PDA

View Full Version : Hope Solo: Shut Up !!!

Zag 77
07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Commentator Brandi Chastain makes a fairly mild comment about a US defender's error and Solo goes ballistic on Twitter. There is no way Solo could have heard the comment before she tweeted. It IS a distraction to the team for her to do this crap. As the father of a HS girls goalkeeper, I have admired Solo in many ways, but I have to agree with the comments being offered that this is more of a publicity stunt for a new book coming out:

A couple of things appear to be going on. The one thing this isn't about is the content of Chastain's remarks. What it really seems to be about is the fact that Solo has a new book out, and she's going down market. It may also be about Solo's irritation at the enduring presence of Chastain, who embodies a constant reminder that the current U.S. squad has yet to live up to the illustrious achievements of the 1999 team, to whom they owe their stardom. Grow the game?? It may never again be as big as it was when Chastain and her teammates won the '99 World Cup over China in front of a capacity Rose Bowl crowd, and Chastain posterized herself on the cover of Sports Illustrated by whipping off her shirt after scoring the winner.

It's a nagging fact that although Solo is better paid and better promoted, she's not nearly as decorated as her predecessors. She has never won a World Cup, although she possesses a gold medal won in Beijing. Chastain has won two World Cups and two Olympic golds in a remarkable 16-year run. It can't always be pleasant that so many of the '99 stars are still hanging around looking over the current team's shoulders, passing judgment. In addition to Chastain, Julie Foudy is here for ESPN. During last year's World Cup, Chastain, Foudy and Mia Hamm all sat in the broadcast booth.

"I do think it's hard to have a former teammate talking sometimes in a way that points out that wasn't the best way to play a ball, or the best play defending," Foudy said. "That's hard, and I get that. But my biggest issue is, my job as an analyst is that I have to report as I see it, as objectively as possible, or I lose all credibility."

Instead of worrying about what Chastain says on the air, Foudy suggests, maybe Solo should appreciate the fact that the game is on network television at all. "It's a good sign because it means people are paying attention," she said. "They're going to get the good, and the bad, the critiquing, but that's great because there was a point when we were playing and people didn't care. And that's not fun."

The most disappointing aspect of Solo's behavior is that it suggests she hasn't learned as much as she could have from players like Chastain. The real inheritance from that squad wasn't fame, or the chance to make a great living. It was a sense of mutual indebtedness, and a brand of solidarity that prevented these sorts of spats. There was a striking lack of ego; they weren't particularly conscious of their stardom or specialness. It was their most pleasant quality. And Solo could do with a little of it

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/olympics/2018812633_olympics_solo31.html

sittingon50
07-30-2012, 09:30 PM
She's had a lot of "stuff" to deal with growing up. Apparently she's still dealin'.

P.S.

Fortunately I'm old & this forum is the extent of my use of social media. In the wrong hands (which is most everybody, IMO) its a monumental waste of time.

Angelo Roncalli
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Completely agree, '77.

Chastain delivered when it counted. She won two World Cups, two Olympic gold medals and a silver. She was clutch in the shootout against China, scoring the game winning goal.

Solo's resume is pretty meager in comparison. And she was not clutch in the shootout against Japan in the last World Cup. And she sucked on Dancing With the Stars.

asoc
07-31-2012, 04:54 PM
While I think Hope shouldn't have said what she did, I think Chastain needs to shut up as well.

I watched that game with my Sister. Both of us were sitting there thinking Chastain was being overly negative throughout the whole game.

To me, she came across as someone who can't give any credit to the younger generation. That nothing they do is good enough. And that reflects poorly on her. And this was just from listening to here in that one game. I had no idea about her previous comments at the time.

There is a history between Hope Solo and the old guard as well as a history with Chastain. Hope got royally screwed in the 2007 world Cup. After having started all the games and helping to lead the team to the semi finals she gets benched for a player who was old and was rusty from not having been playing in any games. Hope was abandoned by that team and it really hurt the team. It lead to the firing of the coach and created a rift between the old guard and the new guard. It wasn't about who the best players were but who your friends were.

Chastain came out criticizing Hope over testing positive for a banned substance. I think she was wrong to do so considering the circumstances.

When being an analyst for a game, there is a difference between analyzing and non stop criticizing to the point fans are noticing it and actually muting the tv. I didn't mute it, but I can understand why many did.

