12:29 AM
i just think the model is broken. How can any true fan relish such a whipping? Sterns idea to go back to collegians and younger pros has great merit. Would you enjoy an american league all star team beating chad by 20 run? Plu i'm just not a big nba fan.

oh no a blowout in the group stage clearly this shows the model needs to be changed

jbslicer
08-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Commies beat Spain, 77-74.

kitzbuel
08-04-2012, 04:51 AM
Stern wants the Olympics to be a U-23 tournament so that the NBA can create a "Basketball World Cup" and keep all the profits for itself. It has merits, if you own an NBA team and don't like that the IOC is making all this money off the Olympic basketball tournament.

I don't think this is a bad idea at all. That is the same as the Men's Olympic Soccer tournament (two older players per team allowed).

ZagNut08
08-04-2012, 06:05 AM
I thought you we're talking about the us women's gymnastics team. How can they live with themselves?? Going out an doing amazing floor excercises and jumpin up an down celebrating while the Russian team of teenage girls is sobbing they are so heartbroken. I think they should have to hand over the gold to Russia as an apology!

bballbeachbum
08-04-2012, 06:55 AM
you all watching this

78-72 USA-LIT entering the 4th

edit: Kobe playing as poorly as possible, the team concept appearing to elude him, hurting all. still time to trun it around

bballbeachbum
08-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Kobe playing much better and hasn't taken a shot nor touched the balll, and Team USA making plays

bballbeachbum
08-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Bravo Lithuania, played an exciting game and Team USA had some problems (see FTs for example--yikes!). Possibly a blessing in disguise to have a game like this early, even though LIT stopped playing the final 20+ seconds

after a game like this one thing's for sure, the model ain't broken ;)

GO USA!!!

zag944
08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
They did a good job today. Winning by such a margin means they will only have to deal with backhanded compliments (rather than the various statements brimming with ignorance and/or closeted racism by people who weren't even watching).

MDABE80
08-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't get these mentions of racism. Somebody want to fill me in?

sonuvazag
08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
http://www.technewsdaily.com/4584-obama-hate-speech-spreads-on-facebook.html

MDABE80
08-04-2012, 01:04 PM
So what's this have to do with anything germain to the postings?? Some nut picks a few things out on facebook...so?

sonuvazag
08-04-2012, 01:10 PM
So what's this have to do with anything germain to the postings?? Some nut picks a few things out on facebook...so?
You are claiming ignorance, asking for someone to fill you in and I gave a direct response. It's the connection between your comment about gold grills and this:

Ku Klux Klan-style hate speech using old stereotypes updated with do-rags and golden grills.

MDABE80
08-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Oh I see. You're using a facebook article to prove something. Nice logic.
If you go back to my original post, you might know the point was that the team appeared to me to be big showoffs in humiliating Nigeria. What does a showoff do? Preens, makes everyone notice themselves, and what better way to to that than fire up a gold grill.
Didn't have naything to do with tacism at all. It's in your brain son.
Not mine. I do notice the person who claimed "borderline racism" hasn't answered.

The point being was the "showoff, self adulation, congratulating yourself" and then preening for the cameras. SO why not just put a gold grill on?? I think you liberal brained types have been reading facebook or the L rags too much. Never tell a guy what he's thinking. It never works.

sonuvazag
08-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Abe, I'm not trying to prove you are racist and I didn't try to tell you what you are thinking. You said, "I don't get these mentions of racism" and I showed you an article with the type of reasoning where your remark could be accused of racism. I filled you in. Thats. All. I. Did.

Coincidentally many of your remarks are wrong about me. I didn't find that article on Facebook and it is not a Facebook article. I used a Google search query: "Gold Grill Racist Remark." I posted the first article that came up. The article is from www.technewsdaily.com and talks about how racism is proliferated on Facebook. There's quite possibly a lot more articles and even scholarly research out there by "liberal-brained" types that make the same claims regarding gold grill remarks. At the very least, you can no longer claim to be ignorant of this line of thinking.

jazzdelmar
08-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Mods, as the OP can I ask u consider closing this thread? It has meandered into muddy waters and IMO is no longer productive. Thanks.

MDABE80
08-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Agreed. Hijacked to nonsense.

Rangerzag
08-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Why is a remark about a grill at the Olympics automatically racist?

The grill subject came up earlier when Ryan Lochte was kept from wearing his Stars and Stripes grill on the podium?

Did the Olympic authorities restrict Ryan in a move to thwart racism?

MDABE80
08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
lolololol............good one! If you have preconceived notions about things (words, phrasings, etc) you'll find trouble. Of that I have no doubt. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez guys!

