PDA

View Full Version : Goodman: "Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd coach-in-waiting"

ZagNative
07-27-2012, 09:31 AM
From CBS Sports' Jeff Goodman (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19668863/gonzaga-assistant-tommy-lloyd-coach-in-waiting):

Now, if and when Few decides to retire, assistant Tommy Lloyd will be the guy who takes over the reigns of the west coast power.

"That's accurate," Few told CBSSports.com. "I've been blessed to have terrific assistants. People focus on his ability to get European guys, but Tommy can coach, recruit and develop players. He's also extremely well thought-of with all the former players."

Lloyd, 37, is best-known for his ability to recruit outside of the U.S. borders. He's helped the 'Zags land Ronny Turiaf, Elias Harris and Kevin Pangos, but Few said he brings far more than recruiting to the table.

"He does everything," Few added.
Few will turn 50 in December and has led the 'Zags to the NCAA tournament in each of his 13 years at the helm. He admitted he has no timetable for how long he'll stick around as the head coach.

"I love it at Gonzaga," Few said. "I'm just happy we've been able to have a plan in place -- and Tommy will do a terrific job once I decide to retire."

CDC84
07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if this comes to pass. Billy and Leon couldn't afford to wait around much longer because of their age. Tommy can. He's only 37, and I have never perceived Few as being a guy who will be coaching at the college level when he's 68 or whatever.

VaBeachZAG
07-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Lloyd as successor to Few......works for me!

MickMick
07-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Zags wouldn't miss a beat.

Few has been with the team much longer than his tenure at head coach. Gonzaga has been his career. The same can be said of Tommy.

Tommy has seen it all. I would hope that he is the successor.

Vanzagger
07-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Hang in there Tommy.

Rangerzag
07-27-2012, 04:10 PM
"I love it at Gonzaga," Few said. "I'm just happy we've been able to have a plan in place -- and Tommy will do a terrific job once I decide to retire." :

Once again, it doesn't sound like Few has any pre-retirement moves in mind.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
No surprise.

We aren't dumb enough to think just throwing money at a big name that another quality program recently dropped would work. We also don't have the money to pay a big name if Few steps down/out, so I knew it had to be a current assistant. Lloyd has done a lot for us, so he absolutely deserves to be the coach in waiting.

gu03alum
07-28-2012, 07:42 AM
I was kind of hoping for Calipari or Coach K.

Vanzagger
07-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey the Cougs got Mike Leach. There are many who consider him a top 5 head coach. And I'll just add that at the PAC 12 media day he said bring on the hype because no one expects more out of us than our selves. I found that refreshing.

I've heard simular tones out ot Tommy when doing interviews. No excuses. Someone is going to get a fine young coach when the time comes.

Hey hoops fans, get outside and support one of our local football teams the next few months. You cant beat the value!

Or inside if your going to Moscow.

SWZag
07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
The future continues to be bright, both on the court and on the bench.

SWZag

TheGonzagaFactor
07-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Hey the Cougs got Mike Leach. There are many who consider him a top 5 head coach.

No one besides a delusional WSU fan would consider Mike Leach a top 5 coach.

bigblueandzags
07-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Top 5 coach in Washington is what they were trying to say?

Birddog
07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Maybe not top 5, but you watch what happens to Coug football under his tenure. He could be top 10, look at what he did at TT.

Therunner
07-28-2012, 11:40 AM
cool.

won't happen for at least another decade+, imo.

thus, i hope Tommy sticks around long enough instead of being recruited to another HC gig. which is only a matter of time, maybe he doesn't follow in the footsteps of Rice or Grier and awaits 'his time'.

rijman
07-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Lloyd as successor to Few......works for me!
+1, but with Few only 50 will Lloyd hang around for possibly 10+ years waiting to take over or does he take a head coaching job elsewhere if something comes up in the next 5 years?

sittingon50
07-30-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm thinking the same thing, rij.

CDC84
07-30-2012, 10:41 AM
I think Tommy maybe willing to wait it out based on the experiences of Rice and Grier. Those experiences have been less than ideal.

