PDA

View Full Version : Bikinis no longer req'd for beach volleyball

gu03alum
07-27-2012, 06:31 AM
LINK (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/at-london-olympics-womens-athletes-wardrobes-are-source-of-debate/2012/07/26/gJQAPcrQCX_story.html)

There goes the only sport I enjoy watching at the Olympics. I would watch basketball, boxing, and weightlifting, but those sports never seem to make the cut with NBC.

Zagpower
07-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Never knew they were required. I assumed they wore the bikinis to get casual fans like me to tune in. It worked.

My favorite part of your linked article was on women's boxing.

Meantime, female boxers, who’ll make their Olympic debut in London, helped deal a knockout blow to an attempt to make them wear skirts in the ring rather than trunks. The idea, proposed by the Amateur International Boxing Association, was intended to help TV viewers distinguish women from men.

“I really didn’t understand that,” said Claressa Shields of Flint, Mich, 17, the youngest member of the U.S. boxing team, following a workout in east London on Thursday. “It was to help separate the men from the women. But we got different names! Women got breasts! We got butts! Can’t you tell which one is who?”

bartruff1
07-27-2012, 01:03 PM
When I read the thread title I assumed they would compete in the nude like the original games. Volleyball (rowing ect) is one of the few team sports that can be played naked as the teams are separated by a net. For example, you couldn't play soccer naked cuz you need the uniforms to quickly identify your teammates.....

gu03alum
07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
When I read the thread title I assumed they would compete in the nude like the original games. Volleyball (rowing ect) is one of the few team sports that can be played naked as the teams are separated by a net. For example, you couldn't play soccer naked cuz you need the uniforms to quickly identify your teammates.....

That would have been great

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Bikinis no longer req'd for beach volleyball

R.I.P. beach volleyball. You had a good run.

bullzag23
08-01-2012, 07:07 AM
R.I.P. beach volleyball. You had a good run.

Hopefully some teams will allow the legacy to live on. I'm looking at you, Brazil. :D

gu03alum
08-01-2012, 10:02 AM
this thread needs pictures

http://www.captainwag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/beach_volleyball.jpg

http://blueollie.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/beach_volleyball_teams.jpg

Once and Future Zag
08-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Really?!

We can't take women athletes seriously unless there's a little T&A action as well?

webspinnre
08-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Really?!

We can't take women athletes seriously unless there's a little T&A action as well?

Thank you. Look, beautiful women are great (and I'm blessed to be married to one), but if the only reason people watch beach volleyball is for the bikinis, then it shouldn't be in the olympics. It's a great sport (though I'm biased, as I coach HS volleyball), and should be appreciated as a sport, not just women running around baring skin.

LongIslandZagFan
08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Thank you. Look, beautiful women are great (and I'm blessed to be married to one), but if the only reason people watch beach volleyball is for the bikinis, then it shouldn't be in the olympics. It's a great sport (though I'm biased, as I coach HS volleyball), and should be appreciated as a sport, not just women running around baring skin.

Great sport to watch... Yes... But... Bikinis certainly don't hurt the appeal.

kitzbuel
08-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Does that mean they can wear nothing?

webspinnre
08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Great sport to watch... Yes... But... Bikinis certainly don't hurt the appeal.

Sure, if the women want to wear them, great. If they'd prefer to wear the shirt/pant combos that some of them have worn, that's great too,

LongIslandZagFan
08-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Sure, if the women want to wear them, great. If they'd prefer to wear the shirt/pant combos that some of them have worn, that's great too,

Would I watch it without the bikinis... yes. With bikinis... yes, but probably a little more closely. :p

Nothing at all... I would most assuredly watch it. :D

IrishZagFan
08-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I feel bad for the athletes who can't cover up their injury tape with their uniforms. Almost an unfair advantage to the other team as you can tell which players are nursing strains, etc.
Here is an example of Sara Goller of Germany. She discretely tried using a flesh colored bandage, but it is still noticeable, though barely.....

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web04/2012/8/2/13/enhanced-buzz-24232-1343926979-9.jpg

How does Irish keep missing out on these threads? ;)

bartruff1
08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
From what I have seen this sport involves beautiful young athletic nearly naked girls from all over the world jumping up and down and hugging each other when they appear to have accomplished some objective. I guess the court and the ball and the net play some minor role in it ???