Let's close this one off.

MDABE80
08-04-2012, 04:22 PM
http://www.frigginrandom.com/screw-white-teeth-i-want-diamonds-7-photos/

Grill masterpieces:)

sonuvazag
08-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Why is a remark about a grill at the Olympics automatically racist?

It's not.

The grill subject came up earlier when Ryan Lochte was kept from wearing his Stars and Stripes grill on the podium?

Did the Olympic authorities restrict Ryan in a move to thwart racism?
No.

The fact is there is a great deal of sensitivity in our culture to the way African Americans are characterized. I'm not weighing on the topic to say this sensitivity is right or wrong. It is just a fact. When someone makes comments on a public forum that resemble the characteristics of an existing racist meme, there's a good chance those comments will be called out. Maybe Abe wasn't aware of all those terribly disrespectful photos of the President with a grill being passed around on Facebook or maybe he didn't think that his comments on Team USA might be seen as analogous. I don't mind taking Abe's word that his intent has been misconstrued.

I do not see the American squad as a group that is the grill-wearing type but we all have different points of view.

MDABE80
08-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Well suffice it say, I think the showboating "look at me" routine got over with the Lithuania game. More to come.
No offense to those sensitive types.

Once and Future Zag
08-04-2012, 06:46 PM
lolololol............good one! If you have preconceived notions about things (words, phrasings, etc) you'll find trouble. Of that I have no doubt. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez guys!

Let's close this one off.

True.

Words only have literal meanings - there's never connotations not captured in the dictionary defenition.

75Zag
08-04-2012, 06:48 PM
When I took my first professional job, my mentor told me that rule #1 was to never jump into the middle of a pissing match because I was likely to get wet from both sides.

There are many folks on this thread who have the best interest of GU basketball as their first priority.

Time to stop wetting each other and find another topic.

Zags11
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Really?? I am shocked at some opinions here. If USA wanted to mock the world, I believe we would of left in our starters. We stopped pressing as much. You think in a track meet, other countries care?

And why would you want Pendo and hart? Pendo complained alot and made faces when went wrong way. Plus probably been 0-3. I don't get the hate to some players, be it America or zag players. I haven't seen anything wrong with how America has played. The 3rd string is better then most 1st string teams.

Zags11
08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Really?? I am shocked at some opinions here. If USA wanted to mock the world, I believe we would of left in our starters. We stopped pressing as much. You think in a track meet, other countries care?

And why would you want Pendo and hart? Pendo complained alot and made faces when went wrong way. Plus probably been 0-3. I don't get the hate to some players, be it America or zag players. I haven't seen anything wrong with how America has played. The 3rd string is better then most 1st string teams.

Comment on Pendo and hart was not rude. It was a point on how we mock or moan about but others get a free pass. Hence daye(who wasn't a favorite) or any current zag or USA team player.

cggonzaga
08-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I said it bordered on a racist comment, I didn't call you a racist. But after the liberal comment...ah forget it. It had everything to do with stereotypes. I still don't understand why you used it other than to be snarky but moving on.

Pretty sure Bronco was being sarcastic 11.

deathchina
08-04-2012, 10:57 PM
A good article on USA basketball by Jayson Whitlock. He wrote this back in 2000 when we really struggled in Athens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/040826

It really seems like there are a lot of people who would rather see our team get "taught a lesson" by a Spain or Argentina than actually root for the USA.

Go figure.

Probably the same people that think Steve Nash actually deserves to have two mvps, or that Dan Dickau "never got a fair chance" in the NBA.

zag944
08-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I thought the gold grills comment was fine in the context of the post.

There has been topics on this messageboard in the somewhat recent past with some pretty disgusting stuff in my opinion on here (talk of the NBA being full of tattoo covered thugs for example).

Ill just say that the Men's Basketball team is part of Team USA. They have conducted themselves professionally on the court as I think the people here who have actually watched will attest. The guys have been visible cheering on the USA in a bunch of sports. They get criticized when they win by too much, they get criticized when they dont win by enough, and god forbid they lose a game.

They are Olympians putting their bodies on the line to win us gold. In my opinion, they do NOT deserve to be called arrogant, smug, unsportsmanlike, or despicable.

JPtheBeasta
08-05-2012, 12:50 AM
I just took my crazy pills. Am I late to the party?!