I can't see him leaving unless it's for a can't miss job that could serve as a stepping stone to another job. I expect him to be more selective. I don't think he is in any rush to be a head coach. The question is, if you have a can't miss job, would you be willing to hire a coach with zero D-1 head coaching experience? I would because I know how good Tommy is, but I don't think like most athletic directors. Most AD's are willing to hire guys who have already been fired as head coaches (sometimes at multiple colleges) due to their "experience."

bartruff1
07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
That might have happened 10 years ago, but now Gonzaga is a multi million dollar enterprise with a winning basketball program at it's core.

When Few retires, quits, or get fired, I suspect Gonzaga will hire a search firm and appoint a advisory team that will establish the selection criteria and they will follow a process that is intended to hire the best possible coach that is willing to work under the conditions and for what they are willing to pay.

The stakes are high unless " they " decide to go in another direction and downsize the program.

I would bet one of the most important selection criteria will be that the candidate would have to have a high winning % as a head coach at a mid major progam and that program and candidate would have to be absolutely clean.That is the brand.

The search firm will scour everything that person has done or said since maybe highschool and certainly college.

They will interview his family, his friends any girl friends or boy friends even his dog.

If I was Tommy and I wanted this job I would do what I could to be a successful head coach as soon as possible.

If Grier or Rice are winniing 75% of their games and want the job... well..

CDC84
07-30-2012, 11:20 AM
When Few retires, quits, or get fired, I suspect Gonzaga will hire a search firm and appoint a advisory team that will establish the selection criteria and they will follow a process that is intended to hire the best possible coach that is willing to work under the conditions and for what they are willing to pay.

God help us if they do. Hiring an advisory team (a.k.a. "search committee") is one of the single worst mistakes in all of college athletics. They do nothing but slow progress, confuse the search and involve too many people who don't know what the heck they're talking about.

Simply put: if your job is good enough, you, as the athletic director, go out and determine the hire yourself. If you can't make that decision yourself, you shouldn't be an athletic director. I realize the university prez and such need to make the final stamp of approval on the hire, but that's different than forming a search committee. A smart man like Mike Roth doesn't need something like that.....presuming he's still around by the time Few leaves.

bartruff1
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
My experience with Professional Head Hunters has been very positive. The one's I know have retired FBI and like and know where and what to look for.

bartruff1
07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Not a search committee, a professional search firm. I would not even think (for a moment) of making a important and highly visable hire without a background check by a bonded and reputable firm. The AD wouldn't even know where the closets are, much less the skeletons. I am not talking about some alumi or coaches (good old boys) sitting around bsing.

CDC84
07-30-2012, 01:00 PM
To be clear, there is a difference between search firms and search committees. Search firms are valuable when it comes to college athletics. They are a necessary part of the hiring process....and not just when it comes to performing, as you say, background checks. Their main function is to keep the behind the scenes contacts private so that if a potential hire is not interested in the job that it doesn't go public while the job is still vacant. Public rejections are a disaster when it comes to hiring a coach, because it makes other candidates think twice about the detriments of the job. It also drives up their prices.

Every offseason when the coaching carousel is in full swing, you routinely see universities who "get it" and universities who don't. One school will see 2 or 3 coaches publicly reject their job, while another school will mysteriously hire the perfect guy out of nowhere. The latter usually comes about because the athletic director knows who the heck he or she wants and then hires appropriate people to finalize the details. A good AD knows more about the strengths, and most importantly, limitations of their job than anyone else on campus. Every job has a perfect person for it, whether it's Kentucky, Iowa State or Cal State Northridge.

When you see a university screw up the hiring process of a coach, you will almost always discover that there is a search committee behind it. They either hire the wrong guy for the position, or they pay way too much for a third tier candidate who should've been their first tier candidate from the beginning. There are just too many people involved, and most of them are clueless.