I don't think this was about just a few comments Chastain made during the game. It was more about her tone throughout the whole game as well as the history between the two.

And the game has changed in the last 10 years.

I have a lot of respect for that golden generation of US Women's Soccer.

But the world has caught up and the speed and quality of the Women's game has improved tremendously.

And make no mistake about it. That Golden Generation of Women's soccer wasn't without their own over inflated egos.

They trashed MLS. I believe it was Julie Foudy who when asked about MLS said "What's MLS" mocking the league. At one point there were discussions about MLS working with the professional women's league. The women didn't want to tie themselves to MLS because they thought it was beneath them and would hold them back.

Those golden generation players also paid themselves well beyond what they were worth and mismanaged that league into the ground.

Now when the most recent attempt at a professional league collapsed they want MLS to support them.

I am sure there is more as well.

Zag 77
07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Chastain's comments were pretty much milquetoast compared to anybody who is a regular soccer commentator like Paul Gardner or Tommy Smythe. Certainly far less crtical than somebody like Bobby Knight in college basketball or any typical NFL broadcast.

Hope seems to be engaged in an all-out campaign to get some attention and capitalize on her last Olympic or World Cup appearance. Hope it does not hurt the team.

The sad thing is that she really is a great goalkeeper. If she had let her play do her talking this Olympics, she may have had the chance to go out as an idol in her sport. Now, she is going to have a taint as a big mouth with no self-humilty.

asoc
07-31-2012, 08:29 PM
I think its foolish to take Hope's comments as simply a reaction to just a few comments from Chastain.

Considering the history already there as well as the way Chastain was "analyzing" the whole game.

Need to look at the whole picture imo to get a real understanding of why Hope reacted the way she did.

zagco
08-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Hope would have loved listening to Howard Cosell's critiques.

BobZag
08-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Hope seems to be engaged in an all-out campaign to get some attention and capitalize on her last Olympic or World Cup appearance. Hope it does not hurt the team.

The sad thing is that she really is a great goalkeeper. If she had let her play do her talking this Olympics, she may have had the chance to go out as an idol in her sport. Now, she is going to have a taint as a big mouth with no self-humilty.

Hope just turned 31. Brad Friedel starts for Tottenham at age 40. This isn't her final Olympics or World Cup (last year). The team is not hurt, that's silly.

Sad that she's a great goalkeeper? Seriously? You're freaking sad? She has all the humility that Ronaldo, Rooney, Ibrahimovic and dozens of other star players have.

I side with asoc on this. It's a cumulative effect. Chastain has a "Holier than Thou" tone about her that turns me off.

webspinnre
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I've got a bit of agreement with both here. On one hand, Solo hasn't handled herself well. On the other hand, there clearly seems to be some sort of attitude from Chastain that what this team does will never be good enough compared to what her peers did.

23dpg
08-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Hope still talking 4 years later. 6 month suspension.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/17385530/hope-solo-suspended-six-months-us-soccer

LongIslandZagFan
08-25-2016, 08:32 AM
Speaking as someone who has coached soccer for years. The best goalies... they are always a little bit off kilter.

Zag 77
08-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Solo has worn out her welcome. She is old enough now that US Soccer should look to the future. World Cup is in 2019, so now is the time to start getting a new goalie ready.

Solo is a flake. At some point you have to say her inability to be self-disciplined outweighs her skills. I am not convinced she is at the top of her game any more. In critical penalty-kick shootouts in the last 2 years she has not come up with any big saves.

sittingon50
08-25-2016, 12:08 PM
All this free time on her hands means more problems for the denizen's of Seattle area. Angelo, GZ, et al. - take cover!!

CDC84
08-28-2016, 04:58 PM
More on Solo:

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news/hope-solo-suspension-release-us-soccer-coward-comments-sweden/rv2eemp8rt8p10zaagkkaiyya

I don't know what the deal is, but Dancing With The Stars appears to be the contemporary go to place where U.S. athletes attempt to repair their "public image." The word is that Ryan Lochte will be on the show this coming up season.

Rangerzag
08-29-2016, 06:02 AM
Also indefinite leave from Seattle Reign

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Hope-Solo-takes-indefinite-leave-from-Seattle-9188383.php

Rangerzag
08-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Solo season with Reign is finished.

http://komonews.com/sports/sports-content/hope-solo-wont-play-for-reign-this-season