GoZAGsMang
08-05-2012, 05:59 AM

+1mil

zagco
08-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Eh. The Nigeria game was a dumb game, but from what Zagco could tell, we just started jacking up long range shots and they were freakishly falling, as if it was a WCC road game and Nigeria was using the Gonzaga 3-point defense. Hard to really say much. We weren't going inside, and it wasn't like we had plays set up. We were basically just tossing the ball up and it was falling.

JPtheBeasta
08-05-2012, 08:49 AM
USA women whooping up on China 92-45 in the 3rd quarter right now...

jazzdelmar
08-05-2012, 09:27 AM
USA women whooping up on China 92-45 in the 3rd quarter right now...

How thrilling. Even Auriemma is smiling. And this helps the sport or the trade imbalance how?

zag944
08-05-2012, 09:42 AM
How thrilling. Even Auriemma is smiling. And this helps the sport or the trade imbalance how?

Greatness often acts as a lightning rod for a sport. Many corrolate the heavy influx of foreign talent in basketball to the 1992 Dream Team in Barcelona. Sports such as golf, cycling, swimming, etc have gotten an incredible boost due to some one's dominance.

The Olympics is about the best of the best. Im glad that the 92 Dream Team encouraged the rest of the world to get better (and it really has). It would have been bad for the sport had our 60+ point win over Angola in that Olympics only resulted in everyone else staying the same while we sent worse players.

willandi
08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Heard the guys on ESPN talking during the Lithuania game, about how the '92 team had no close games, so the comparison of this team with '92 was laughable.
How many international players were in the NBA prior to the '92 Olympics, and how many played for their National Teams? Just seems that since then MANY have played in the NBA and almost every team, this year, has multiple NBA players.
That could also explain some of that

JPtheBeasta
08-05-2012, 10:09 AM

I don't have strong feelings either way. On a lighter note, Ahmedinejad recently gave (just heared about it, no thanks to the mainstream media) what they are calling the most anti-semitic speech ever and Israel is weeks away from a preemptive strike on Iran, per an Israeli ex-security advisor, so maybe the distractions are good as our totter teeters every so closely to WW3. So much for the goodwill of the Olympic games.

Did I hear someone mention tacos?

jazzdelmar
08-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Federer laid down for Murray
The football players obese sister just dropped her weight
The Italian coach in w polo got booted

All on LIVE tv while the sensational 100 meter semis are being held in absentia..nice work NBC.

Bulletin. Seven dead in temple, NBC will cover on tape delay.

Radbooks
08-05-2012, 11:13 AM

All on LIVE tv while the sensational 100 meter semis are being held in absentia..nice work NBC.

I doubt you're going to change anyone's mind with your negative comments; you're certainly not changing mine.

I really doubt Federer dropped the game for Murray since the gold medal was the only thing he didn't have and it was probably the only chance the Swiss had for a gold medal.

Every single event can be watched online in real time if you want to watch them... you don't have to wait and watch them tonight if you don't want to. Who can blame them for doing something for making money?

It's horrible about the shooting in that temple, but I don't know if your comment is just sarcasm or what so I can't respond to that.

ZagNative
08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
What a pleasant thread ....

bballbeachbum
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM

you're just trolling now like some teenager in a basement jazz, more suited to the espn boards than this one. anyway, it's always fun seeing bogus claims exposed for what they are and for that this thread was worthy

on a basketball note, did you all catch Spain's game vs. Russia where they were up 17 after the first period yet lost?

MDABE80
08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
What a pleasant thread ....

lolololol...my thoughts exactly. Nuke this mess . Nothing good will come of it.:clap:

bballbeachbum
08-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Nothing good will come of it.:clap:

Nothing good out of this thread ABE? I agree there was lots of yuck, but I also found some of it very revealing

MDABE80
08-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Congrats...good for you!

bballbeachbum
08-05-2012, 05:41 PM
not just me it appears ABE, but thank you!

zagitarious
08-05-2012, 06:30 PM
I just took my crazy pills. Am I late to the party?!

...Did I hear someone mention tacos?

Man, JP be killing it in this thread...

NotoriousZ
08-05-2012, 08:49 PM
lolololol...my thoughts exactly. Nuke this mess . Nothing good will come of it.:clap:

http://cinemonkey.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/cleese.jpg

It's time.

gu03alum
08-06-2012, 06:45 AM
I would just like to get a comment in before the thread gets locked. I too did not watch the game either. Therefore, I have no opinion about the game.

http://columbian.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2012/Mar/09/taco_bell_dorito_taco_t620.jpg?fbf2daa044e08a86b24 c9c38cd7501865a0e2373

LongIslandZagFan
08-06-2012, 07:38 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/wurtele/taco.jpg