Search committees can be a good asset when it comes to hiring for faculty level positions at universities, but they don't work when it comes to hiring college coaches.

bartruff1
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM
My point is that there is no coach in waiting and that when a new coach is hired (IMHO) he will likely be a successful head coach from a mid major or lower level and will under go a body cavity search.

75Zag
07-30-2012, 01:56 PM
My compliments to Lloyd and to his loyalty to GU if he is willing to wait 10 or 20 years for a promotion which - so far as we know - has not been officially promised to him. That is a demonstration of Bulldog Spirit that surpasses anything I am aware of in GU history.

Some of the young people who work at my firm are generally unwilling to wait 6 months for their next promotion, except many of them don't leave because they are hoping they might get lucky and I will die - tomorrow - and open up a seat on the board.

Go Bulldogs!

SweetOnionZag
07-30-2012, 03:14 PM
My compliments to Lloyd and to his loyalty to GU if he is willing to wait 10 or 20 years for a promotion which - so far as we know - has not been officially promised to him. That is a demonstration of Bulldog Spirit that surpasses anything I am aware of in GU history.

Some of the young people who work at my firm are generally unwilling to wait 6 months for their next promotion, except many of them don't leave because they are hoping they might get lucky and I will die - tomorrow - and open up a seat on the board.

Go Bulldogs!

75...I agree, but he has a pretty good gig while he's waiting....unless you're greedy, of course......

SweetOnionZag
07-30-2012, 03:33 PM
He began his collegiate career at Walla Walla Community College in Walla Walla, Washington where he played two years. His 52 points against Treasure Valley Community College still stands as the record for the most points scored in a single game.

jake
07-30-2012, 04:13 PM
My point is that there is no coach in waiting and that when a new coach is hired (IMHO) he will likely be a successful head coach from a mid major or lower level and will under go a body cavity search.

Why would Few say "that's accurate" if there wasn't some kind of agreement on this? It might not be publicly announced via the athletic department, but I don't think Few would be making a public statement if something wasn't agreed on, but I could be wrong. I can't see Gonzaga/Few telling Lloyd he will be the next head coach and then going ahead and conducting a national search whenever Few leaves if Tommy is still around.

bartruff1
07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
To tell you the truth, I doubt that Mark was accurately quoted in context..... I would have to hear it from him....Is is so out of character for Mark.

And if there is legal and binding agreement, I would expect to hear it from the Administration. It is a good story (for Goodman) but I for one , don't understand why the University would do that or announce it this way....

PLUS...no one knows the circumstances under which Few will leave or if he will have any influence over who is his successor....

It could be 100% true but it runs counter to all the experience I have had in selecting or being selected for a job. It makes my BS detector perk up.....

Kiddwell
07-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Maybe not top 5, but you watch what happens to Coug football under his tenure. He could be top 10, look at what he did at TT.

+1

JPtheBeasta
07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
To tell you the truth, I doubt that Mark was accurately quoted in context..... I would have to hear it from him....Is is so out of character for Mark.

And if there is legal and binding agreement, I would expect to hear it from the Administration. It is a good story (for Goodman) but I for one , don't understand why the University would do that or announce it this way....

PLUS...no one knows the circumstances under which Few will leave or if he will have any influence over who is his successor....

It could be 100% true but it runs counter to all the experience I have had in selecting or being selected for a job. It makes my BS detector perk up.....

Wasn't Few recruited from within the program to be the head coach? And Monson before that? Someone needs to turn up their Precedent Detector a bit :]

bartruff1
07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Wasn't Few recruited from within the program to be the head coach? And Monson before that? Someone needs to turn up their Precedent Detector a bit :] Absolutely they were...and coaches before that including Fitz....my opinion is that things have changed in the last ten years... see my original post #18...my detectors are always on alert...

JPtheBeasta
07-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Absolutely they were...and coaches before that including Fitz....my opinion is that things have changed in the last ten years... see my original post #18...my detectors are always on alert...

Fair enough. Your position just seems to be more speculative, which is fine. It's too bad it will take a decade or two before we find out who's right :] Go Zags!